The Cloak Room is not so bad.

11 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Ana thinks otherwise, and I tend to agree. gru was definitely neggedbomb to oblivion. 

I don't think otherwise at all.  I agree with the OP's posts.  I fucking love that cesspool. There are some really sharp individuals posting there that will challenge your perspective.  There are also a lot of dumbasses. I'll put up with the latter with good humor cause the value of the former.  But sometimes it all bleeds to together. 

• Hook 'Em 3

As far as that specific example re: GR, I think it's interesting how the various trolls are treated.  Take for example GR vs. triple.  Pretty similar profile.  Both physicians with an outside the norm perspective. Triple was a psychiatrist I am basically 100% certain. GR, not sure his area of practice, but virtually certain he is medically trained based on the way he framed certain arguments. CR brain trust crowd sourced GR for trolling them on vax debates, and particularly some areas where the data is very ambiguous and debatable. Triple spread his nonsense here across multiple genres for many years and never got the same. Not a peep. He is probably the single most greatest disseminator of disinformation on that sub, Hugo a close second, GR somewhere in the mix. One gets crowdsourced, also the only one that made some meaningful contributions to ex-CR threads. But whatever. CR is a special place. 

Edited by Anastasis

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think otherwise at all.  I agree with the OP's posts.  I fucking love that cesspool. There are some really sharp individuals posting there that will challenge your perspective.  There are also a lot of dumbasses. I'll put up with the latter with good humor cause the value of the former.  But sometimes it all bleeds to together. 

Probably shouldn't have spoken for you, that's my bad. I feel a bit burnt out on CR for now, but can't disagree that there are some people who I definitely enjoy even if I disagree. @washparkhorn, and @bolverk come to mind. 

GR, was probably one of the few that even gave a rats ass about CR and posted consistently with a different view than most there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

GR, was probably one of the few that even gave a rats ass about CR and posted consistently with a different view than most there. 

GR took great leaps in logic. I am sure he is a bright guy. He will be fine.

The deep end of the pool is a destination. Enjoy the journey.

Time stands still for no one. Fall down, do better. Feel secure, reassess postures. The spice must flow.

4 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Is that the sub forum with pop up a(i)ds? 

I never see a single ad on any of the forums. Want to know how you can too?

Spoiler

Don't be a deadbeat and subscribe.

• Hook 'Em 7

The main reason I avoid the CR is because outside of the CR, I like 99.9% of the posters here and I don't want to get into pissing matches with people I think are great posters outside of the CR. I come here for a laugh, fast news reporting, Aggy memes, and Cartoon Dicks, but not to see people spit at for their political views. 

CR is the Facebook of Surly. Y'all have a blast, but I'm happy to stay out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

maybe some of you guys figured that out, don’t know. But some of the dashboards he had access to suggested otherwise to me. I may very well be wrong though. 

GRHorn consistently argued against vaccination and believed that facemasks aren't effective against COVID. Doesn't exactly scream "medically trained professional" to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Captainant said:

GRHorn consistently argued against vaccination and believed that facemasks aren't effective against COVID. Doesn't exactly scream "medically trained professional" to me.

And triple consistently argued for HCQ after abundant evidence had mounted regarding it's place in the dumpster. It's not the conclusions that suggest to me background, it's the way certain arguments are framed.  But again, maybe I am wrong.   

38 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Triple was pretty widely shit on for his HCQ posts and quit posting on his own. If he'd kept it up I expect the crowdsourcing would've come, same as it eventually came for GR.

Unfortunately, GR is back posting misinformation again under a new handle in the DT vaccination/Texas Covid threads. I'm okay with people having sincere, differing beliefs (in and out of the cloak room) who are generally good-natured and mostly willing to engage in dialogue like @workswithseed. It's the insincere and dishonest bad actors who are the problem.

I don't think I ever tried to engage Triple, because I never quite got a handle on what he was saying most of the time and, my gawd, those long-ass HCQ debates between Ana and him I just had to scroll right on by. I knew that what Anastasis was saying was probably accurate, but I also knew that the science debate went way beyond my head.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Unfortunately, GR is back posting misinformation again under a new handle in the DT vaccination/Texas Covid threads. I'm okay with people having sincere, differing beliefs (in and out of the cloak room) who are generally good-natured and mostly willing to engage in dialogue like @workswithseed. It's the insincere and dishonest bad actors who are the problem.

I don't think I ever tried to engage Triple, because I never quite got a handle on what he was saying most of the time and, my gawd, those long-ass HCQ debates between Ana and him I just had to scroll right on by. I knew that what Anastasis was saying was probably accurate, but I also knew that the science debate went way beyond my head.

Yeah Muy Frio is definitely GRHorn.  He admitted it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Put a gun to my head, and I am going with DO.

Not intended to disparage DOs in any way shape or form, but there is a certain thread among some of them. Same with psychiatrists. There are good numbers of head shrinkers that feel unconstrained by principles of evidence based medicine. That's how I had triple pegged pretty quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The difference between the treatment of GR and Triple may have had more to do with the scope, persistence, and the nature of the bad-faith posting.

