Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

Probably needs to be a forum and not a thread.  There are many examples over the last month, so I'll begin here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/us/airbnb-black-women-police.html

Ms. Fyffe-Marshall said the officers came out of their cars, demanding the group put their hands in the air. At first, the renters “joked about the misunderstanding,” she said, but the situation escalated after 20 minutes when a sergeant arrived.

The sergeant didn’t know what Airbnb was, “insisted that we were lying about it and said we had to prove it,” Ms. Fyffe-Marshall said. She showed the officers their booking confirmations and called the landlord, and the group was detained for 45 minutes, she said.

https://twitter.com/theGrio/status/993476103422529536

Edited by Pancho Negro

https://thegrio.com/2018/05/08/black-student-yale-police-nap/

Black Yale teaching fellow Lolade Siyonbola says her white neighbor took the extreme measure of calling the police when she fell asleep in the common area of the building where they both live.

Siyonbola uploaded two videos to Facebook. One showed the neighbor filming her and telling Siyonbola that the common room is not for sleeping. The other video was of her interaction with police once they arrived.

American Airlines passenger: ‘The cops were called on me for flying while fat & Black

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2018/04/30/american-airlines-passenger-the-cops-were-called-on-me-for-flying-while-fat-black/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8459e0d05155

When Phillips sat down, her arm rested next to that of the passenger in the adjacent seat, she said. Their arms were touching.

“I was thinking, I really hope she doesn’t treat me mean,” said Phillips, 28, who lives in Washington. “She was fidgeting, and finally she looks at me and goes, ‘Can you move over?’ ”

Phillips told her: “No, I actually can’t. I’m in the window seat.”

Phillips said she noticed the woman was growing increasingly annoyed at the tight space they were in.

They got off the plane at Reagan National Airport and headed to a shuttle bus that would bring them to a terminal.

Phillips said she was surprised moments later when a flight attendant announced that she was calling the police.

An officer with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police arrived and approached Phillips and told her to get off the shuttle, she said. He told her he was called for an assault investigation and asked her some questions. After a few minutes, the officer told both Phillips and the other woman they could leave. The incident delayed Phillips about 30 minutes, she said.

17 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Probably needs to be a forum and not a thread.  There are many examples over the last month, so I'll begin here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/us/airbnb-black-women-police.html

https://twitter.com/theGrio/status/993476103422529536

The body cam footage doesn't look good for Bob Marley's granddaughter and her friends. This seems to be an example of one that probably would have been best to not make a big stink over as it takes away from those that actually get abused by the cops for no good reason.  While annoying the cops handled this perfectly if you ask me. 

It's the Airbnb hosts fault for not telling her fucking neighbors that she was going to start renting the house.  

• Like 1

And another one [/dj khaled]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/05/08/nordstrom-rack-called-the-police-on-three-black-teens-who-were-shopping-for-prom/?utm_term=.d4c66d6ce28f

Nordstrom Rack apologizes after calling the police on three black teens who were shopping for prom

Three black teens shopping for prom at a Nordstrom Rack in Brentwood, Mo., near St. Louis, faced the police after store employees suspected they were shoplifting, calling further attention to incidents of racial profiling in commercial spaces over the past month.

Nordstrom has since apologized, and on Tuesday the young men met with Nordstrom executives to discuss the incident and work on ways to prevent them from happening again at company stores. Still, St. Louis NAACP President Adolphus Pruitt, who had met with the young men beforehand, told The Washington Post earlier on Tuesday that he and the young men knew an apology will not be a permanent solution.

“These kids, they’re owed an apology, but at the end of the day, it goes down to what can we do to keep this from happening to folks,” said Pruitt, who has met with them. “After all of this was said and done, Nordstrom cannot fix society on its own as it relates to these stereotypes.”

Pruitt said the young men met with company co-president Blake Nordstrom, President of Nordstrom Rack Geevy Thomas and Farrell Redwine, Nordstrom’s vice president of human resources. Pruitt said the executives personally apologized and “praised the young men for how they handled the entire situation.” The teens were accompanied by their parents, grandparents, the NAACP and their attorney, who was not named.

• Like 1

I had a black roommate in college. He drove me down to S. Austin one afternoon to pick up some stuff from my parents house. I went inside while he waited in the car. I was inside for probably 5 minutes. When I went back out, the po po had showed up. My roommate was spread-eagled against the car getting frisked.

Neighbors had called the cops.

I have trouble with cases where race is a relevant data point.  You see a black kid in an all white neighborhood, you know he doesn’t ‘belong’ there.  Your senses might perk up to see if anything else is wrong.  You see a white kid who equally doesn’t belong there.  Your senses don’t perk up because he doesn’t look out of place.  

I do my best to at least be aware of my biases, but situations like those don’t lend themselves to easy behavior changes because it is part of your pattern-recognition part of your brain which isn’t conscious and has been finely honed for 200,000 years, IMO.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I had a black roommate in college. He drove me down to S. Austin one afternoon to pick up some stuff from my parents house. I went inside while he waited in the car. I was inside for probably 5 minutes. When I went back out, the po po had showed up. My roommate was spread-eagled against the car getting frisked.

