Your official hypothetical thoughts on the move : what will you miss, what are you excited/not excited about?

closetohumping

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Look forward to:

Competent conference leadership
Being overrated and reaping the benefits
The 1 out of 100 SEC fans who come here and are intelligent and entertaining
Stability and not worrying about our next conference

Not looking forward to:

The 99 out of 100 SEC fans who come here and suck
Moving to a weaker basketball conference
SEC Network

Will miss:

Longhorn Network - some people around here are nuts, LHN is awesome. Baseball games all season, etc. Losing it will suck.
Best and deepest basketball conference in the country
Local nature of our conference my entire life, I hate the national trend but it's not going to stop

Absolutely this.  The ability to watch every Longhorn home game, with Zeke and Keith calling, more than made up for any other shortcomings of the LHN.  I'm going to miss it, especially with the move to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Bad:0

Dealing with SEC fans

Specifically a bunch of fucking rednecks. God damn thought I'd escape the fucking rednecks...

And I promise I'll be the first to bitchslap a Longhorn chanting secX3 at DKR. 

Other than that, fuck all those worthless states and your schools. Yeah we've sucked shit through a straw the past decade but here we are anyways. Deal with it. 

Also. 

Dear aggy,

Lolllll

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Yeah, I agree with this as well. I have the same take on this that Jim Cornette had on ECW. "Oh great, I just fuckin' fractured my suprailiac, broke my fuckin' leg and shoved a fuckin' wooden spike up my taint, and they're not chanting "Jim Jim Jim," they're chanting' ECW?! Fuckin' stupid!"

Fuck Jim Cornette hard. But yeah, he's not wrong there.

Good: 

First game I get to see Texas play at Neyland Stadium.  I lived there for 20 years, have a ton of Vol alum friends, and my wife is a TN alum.

Not having to listen to my dad (Tech guy) complain about ref conspiracies allowing Texas to beat Tech.

Bad:

Tim Brando

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Will miss:

Longhorn Network - some people around here are nuts, LHN is awesome. Baseball games all season, etc. Losing it will suck.

I told an arky boss that you can keep LHN. My only demand is Christmas Day Bevo. Fair trade

Good:  Very much looking forward to Rice this year.  Can't wait to see what they do to us this year...

Better:  Assuming Texas is going to be better this year and we are in the running for the BigXII championship, this could be the last year we have to play OU twice.

Bad:  This guy probably moves to the SEC network to broadcast our games.

RS608154_20180731_MR2_3619-e1536777165754-310x310.jpg.aa6ed16390311aa2c574c5c1ec271f2b.jpg

Funny:  Lowell has 13 connections as a lead anchor for a network.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Good: 

First game I get to see Texas play at Neyland Stadium.  I lived there for 20 years, have a ton of Vol alum friends, and my wife is a TN alum.

Not having to listen to my dad (Tech guy) complain about ref conspiracies allowing Texas to beat Tech.

Bad:

Tim Brando

If you haven't been there, its one of my least favorite stadiums.  Think the seat stripes must be 16 inches wide.  Nobody pays attention to them anyway.  The music is the loudest I have heard.  Impossible to talk to anyone between plays.

Tailgating is fun there.  We have Knoxville friends and my wife is a UGA alum so we usually go to the UGA-UTK games.

Pros: 

I think Texas stands to benefit the most from NIL.  And the SEC hype machine can only help us.  Within 5 years, and maybe 2 or 3, we should be on the same level with Bama, tOSU, and Clemson.

And aggy will simultaneously return to their .500-ish roots.  Hearing them console themselves by saying things like, "Sips really missed on this kid" after we take the top 25 Texas prospects every year is going to be awesome.

We'll have a chance to immediately win SEC championships in basketball and baseball.

Cons: 

I was really looking forward to pounding KU in hoops a bunch of times.

That's the only one I can think of, which says a lot.

11 hours ago, dec3169 said:

Good:  Very much looking forward to Rice this year.  Can't wait to see what they do to us this year...

Better:  Assuming Texas is going to be better this year and we are in the running for the BigXII championship, this could be the last year we have to play OU twice.

Bad:  This guy probably moves to the SEC network to broadcast our games.

RS608154_20180731_MR2_3619-e1536777165754-310x310.jpg.aa6ed16390311aa2c574c5c1ec271f2b.jpg

Funny:  Lowell has 13 connections as a lead anchor for a network.

Yep...   He will probably be placed to cover the SEC West schools since he is already based here... Sigh and ugh!

Nothing to add to the good column, but I'm most excited about a renewed Arkansas rivalry, which for much of the 20th Century was the greatest rivalry in college football. We go to church with a bunch of pigs, and Texas still is in its head more than any secsecsec school. 

