Your first football game as a Longhorn

msucolt45

My first in-person game was 1968 vs aTm aggy, the defending SWC champs.  The one where Bill Bradley said “it don’t make a shit” when we won the coin toss.  He then set the school & conference single game records by intercepting 4 Ed Hargett passes.

Horns led 35-0 at half before DKR emptied the bench and we won 35-14. Poor aggies rained down in the second qtr.

I was in high school & visiting my brother who was a student.  About 3-4 minutes remaining, his roommate asks if I would like to go to the locker room after the game (he was friend of OT Bob McKay).  Saw DKR & most of the players.  Knew right then where I was going to school.  Csb

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I was born in early 1970. My parents (still married and rabid Longhorns) were sophmores and lived on 26th street within walking distance  to DKRTMS. They tell me my first game (in utero) was a beat down of Tech in Sept of 69. My mom said I was very active during the game.  It hasn't changed. It has been in my blood ever since. 

Hook'em 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

My first game attended in person was our 50-7 loss to Baylor in 1989.

Beat that.

How about 3-27 to aggy in 1976 in the rain?  2nd loss at home (UH earlier in the season was the 1st) in 6 or 7 years.  5-5-1 season.  stadium maybe 75% filled and half of them aggy.  Horrible fog came in between Austin and Brenham on the way to Houston.  Could barely see the front of my hood and couldn't see well enough to pull over.  Drove about 20 mph on 290 most of the way to Brenham.  Was scared to death some idiot stopped in the road.  Fortunately noone did.

At least Baylor game was sunny, although a little hot.

1970 Texas 20 UCLA 17.

Texas was down 17 to 13 in the dying seconds of the game, facing a 3rd and ~ 20. A wishbone team all but dead in the water. But Eddie Philips completed a pass to Cotton Speyer who miraculously ran it all the way in through two defenders to complete a 45 yard touchdown.

I'd never imagined anything as loud as the crowd at that moment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

September 15, 1984 vs. preseason #1 (then #8) Auburn.  Won 35-27 and sent Bo Jackson out of the game injured.

A very auspicious beginning to a pretty bad seven years.

This was my first game too.  Sat in the Auburn section.  Realized that they had 2 mascots and thought the school was nuts.

My first game was Mizzou in 1982, however my second game was more memorable.  We beat Auburn in 1984 and I still have a vivid memory of excitedly watching Jerry Gray run down Bo Jackson (and separate his shoulder). I was young, but I recognized I was witnessing two incredible athletes compete.

• Hook 'Em 1

1982 with the visiting Yootah Yutes. 
Freshman stud Ty Allert blocks a punt to set the tone for a Longhorn victory. 

After the game, freshman stud Deadshank has date trouble, puts date on the bench and presses backup date into action for a resounding second half comeback and victory.  

There was much rejoicing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2006 vs Ohio State. I kept forgetting about how to pick up tickets as a student so I bought one off a scalper for $100 at halftime. I believe I made every home game during the Colt years after that, except for the Thanksgiving game that year. As I mentioned in a different thread, I left Austin after graduating in 2010, but I'm back now and I'm bringing the 10-win season floor with me.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

It wasn't my first,  but first I can remember and speak to is 1992 houston.   The loudest I've ever heard DKR.

I hope you have the year wrong, because you missed out on the 1990 game then, which was the craziest that stadium has ever been. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

My first was 1995 vs SMU at the Cotton Bowl, the last meeting. 

I was at this game.  My brother's high school band was working the concession as a fundraiser.  I volunteered to help, but went and watched the game when it started.  Was all fun and games until I actually had to come back later and work an HBC game in the evening.  Long day.

