Sublime

Muy Frio

Cool piece here. Didn’t realize they recorded a lot of their last album at Willie’s studio and wrecked it. They were in process of crashing and burning. 

Not a ton of good quality live stuff online but I always liked this cover. 

Also always liked this one. 90s nostalgia here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On Sirius Lithium, a few days ago, the band and Paul Leary (producer, Butthole Surfers) were telling stories about the recording process. Leary said for the first few days they started at noon and the band would show up absolutely shitfaced. The band then requested they start at 8am so they’d be sober. At 8 the next day, the band walks in with pitchers of margaritas for breakfast. Leary knew right then it was gonna be a train wreck.

Interesting tidbit on Santeria…Leary said they tried to get the guitar solo right and did dozens and dozens of takes. On the last take, the engineer when splicing it in had some overlap on the last few notes of the solo so it sounded like he was playing two notes instead of one. The engineer wanted to fix it and Leary said no, no one will notice the mistake. Every time he’s seen a cover band plays that song, they always play the two notes.

Man, Sublime just seems of such a specific time. Growing up in the RGV, in high school in the mid-late 90s and in the surfer/lifeguard/good times set—- that band was pretty much the soundtrack to my life. Of course, 40 oz. to Freedom was the “cool” album to like. Every now and then I still give them a play on road trips and the like. My burnout surfer English class buddy once turned in some of their lyrics as his poem. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 7:27 AM, Muy Frio said:

Cool piece here. Didn’t realize they recorded a lot of their last album at Willie’s studio and wrecked it. They were in process of crashing and burning. 

Not a ton of good quality live stuff online but I always liked this cover. 

Also always liked this one. 90s nostalgia here. 

Arlyn gets no credit in the article, but they still had the record on the wall when I was there in the 90s

On 8/1/2021 at 8:27 AM, Muy Frio said:

lNot a ton of good quality live stuff online but I always liked this cover. 

Not sure why. That was awful. They had one album that I thought was okay but that cover of Scarlet was downright offensive. Adding rap about ecstasy, heroin, and PCP? And no jam? Go fuck yourselves, posers. I mean, musicians will be covering the Dead for decades to come, so that’s good, but that was easily the worst Dead cover I’ve ever heard.

I’ll leave it to Hate to post the Scarlet > Fire from Cornell 5/8/77. 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Not sure why. That was awful. They had one album that I thought was okay but that cover of Scarlet was downright offensive. Adding rap about ecstasy, heroin, and PCP? And no jam? Go fuck yourselves, posers. I mean, musicians will be covering the Dead for decades to come, so that’s good, but that was easily the worst Dead cover I’ve ever heard.

I’ll leave it to Hate to post the Scarlet > Fire from Cornell 5/8/77. 

If there’s one thing you can say about Sublime— they weren’t posers when it comes to drugs. 

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Greatful Dead. The only songs I would recognize as them is the shitty song with the skeletons in the video and the song about cocaine and a train. That Sublime cover is awesome IMO

Yeah, any Grateful Dead cover that doesn't sound like the Grateful Dead has a head start, in my opinion.

22 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Greatful Dead. The only songs I would recognize as them is the shitty song with the skeletons in the video and the song about cocaine and a train. That Sublime cover is awesome IMO

No accounting for taste. The song with the skeletons in the video was Touch of Grey, their biggest hit. The song about cocaine and a train was Casey Jones, from their 1970 release Workingman’s Dead. That was the second of two albums they released that year with a more country/acoustic flair, the first was American Beauty. Ever listen to that album? Ever listen to either of them?

I didn’t think so.

Nobody who likes the Dead cares if you don’t like the Dead. They played hundreds of songs and you’ve heard two of them. You’re obviously in a position to judge.

And that cover of Scarlet sucks balls. Even if I didn’t know the song I’d think that sucks balls. And are those jorts? Since when is that acceptable on this board? :D

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No accounting for taste. The song with the skeletons in the video was Touch of Grey, their biggest hit. The song about cocaine and a train was Casey Jones, from their 1970 release Workingman’s Dead. That was the second of two albums they released that year with a more country/acoustic flair, the first was American Beauty. Ever listen to that album? Ever listen to either of them?

I didn’t think so.

Nobody who likes the Dead cares if you don’t like the Dead. They played hundreds of songs and you’ve heard two of them. You’re obviously in a position to judge.

And that cover of Scarlet sucks balls. Even if I didn’t know the song I’d think that sucks balls. And are those jorts? Since when is that acceptable on this board? :D

Nobody that likes Sublime cares if you don't like Sublime.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I didn’t think so.

if your taste in music is anything like your taste in foods I’ll take this as confirmation of my initial take

On 8/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, jimmyjazz said:

You care.

The Grateful Dead suck(ed) balls.  They're on the Mount Rushmore of Suck, right up there with The Doors, Jethro Tull, and Phish.

Uh-huh
Can't wait to go down, hey, uh, were ya gonna check out the sand bar while you're down there?
Uh, what's the Sand Bar?
Ah, it's a place that lets sixteen year-old kids drink
Ah, cool
Yeah, hey, guess who's gonna be there?
Uh, who?
My favorite cover band, Crystal Shit
Wow
Yeah, they do a Doors show, you'd be really impressed, in fact, it goes a little like this
Love me two times, baby
Love me twice today
Love me two times, girl
'Cause I got AIDS
Love me two times, baby
Once for tomorrow
Once cause I got AIDS
Uh, pretty good Jim Morrison impersonation there
I hope those guys have a good sense of humor and don't take us into court

Man I forgot about this thread and I come back to some hot takes. What the Buck is the definite loser here though. I liked the Grateful Dead when I was a college stoner but eventually you’re not high all the time and the music isn’t all that great. The vocals are too whiny.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:39 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I didn’t think so.

That live version of Scarlet was a slopfest.  The version on the album I mentioned in the post above is actually pretty good.  And I'm a huge Dead fan. 

On 8/15/2021 at 3:32 PM, dcbc said:

I nearly wore the 40oz2Freedom CD out back in the day.  Nowadays, when it comes into the mix, I still crank it.

Same. It's a great beginning-to-end type of CD for a trip to the beach or outside. And by that I mean the the Skunk records one with Get Out! as track 2 and the other random bits they couldn't include  on the reissues due to licensing.

I was at a 311 show with No Doubt opening up (which was weird, because at the time No Doubt had way more MTV play).  Gwen Stefani told us all that Bradly had just died. 

• Hook 'Em 1