Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

True story, my wife (no pics) was walking by when I posted this and this conversation ensued:

Her: WTF are you reading? Why are you looking at a pic of Blossom?

Me: *Tries to explain the meandering nature of discussion topics on this board*

Her: Ya, but what does Blossom have to do with it?

Me: *explain article and general dumbassery of aggy*

Her: Wait, so you posted this? You are the weirdo?

Me: Hardly, there is this one fatkid on here that thinks all black people look alike.

She shook her head, turned, and walked out of the room.

If she wasn’t before, your wife is definitely going to cheat on you now.  

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Rumor is starkel wasnt loved by teammates. The word thrown around a lot was “weird.” He easnt hated, but he didnt relate well with his team, apparently. 

Starkel being labeled as “weird” is the least shocking thing I’ve heard after seeing his picture. That being said, if a bunch of Aggy dorks said someone was weird, I might just assume they are probably normal. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Same reason that Sumlin was hailed as the QB whisperer while at A&M. Aggy controls the aggy narrative to the SEC and ESPN. I remember when SEC game day was at college station for a game a few years back. They had this graphic that came up on the Finebaum show about all the things you need to know about A&M. Some of the stuff on that list were ridiculous lies. The first bullet was A&M was the first University in the state of Texas. 

This is true. That being said, after seeing two announcers pontificate for three hours about Charlie Brewer’s lack of recruitment by Texas, I don’t think programme researchers are digging real deep on storyline facts

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is true. That being said, after seeing two announcers pontificate for three hours about Charlie Brewer’s lack of recruitment by Texas, I don’t think programme researchers are digging real deep on storyline facts

Which was hilarious considering our QB2 played the entire game and won.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jimbo doesn’t need 5 star talent because he’s a good developer of talent.  As proof, look at how he developed 5 star Winston jameis who was good enough from day 1 to win a heisman and NC and whose results got worse his next year of development under jimbo. 

Baggins stumbled into his one and only NC like a blind nut finding a squirrel.  I've called him a poor man's Mack Brown but really maybe a 3rd rate Mack would be more appropriate.  BOTH of Mack's QBs that got us to the NC game developed a ton while they were on campus.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Baggins stumbled into his one and only NC like a blind nut finding a squirrel.  I've called him a poor man's Mack Brown but really maybe a 3rd rate Mack would be more appropriate.  BOTH of Mack's QBs that got us to the NC game developed a ton while they were on campus.

Yep. I'm not a Mack fan, but I appreciate what he did do, and it's a disservice to mention Jimbo in the same sentence. Jimbo is a 9 win coach on his best days, and a 5 win coach when he's himself. 

25 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yep. I'm not a Mack fan, but I appreciate what he did do, and it's a disservice to mention Jimbo in the same sentence. Jimbo is a 9 win coach on his best days, and a 5 win coach when he's himself. 

He’s no Saban, but he averaged 11 wins in his 7 complete FSU seasons before cratering in 2017.

27 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

He’s no Saban, but he averaged 11 wins in his 7 complete FSU seasons before cratering in 2017.

22 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I read a stat that over his career he averaged 9 wins and 3-4 losses. I could be wrong 

There are 2 distinct phases of Fisher.  With Winston he was 14-0 and 13-1.  w/o Winston his mean was 9.2 wins while his median was 10 wins - the 5-6 season hits the mean hard but does not affect the median.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

There are 2 distinct phases of Fisher.  With Winston he was 14-0 and 13-1.  w/o Winston his mean was 9.2 wins while his median was 10 wins - the 5-6 season hits the mean hard but does not affect the median.

True. It just means he's pretty much slightly above average, but without a generational qb, he's nothing special.

I agree that he is no one to fear, but we have to accept that the data suggest that Jimbo is generally a successful coach. His national championship was in his fourth year— pretty much his guys in his system at that point. His win totals, all comers, are 10, 9, 12, 14, 13, 10, 10, 5, 9. His first season (10 wins) followed a 7 win campaign. His last one was at a new school so again he could be compared. He won the same number of games, but improved the mean scoring differential from 1.3 to 7.2, won his (lower tier) bowl in a blowout, and improved the final ranking from NR to 16. He followed that up with aggy’s statistically best recruiting the era of online rankings, grabbing Leal and Wright along the way. Looking at all of that data, the 5-win season looks like a bit of an outlier. Tucked against a 13 and a 12, the 14 looks less like one.

