The Cloak Room is not so bad.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Can @hayden_horn do the clicks here.  Cause maybe some of yall don't read the other subs on this board where there are very different posting styles being used. Or maybe there is some compartmentalization taking place behind different socks. GR has been accused of using the HB, WW, names in addition to the known Muy Frio one.  Why don't the mods just engage a little bit from time to time? Do you guys need more help, cause I would be happy to chip in. 

thought i already made a post about this somewhere. i do not believe that harrison is grhorn. 

he is absolutely muy frio. said so himself i believe. 

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I, for one, enjoy the presence of many CR posters who are Trumpers-At-All-Costs.  Reading their mental gymnastics is a good behind-the-scenes look at how the rest of America who is for MAGA rationalizes themselves.  I don't talk about it with family or friends or neighbors or people at work in real life.  And their news programs and news sites never show their work, they just repeat the same handful of rationales.  But at least on this site, some of them have the courtesy to lay out why they support him.  Most of the voters for him on this site don't engage because it enables them to walk around holier than thou.  At least some of the folks on here are willing to scrape and debate.  It's not my site, so if they want to jettison CR, that's their choice.  or change the rules or whatever.  But it's a healthy outlet, IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 2

No one ran shit off. I’m busy as fuck. I don’t have time to babysit the cloak room. buncha fucking emotional people who want to throw shit all over the walls and wonder why their house smells like shit. 

• Haha 1

I’m real over this trope of coming in and making statements being portrayed as a meltdown or some type of thin skinned behavior. That thread was a clear example of toxicity and instead of being like yeah maybe we need to step back the posters who are most toxic just started memeing like they are “owning” the moderator or “running me off”. Bitch if I was mad you would be banned, I’d shut the cloak room down and tell you all to get fucked. I’m trying to be a steward for the entire community not just some very small very vocal subsegment that can’t figure out their toxicity is alienating what could probably be a decent discussion on a pretty hot and important topic. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m trying to be a steward for the entire community not just some very small very vocal subsegment that can’t figure out their toxicity is alienating what could probably be a decent discussion on a pretty hot and important topic. 

Just to be clear, you're defending someone who's only contributions to the thread were a link from the national review whose evidence doesn't support the claims in its headline, and was disputing that TNG prevented CBP from rescuing a drowning mother and daughter. What's the decent discussion to be had? That our state should not be letting people drown in the river?

Genuinely, can you point to a specific exchange as toxic in that thread? It's just a loop of LHL making an unfounded assertion, and then everyone pushing back with actual facts to counter "The Right Scoop" from NR.

• Hook 'Em 8

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

No one ran shit off. I’m busy as fuck. I don’t have time to babysit the cloak room. buncha fucking emotional people who want to throw shit all over the walls and wonder why their house smells like shit. 

You were the only emotional poster in those exchanges.

• Hook 'Em 5

You guys are really going to be obtuse about this? I keep presenting specific language, specific remedy, and pointing out specific behavior that is unhealthy for discussion and people are acting like I’m trying to ruin the fun. There’s nothing fun about what’s going on in that thread to anyone but the like 12 posters posting in it. It’s a garbage thread. 

Just now, immamac said:

You guys are really going to be obtuse about this? I keep presenting specific language, specific remedy, and pointing out specific behavior that is unhealthy for discussion and people are acting like I’m trying to ruin the fun. There’s nothing fun about what’s going on in that thread to anyone but the like 12 posters posting in it. It’s a garbage thread. 

it’s a garbage thread because you chose to white knight for a dude who just came in and lied. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

it’s a garbage thread because you chose to white knight for a dude who just came in and lied. 

No it’s garbage because I tried to get it back on the rails and it was already so derailed that none of you actually want to discuss anything you just want to be outraged. 

I didn’t white knight shit or defend any position. I said stop dogpiling and move on it was a dead discussion with longhorn love and it was obvious to anyone with functioning brain cells. 

Just now, immamac said:

No it’s garbage because I tried to get it back on the rails and it was already so derailed that none of you actually want to discuss anything you just want to be outraged. 

I didn’t white knight shit or defend any position. I said stop dogpiling and move on it was a dead discussion with longhorn love and it was obvious to anyone with functioning brain cells. 

Sure Jan GIF

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m real over this trope of coming in and making statements being portrayed as a meltdown or some type of thin skinned behavior. That thread was a clear example of toxicity and instead of being like yeah maybe we need to step back the posters who are most toxic just started memeing like they are “owning” the moderator or “running me off”. Bitch if I was mad you would be banned, I’d shut the cloak room down and tell you all to get fucked. I’m trying to be a steward for the entire community not just some very small very vocal subsegment that can’t figure out their toxicity is alienating what could probably be a decent discussion on a pretty hot and important topic. 

