Your first football game as a Longhorn

msucolt45

I can’t count the times of watching, in person, of my beloved Longhorns growing up, but my first as an actual student was the UVA game in September of ‘95. I remember of the Barber brothers coming to town for the matchup, but the Horns were ready!

I also remember Phil Dawson kicking the game winner (50 yards) into the South side and windy conditions. Horns win!

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1993, Texas OU, senior year of high school and the same day I had to take my SATs in the morning. Did terrible on the SATs because I was so hyped up to go to my first game. mdleast got us tickets and we sat in the upper level. Texas was awful that day but the game was great. We lost 38-17. We sat next to two drunk guys who kept screaming the entire game that OU were "nothing but fucking cheaters". I mean any time OU made a play, "buncha fucking cheaters". Haven't missed a Texas OU since except for dumb Covid Texas OU and we don't consider that a real Texas OU anyway.

• Like 1

Oh fuck's sake.  1990 Cotton Bowl.  I was a soph in high school.  Our family had gone on a trip to DC over Christmas.  We were to leave in plenty of time to get back by the game.  My father slid off the road in a minor snow storm and broke the axle of my grandfather's suburban in Virginia.  I threw enough of a bitch fit to spurn the family to get up on the 31st at whatever time in the morning to get us to Dallas by 10PM New Year's Eve.  Then I went to the game...

@bluto

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Bluto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I can’t count the times of watching, in person, of my beloved Longhorns growing up, but my first as an actual student was the UVA game in September of ‘95. I remember of the Barber brothers coming to town for the matchup, but the Horns were ready!

I also remember Phil Dawson kicking the game winner (50 yards) into the South side and windy conditions. Horns win!

Hook’em!

This was my first as well. Ran onto the field after the game.

First game as a student, or as a fan?

Student - 1979, Rice, first time in DKR, night game, crowd larger than I had ever seen and louder than I had ever heard, and I was in awe of it all.

Fan - 1978 @ Rice, my sister, who was a junior at the time, (no pics) got a ticket for me.  First memory is of the Longhorn Band entering Rice Stadium, it seemed like it would never end..there were so many of them.  Also remember the first time they played Texas Fight, as my high school used the same tune for their fight song, but it never sounded so loud, and impressive as it did at that game.  LHB also played it much faster than my high school.  Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a student, I guess it was '91 v. Rice.  Ugh.  It was the third game of the season.  The first two were on the road.  I have some weird memory of having to go to the new rec center in order to be able to watch either the Miss St or Auburn game.  By "new" I mean the one next to the stadium.  The volleyball team played there at the time.  Sorry for the ambiguity.  It's obviously been awhile.

My first game as a fan was the 1986 Baylor game in Waco, an 18-13 loss. 

My first game at Texas Memorial Stadium was the 1987 Tech game, a 41-27 win on Halloween with Spuds McKenzie in the house. 

My first game as a student was the 1991 Auburn game, a 14-10 loss.

Saw my first dead body in the wild after the game. Some student had rolled his VW Bug on the access road to I-35 around 5th Street and got thrown from the car. Dude’s boots were sticking out from under a sheet while they were investigating the accident. That image has always stuck with me. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

As a student, I guess it was '91 v. Rice.  Ugh.  It was the third game of the season.  The first two were on the road.  I have some weird memory of having to go to the new rec center in order to be able to watch either the Miss St or Auburn game.  By "new" I mean the one next to the stadium.  The volleyball team played there at the time.  Sorry for the ambiguity.  It's obviously been awhile.

Auburn was a home game. I had to watch the Mississippi State game at the Castilian with my roommate’s dad because my roommate (who didn’t even go) had a friend who lived there. 

Fucking Jester. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1

I thought Richard Walton started ‘97 as QB. 

edit— I looked it up. Guess JB did get hurt, making way for Walton. I just remember reading an AAS article about pre-med Walton in the week leading up to the UCLA destruction. 

Edited by Tex Pete

First Texas game that I watched on TV was January 1, 1969 Cotton Bowl vs Tennessee.  Watching the game alone,  I thought Texas was the team with the big orange T on the helmet.  Then later into the game, my older brother showed up and asked why I was so upset.  I blurted out that I hated Tennessee because they were beating Texas so badly.  He laughed and explained to me that I was rooting for the wrong team.

