Your official hypothetical thoughts on the move : what will you miss, what are you excited/not excited about?

closetohumping

Look forward to:

New schedule, games will be either really high profile or so new that it's still exciting

Rekindling old rivalries

Increased competition in most sports

More engaged fans.  SEC fans seem to know and love their sports

Not being associated with baylor

Playing aggy on Tday

Watching J Guilbeau cover Boise st wide receivers

Not looking forward to:

SEC chants in DKR.  Please don't do this unless it's to mock aggy.

Miss:

??

Edited by closetohumping

Good:

• First time since 1919 to have OU, pigs, and aggy in the same conference as us
  • More games against LSU, Bama, and Georgia
  • More games at Ole Miss
  • No more round robin + conference championship game
  • No more football against KU, KSU, or WVU
  • SEC conference baseball

Bad:

• SEC chants
  • Losing pounding TTU and BU regularly, which are easy enough to drive to for a weekend
  • ISU now that they got good
  • OU vs OSU - Bedlam - at least as as component for conference standings
  • KU vs UT basketball
  • No longer run the conference

Remains to be seen:

• Divisions or pods
  • Don't move the Texas-OU game out of the Cotton Bowl stadium
Edited by n64ra
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This move has to happen. It was never "if", but "when". After the SCOTUS forced the NCAA to abdicate amateurism rules (of which NIL is only the first domino), the rules of college football are changing. Nothing we can do about it. If we want to play the game at the highest level (I know we haven't in a few years, but that's a different post), then we're going to have to change with it. The SEC is currently the closest thing to the semi-pro game. I think the SEC itself will shortly (in the next 5 years) undergo further change, but again, another post.

I wish this weren't the case. The Big 12 plays fascinating (if not always high level) football. The relationships between everyone in the State of Texas makes water-cooler talk passionate. The shared history won't easily be replaced.

This isn't about money. It's only mostly about recruiting. The Big 12 was never stable even with Texas anchoring it. ISU getting a different offer or WVU leaving would have also killed it. For all the good things in the Big 12, it was the State of Texas and a couple of states that no one lives in. You can't run a conference on that. The best time to change jobs is when you don't have to.

When the "big boys" reconfigure the amateurism rules for college football, the conversation will start with the SEC. The Texas Athletic Department is, like it or not, the most massive star in that particular galaxy. They have to have a seat at the table.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

This move has to happen. It was never "if", but "when". After the SCOTUS forced the NCAA to abdicate amateurism rules (of which NIL is only the first domino), the rules of college football are changing. Nothing we can do about it. If we want to play the game at the highest level (I know we haven't in a few years, but that's a different post), then we're going to have to change with it. The SEC is currently the closest thing to the semi-pro game. I think the SEC itself will shortly (in the next 5 years) undergo further change, but again, another post.

I wish this weren't the case. The Big 12 plays fascinating (if not always high level) football. The relationships between everyone in the State of Texas makes water-cooler talk passionate. The shared history won't easily be replaced.

This isn't about money. It's only mostly about recruiting. The Big 12 was never stable even with Texas anchoring it. ISU getting a different offer or WVU leaving would have also killed it. For all the good things in the Big 12, it was the State of Texas and a couple of states that no one lives in. You can't run a conference on that. The best time to change jobs is when you don't have to.

When the "big boys" reconfigure the amateurism rules for college football, the conversation will start with the SEC. The Texas Athletic Department is, like it or not, the most massive star in that particular galaxy. They have to have a seat at the table.

Solid post, except for the third paragraph.  It's ALL about money.  Secondarily it's about power vis a vis other schools and conferences and the networks, and the NCAA or its successors.  But the power flows mostly from the money.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Good:

basically everything. Better conference, the hangers on/rape apologists/small market teams riding our coattails for the past decade get put where they belong in a mid major conf 

Bad:

SEC fans and Pawwwwwl etc. 