Go read @Mrs Whiggins most recent reply and address it there. 

Point out the toxicity in what she said.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

LHL was continuing to press a falsehood and insist shit to be true without evidence, even when presented with facts to the opposite. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m done with that thread. You guys can just do whatever the fuck you want in there it’s not even worth reading anymore. 

Just not sure what you're so mad about lol, it's like LHL lit a bat signal for you and you came in from the top rope to defend someone posting """alternative facts"""

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

LHL was continuing to press a falsehood and insist shit to be true without evidence, even when presented with facts to the opposite. 

Just not sure what you're so mad about lol, it's like LHL lit a bat signal for you and you came in from the top rope to defend someone posting """alternative facts"""

I just read through 3 pages of a thread that was going nowhere and it was just turning into ad hominem stupidity. It pisses me off when threads that have such potential just go to dogshit and become unreadable. It’s a super important issue and a really active and ongoing situation with a lot of complexity. I’m frustrated that it’s such a stupid thread not that that a particular poster is being picked on. 

Then you should have said that instead of “I know longhornlove IRL and you guys are really off base here over a differing opinion. Stop being part of outrage dogpile culture. Disagree and move on. 

He didn’t offer a different opinion. He lied, and then refused to answer legitimate questions. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m frustrated that it’s such a stupid thread not that that a particular poster is being picked on. 

IMO you should consider rules and policies on factual discussions and posts then. If someone is arguing things that are factually untrue, then any thread with that person is gonna go to shit. All the oxygen for discussion will be eaten up by just getting basic facts straight. 

That's exactly what happened in that thread. The fix isn't telling people to be less mean, it's to tell them to stop presenting bullshit headlines as irrefutable fact. 

The posts in that thread you're doing your weird high road act on pretty clearly and calmly lay it all out. Genuinely, you're more passionate than anyone in that thread - and you're strangely not mad at the person pooping in the punchbowl, but don't like that people are trying to fish the turd out

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m done with that thread. You guys can just do whatever the fuck you want in there it’s not even worth reading anymore. 

That's kinda lame.

I pointed you to one of the least offensive people in the whole place and it's not worth it. 

Ok then 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, immamac said:

Jesus dude. Guy wanders in and says some stupid shit, people point it out. It's not difficult.

I wasn't even a part of it, I read it after the fact as a third party observer, and I can assure you the only emotion in there was your reaction. I don't care if you know him and he is a decent dude  or whatever, if people say something dumb, they should expect to be told it. If I'm talking to a friend standing next to me and he says something that dumb or disingenuous, I will absolutely call him a dipshit.

Also quit saying toxicity, it's stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Captainant said:

IMO you should consider rules and policies on factual discussions and posts then. If someone is arguing things that are factually untrue, then any thread with that person is gonna go to shit. All the oxygen for discussion will be eaten up by just getting basic facts straight. 

That's exactly what happened in that thread. The fix isn't telling people to be less mean, it's to tell them to stop presenting bullshit headlines as irrefutable fact. 

The posts in that thread you're doing your weird high road act on pretty clearly and calmly lay it all out. Genuinely, you're more passionate than anyone in that thread - and you're strangely not mad at the person pooping in the punchbowl, but don't like that people are trying to fish the turd out

@immamac this is literally exactly it

• Hook 'Em 2

Look at the same people commenting in this thread. This is the actual problem. There are thousands of users here not 20. I receive all kinds of DMs and complaints via reported posts about this that you don’t see. Is a  problem. I think going no secondary sources would open up the discussion quite a bit we can try that. 

primary sources only meaning direct quotes from involves parties or official communications from agencies. Actual legislature and proposed legislation links etc. 

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

Look at the same people commenting in this thread. This is the actual problem. There are thousands of users here not 20. I receive all kinds of DMs and complaints via reported posts about this that you don’t see. Is a  problem. I think going no secondary sources would open up the discussion quite a bit we can try that. 

primary sources only meaning direct quotes from involves parties or official communications from agencies. Actual legislature and proposed legislation links etc. 

It's not just sourcing though - LHL straight up admitted to wanting to troll the thread and refused to actually answer any reasonable challenges to his sources or counterfactual claims. I'm not sure why you're defending him and his urge to submit straight up lies as a "difference in opinion". It's not in good faith, and I'm not sure why you're not more mad at him for coming into the thread with no intent of actual discussion.