First game attended in person was Texas vs Miami 1972.  

• Haha 2

‘06 @ Nebraska. Was 10 years old in my VY jersey. Went to a handful of games from then until I transferred into UT my sophomore year. Actually didn’t see us lose in person until that 50-7 loss in Fort Worth in 2015. Have seen plenty of disappointments from then on, including both Maryland games.

Damn, I didn’t realize so many of y’all are former players. 

Jk. My first game was a 0-30 home loss to UH in 1976 when I was 16. Campbell had a bad hammy that season. We had tickets in the lower horseshoe, so our view wasn’t even good. We did go to Conan’s Pizza afterwords, so I was happy about that. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

First longhorn football game attended was 1972 vs. SMU.  Horns won 17-9.  That was back when they had a knothole section in the south end zone, mostly for kids.  Maybe $5 per ticket?

First longhorn football game attended as a student was 1977 vs. Boston College.  Horns won 44-0.  Earl was a beast.  1977 was a fun football season and ruined my longhorn football expectations for life! 

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Viethorn said:

Colorado game 1990, competitive game, but a Buffaloes running back ran 3-4 touchdowns on us 😞

What I remember most about that game was our OL had CU’s defense on the ropes, then our coaches decided to swap out the whole OL to give OUR guys a breather. We went 3-and-out, CU defense got the break they needed to change the momentum. 

1 hour ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

It wasn't my first,  but first I can remember and speak to is 1992 houston.   The loudest I've ever heard DKR.

I watched that Houston game on TV on my deck in Northwest Hills while drinking and smoking cigars.  I could hear the roar from the stadium all the way up there.  Great game.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Hook’em!

This was also my first game when I was 9. We sat on the top row of the west side upper deck.

I remember when Dawson kicked the ball, the entire stadium stood silently up in unison, and when the ball went through everyone went bonkers. Such a cool game and memory.

Fan - TCU at Texas 1983

Student - Pittsburgh at Texas 1995. Maybe the most unremarkable game of 1995-1999. All I remember about that game is that it was hot as fuck and I was pissed that I didn't have Pearl Jam tickets for later that night. 

27 minutes ago, orangebird said:

I think it was the 21-21 tie against Syracuse in 1993 at DKR.  At least, that's the first one I remember.

Rough times - Rice actually finished with a better record than we did that year.

I was at this game. Syracuse was Top 5 coming in and pregame we ran into one of their fans who was talking the most shit I have ever heard from a visiting fan. I am 70% that guy got his lights knocked out before he ever got to the stadium. 

After the game, walking down the west side ramps, some old boy yelled out "Texas is BACK!" and everyone roared and cheered.

As it turned out, both teams sucked. And Texas was not back. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Auburn was a home game. I had to watch the Mississippi State game at the Castilian with my roommate’s dad because my roommate (who didn’t even go) had a friend who lived there. 

Fucking Jester. 

You are correct sir.  Then it had to be Miss St that I watched at the rec center.  Auburn would have been my first home game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good Lord.  I just realized that...

• My first game in person was the Miami Cotton Bowl.
  • My first game as a student was a loss to Auburn at home.
  • My first win as a student was against the amazing Rice Owls.
  • My first road game was 1991 loss to Houston in the Astrodome.
  • My second road game was Texas' first loss to TCU in 25 years (1992).
  • There was also a year in which Texas gave up something like 300+ yards to two different running backs at home.  I believe one was Rashan Salaam (CU).  The other may have been Curtis Martin (Pitt).  I just remember watching both of those games and thinking, "This can't be real".
  • In my defense, I did get to see Texas beat OU 3 times in 4 years.  I missed the loss.

My first game was Rice in 1983 (not a student).  It was the Homecoming game celebrating the "centennial" of the University of Texas.  We had seats in the lower sections of the upper deck and I remember the escalators being the longest escalators I had ever seen in my life. I was genuinely nervous going up those escalators.  Texas won 42-6.  Fun fact...I've never been to a UT game when they lost. 

• Hook 'Em 1