Houston Restaurants You Miss The Most

DoobieWah

On 12/6/2020 at 12:53 AM, Mack Tripper said:

Chicken and Egg Roll on Shepherd 

My wife and I had a townhome in midtown from 2005-15. For about a 6-7 year stretch our Sunday routine was to order hangover mop up combo fried rice, general tso and some egg rolls for take out. Good times.. 

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Les Givral's Kahve. I know the other is still open. And honestly the vermicelli bowl there was the same as just about any Vietnamese joint. But man, I wanted to bump uglies with the Vietnamese chick that managed that spot on Washington. RIP.

is she not at oui bahn mi now?  washington and the one in mid town split, guessing a divorce or something, and the washington people opened oui bahn mi

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 11:59 AM, Hate said:

I just saw that the Texadelphia in Vintage Park has closed. That is very sad to see.

Fuuuurk, right across from my neighborhood.  They knew my order when I would show up at the bar.

Edited by tx ind

No, Champs was a local chain of coffee shop/diner type places kind of like House of Pies or Jim's in SA. 

My mother went through a midlife crisis in the early 80s, and just quit cooking. My dad didn’t cook. I didn’t yet know how to cook. I bet I ate 100 meals a year at champs for a couple of years. It was fine, but the circumstances made it depressing.

Then, I got older, and realized it was a kick ass place to get some vitamin G after drinking, so I liked it.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hate seeing places close but that list has some relative new comers on it.  Considering how tough it is to make it in that line of business, it's not that surprising to see places that were only open 12-24 months close.  We're not talking about Brennan's or Rainbow Lodge type places (yet.)

Edited by Macanudo

Yeah, but Treebeards, Raging Cajun, Barry's pizza, and several Pappas places. Certainly a change in the landscape. 

Edited to add: And there are a lot more mom and pops that have closed outside the loop where Houston food writers generally fear to tread. 

Edited by DoobieWah

I just saw that the Texadelphia in Vintage Park has closed. That is very sad to see.

Was it any good? I gave up on them before they closed their Houston locations the first time. I thought they had gone downhill and that sucks because I have a lot of great memories from eating and cooking there in college.

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Yeah, but Treebeards, Raging Cajun, Barry's pizza, and several Pappas places. Certainly a change in the landscape. 

Edited to add: And there are a lot more mom and pops that have closed outside the loop where Houston food writers generally fear to tread. 

RIP Barry's. Not priced well, but when lunch was catered, I always prayed it was Barry's. 

Losing Raging Cajun on Gessner, but gaining Treebeards is a net gain for Memorial. That said, that Raging Cajun location was usually better than the Richmond location. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, Jimbaround said:

Okay, what is the Goddamn story on Nidda Thai? That strip center has been remodeling for two years. However, the new Nidda sign was on there starting a few months back.

Nidda Thai is now open for takeout. Looks like Voodoo Donuts isn't far behind.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, mycox said:

Nidda Thai is now open for takeout. Looks like Voodoo Donuts isn't far behind.

Thanks, we took out from there Sat night.  The guy who took my order said they were closed for 26 months.  I have to imagine they own the strip center to be able to weather that storm.

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

Thanks, we took out from there Sat night.  The guy who took my order said they were closed for 26 months.  I have to imagine they own the strip center to be able to weather that storm.

I don't think they own that strip. I know she and her husband have a couple of other businesses, one of them is the auto shop next to Kenneally's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, mycox said:

Goodnight Charlie’s is also closed - you won't have to punch anyone

So I gathered. I attended an event at La Grange a few weeks ago, and I tried to go in there and buy a drink so I could use their ample parking lot. The door was locked. 

In other news, La Grange has plenty of parking now. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, deadshank said:

Has anyone tried the Texadelphia next to Treebeard’s on Gaylord?  Is it the same as it ever was?

We went and had really poor service on our one visit.  literally only table in entire restaurant and still couldn't land a drink for over 10 minutes and then took forever to order......you know it's bad when I had to get up and ask the 6-7 waiters who were chatting it up if they were open and that was still not a call to action for anyone.  It was very bizarre.

Food was fine but we ain't in hurry to go back when there are other places like mia's for the kids around the corner.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

The old/original Ruggles (not black or green) on Westheimer in Montrose. I used to go there with my parents all the time growing up for brunch. 

The ruggles cafe and bakery in the village was a good lunch spot also. Coincidently, that guy was in the news last week with some bad shit tied to his name. 

7 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

The ruggles cafe and bakery in the village was a good lunch spot also. Coincidently, that guy was in the news last week with some bad shit tied to his name. 

Molzan is a total scumbag. Some past charges against him include child molestation, non payment of tips and running an illegal seafood network.  

Yeah they had to change the name Bellagreen after he caught a charge on serving illegal seafood. Seems like he largely skated. 

Their food is very good and reasonably priced. The owner is a scumbag, but I’ll keep eating there. It’s the one of the few options in City Centre that doesn’t shake you down for a sit down dinner. 

I guess Chula’s Memorial  fits here. There’s a location in Tomball still, but I doubt I’ll ever drive out there. 

Lemon pepper wings were some of the best in the city. Chicken fajitas were always on point. Good red and green sauce. Decent lunch menu. Modelo especials always tasted better there. 

And oh yeah, the scenery was terrific. Ojos Locos bought the location, but it won’t be the same. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah they had to change the name Bellagreen after he caught a charge on serving illegal seafood. Seems like he largely skated. 

Their food is very good and reasonably priced. The owner is a scumbag, but I’ll keep eating there. It’s the one of the few options in City Centre that doesn’t shake you down for a sit down dinner. 

Well It’s telling that you support a child molester, an environmental scofflaw and a thief because he can give you a decent meal. Way to stand for something!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KaiserSoze said:

I left Houston for Austin nearly 20 years ago, but am gonna revisit the 2018 mentions of Mama's Cafe on this thread - especially the Huevos Hofbrau- R.I.P.

Remember when I almost died there?