RIP Dusty Hill

UTCzech III

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

RIP.

There’s not a lot of detail but if you read Bill Graham’s autobiography he talks about being the promoter for the Rolling Stones and booking ZZ Top as an opening act. 

n/m

Edited by Gooby

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

RIP.

There’s not a lot of detail but if you read Bill Graham’s autobiography he talks about being the promoter for the Rolling Stones and booking ZZ Top as an opening act. 

If you watch the ZZ Top documentary on Netflix, it's talked about in pretty good detail.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw them in Mid-Michigan just 10 days ago. Dusty didn't look very good, he leaned/sat on some amps the entire concert and never moved one step. The bass was fine, but his voice was very rough. When the concert ended Billy and Frank walked to the front of the stage and waved and strode off the set, and the lights went down; 3 minutes later the house lights came up and Dusty was just gone. 
I feel bad, because we joked he could have been Bernie from the weekend at.

But they still put on a hell of a show, the crowd was pumped up, and the place was jumping.

RIP Dusty - it was great to see you and the boys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's obviously not Dusty singing, but I love this video shot at Gruene Hall.  It captures the later years just right.  What a phenomenal, super experienced, super tight, great fucking band.

God damn these guys are (were :() cool. RIP Dusty

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, damn.  

ZZ Top is one of those bands I just cannot imagine with a replacement player, at any spot.  Thanks for the tunes, boys.  Godspeed, Dusty.

Same 3 dudes for 50 years,  don't see it happening either honestly. They were currently touring as @Wally Fairway mentioned,  seems weird that Dusty was at home when he died 

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Same 3 dudes for 50 years,  don't see it happening either honestly. They were currently touring as @Wally Fairway mentioned,  seems weird that Dusty was at home when he died 

There is news from last week that he dropped out of the tour, and the guitar tuner for the band took his place for a few shows. That is why Dusty passed away at home in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

FYI, maybe this is old news to some, but a good read (and sad time :( to bring it up). Dusty and Frank Beard were in a fake Zombies band before they moved on:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/danielralston/the-true-story-of-the-fake-zombies-the-strangest-con-in-rock

I pull up another grainy photo from 1969 on my laptop: a traditional black and white press photo for the Original "Zombies" (in conspicuous scare quotes), autographed. There are only four guys pictured despite the fact that the Zombies were a five-piece. I inform White that the two young men wearing cowboy hats are Dusty Hill and Frank Beard from the legendary Texas blues-rock band ZZ Top, although the names D. Cruz and Chris Page are scrawled over them. The real Zombies would have never worn cowboy hats.