I had gone to several games before I got to UT but my first game as a student was the 1996 Missouri Monsoon game. A couple weeks later I went to my old dorm at UNT and a bunch of my friends told me they had seen me running around on the field on the DFW news 😂

September 20, 1958. Win over Georgia at Memorial Stadium. The first of many attendances in the "Knot Hole" section. 50 cent entry fee. Also the year my mother got a speeding ticket rushing to the airport taking us kids to greet the team coming home from defeating OU for the first time in many years. Austin Municipal Airport. They flew Braniff. Bobby Lackey threw the tying pass, kicked the go ahead PAT, and intercepted the pass that killed OU's come back attempt. Childhood hero? You bet!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BigSwingingD said:

I was born in early 1970. My parents (still married and rabid Longhorns) were sophmores and lived on 26th street within walking distance  to DKRTMS. They tell me my first game (in utero) was a beat down of Tech in Sept of 69. My mom said I was very active during the game.  It hasn't changed. It has been in my blood ever since. 

Hook'em 

I was there with you, but I was 9. It was a beat down and the first home game of the glorious 1969 season. 49-7, there were wooden bleachers on the south end zone side, where we sat, and the old scoreboard. I wouldn't miss a home game for the next 40 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I hope you have the year wrong, because you missed out on the 1990 game then, which was the craziest that stadium has ever been. 

Except for 1970 UCLA when Speyrer made that TD catch.  Did not last as long, but what an explosion that set off, justifiably so.

3 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I was there with you, but I was 9. It was a beat down and the first home game of the glorious 1969 season. 49-7, there were wooden bleachers on the south end zone side, where we sat, and the old scoreboard. I wouldn't miss a home game for the next 40 years. 

Not Scott Wilson fanatic attendance, but very impressive!

1 minute ago, cochamps said:

Not Scott Wilson fanatic attendance, but very impressive!

Thanks, it would have been longer but kids and job made it a difficult streak to continue. I opted out last year, so all told I've missed a dozen since the Tech game in '69

Y’all gonna tell me not to go to anymore games, but my first two Longhorn football games were:

1994 - Texas lost @Rice. At the time I was 15 yo. I was with my dad, who graduated from Rice and I thought that I might go there too, so I was rooting for Rice. I ran down on the field to celebrate the win and help tear down the goal post, not knowing that I’d grow up to become a Texas alum and donor.

1997 - Route 66. I was a freshman at Texas. No one needs me to explain the misery of that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to some of you old guys on your ability to navigate the intranets as well as you do.

I went to earlier games but the first one I remember well is the RRS in '95, which was a tie. First game I remember at Memorial was later that season, a win against Baylor. 

My first game as a student was our opener against Louisiana Lafayette my first year on campus. We wore beautiful throwbacks, I drank way too much Southern Comfort before the game, and it was the start of a rather memorable season:

Football Louisiana Lafayette Vs Texas September 3 2005 Photos and Premium  High Res Pictures - Getty Images

image.jpeg

1985 Texas versus Missouri.  Meh game. Meh season.  But it was great to see my first game in person.  Grew up in Louisiana so I'd only caught a few games on TV prior to that.  Now in California, so it's been years since I've been to a game other than the recent Cal game in Berkeley I'd just a soon forget.

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/85/ut-mizz.htm

Scoring Summary (Final)
                       1985 University of Texas Football
               Missouri vs Texas (Sep 21, 1985 at Austin, Texas)

Missouri (0-1) vs. Texas (1-0)
Date: Sep 21, 1985  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 76437

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Missouri............  7  0  7  3  - 17
Texas...............  7  7  7  0  - 21

Texas - Hunter 26 yd. run (Ward kick) 10:56
Missouri - Lammers 33 yd. pass from Seitz (Welihan kick) 0:42

Texas - Stafford 36 yd. run (Ward kick) 6:34

Texas - Byerly 8 yd. run (Ward kick) 11:17
Missouri - Seitz 16 yd. run (Whelihan kick) 9:21

Missouri - Whelihan 53 yd. FG 5:13

Kickoff time: 7:03 pm   End of Game: 10:05 pm  Total elapsed time: 3:02
Officials:
Temperature: 83        Wind: SE 8-16   Weather: Partly Cloudy

I'd have to say early 80's with my folks (both Texas exes).  I have a pic of me and my mom, I'm guessing sometime in 81 or so, given how old I looked.