Edited by 936horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good:

New teams coming into DKR and new teams to play every year

Great away trips for fans

Better recruiting since the "not in the SEC" excuse goes away

The program isn't leading any longer and is just one of 16, no longer having to carry the weight or get the blame from the others in the conference

No more football games against Kansas

Playing aggy and Arkansas again

Watching some in the Big 12 scramble for lifeboats (looking at your Baylor)

Big 12 officiating soon no longer being a concern and/or excuse for why we lose a game

No more Tim Brando!

Bad:

Thin skinned Texas fans worrying about what the others in the SEC and the national media are saying or thinking about us

The latest hot online rumor about how big mean Texas wants X now

SEC fans doing SEC things at DKR

Having to deal with aggy and Arkansas again

SEC Rant and Texaggy threads being constantly posted on here

SEC officiating now being a reason/excuse why we lose a game

Based on how the division are set up, not getting to play cool teams in the East for a long time like Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

This is a good post.  But, I think a Texas/ou anchor would've kept the big 12 alive until shit hit the fans, like 16 team conferences.  ISU or WVU leaving would've made no impact.  BYU or UCF probably would've been similar in value.  

I could care less about our history with most of these schools.  Just ou.

Forgot to add this as a bad:

I will miss Gus and Joel Klatt doing our games.

Edited by closetohumping

Good:

New rivalries/conjuring old rivalries. 

A chance to beat A&M by more than 77.

OU/TX game stays intact. 

New recruiting opportunities. 

A chance to compete at the top and dominate the mid-tier SEC schools who think we have no chance because it’s oh so difficult.

Cut ties with inferior athletic programs.

Not playing at 11am every week.

Bad:

Moving out of comfort zone of a conference we have dominated since its inception. 

Having to listen to my brother-in-law give me OSU football updates from that weeks exciting American Athletic Conference action. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Excited for more high-profile, high-upside games in big rowdy venues. Hopeful about the prospect of improving recruiting even beyond where it has been by having a bigger presence through the whole deep south and Florida, losing fewer in-state targets to Tech/TCU/Baylor, and taking away Aggy's best sales pitch.

Will miss the round robin and the wild, funslingin' Big 12 full of plucky underdog teams that have a history of punching above their weight. Sad to see the landscape of college football shifting away from a place where there are a zillion teams and an upstart school like KSU or Okie Lite or Tech or TCU can catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run and get into the top 5. Where we could see something like Baylor and TCU both being ranked in the top 10 and having a completely bonkers shootout for the ages where Baylor wins 61-58 after being down 21 points with 10 minutes left. It feels like things are rapidly shifting towards an NFL-style model where all the money and talent and opportunity will flow to a much smaller set of teams concentrated into a couple of megaconferences. I'm glad to be one of the teams on that's "in," but the chaos and the diversity and the sheer scope of CFB has always been a lot of what I love about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Good: 

Watching A&M sink back to the mean without any recruiting advantages

Watching the national narrative on Texas change quickly once they realize that we can go toe to toe with every team in the conference

Keeping the OU/TX rivalry intact, including location

Ridding ourselves of the LHN albatross and the stigma that created

Removing the last possible barrier to returning to an elite level of recruiting

Watching Baylor, TCU, and KSU's programs implode

Fun road games and some awesome regular season matchups

Bad:

Having to host aggy at DKR and sully the stadium

Having to listen to aggy complain about every thing we do again

Some of the roadtrips will suck. Who wants to go to Starkville?

Listening to a year of Texas ruined college football narrative, and we aren't ready for the SEC bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Constant said:

Good:

New rivalries/conjuring old rivalries. 

A chance to beat A&M by more than 77.

OU/TX game stays intact. 

New recruiting opportunities. 

A chance to compete at the top and dominate the mid-tier SEC schools who think we have no chance because it’s oh so difficult.

Cut ties with inferior athletic programs.

Not playing at 11am every week.

Bad:

Moving out of comfort zone of a conference we have dominated since its inception. 

Having to listen to my brother-in-law give me OSU football updates from that weeks exciting American Athletic Conference action. 

