Houston Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

Tejas, Alief

Rusty Pelican, Westheimer/Wilcrest

Danny Wong's Kitchen, Richmond Ave, (Right next to the Pink Pussycat!)

Mata Hari Indonesian, Carillon Center

Boston Sea Party, Westheimer

Mama's Cafe, Westheimer

I'm sure I'll think of some more.

Yours?

48 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Felix's

Rotisserie For Beef and Bird

Roznovsky's

Cafe Toulouse 

Wasn't Daniel Wong's on Bissonnet? It was damn good. 

Those are good ones.

Danny moved to Bissonnet after his Richmond shop. Before the Richmond store he had the Ten Fathoms downtown. My folks were friends but decided that when he moved to Bissonnet he tried to "healthy" it up too much and it lost a flavor or two.

Great Charcoal Chicken - Counter service at lunch but damn that stuff was good.

Mine? "Jalapeno Quarter White, Beans, Fries and Tea"

I'd give up a year of my life for one last plate.

(Don't worry, it's not likely to be a very "good" year.)

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 5:25 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

I miss Rotisserie for Beef and Bird.  Loved their quail, duck and other wild game.  Great wine selections.

Lived a few blocks from there in the mid 90's right after getting out of school. I never went there because I was a serious poor at the time. 

los dos amigos.  i may have gotten the last plate of enchiladas they ever served. 

10 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Christian’s Totem.

I ate there four or five times the last week it was open.

i must take lunch at a different time than you because i was there 3 or 4 times.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Felix

Mama's Cafe

Texadelphia (Westheimer)

La Strada

Los Tios (yeah, still around but under the new owners the place sucks)

Cafe Adobe (Westheimer)

Ruggles (the original one on Westheimer)

San Jacinto Inn

Cafe Adobe, great call.  I haven't thought about that place in years, even though I drive through that intersection all the damned time.

And how does your list not include Pappa C's???

On 6/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, Planet Houston said:

Cafe Adobe, great call.  I haven't thought about that place in years, even though I drive through that intersection all the damned time.

And how does your list not include Pappa C's???

It's also open again, in one capacity or another.

i don't recall double dave's being in the houston market growing up.  for all i know they could have been all over cypress/tomball, though. 

there's a double dave's open in katy. at least there was 2 years ago.

I don’t think they came to Houston until the early 2000s. Maybe I am wrong. But the first time I ate there was in Austin in the early 90s. Yeah, I know they are from the butthole of Texas.

But there is one on weathermen bear dairy ashford and a couple in the burbs such as copperfield and Klein.

30 minutes ago, Viper said:

there's a double dave's open in katy. at least there was 2 years ago.

been to the one in katy a time or three. but it wasn't there until the early 00s or maybe 99. 

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t think they came to Houston until the early 2000s. Maybe I am wrong. But the first time I ate there was in Austin in the early 90s. Yeah, I know they are from the butthole of Texas.

But there is one on weathermen bear dairy ashford and a couple in the burbs such as copperfield and Klein.

i'd really like to see this weatherman bear

I have mixed emotions about Mama's Cafe on Westheimer.  I really liked the place, but I went there a lot with my ex.

I miss Vargo's.  Spent many dinners before high school formals there trying to make my date feel fancy so I could get laid.  It was a beautiful restaurant, but the food was probably so so, not that my uneducated high school palate knew the difference.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 5/9/2018 at 2:53 PM, Mack Tripper said:

Catalan

Fox Diner

Hunan on Post Oak

Kahn's Deli

Holley's

Triple A

Felix's

Roznovsky's

Cafe Toulouse 

Wasn't Daniel Wong's on Bissonnet? It was damn good. 

Some good one's on here.  Felix was the best.  Hunan was great.  I'll add the old Schezuan Restaurant on Westheimer and Voss and Lotus on Westheimer and Fountainview.  Mama's Cafe on Westheimer (cant figure out why nothing is being done with location).  Otto's...it sucked really but I still miss it, La Casa del Caballo was awesome but in a jinxed location.  It wasn't opened long but one of the best rib eyes around.

Mama's Cafe - still can't understand why that placed closed down.

The Railhead

Dong Ting - high priced Chinese in a fabulous setting right near Brennan's

Dirty's

La Mora

Molina's on Buffalo Speedway

Samperi's Import Co. (Almeda Mall) - best sandwich ever made. 

38 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

Christian's Totem is closed?  Texadelphia is open on Westheimer and Dunvale.  It's really good.

yeah it closed a few years ago. 

Did the Texadelphia on westheimer close and then reopen or did that one never close? The one by me closed and I now there was a bunch of other locations that have gone away.

1 minute ago, Viper said:

yeah it closed a few years ago. 

Did the Texadelphia on westheimer close and then reopen or did that one never close? The one by me closed and I now there was a bunch of other locations that have gone away.

No, the big one on Westheimer where Beaver's currently is closed a couple years ago along with all the others.  They all were terrible though.  Quality went down with cheaper ingredients.  New owners brought back all the original recipes.  Quality back up.  It's pretty good.