Champions League 2021 - 2022

Napoleon

City has absolutely zero club identity outside of their money. They are trying to buy titles on a scale that sports has never seen before. Even if I weren't a Madrid fan, I could never support anything like that. I know all the major clubs everywhere are spending ridiculous amounts of money, but City were a literal nobody until Abu Dhabi came in. This isn't a team rising up through grit and hard work. They were bought.

Fuck them. Hala Madrid!

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

City has absolutely zero club identity outside of their money. They are trying to buy titles on a scale that sports has never seen before. Even if I weren't a Madrid fan, I could never support anything like that. I know all the major clubs everywhere are spending ridiculous amounts of money, but City were a literal nobody until Abu Dhabi came in. This isn't a team rising up through grit and hard work. They were bought.

Fuck them. Hala Madrid!

To be fair, Madrid “bought” a lot of talent for this year’s $354,000,000 payroll 

• Haha 1

Madrid also has an enormous, established academy and a solid handful of current players also came up from their reserve squad, including Casemiro, Vini, Rodrygo, Valverde, in addition to academy products Carvajal, Nacho, and Lucas Vasquez.

As I said, all the major clubs are spending money. But City is the notable standout from buying their way to prosperity. All the other big clubs were already big before this era of spend.

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m not for, or against, them.   In my view, $$$ is $$$ is $$$.  Doesn’t matter from whom

But the comment that started this was about identity, and how City didn't have it before the oil money (not fully fair, 37 and 68, but close). Madrid has been a giant for years.

What's crazy is City play like soulless robots too. Once something goes wrong, it's "ERROR...DOES NOT COMPUTE..." and they have no ability to just gut out a few minutes without allowing things to get even worse. Doesn't matter who subbed in, there was no one on City who was going to take matters into his own hands and get the winner/equalizer

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

But the comment that started this was about identity, and how City didn't have it before the oil money (not fully fair, 37 and 68, but close). Madrid has been a giant for years.

And they undoubtedly have been one of the, if not the, richest teams in Spain.  I’m just saying old money is no different than new money in sports. That’s all.

19 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Have a seat and the. Let me tell you about a little ol’ American sports team by the name if the New York Yankees.

After that, I have a little story about a group of mercenaries that went by the name- Los Galácticos. 

1 minute ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Madrid also has an enormous, established academy and a solid handful of current players also came up from their reserve squad, including Casemiro, Vini, Rodrygo*, Valverde, in addition to academy products Carvajal, Nacho, and Lucas Vasquez.

As I said, all the major clubs are spending money. But City is the notable standout from buying their way to prosperity. All the other big clubs were already big before this era of spend.

*These Brazilians were all purchased by a free spending club that can purchase starlets on speculation and then keep them away from their opposition and maybe even see them join the full squad just like Man City & Chelsea have been doing for the last 15 and 20+ years, respectively. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And they undoubtedly have been one of the, if not the, richest teams in Spain.  I’m just saying old money is no different than new money in sports. That’s all.

It's kind of the chicken or the egg argument to me. Now, undeniably, Madrid had considerable advantages domestically because of their association to the Crown. But it's perfectly understandable that previous success begets more money/opportunity, and it's off that early success that Madrid (indeed, all the major clubs in the world) has become a staple at the top of the footballing world. At some point Madrid had to start winning or they'd be no different than any of the other Real teams in Spain. And that success has created La Fabrica and the entire identity of the Club, not just top side team. Real Madrid is a sporting club, much like Barcelona. They compete in multiple sports domestically and across Europe.

City was a mid-table/bottom tier side until Abu Dhabi bought them. Then almost overnight, they became one of the best teams in the world. That's nothing to be proud of, and it should be chastized, IMO. Their only identity was being "Noisy Neighbors" to United prior to Abu Dhabi's money.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand how that makes them more likeable for some people but then again I'm not a fan of either of these clubs. 

I am numb to City, they are a soulless team without any character. I used to hate them with Aguero, Fernandinho, Yaya, Joe Hart. I don't like them, but for whatever reason don't hate them.

I am absolutely not a fan of Real Madrid. Fuck Ramos, Casimero, Marcelo, Zidane, Tbo, etc. I have a soft spot for Benzema. I was wanting him to keep his crazy streak going because without him they are knocked out before Chelsea.

I expect LFCF to win vs Madrid, but fuck I expected Chelsea and Manchester City to beat them as well. I guess we will see.