My concern is our ability to step up to the competition. Since 1997 we have the same amount of XII titles as Baylor. We have not exactly been dominating the XII, so we better step up or its going to be more 80s and 90s.

Pros:   

aggy back on T Day or T Day+1.  

Arkansas and LSU on the schedule and not losing OUsux.

Rather play the existing bottom feeders in the SEC that the KU's.   New teams potentially every year or two which will make my trips to Austin more frequent. 

UK and Tennessee will make good basketball matchups for both the men and women. A few more teams on the womens side like LSU with the former Baylor lady coach, South Carolina, etc will make them work harder.

Baseball will be murders row, perhaps more tougher schedule wise than football.   Could be 10 of 16 could easily make the tourney based on this years results.

Rig 12 Refs be gone!   And hopefully not picked up by the SEC.

Cons:

The bellyaching from aggy and the some of the SEC old timers suggesting we don't belong in the SEC

Having a horrible season our first year and hearing the above.  Don't think this will happen, but the last ten years of mediocrity has me prepared for this...  Sadly

51 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Pros: 

I think Texas stands to benefit the most from NIL.  And the SEC hype machine can only help us.  Within 5 years, and maybe 2 or 3, we should be on the same level with Bama, tOSU, and Clemson.

And aggy will simultaneously return to their .500-ish roots.  Hearing them console themselves by saying things like, "Sips really missed on this kid" after we take the top 25 Texas prospects every year is going to be awesome.

We'll have a chance to immediately win SEC championships in basketball and baseball.

Cons: 

I was really looking forward to pounding KU in hoops a bunch of times.

That's the only one I can think of, which says a lot.

I'll settle for hopefully pounding UK in hoops.  

Not sure if I mentioned it in "pros' but I really look forward to watching Baylor play Tulsa for a shot at the weedeater bowl.

Did any of you ever consider that Ar Kansas and SEC crappiness helped cost us a shot at the 2008 title?

Ous non- conference schedule was considered more difficult in part because new Big 12 add Cincy was much better than well entrenched SEC Arkansas.

And we’re rewarding them by opening the doors to Texas recruiting.

The good -
new opponents.
No more excuses recruiting

The not so good -
SEC SEC SEC.
End of college football as we know it (actually the continuation of that trend).
No longer playing our brothers (most consider this a benefit).

TBD -
The Aggies walked. Not sure I want to play again.
Stupid scheduling due to many teams.
Refs. Not sure these guys will any more friend. But WaltvAnderson can kiss mine.
Uncertainty with respect to noncon scheduling.

Good

• Playing Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia
  • Not playing Baylor, TCU, and Kansas
  • Good baseball
  • No Lowell Galindo?

Bad

• Playing aggy, Miss, Miss St, Mizzou, Kentucky, Tennesse, South Carolina, and Vandy
  • Not playing Tech, OSU, ISU, KSU, and West Virginia
  • Worse basketball
  • No LHN
  • SECN
  • Mouth-breathing, redneck, cheating culture
  • Further destruction of regional conferences
  • Another step in the relentless march to professionalize and nationalize college football
  • Further loss of interest in college football everywhere but the southeast
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2021 at 11:29 AM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Nothing to add to the good column, but I'm most excited about a renewed Arkansas rivalry, which for much of the 20th Century was the greatest rivalry in college football. We go to church with a bunch of pigs, and Texas still is in its head more than any secsecsec school. 

My concern is our ability to step up to the competition. Since 1997 we have the same amount of XII titles as Baylor. We have not exactly been dominating the XII, so we better step up or its going to be more 80s and 90s.

image.gif

To me these are two very different questions.  

There’s nothing negative about leaving the Big 12. It died a decade ago.  For almost 10 years it has been a revisit of the tail end of the SWC. 

There are significant negatives about joining the SEC. Do they outweigh staying in the Big 12?  No. Were there other viable options? Doesn’t look like it. 

• Like 2

I hate to leave the Big 12 before beating K State some more. It feels like they’ve owned us in football.

it would been nice to watch Beard build a team that would regularly win the conference and legitimately beat KU. 

Not thrilled to be more enmeshed with Aggies again soon.

Baylor’s hard times are quite an upside though.

I will miss nothing. Absolutely nothing. I will be excited for everything. Big games every week, renewing our rivalry with aggy, forming a new rivalry with LSU, getting the SEC “bump” when we’re good again. There’s sooo much upside to this move and very little downside. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Excited to not be in the same conference as TCU and Baylor. Mostly because TCU owned our ass. Love the idea of Baylor getting thrown to the curb, they deserve it.

