Austin Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

Long gone but not forgotten:

Mad Dog & Beans, 24th St

Casita Jorge's, Pleasant Valley

Abbey Inn, Riverside

Filling Station, Barton Springs, (Yeah yeah, but I ate a last meal there during freshman orientation with a pack of new friends. I still think about that every time I drive by.)

JMMC, (But I only invested in 1 beef rib at the time!) 😉

Whatcha got?

2 hours ago, WithoutAClue said:

Jaime's Spanish Village, OK food but great ambiance.

You could say that about a lot of places.  We miss them for the nostalgia and the memories that came with them. 

I'll say:

Alligator Grill

Curra's on Burnet (used to live closer to the one on Oltorf, but we went to the Burnet location when we move from South Austin)

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

You could say that about a lot of places.  We miss them for the nostalgia and the memories that came with them. 

I'll say:

Alligator Grill

Curra's on Burnet (used to live closer to the one on Oltorf, but we went to the Burnet location when we move from South Austin)

The Gator had a fantastic happy hour! 10 cent peel&eat shrimp, 25 cent oysters and the Cajun kisses were like half off... I think they had dollar long necks too maybe?

I'll say:
Alligator Grill

Alligator grill on S. Lamar had killer HHs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

The place attached to the gas station, East of Woodrow (if I recall correctly)?   That place was fucking great.  

That's it.  It moved out to Bastrop Highway and disappeared shortly thereafter. You could buy her mole sauce and tamales at the farmers market for a while but that disappeared also.  To date, the best tamales and mole I've ever had in Texas.

there used to be a pho place on spicewood springs (west of mopac) and hart ln.  i forget the name of it.  jungle something?  they had the best fried rice.  i've never found anything close to it.  they shut down probably 6 or 7 years ago.  a restaurant named hai ky's there right now but i've never been and haven't really heard anything about it.  

On 5/11/2018 at 10:30 AM, gsoda3 said:

there used to be a pho place on spicewood springs (west of mopac) and hart ln.  i forget the name of it.  jungle something?  they had the best fried rice.  i've never found anything close to it.  they shut down probably 6 or 7 years ago.  a restaurant named hai ky's there right now but i've never been and haven't really heard anything about it.  

Pretty sure it was Victory Triumph Cafe

Edited by chainsaw
For me to poop on
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 3:10 PM, thrillhammer said:

gm steakhouse

hoffbrau steakhouse

mad dog and beans

hillberts on lamar

las manitas

Hoffbrau is gone?  Da fuq.  Website's still up. 

I hated las manitas so much.  Probably had something to do with the hangovers I had when I went there.

On 5/11/2018 at 10:00 AM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I miss Musashino's below China town on Mopac.  I know they've reopened, but the new location isn't the same. 

Didn't even know it was closed, haven't been in forever.  That was the site of my first date with the wife, circa 2001.

• Like 1

I liked Waterstreet that was in the building that's now been Sam's Boat for a decade plus.  That part of town had no options like it then.  You could do a decent piece of fresh fish and a wedge salad for like 8 bucks, and it was close to my office.

Still is actually but different office/company.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:28 AM, thrillhammer said:

the place the two old brothers used to run?  I had no idea it was still there.  i may be thinking of a different place.  

i dunno about the brothers part, but i had lunch at Walton's (right next door) today, and Hoffbrau was up and going, and its been ion that spot as long as i can remember.  they turned the side/back parking lot into an outdoor bar area with a bunch of tv's, washer pits, and a small stage - i guess for game day set up - although i think that's been there for a year or more

13 hours ago, ftf82 said:

Suzi's on South Lamar

When Mrs. South Austin and I were newlyweds and actually lived in South Austin, we would often walk to Suzi's.  There's been better Asian food in town since then, but at the time it was about as good as you could get in the area.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, South Austin said:

When Mrs. South Austin and I were newlyweds and actually lived in South Austin, we would often walk to Suzi's.  There's been better Asian food in town since then, but at the time it was about as good as you could get in the area.

Same Suzi's as Anderson/Shoal Creek?

1 minute ago, VolenteHawk said:

Same Suzi's as Anderson/Shoal Creek?

I think so, though that one closed for a while during the property's redevelopment.  It now shares the building with a couple other tenants, including a Filipino place I've been wanting to check out.  We haven't been to that Suzi's since it re-opened.

The Suzi's off South Lamar relocated to Rollingwood, but closed a few years ago I believe.

I think my affection for Suzi's is mostly nostalgia, since I think there are better Asian places in town, but I'd be willing to go back to confirm.