The SEC types might need to watch their asses about OU recruiting.  They have a good west coast pipeline already.  If they can position themselves as the defacto SEC school on the west coast, that might improve.  They already get some players out of Florida but they've never been able to get into the south.  If they can do that while keep the CA, TX, and FL pipelines, that's a helluva footprint.  

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The SEC types might need to watch their asses about OU recruiting.  They have a good west coast pipeline already.  If they can position themselves as the defacto SEC school on the west coast, that might improve.  They already get some players out of Florida but they've never been able to get into the south.  If they can do that while keep the CA, TX, and FL pipelines, that's a helluva footprint.  

We shall see. Been pretty successful in Florida at certain positions, but have had no luck pulling in any big ol/dl out of the south. Having a good first year in the league is paramount. Have to put all mid/low tier schools in their place. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Solid post, except for the third paragraph.  It's ALL about money.  Secondarily it's about power vis a vis other schools and conferences and the networks, and the NCAA or its successors.  But the power flows mostly from the money.

NIL.

Now that amateur college athletics is officially dead, where do recruits want to build their brand?  For many, it's going to be the highest earning years of their life, and the money isn't coming from alumni or ticket sales.  The Kardashination of athletics is officially underway.

Austin? Norman? NOLA? South Beach? Atlanta?

Eventually Texas will dominate on the field but recruiting will be 100% about eyeballs in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and the suburbs in-between.

Edited by BearSchlong

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I think ou leads for a couple of high profile Georgia kids in 22 or 23.  

Good:
1. new road trips to towns that give a shit about football, stadium experience will be turned up to 11 when Longhorns visit..not to mention DKR hosting some compelling matchups more frequently.

2. A major sports network endlessly pumping the conference to the entire country..skewing perception.

3. aggy can no longer use SEC! SEC! against us in recruiting, and they've spent the past 10 years singing the SEC praises in Texas, we won't have to do a thing other than mention we're now part of it, then move on to pumping our program. Oh, and tears..lots of toxic but still sweet aggy tears.

4. SEC shorts on YT. They can be quite funny and clever sometimes, looking forward to Texas and BlowU being featured a lot now..good or bad, it's humor.

Bad:

1. I was really hoping to never play aggy again unless it's a bowl game they couldn't gracefully dodge. Is anyone truly looking forward to a Collie Station road trip?

2. A major sports network pumping the conference to the entire country. Even if we benefit at some point, it still gives me eye rolls

4. Dumb as fuck inbred SEC fans, most of whom have never stepped foot on a college campus unless attending a game.

• Hook 'Em 3

There is no downside here for me. Exchanging SEC chants, SEC mouthbreathing fans, and an occasional road trip to Starkville for having to carry a boring conference with no leadership, indifferent fanbases, and everyone blaiming Texas for whatever is wrong in their lives is good trade.

On the good side:

-Rivalry games every year with Arkansas, ATM, and OU will be fucking awesome. 

-State hegemony being permanently reestablished over little brother and all of their administrative and fanbase handwringing. 

-Getting the ability to troll them in very public, viral and national ways because their buttons are easily pushed and the effort is worth it. Stay tuned.

-Ending the SEC recruiting imbalance in-state.

-A conference that cares and that Texas doesn't have to carry. Sorry dipshits claiming Texas will try to run the conference - UT has 100 years of fatigue from carrying a bunch of also-ran schools on its back to keep shit together (not talking about obvious programs that don't fit that like OU).

-Way better conference match-ups.

-Not cringing about people trying to brag about the conference, defend it, or show comradery within it. Sorry, never liked the conference and happy to see it collapse.

-Witnessing karmic retribution to Baylor for Teaff's last game, the bullshit of them using politics to join the Big 12, trying to shut down Texas leaving now, running a fucking rape factory, and murdering a basketball player and then trying to cover it up. Not a better bunch of pompous, thankless, entitled shit heads to be handed their head for the rest of their athletic future. Fuck that school and their programs.