As a season ticket holder, excited for the games to come. I was born too late to really experience the Arky hate, but that’ll be a fun rivalry to revive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i honestly cant think of a single negative about leaving, except no more gus johnson. 

Agree on this, his style made for some great calls. But the prospect of getting Brad Nessler on the call is a good one, even if he’s matched up with that jackass Gary Danielson. Idk why ESPN didn’t put Nessler up in the booth with Herbstreit when Musberger left. Fowler just doesn’t have “it” imo.

Playing A&M.  Clashes in cultures, traditions, school philosophies, band makeup, mascots, family ties and so much is what distinguishes college football from all the rest.   You can't duplicate, in any other sport to the same degree, what happens when all these things come together and two institutions play it out on a football field.

Cannot wait for this game to be played again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2021 at 2:33 PM, BrazilHorn said:

I will miss jack shit about the Big 12. All the other teams in conference ever did were bitch about Texas. 
I hope the “Ungrateful 8” burn to the  ground and are forced to have games once a year on “ESPN-the Ocho” with the other niche sports like “lumberjack challenge” & “yard darts”. 

I’m looking forward to going back to “the Grove”, heading to Athens, checking out Gainesville etc

You will love Athens. Hopefully, UT plays us in the late fall when the weather is cool and leaves are changing. 

Gainesville will let you down. Fla, the state, has no character, it is Spring Break. 

Underrated towns are Oxford and Fayetteville. Also for road trips, Lexington and Columbia, SC are surprisingly cool. Bourbon trail and horse tracks in the Bluegrass and you are 1.5 hours from Charleston and the SoCar beaches in Columbia. A lot of fans will stay on the coast/Chucktown for a few days around the SC game. 

Edited by Tomatillo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looking forward to:

Being rid of Baylor 

Better officiating

New towns to visit

Renewing the Arkansas rivalry

Miss:

Playing Iowa State and Okie State. They have great fan bases. 

Not looking forward to:

SEC chants... 

aggy bringing the fake army to Austin again for games. 

Also, they will never move Texas-OU game out of the Cotton Bowl. I read somewhere that the OU and UT athletics departments didn't like the atmosphere in Arlington.

3 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

You will love Athens. Hopefully, UT plays us in the late fall when the weather is cool and leaves are changing. 

Gainesville will let you down. Fla, the state, has no character, it is Spring Break. 

Underrated towns are Oxford and Fayetteville. Also for road trips, Lexington and Columbia, SC are surprisingly cool. Bourbon trail and horse tracks in the Bluegrass and you are 1.5 hours from Charleston and the SoCar beaches in Columbia. A lot of fans will stay on the coast/Chucktown for a few days around the SC game. 

Thanks. I definitely left some great spots off my mentions. I’ve been to Oxford but will be happy to go again. Nashville vs Vandy will be cool. 

net net they are all better than Waco or Lubbock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, Noogman said:

Agree on this, his style made for some great calls. But the prospect of getting Brad Nessler on the call is a good one, even if he’s matched up with that jackass Gary Danielson. Idk why ESPN didn’t put Nessler up in the booth with Herbstreit when Musberger left. Fowler just doesn’t have “it” imo.

You serious, Clark?

I realize this probably goes in the stupid questions thread, but the big XII has no rights to red river at the cotton bowl, correct? I’ve seen people saying that they should somehow get in the way of it out of spite but it was my understanding that deal is with UT/OU, not the conference 

2 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

You serious, Clark?

Seriously. He has the voice and is a good enough play-by-play caller. He may not have Verne's "charm", for lack of a better word, but he's done a good job thus far on CBS. I'm also biased from hearing him on the NCAA Football game before it got axed, so maybe a bit of nostalgia, even if he never actually called a game with Kirk. Am I missing something here? I've never seen him mentioned as an announcer people disliked.

2 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

I realize this probably goes in the stupid questions thread, but the big XII has no rights to red river at the cotton bowl, correct? I’ve seen people saying that they should somehow get in the way of it out of spite but it was my understanding that deal is with UT/OU, not the conference 

I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine that's the case, given that game pre-dated the Big 12 conference. 

Pretty sure that's a deal between the Cotton Bowl/City of Dallas and OU/Texas.

2 hours ago, Noogman said:

Seriously. He has the voice and is a good enough play-by-play caller. He may not have Verne's "charm", for lack of a better word, but he's done a good job thus far on CBS. I'm also biased from hearing him on the NCAA Football game before it got axed, so maybe a bit of nostalgia, even if he never actually called a game with Kirk. Am I missing something here? I've never seen him mentioned as an announcer people disliked.

I just realize my dumb brain got my wires crossed on Nessler and Danielson. Objection withdrawn.