Your first football game as a Longhorn

msucolt45

My first live & in person Texas game was the 1981 SMU game at Texas Stadium.  9-7 Texas win.  I went with a church high school group.  Back in the days when Texas had a kick ass defense.

Scoring Summary (Final)
                       1981 University of Texas Football
              #10 Texas vs #8 SMU (Oct 24, 1981 at Irving, Texas)

Texas (5-1,2-0-1) vs. SMU (6-1,3-1)
Date: Oct 24, 1981  Site: Irving, Texas         Stadium: Texas Stadium
Attendance: 60777

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Texas...............  3  0  3  3  -  9
SMU.................  0  0  0  7  -  7

1st quarter

12:19        UT        Allegre 32 FG                                   3 - 0
                       4 plays, 5 yards, TOP 1:14

3rd quarter

00:22        UT        Allegre 32 FG                                   6 - 0
                       6 plays, 27 yards, TOP 1:58

4th quarter

11:43        UT        Allegre 52 FG                                   9 - 0
                       4 plays, 4 yards, TOP 2:01

10:14        SM        Wilson 70 pass from McIlhenny                   9 - 7
                       3 plays, 80 yards, TOP 1:34

Kickoff time: 1:30 pm   End of Game: 4:22 pm   Total elapsed time: 2:52
Officials: Referee: Bill Begin; Umpire: Zeke Martin; Linesman: Bob Jones;
Line judge: Roger Rogers; Back judge: Dan Wilford; Field judge: J.D. Roland;
Temperature: 56 deg.   Wind: S 15 mph  Weather: partly cloudy

3 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Thanks, it would have been longer but kids and job made it a difficult streak to continue. I opted out last year, so all told I've missed a dozen since the Tech game in '69

Life gets in the way sometimes!   I have attended 165 total, so I am WAY behind you.

First game I can remember watching -- 1969.  I was on an Indian Guides campout and all the dads and kids crammed into the welcome center or whatever it was to watch.

First game in person -- 1977 v. UH.  The game where Earl ran into Bevo.

First game as a student -- 1980 vs. Arky.

My first game was Nov 18, 1961 … in the Knot Hole Gang.  A disastrous start to my lifelong Longhorn obsession.

My first game as a Texas student was USC … when Wally Pryor introduced a bald guy on their sideline named John Wayne.  Another bang up start …

However, my time included Chris Gilbert, a 30 game win streak, and a couple of MNC.

I can live with that …

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
Fat fingers
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Home opener vs Louisville in 1994, my freshman year.  Stadium was half empty back in those days.  Whenever Texas scored, cokes always went flying in the student section.  Barely missed a home game after that until I gave my season tickets up after the ‘17 season.  I think I missed the Virginia game in the 90’s after spraining my ankle, and maybe one other game in early 2000-teens because I was traveling, but pretty sure that’s it.

Edited by Steelers Roll Left

1990 vs Colorado  starting the Shock the Nation tour…. 

Thankfully I sold extra ticket to Cotton Bowl to a one of my sister’s  coworkers…He brought the bottle of Jack that helped me stay warm and forget about Miami on that cold ass day.

15 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

My freshman year at UT: 1984 Auburn game where Jerry Grey knocked Bo out of the game.

Man that season started off so badass; beat Auburn, spank PSU in the Meadowlands...then the tie w/ OU in the rain...UH on Parent's Day...wheels off for a fucking decade plus. 

This (Auburn 84) was also my first game as a freshman student.  I still have the ticket stub.  I just knew that we were in for greatness while I was going to be on campus but as you point out this was the beginning of the end for a while.  The season started out strong but ended with three straight losses.

My first game to attend was the previous season (1983), my senior year in high school.  Went to the Rice game and sat in the upper deck.  Saw Edwin Simmons rip a long run.  I was already very familiar with Simmons as the local East Texas newspaper featured him prominently during his high school career.  We also know how he turned out.

We stayed at the Driskill Hotel.  The first "fancy" hotel that I had ever stayed in.  Toured the campus on Saturday.  Had breakfast at Cisco's in East Austin and dinner at Matt's El Rancho that evening.

This brings back a lot of memories!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, ConferenceRoom said:

It was a loss to Tech at home in the early 90s. 90 or 91 I’m guessing but I’m too lazy to check texassports.

This is the first one I remember anyway.

Most likely 1989.  My first game also.  Lost 24-17.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:13 PM, msucolt45 said:

I can’t count the times of watching, in person, of my beloved Longhorns growing up, but my first as an actual student was the UVA game in September of ‘95. I remember of the Barber brothers coming to town for the matchup, but the Horns were ready!

I also remember Phil Dawson kicking the game winner (50 yards) into the South side and windy conditions. Horns win!

Hook’em!

i was at this game, ill swear on a stack of bibles that ball was going backwards when it crossed the goal 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Same. My seats were about the south 10 yard line and I swear that kick had more hang time than an average punt.

Our student seats in those days were North end, East Side....so we couldn't tell...had to wait for the south end reaction!

What a fuggin kick.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, CycleTex87 said:

My first live & in person Texas game was the 1981 SMU game at Texas Stadium.  9-7 Texas win.  I went with a church high school group.  Back in the days when Texas had a kick ass defense.