-Getting to see KSU, one of the great coattail riders of all time, headed towards a rightful position in the FCS alongside Grand Valley State.

-No more Tillman/Brando sillines.

-I never wanted to play Arkansas or ATM again, but with this turn of events, I'm happy to see both again, and for different reasons. Maybe this helps Arkansas become relevant again. I am assuming until shown otherwise that ATM continues to wile away in irrelevance and we proactively continue to aid in that. 

I could go on for days, but fuck me, this is all good.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

I will miss jack shit about the Big 12. All the other teams in conference ever did were bitch about Texas. 
I hope the “Ungrateful 8” burn to the  ground and are forced to have games once a year on “ESPN-the Ocho” with the other niche sports like “lumberjack challenge” & “yard darts”. 

I’m looking forward to going back to “the Grove”, heading to Athens, checking out Gainesville etc

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

There is no downside.  To add to what others have said, for me it's seeing the asshole Baylor and TCU get face fucked by all this.  Those two fanbases talked more massive amounts of shit than almost any other.  Especially TCU during their runs, starting with Charlie's teams.  I hope each choke or massive sausages of shit and get relegated to the MAC or WAC.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Good 

- money, open season for NIL 

- more interesting games 

- someone else can hopefully beat OU other than us 

- recruiting bumps

- laughing at aggy across all axis of measure 

- piggy 

- playoff expansion opportunity 

- tossing baylor into the toilet , again 

- Texas credited with blowing up another conference, can't wait till we're blamed for blowing up the PAC and ACC 

Mixed 

- not running the conference. I hope this lets Texas focus on sports while we regroup and inevitably take it back over 

- feel mixed, not bad mind you, for Tech , OSU, and ISU 

Bad 

- politicians wasting time on football instead of fixing the fucking power grid 

• Hook 'Em 2

I live in St. Louis now that I am retired so I can spend the next few years driving my grandchildren to various practices so the good things are

1. Great road trips within 400 miles - Columbia. Oxford, Nashville and Fayetteville.  This is close enough for trips to watch baseball and volleyball.
  2. Not having to keep the most expensive tier of DirecTV so I can get the LHN
  3. Pushing Mizzou's shit in every year so I don't have to listen to all their whining, they are almost as bad as eATMe

What will I miss about the Big XII?  Nothing!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Based on how the division are set up, not getting to play cool teams in the East for a long time like Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida.

Playing these SEC East bluebloods and rekindling aggy and pig rivalries are what I'm most looking forward to. More helmet games

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:It feels like things are rapidly shifting towards an NFL-style model where all the money and talent and opportunity will flow to a much smaller set of teams concentrated into a couple of megaconferences. I'm glad to be one of the teams on that's "in," but the chaos and the diversity and the sheer scope of CFB has always been a lot of what I love about it. 

This is where I am. For better or worse, CFB is going to only be played at the highest level by teams that have massive “sports fans” followings. There will be no room left for teams that rely on alumni and a few hometown backers.  And really, we can stop using “team” and “school” interchangeably, the distance between AD and university will only grow.

Is this good for the sport of football? I don’t know. I am doubtful. How long will there be interest in what is basically junior NFL and what will the cost be of losing all the alumni of schools like Tech who fall to ACU-type levels of interest now that their teams aren’t even theoretically in the mix? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

not looking forward to everyone under the sun start sentences with "SEC level ..." whether talking about recruits or physical attribute of a current player etc...

This was done because we were losing ground in recruiting, right?  So looking forward to UT bagmen and bagwomen to start making SEC level payola to the recruits.  Shit, i just did it 

Selfishly from Texas perspective, this is a good move.

But overall, I am afraid college football is losing the "college" aspect. By relegating dozens of P5 and more outside of P5 to secondary status outside of SEC and whatever BIG decides to do, the college following along with the fanfare associated with football at each college suffers a severe setback. If there is no kinship and association to college football, SEC-BIG slugfest is just a junior NFL that is relevant to only a couple of dozen colleges. 100+ other campuses may just tune out.