Triple had a HCQ bat signal that sent him into insane ranting. It seemed to me to be genuinely held beliefs based on an insane mental game of telephone with himself. I didn’t really notice him outside of the HCQ stuff. It was almost Grendalesque.

GR was broader with his trolling, more persistent, and it seemed to be more disingenuous. Triple was trying to have a single and repeating honest conversation based on insane precepts; GR was consistently trying to muck up and distract in a broad range of topics. It wasn’t an honest conservative perspective; it was a troll perspective.

Put another way, there is no doubt a need for more genuine, thoughtful, conservative voices in the CR, but that should be distinct from insane ranting or dishonest trolling.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Triple had broad cross genre brain worms. He should have been crowd sourced long ago. 

I'm not a huge fan of crowdsourcing, even for bad ideas, if the person is sincere, even if persistent. I view the arguing and responding to a bad point as having value.  But you are correct that triple often espoused kind of outre theories on a variety of quasi-medical topics.

I didn't witness GR's banning, so I didn't see the events, but he had a habit of little drive by cryptic or sarcastic posts that weren't very good faith.  B_t does that too, but there is often method to his madness.

And, to OP's point about good faith arguing of conservative positions, as a recovering conservative, I find it very difficult to argue in good faith almost anything the GQP puts forward these days.  About the only place you can do it is by responding to proposals of "libruls" like Warren or Ocasio Cortez.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 7/29/2021 at 8:39 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

The main reason I avoid the CR is because outside of the CR, I like 99.9% of the posters here and I don't want to get into pissing matches with people I think are great posters outside of the CR. I come here for a laugh, fast news reporting, Aggy memes, and Cartoon Dicks, but not to see people spit at for their political views. 

CR is the Facebook of Surly. Y'all have a blast, but I'm happy to stay out. 

The reason you avoid the CR is because you posted bullshit and when you were called out on it you ran back to the DT forum.

But I do enjoy your posts in IPIHB and elsewhere.

Edited by DDD Dad

On 7/28/2021 at 10:45 PM, washparkhorn said:

GR took great leaps in logic. I am sure he is a bright guy. He will be fine.

Doubtful. I realize i"m gonna disagree with a fair number of posters in CR, but that's politics. But nothing about GR's posting history leads me to believe that dude was "bright". Logic was his kryptonite. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:06 PM, Anastasis said:

As far as that specific example re: GR, I think it's interesting how the various trolls are treated.  Take for example GR vs. triple.  Pretty similar profile.  Both physicians with an outside the norm perspective. Triple was a psychiatrist I am basically 100% certain. GR, not sure his area of practice, but virtually certain he is medically trained based on the way he framed certain arguments. CR brain trust crowd sourced GR for trolling them on vax debates, and particularly some areas where the data is very ambiguous and debatable. Triple spread his nonsense here across multiple genres for many years and never got the same. Not a peep. He is probably the single most greatest disseminator of disinformation on that sub, Hugo a close second, GR somewhere in the mix. One gets crowdsourced, also the only one that made some meaningful contributions to ex-CR threads. But whatever. CR is a special place. 

I really hope you're wrong about triplehorn being a doctor lol

On 8/7/2021 at 2:49 PM, Sawbonz said:

Yeah he talked about not wanting to write a prescription for himself for something on one thread

Which was a moot point, since he’s not a physician (I hope).  

GR may have been a rural doc.  He seemed offended I thought that lot, as a group, wasn’t as up to speed on evidence based medicine. 

On 7/30/2021 at 11:17 AM, Mole said:

The difference between the treatment of GR and Triple may have had more to do with the scope, persistence, and the nature of the bad-faith posting.

Wut?  Broad cross genre brain worms.  Triple is a clown and should have been run off a long time ago, but some of his brain worms were broadly shared and the less totally whacked out ones implicitly rooted on. 

On 7/29/2021 at 7:07 PM, bolverk said:

So is Harrison Bergeron.

Can @hayden_horn do the clicks here.  Cause maybe some of yall don't read the other subs on this board where there are very different posting styles being used. Or maybe there is some compartmentalization taking place behind different socks. GR has been accused of using the HB, WW, names in addition to the known Muy Frio one.  Why don't the mods just engage a little bit from time to time? Do you guys need more help, cause I would be happy to chip in. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:19 PM, mchookem said:

'recovering conservative' - i like that! lol

'recovering republican' adds alliteration 😁

Actually, I guess I should say republican rather than conservative.  I am conservative to the very core of my being.  That is always going to extend to politics, to a degree.

On 8/7/2021 at 2:49 PM, Sawbonz said:

Yeah he talked about not wanting to write a prescription for himself for something on one thread

My guess would be psychiatrist.  He dropped a few nuggets relating to psych meds on occasion and addiction.

Also, Harrison Bergeron is f/k/a Kyle, I am virtually certain.