Karim Benzema operates as a nine and a half for Real Madrid - AS USA

15 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I expect LFCF to win vs Madrid, but fuck I expected Chelsea and Manchester City to beat them as well. I guess we will see.

and as much pleasure as everyone gets from watching psg trip on their dicks around here, i did not expect them to beat them either.

the english teams got cake walks compared to real madrid and my disdain for them runs high.  psg, chelsea, city, liverpool.  as opposed to sporting cp, benefica, villareal, lille...even inter.

huge win for the pocket money today as well...had real at +390.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

It's kind of the chicken or the egg argument to me. Now, undeniably, Madrid had considerable advantages domestically because of their association to the Crown. But it's perfectly understandable that previous success begets more money/opportunity, and it's off that early success that Madrid (indeed, all the major clubs in the world) has become a staple at the top of the footballing world. At some point Madrid had to start winning or they'd be no different than any of the other Real teams in Spain. And that success has created La Fabrica and the entire identity of the Club, not just top side team. Real Madrid is a sporting club, much like Barcelona. They compete in multiple sports domestically and across Europe.

City was a mid-table/bottom tier side until Abu Dhabi bought them. Then almost overnight, they became one of the best teams in the world. That's nothing to be proud of, and it should be chastized, IMO. Their only identity was being "Noisy Neighbors" to United prior to Abu Dhabi's money.

No doubt, and I am not attacking you, or anyone who is a fan. But the club has had a huge advantage over the years. Now, yes, they do things correctly in regards to having a great organization, and it shows. But, what Napoleon said about the ability to stockpile young talent is also true.

I remember when my godson's Karlsruhe team went to Barcelona for a game with their 12-year old team and the one kid Mikey played against was "the next Messi". According to my cousin's husband that is what they were all, even the Barcelona folks, saying about the kid. He wasn't the next Messi but, if you stockpile enough youngsters you may be correct, once every 10, or 15 years, and that is enough.

That said, I'm not a fan of any English team because for me, and my family, until they free the Six Counties, they can right fuck off.

I don't agree with that last statement you made. Since 1993 Montreal's last of its 23, or 24, Stanley Cup victories "new" teams have won a good number of Cups. Tampa Bay (3), Anaheim (1), Carolina (1), Since 1982 when the Devils became a thing they have won three, the Penguins were founded in 1967 and they have won five. The Avalanche, since they moved from Quebec, have won two.

They all count. 

All that being said, I do plan to watch the finals, it will be fun, and much like me watching Notre Dame v State Pen, I can hate on both teams. 🙃

Edited by PittsburghTiger

11 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

No doubt, and I am not attacking you, or anyone who is a fan. But the club has had a huge advantage over the years. Now, yes, they do things correctly in regards to having a great organization, and it shows. But, what Napoleon said about the ability to stockpile young talent is also true.

I remember when my godson's Karlsruhe team went to Barcelona for a game with their 12-year old team and the one kid Mikey played against was "the next Messi". According to my cousin's husband that is what they were all, even the Barcelona folks, saying about the kid. He wasn't the next Messi but, if you stockpile enough youngsters you may be correct, once every 10, or 15 years, and that is enough.

That said, I'm not a fan of any English team because for me, and my family, until they free the Six Counties, they can right fuck off.

I don't agree with that last statement you made. Since 1993 Montreal's last of its 23, or 24, Stanley Cup victories "new" teams have won a good number of Cups. Tampa Bay (3), Anaheim (1), Carolina (1), Since 1982 when the Devils became a thing they have won three, the Penguins were founded in 1967 and they have won five. The Avalanche, since they moved from Quebec, have won two.

They all count. 

All that being said, I do plan to watch the finals, it will be fun, and much like me watching Notre Dame v State Pen, I can hate on both teams. 🙃

I don't have any animosity toward small-market teams or new teams (on the complete contrary). Tampa Bay, as an example, has done an excellent job of building that franchise up from basically nothing. They lean on their player development. So, too, did the Astros in 2017, with a couple of well-placed acquisitions. 

It's not about big vs. small. When Leicester won the PL, it was one of the greatest stories in sports history. 

The issue is when a team is just able to decide that they're a big team now simply because they can afford it. There was no growth. No perseverance. No overcoming long odds to win and earn their spot at the top. They literally just bought a championship contender out of thin air. None of City's titles are special because they had unlimited capital to invest in world-class players. Look at the other big clubs in England and see how many of their players are products of their academy. You can't remotely say the same thing for City.

That's the distinction to me. At the end of the day, each of the successful clubs in England developed into a successful club. They didn't just become one overnight like City has.