For a number of reasons, I think we under Herman will fare much better than aggy under Jimbo. I don’t happen to believe, however, that one of those reasons is, “Jimbo hasn’t accomplished squat without Jameis.” Given that FSU continued to get worse after he left, I think a reasonable summary is that he has the ability to succeed, but that catastrophic program rot after circa 5 years is not unforeseeable.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

True. It just means he's pretty much slightly above average, but without a generational qb, he's nothing special.

Jesus y'all Jimbo is a good coach. Just leave it at that. We're going to be more successful than him because we're Texas but A&M will be good for the forseeable future. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Jesus y'all Jimbo is a good coach. Just leave it at that. We're going to be more successful than him because we're Texas but A&M will be good for the forseeable future. 

He is, and he's a good recruiter, but he's nothing special. He's not going to make the playoffs or anything. Hell, I'd be surprised if he made a NY6 bowl. He's in a tough conference with two Beasts in front of him, and then Georgia and Florida. 

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

1: seems to have anger issues towards players.

2; have heard he is known as a over controlling asshole to his coaches.(coach quit the 1st week)

3: rode Bobby Bowdens legacy into the ground, didnt maintain

4:Jaimies winston... add negatives here.

5: went to aggy. tolerates aggy

6:non-furry foot Hobbit. or is he?

7: cuck

8: my god! you are still here?

Jimbo is not going to tear through a quality SEC, but as has been pointed out repeatedly, a strong SEC top-to-bottom is largely a myth. If Bama struggles with the transition from Saban to its next emperor, there could be a chaotic interregnum similar to 97 and 98. Back when OU, UGA, UF, Nebraska, LSU and Bama played a collective 1 CCG— and we all know *roll left* how that turned out for the Husker dynasty.

Edited by Magus Ossis

True story, my wife (no pics) was walking by when I posted this and this conversation ensued:
Her: WTF are you reading? Why are you looking at a pic of Blossom?
Me: *Tries to explain the meandering nature of discussion topics on this board*
Her: Ya, but what does Blossom have to do with it?
Me: *explain article and general dumbassery of aggy*
Her: Wait, so you posted this? You are the weirdo?
Me: Hardly, there is this one fatkid on here that thinks all black people look alike.
She shook her head, turned, and walked out of the room.
All black people look alike?

36251c042ccf35ebe2b8add771f9a92b.jpgde44960ad31e2b306fc45d981ac6df03.jpg7f1917f6c36a5d5901a9bca2efd4d1a3.gif00b0c0f9322a0aa6aa8531c80e760520.gif00f13debe6cf307ef168c3d2b3975a2c.gifccc41270acdc06fc8b38354a182d422f.gif24ae8e71b0bf824eb22b7dd144ddd8b6.gif

7 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

His national championship was in his fourth year— pretty much his guys in his system at that point.

Jimbo was the OC at FSU for 3 years prior to becoming head coach and was running the ship in recruiting. He had "his guys" for a while.

19 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Jimbos win totals are deceiving.
Those win totals were in a weak acc.
Add in the fact with a track record of such win totals and FSU ran his ass out of town.
Gonna be glorious when he craters at atm. Not sure aggy will turn on him as they wont want to look like the dipshits they are.

Excellent point.  In 2011, Bilbo went 9-4 while only playing 2 ranked teams (including the bowl game).  He didn't beat either of them.

In 2015, he went 10-4 and beat exactly one ranked team - Florida.  Again only 2 ranked teams in the regular season and he lost to the third (Houston) in the Peach Bowl.  There were some years with 3-4 wins over ranked teams but overall FSU had an incredibly easy road to 8-9 wins every year.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

Excellent point.  In 2011, Bilbo went 9-4 while only playing 2 ranked teams (including the bowl game).  He didn't beat either of them.

In 2015, he went 10-4 and beat exactly one ranked team - Florida.  Again only 2 ranked teams in the regular season and he lost to the third (Houston) in the Peach Bowl.  There were some years with 3-4 wins over ranked teams but overall FSU had an incredibly easy road to 8-9 wins every year.