Neighbors had called the cops.

Had this happen in Highland Park. I was gong to my bosses house one night. Got lost  for a bit and finally found it. Look up and 2 cop cars behind me yelling at me to put my hands on the car

48 minutes ago, wd40 said:

white guy, here.  I got pulled over in Tarrytown for riding my bike at night back when I was going to UT and living in a shitty apartment off Norwalk Lane.  what do I win?

You didn't get run over by Gabrielle Nestande. That's what you won. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I have trouble with cases where race is a relevant data point.  You see a black kid in an all white neighborhood, you know he doesn’t ‘belong’ there.  Your senses might perk up to see if anything else is wrong.  You see a white kid who equally doesn’t belong there.  Your senses don’t perk up because he doesn’t look out of place.  

I do my best to at least be aware of my biases, but situations like those don’t lend themselves to easy behavior changes because it is part of your pattern-recognition part of your brain which isn’t conscious and has been finely honed for 200,000 years, IMO.  

It’s 2 AM on a Friday night. Would you feel the same walking through a predominantly black neighborhood that you would a predominantly white neighborhood? 

• Like 1

On the Yale one, it looks to me like it's more of an insane college student thing rather than a racial thing, although there could be racial bias fueling the insanity. The two students clearly had a prior history of squabbles, so it couldn't have been a case of "scary black person in the lounge." Students can be psychopathically petty and I could see one calling the cops on someone just to make their life difficult.

I usually lean anti-cop, but I think they did well here. Siyonbola was upset and annoyed (and likely justifiably so) and seemed to be taking it out on the cops. They took it well and kept the situation relatively calm.

16 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

There weren't any white people 200,000 years ago.

21 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

That was actually the second time that the student who called the cops called them on the black student.

https://www.theroot.com/a-black-yale-student-took-a-nap-in-a-dorm-common-room-1825893057

Updated Thursday, May 10, 2018, 8:20 a.m. EDT: The Yale Daily News has identified the white grad student who called the cops on a black classmate as Sarah Braasch.

The campus paper also sheds more light on an earlier incident when Braasch had called campus police on the same classmate, Lolade Siyonbola, and another black grad student, Jean-Louis Reneson.

In a complaint submitted to campus administrators in March by Reneson and Siyonbola, the students describe organizing a small group to meet in a Hall of Graduate Studies common room. According to the complaint, Reneson got lost in the HGS building and was physically blocked by Braasch from entering the common room after he asked her for directions.

When Reneson told Braasch he was a Yale student trying to meet up with his group, she accused of him of being an intruder, telling him he “didn’t belong [there]” and was making her “uncomfortable.”

Braasch eventually left the area and Reneson met up with his group, only to have four campus police officers show up because someone had reported a “suspicious character” on their floor.

According to the complaint, once Reneson established he was a Yale student, the police left.

25 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Why can't people be honest?

Because they know what's coming...which completely defeats their position. It's easier to blame arrests in the black neighborhoods on targeted racism than actually admit that nefarious illegal activities constantly take place and perhaps that's what the problem is. That maybe the reputation of the neighborhood itself dictates the feelings of personal safety for citizens and law enforcement based on actual criminal activity.

The purpose of this thread is to say "Here are examples of whites possibly being racist and transitive properties makes ALL transgressions against blacks a racist act!" Some people buy into the bullshit because they are trying to show how not-racist they really are. Some of us are smart.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Because they know what's coming...which completely defeats their position. It's easier to blame arrests in the black neighborhoods on targeted racism than actually admit that nefarious illegal activities constantly take place and perhaps that's what the problem is. That maybe the reputation of the neighborhood itself dictates the feelings of personal safety for citizens and law enforcement based on actual criminal activity.

The purpose of this thread is to say "Here are examples of whites possibly being racist and transitive properties makes ALL transgressions against blacks a racist act!" Some people buy into the bullshit because they are trying to show how not-racist they really are. Some of us are smart.

What? I question your assertion on the purpose of the thread. Seems to be it can be true that (1) racism, even if subconcious, is still a problem AND (2) that a majority of "trangressions against blacks" arent racist acts.  Awareness of (1) was what I understood the purpose of thread to be.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

LOL no it's not.  You're smarter than this. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What? I question your assertion on the purpose of the thread. Seems to be it can be true that (1) racism, even if subconcious, is still a problem AND (2) that a majority of "trangressions against blacks" arent racist acts.  Awareness of (1) was what I understood the purpose of thread to be.

Because there are several other threads by Pancho on the same topic naming individual incidents of racism, perceived or real. The discussion inevitably spirals into how whites are privileged, evil oppressors and black citizens just walk to church, minding their own business, and out of no where a racist act occurs without provocation. (I admit, I share my blame in this) Those that have white guilt are "woke" and those of us that convey that not all acts against someone are due to their skin color are part of the alt-right and believe blacks to be inferior, especially mentally. At least there's a meta-thread now, which is a good thing.