Scoring Summary (Final)
                       1981 University of Texas Football
              #10 Texas vs #8 SMU (Oct 24, 1981 at Irving, Texas)

Texas (5-1,2-0-1) vs. SMU (6-1,3-1)
Date: Oct 24, 1981  Site: Irving, Texas         Stadium: Texas Stadium
Attendance: 60777

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Texas...............  3  0  3  3  -  9
SMU.................  0  0  0  7  -  7

1st quarter

12:19        UT        Allegre 32 FG                                   3 - 0
                       4 plays, 5 yards, TOP 1:14

3rd quarter

00:22        UT        Allegre 32 FG                                   6 - 0
                       6 plays, 27 yards, TOP 1:58

4th quarter

11:43        UT        Allegre 52 FG                                   9 - 0
                       4 plays, 4 yards, TOP 2:01

10:14        SM        Wilson 70 pass from McIlhenny                   9 - 7
                       3 plays, 80 yards, TOP 1:34

Kickoff time: 1:30 pm   End of Game: 4:22 pm   Total elapsed time: 2:52
Officials: Referee: Bill Begin; Umpire: Zeke Martin; Linesman: Bob Jones;
Line judge: Roger Rogers; Back judge: Dan Wilford; Field judge: J.D. Roland;
Temperature: 56 deg.   Wind: S 15 mph  Weather: partly cloudy

I was there.   Older brother was a freshman at Texas.   That defense was violent … and dont forget they were playing on the bullshit concrete / artificial turf at Texas stadium back in the day.   Those dudes were tougher than nails.  Pain meds must have been abused big-time back in the day.   

First game was Tech in 1958; I was 9.  Don't remember much except I ate a lot and there was some weird person in a Zorro outfit riding around on a black horse.  Seats were in the North End Zone; Horns won 12-7.  My Little League football team ("Colts") had some sort of promo tickets so we got in free.  My Dad drove us from Killeen in our 1958 Pontiac station wagon; it was a night game, so I'd bet we were all asleep before we got to Pfleugerville.

• Like 1

First football game was 1996 against New Mexico State at 4 years old. Don’t remember any of it, but pictures say I was there. The first one I remember was the 1999 debacle against NC State. My mom had to explain to 3 kids (my older sisters were also there) as to why Texas lost, and it was years later that I figured out it was due to special teams fuckery. Fun times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/29/2021 at 12:34 AM, Knighthawk said:

1981.    Texas 9 SMU 7 at the old Texas stadium.   Viscous defense and a pretty good kicker.   Texas offense was beyond anemic - but they won.  Freaking Akers.   

That was my second game. Our offense was bad because the UT QB at the time really was not capable of running it.  It was glorious shutting down Dickerson and James though.

My first game was the 1979 game vs SMU at Texas Stadium. UT won 30-6.  The '79 Texas defense is one of the best in school history. Watching them in person was a sight to behold. I felt sorry for that SMU OG who had to at first block Steve McMichael and then his backup Kenneth Sims.

Sept 17, 1966 vs USC. Loss 10-6. John Wayne on the USC sidelines. Kept flipping off the Texas Students. I had been a Texas fan forever. No legacy. First in my family to go to college. Despite the loss, I was so proud to be there Thank you Mom and Dad for making it possible. 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:27 PM, dcbc said:

I was almost eleven years old.  Texas/OU 1984.  Dumped rain.  Ended in a tie. 

I was at that game. Also 11. Mostly what I remember is sitting in the end zone and a bunch of umbrellas and I mostly couldn’t see jack shit. Remember Kevin Nelson getting to the 2 and we still couldn’t score. Remember everyone thinking the OU punter stepped on the end zone line for a safety that wasn’t called. But I couldn’t see it. Our punter John teltschik was bad ass though. That I could see. Heard the end of the game on the radio heading home.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I was at that game. Also 11. Mostly what I remember is sitting in the end zone and a bunch of umbrellas and I mostly couldn’t see jack shit. Remember Kevin Nelson getting to the 2 and we still couldn’t score. Remember everyone thinking the OU punter stepped on the end zone line for a safety that wasn’t called. But I couldn’t see it. Our punter John teltschik was bad ass though. That I could see. Heard the end of the game on the radio heading home.

That's funny.  My mom was an umbrella fan and got yelled at a lot during that game.  I was too young to correct her.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I guess since it was 1984 umbrella etiquette at football games had not yet developed along with a lack of rain gear.

Yeah, she's a football fan, but we're from Houston.  So she was used to indoor games I guess.  And it was the 80s and she probably just had gotten her hair done/did.  You know. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

1979 vs Baylor.  12 years old.  Pedestrian win 13-0.  We were ranked 6th (9-1) and Baylor was ranked 16th or 17th.  Defense kicked ass holding Baylor to 85 total yards or so.  Pedestrian ~500 yds of offense.

Went on to lose to a shitty 6-5 aggy team in the next game.  Would have gone to the Sugar bowl had we won.  Lost to Washington in the Sun bowl thereafter.  Finished like 12th or 13th.

When finishing 9-3 was a huge disappointment.

This thread explains all the terrible Facebook memes and Aggie obsession in the realignment thread, you are all ancient. My first game was in 2012 vs West Virginia. It was a great game, but it definitely hurt my adolescent heart. I hadn’t been that distraught since Albert Pujols hit that three run homer in ‘05 against the Astros in the playoffs, denying them a World Series appearance. 

Edited by CastHorn