You mention getting "all kinds of DMs and complaints" - I'd be curious to know the essence of those complaints. It's a bad habit on your board to turn off your brain and complain "muh CR!" when they just want to disengage from a conversation they can't defend. Just like how LHL pinched off a fatty of a shitpost and got called out for it, and ran away to beseech the mods rather than defend their point. Like, do you think people need to be less surly? Because I still can't find a single post in that thread - and you haven't provided one (even though you said you had lol) - of specific language or "dogpiling" a poster. He was not dogpiled, his shitty sourcing was. 

Just really weird to see you get so animated and hard headed about this and refusing to see the facts. Did a croot complain or something? I've seen people get immolated on the football board wayyyyyy worse

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Just really weird to see you get so animated and hard headed about this and refusing to see the facts. Did a croot complain or something? I've seen people get immolated on the football board wayyyyyy worse

No shit. I said I thought the Michigan cheating scandal wasn't that big of a deal. You would have thought I said Vince Young ate babies.

I get Imma's frustration with the whole thing.  He's gotta patrol the board for butt-hurt snowflakes when it comes to politics.  That's not nothing.  I guess maybe give the other moderators more authority?  I dunno.  But it's a thankless task and some people manage to spin almost anything into politics.  I'm guilty of it, most of us are.  For instance, people take umbrage when you say something on a football or baseball thread like "Gaping Cuntface'd Ted Cruz costs another Texas team a big win."  And everybody's gotta get all political about it ;)  

I still think the self-policing works pretty well.  People are certainly free to drop by CR and make outlandish claims with almost no empirical information to back it up and that's how adult conversations should be when it comes to politics.  But it can hard to separate that out when you know folks in real life.  There are a lot of "I'd suck off Trump first chance I got" MAGA folks on here whom I know in real life and we just don't talk about it online or in person.  Likewise, there are lots of folks I know IRL on here that were never Democrats, but now use CR as an outlet because they're still genuinely amazed at fucking insane the others we know got in the last few years.  

Anyway, I pledge that if Imma wants to make changes to CR or other ways in which politics permeates into other forums...I will happily abide.  My only suggestion would be, I know the site folks are busy...but if you're gonna make any changes...do it quickly and we will abide, because shit is about to get even more batshit fucking insane in a few months in the political world in which we find ourselves.  

It cracks me up that the tough guy snowflakes are the ones who need and receive special treatment to protect their feelings. I thought they were supposed to be the fuck your feelings crowd.

• Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I get Imma's frustration with the whole thing.  He's gotta patrol the board for butt-hurt snowflakes when it comes to politics.  That's not nothing.  I guess maybe give the other moderators more authority?  I dunno.  But it's a thankless task and some people manage to spin almost anything into politics.  I'm guilty of it, most of us are.  For instance, people take umbrage when you say something on a football or baseball thread like "Gaping Cuntface'd Ted Cruz costs another Texas team a big win."  And everybody's gotta get all political about it ;)  

I still think the self-policing works pretty well.  People are certainly free to drop by CR and make outlandish claims with almost no empirical information to back it up and that's how adult conversations should be when it comes to politics.  But it can hard to separate that out when you know folks in real life.  There are a lot of "I'd suck off Trump first chance I got" MAGA folks on here whom I know in real life and we just don't talk about it online or in person.  Likewise, there are lots of folks I know IRL on here that were never Democrats, but now use CR as an outlet because they're still genuinely amazed at fucking insane the others we know got in the last few years.  

Anyway, I pledge that if Imma wants to make changes to CR or other ways in which politics permeates into other forums...I will happily abide.  My only suggestion would be, I know the site folks are busy...but if you're gonna make any changes...do it quickly and we will abide, because shit is about to get even more batshit fucking insane in a few months in the political world in which we find ourselves.  

Yeah, I think imma is struggling with trying to make the place more hospitable and relevant to more people.

But, the political world these days boils down to rationals and irrationals and I'll let you guess which is which. And, unlike the rational/irrational "debate" during the Brown era, the underlying facts are neither agreed upon, nor are they subject to rational disagreement.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I can understand the desire to make the board welcoming to everyone. It just doesn’t work for a politics board in today’s political environment where one side lies about virtually everything. Challenging those lies is necessary - ignoring them is how we got to now. Make a right wing echo chamber, ban all politics, whatever, but right now you’re twisted up, I don’t know how people are supposed to ignore him when he keeps coming back, and you’re blaming the people refuting falsehoods for derailing the conversation.

season 5 episode 20 GIF

• Hook 'Em 5