I also have a pic of me down on the field with the scoreboard in the background after the Auburn game in 1984

As a student, Fall 93 vs Syracuse. I don't remember anything from the game, which either meant 1. I was wasted...or 2 I went home to sleep (I was a pledge).  Either are fairly plausible.

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

My first in-person Texas game was the 1986 season opener against Stanford. My first in-person game as a student was the 1991 home opener my freshman year against Auburn. We lost both.

I'm pretty sure that was my first game as well..... My dad took me on a tour of Texas that summer we hit up Aquarena Springs, Inner Space Caverns, Schlitterbahn, and Natural Bridge Caverns in the week between the Stanford @ UT games and the NTSU (now UNT) @ A&M game.

It was that week that he planted the seeds on where I wanted to go to college..... "Dad these people are not right" when I was first introduced to yell leaders. LOL

First was when I was 12, first ever football game at the Alamodome. 1993 vs SMU, I think? First as a student, stayed up late to watch us vs Hawai'i at some frat house on frat road. First home game was the one right after, maybe UVa?

Edited by jetsfan76
93, not 90

First UT game? 1949, I was 6. Just started school a couple of weeks before, so prolly Mid-September, first game of the season. We played a pushover from something called the Border Conference, named Texas Tech. We won, they didn't. I think. The two uncles who took me said so, anyway. The main thing I really recall is there was a guy sitting front of us who had a silver flask in each pocket and alternated drinking from them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Will never forget it. I was 8. Had a soccer game that morning (we won 3-1). Dad literally picked me up off the field not even after the ending whistle finished echoing to stuff me into his 1990 silver Cadillac DeVille, took me home to change into UT gear, got back into the car and we whizzed quickly over to the fair (secret pathway).

I’m about to attend my 30th consecutive TX-OU game this coming October.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 27-25 said:

1985 Texas versus Missouri.  Meh game. Meh season.  But it was great to see my first game in person.  Grew up in Louisiana so I'd only caught a few games on TV prior to that.  Now in California, so it's been years since I've been to a game other than the recent Cal game in Berkeley I'd just a soon forget.

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/85/ut-mizz.htm

Scoring Summary (Final)
                       1985 University of Texas Football
               Missouri vs Texas (Sep 21, 1985 at Austin, Texas)

Missouri (0-1) vs. Texas (1-0)
Date: Sep 21, 1985  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 76437

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Missouri............  7  0  7  3  - 17
Texas...............  7  7  7  0  - 21

Texas - Hunter 26 yd. run (Ward kick) 10:56
Missouri - Lammers 33 yd. pass from Seitz (Welihan kick) 0:42

Texas - Stafford 36 yd. run (Ward kick) 6:34

Texas - Byerly 8 yd. run (Ward kick) 11:17
Missouri - Seitz 16 yd. run (Whelihan kick) 9:21

Missouri - Whelihan 53 yd. FG 5:13

Kickoff time: 7:03 pm   End of Game: 10:05 pm  Total elapsed time: 3:02
Officials:
Temperature: 83        Wind: SE 8-16   Weather: Partly Cloudy

I remember this game as I, along with a few hooligan friends of mine and our skanky dates, sat on the second row right behind the Mizzery bench. Mizzery's starting QB got hurt and his back up  didn't expect to play and was suddenly going into the game.  He was quickly warming up his wing and I kept yelling at him that his quick and painful death was imminent.  He heard what I was yelling at him and finally relented, looked over at me, grinned real big and said "I really hope not" while laughing about it.  Pretty cool headed response for the back up.  He had a pretty decent game having been sacked quite a few times.

/csb

• Hook 'Em 3

Both of my parents went to Rice so it was some game at Rice Stadium when very young. My grandparents lived in Southhampton, 2 blocks from the stadium. So even  when I wasn’t at the stadium, I could listen to the PA announcer in the backyard. 

• Hook 'Em 1