Keeping the changing landscape in mind, I wish the bigwigs (Texas/OU (B12), ND, SEC, BIG, PAC, etc.) had got together and worked out what is best for college football rather than focusing on how to grab a bigger slice of the pie for themselves. I am afraid that the pie may lose its flavor in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

better - beating Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida
   -  more whining from Collie Station

worse - losing to Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida
 - not having UT/OU being the game of the year in the conference year after year after year

different - being the newbie in the conference, and not having the influence and power to run the show

4 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

These two posts pretty much sum up my thoughts. I suppose whether or not you think that makes this a good move is subjective. And maybe from the perspective of power/money/Texas Football, Inc. it is.

But personally, I'm not excited about this move at all. I hate basically everything about it other than playing Arkansas regularly again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Look forward to:

New schedule, games will be either really high profile or so new that it's still exciting

Rekindling old rivalries

Increased competition in most sports

More engaged fans.  SEC fans seem to know and love their sports

Not being associated with baylor

Playing aggy on Tday

Watching J Guilbeau cover Boise st wide receivers

Not looking forward to:

SEC chants in DKR.  Please don't do this unless it's to mock aggy.

Miss:

??

I will punch a motherfucker in the face at DKR if they participate in an “SEC” chant. My two diplomas are from the University of Texas, not the University of Conference…

• Hook 'Em 2

Look forward to:

Competent conference leadership
Being overrated and reaping the benefits
The 1 out of 100 SEC fans who come here and are intelligent and entertaining
Stability and not worrying about our next conference

Not looking forward to:

The 99 out of 100 SEC fans who come here and suck
Moving to a weaker basketball conference
SEC Network

Will miss:

Longhorn Network - some people around here are nuts, LHN is awesome. Baseball games all season, etc. Losing it will suck.
Best and deepest basketball conference in the country
Local nature of our conference my entire life, I hate the national trend but it's not going to stop

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, n64ra said:

Good:

• First time since 1919 to have OU, pigs, and aggy in the same conference as us
  • More games against LSU, Bama, and Georgia
  • More games at Ole Miss
  • No more round robin + conference championship game
  • No more football against KU, KSU, or WVU
  • SEC conference baseball

Bad:

• SEC chants
  • Losing pounding TTU and BU regularly, which are easy enough to drive to for a weekend
  • ISU now that they got good
  • OU vs OSU - Bedlam - at least as as component for conference standings
  • KU vs UT basketball
  • No longer run the conference

Remains to be seen:

• Divisions or pods
  • Don't move the Texas-OU game out of the Cotton Bowl stadium

Being in the SEC will have 0 bearing on that either way. 

One thing I'm really happy to see is that this administration understands what Texas is and how to leverage it.

Need a head coach? Go get the best one currently on the market. Need a staff? Go give your coach a blank check. If it doesn't work out, do it again in a few years. Go build the biggest fucking stadium you can. Rest of the conference holding you back? Walk your big golden balls to the SEC and drop them directly on the Commissioner's desk. We don't have a lot of recent football success, but we do have a fucking preposterous amount of money, and it's about time we started acting like the big rich baddie that everyone seems to think we are anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I will punch a motherfucker in the face at DKR if they participate in an “SEC” chant. My two diplomas are from the University of Texas, not the University of Conference…

Yeah, I agree with this as well. I have the same take on this that Jim Cornette had on ECW. "Oh great, I just fuckin' fractured my suprailiac, broke my fuckin' leg and shoved a fuckin' wooden spike up my taint, and they're not chanting "Jim Jim Jim," they're chanting' ECW?! Fuckin' stupid!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m most looking forward to having leadership at the very top of the program. Having confidence in Jay, CDC and Eltife will be a welcome departure from the past 10+ years. 

Could it finally be that the “Big 3” sports finally click at the same time at UT when women’s sports are also coming together? 

If so, Jay, CDC and Kevin will have accomplished something many have tried and few have achieved.