Houston Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

• 3 weeks later...

We lived in Briargrove until 2004 and we were regulars at Mama's Cafe. But our last time there a mouse ran through the dining room and everyone (including us) cleared out. It closed shortly thereafter.

I miss Leo's and Felix. The closest thing to Felix is Larry's Mexican Restaurant in Richmond. The greasy cheese is very close to Felix's old recipe. I grew up in Ft. Bend County and we probably ate at Larry's once a week through the 70's.

I also miss Uncle Tai's and the original Tony's on Post Oak. The new one just isn't the same. For years those two restaurants were the top two rated restaurants in town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Texadelphia is now also open on Montrose in the old Berryhill/Yucatan Taco location

I miss Stella Sola and Catalan a good bit. 

I miss what Reef was when it first opened.  I know it's closed for now, and has been rumored to return.  That said, the last time I went there it had lost most of, if not all of it's early glory.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mycox said:

Texadelphia has been open since November August. I guess they don't feel the need to get the word out.

It was fairly busy a few Sunday's ago during the football game.

was pleasantly surprised that i didn't have to drive way out on westheimer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This one still pisses me off.

Also, Guadalajara Bakery and Tacos on Washington between Heights and Shepherd. Grew up on their barbacoa and asado de puerco.  

closed in 2012 and that building has had one night club in it which was open for about 6 months since.  good job landlords. 

Edited by elfenix

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

closed in 2012 and that building has had one night club in it which was open for about 6 months since.  good job landlords. 

Makes me surly af. Literally ate there my entire life up until it closed. Dad lived down the street when I was born. Theirs were very likely the first tacos I ever ate. I lived in the apartments across the street for three years and ate there just about every weekend. Best hot sauce I've ever had. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/20/2018 at 7:23 AM, Air_Matt said:

Brian O’Neil’s in the village had really good food. Brunch on Sunday’s during football season was a go to, the free Jell-O shots when the Texans scored was cool too.

I was walking in the village with a friend that knows the owner well one day they were doing maintenance on the place.  as my friend was chatting with him I watched the workers pull up boards to clean out all the dead rats accumulated under the deck.

• 2 months later...

Ate at the Texadelphia in Vintage Park tonight and it was outstanding! There was a real modern look with tons of TV’s and sports memorabilia all over the walls. The cheese steak, fries and mustard blend were every bit as good as I remembered. We will definitely be going back soon.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, Jimbaround said:

Okay, what is the Goddamn story on Nidda Thai? That strip center has been remodeling for two years. However, the new Nidda sign was on there starting a few months back.

Live in the neighborhood and have noticed the lights on inside on weekdays with quite a few trucks parked outside. It looks like they're getting close to being done from the looks of it.