Yep.  Florida and Miami being train wrecks also made recruiting easy.  Clemson hadn’t started winning early in Jimbos tenure. 

31 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Jimbos win totals are deceiving.
Those win totals were in a weak acc.
Add in the fact with a track record of such win totals and FSU ran his ass out of town.
Gonna be glorious when he craters at atm. Not sure aggy will turn on him as they wont want to look like the dipshits they are.

Look, I agree that Jimbo is overrated,  but stop with this. He won in a weak ACC and a weak SEC etc etc. Most major schools only have 4 games per year of any consequence because all of the P5 conferences are top heavy. If you swapped out the bottom half of any of the conferences the results would be no different, SEC included. You cant tell me Vandy and Kentucky would fare better in the B12 than what they do now, or that Baylor and Kansas would be any better in the B10. Jimbo has only coached at schools where he can out talent most teams on the roster, aggy included. In the games that he actually has to win on gameplan, he is average. 

The truly great coaches are the ones who can win consistently with less talent like Leach and Snyder. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Look, I agree that Jimbo is overrated,  but stop with this. He won in a weak ACC and a weak SEC etc etc. Most major schools only have 4 games per year of any consequence because all of the P5 conferences are top heavy. If you swapped out the bottom half of any of the conferences the results would be no different, SEC included. You cant tell me Vandy and Kentucky would fare better in the B12 than what they do now, or that Baylor and Kansas would be any better in the B10. Jimbo has only coached at schools where he can out talent most teams on the roster, aggy included. In the games that he actually has to win on gameplan, he is average. 

Except he can't just out talent LSU, Auburn, and Bama  and then he will have to face UGA or Florida in the SEC championship game. Can Jimbo sleep walk to 8-9 games a year? Sure . But getting to 10-12 wins is much harder in the SEC than the ACC and aggy didn't pay 75 million for 9-4 seasons.

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The truly great coaches are the ones who can win consistently with less talent like Leach and Snyder. 

In many years at FSU there were only 1-2 significant games - half what you'd see in most conferences.  Already cited 2011 and 2015.  In 2012, he beat Clemson and lost to Florida.  Even in 2014, he had 2 marginal ranked teams (Duke, Maryland) to go with 2 really good teams (Clemson, Miami) on the schedule to get to the NC game.  Maryland turned out to be an illusion.  For reference, using the same methodology Texas face ranked opponents in SIX games before the bowls this year in what was a somewhat down year for the Big XII: USC, TCU, OUx2, ISU and WVU.

It matters a lot if you have a big talent advantage over the 3rd-6th best teams on your schedule.  For Jimbo at FSU those teams were often Duke, Georgia Tech, Maryland or NC State.  Next year at aggy those teams will be Georgia, LSU, Auburn and MS State.  I'd say that's quite different.  Will be a good test of Jimbo's coaching ability.

Edited by sushihorn

15 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Except he can't just out talent LSU, Auburn, and Bama  and then he will have to face UGA or Florida in the SEC championship game. Can Jimbo sleep walk to 8-9 games a year? Sure . But getting to 10-12 wins is much harder in the SEC than the ACC and aggy didn't pay 75 million for 9-4 seasons.

Yes... yes they did. 

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Jimbo won 11ish games and a national title at a program that was famous for winning 10+ games and had won two national titles in the 15 years before he took over. He now coaches at a program where 9 wins is the routine ceiling and no championships of any kind have been won in a generation. 

A generation? How about since the Greatest Generation was a group of teenagers ? ATM is one of three P5 teams to not have finished in the final four in football, baseball or basketball since WW2, along with the mighty Texas Tech and Northwestern. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

A generation? How about since the Greatest Generation was a group of teenagers ? ATM is one of three P5 teams to not have finished in the final four in football, baseball or basketball since WW2, along with the mighty Texas Tech and Northwestern. 

that's why I said a championship of any kind-- meaning the only conference title they've won since the death of the SWC is itself more than two decades old

Yes they did. aggy in the sec sec sec championship game? Lol wut? Is Dildo Bagginses gonna buy em all tickets?