Everyone here agrees that racism is a problem, it's a drain on civilized society that exists and it sometimes fuels fervor against blacks both in society and through actions of law enforcement. If this hold true, the purpose of the thread is...what? To inspire change for what we all know to be an issue but disagree on the institutionalization of racism in society? It's certainly not to debate the merits of whether or not the reported act was racist in nature. It's metaphorical cheese on the mouse trap.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

I, for one, am pro-thread on this subject. I welcome the discussion around people being afraid of people of other races and feeling that they need cops to protect them from them. I don't expect any societal change whatsoever to come from this thread, but given how society (aside from college campuses) is prone to deflect conversations like this because it makes them feel uncomfortable, I think this is a good place for it. I suppose this thread has about the same purpose as any other thread on SurlyHorns or its predecessors, to discuss a topic that you normally wouldn't have someone else to discuss it with at this particular moment, so you come here to do it.

29 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Apparently not. What's the purpose of the thread? I know you to be a pretty smart dude yourself.

The purpose is to show dense fogs such as yourself that education, economic status or anything else doesn't matter for other races at times around white racists who feel uncomfortable with anyone other than whites themselves. 

Blacks do have a higher proportion of crime than whites but even Asians get police called on them just for not looking like they dont belong to a particular neighborhood despite having a crime rate much lower than whites. 

39 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Because there are several other threads by Pancho on the same topic naming individual incidents of racism, perceived or real. The discussion inevitably spirals into how whites are privileged, evil oppressors and black citizens just walk to church, minding their own business, and out of no where a racist act occurs without provocation. (I admit, I share my blame in this) Those that have white guilt are "woke" and those of us that convey that not all acts against someone are due to their skin color are part of the alt-right and believe blacks to be inferior, especially mentally. At least there's a meta-thread now, which is a good thing.

Everyone here agrees that racism is a problem, it's a drain on civilized society that exists and it sometimes fuels fervor against blacks both in society and through actions of law enforcement. If this hold true, the purpose of the thread is...what? To inspire change for what we all know to be an issue but disagree on the institutionalization of racism in society? It's certainly not to debate the merits of whether or not the reported act was racist in nature. It's metaphorical cheese on the mouse trap.

I actually believe a large segment of the population believes racism is a problem of the past. This thread and these incidents remind us that it still exists, and in more ways that overt I hate black people kind of way. Subconcious racism is hard to fight, especially when an effort isnt made to identify it. If you dont think racism is institutionalized in our society, you need this thread more than you think. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I can agree with most of this view. Part of me doesn't agree that common sense hasn't been honed over 200,000 years though. If Black people are walking in and out of the front door with luggage while wearing a sun hat and lounging clothes and packing up their personal vehicle, I'd mind my own business, because that's not how robberies usually work. But I get your point in general, about general situations though.

6 hours ago, whatup said:

The purpose is to show dense fogs such as yourself that education, economic status or anything else doesn't matter for other races at times around white racists who feel uncomfortable with anyone other than whites themselves. 

Blacks do have a higher proportion of crime than whites but even Asians get police called on them just for not looking like they dont belong to a particular neighborhood despite having a crime rate much lower than whites. 

A person so dense that he has stated that fact several times, including in the post above the one you just quoted? You are part of the problem. You are defending against an argument that no one is making to claim moral superiority. You're not "woke". At best your reading skills need improvement and at worst you are itching to twist a rebuttal to fit your race card flowchart. It's the reason I can't get behind the Liberal agenda anymore despite classifying myself as "Socially Liberal". People are tired of being judged every time they open their mouths because someone, somewhere is looking for a cause to defend. President Trump is proof positive of that.

That's my point: Who are "we" fighting against here? Is there someone on the board that claims that racism is a product of a bygone era and doesn't exist in 2018? Has someone stated that racism and racial profiling never occur? Point me to the source of the ire on Surly so that I can grab my pitchfork and join the angry mob too. Simply stating "Racism exists" doesn't help solve any problem. We need specific instances to hop on the emotion train. This thread provides such instances, which may or may not be open for interpretation on being fueled by racism. Giving the benefit of the doubt that they are...what are we now fighting? Bringing instances to our attention, when we all agree that they happen, seems like such a futile action. Especially when the intent is not to discuss the facts but act as a sounding board on checking a privilege that is perceived to exist in society while completely ignoring the factors contributing to the escalating of tensions. Not every black guy that shoots a white person had racist motivations behind the trigger. I would say that the vast majority did not, albeit, I cannot reasonably back up that statement. The same is true in reverse as well. Sometimes you are simply an asshole that happens to be black. (Or insert whatever race you prefer as the argument is transitive)

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I actually believe a large segment of the population believes racism is a problem of the past. This thread and these incidents remind us that it still exists, and in more ways that overt I hate black people kind of way. Subconcious racism is hard to fight, especially when an effort isnt made to identify it. If you dont think racism is institutionalized in our society, you need this thread more than you think. 

1. Throw out a statement that can't be disproven, so it must be true.

2. Bask in the glory of being enlightened.

Liberalism has become a religion.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

1. Throw out a statement that can't be disproven, so it must be true.

2. Bask in the glory of being enlightened.

Liberalism has become a religion.

I honestly don't understand what point you are making. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure we are using the same meaning of "institutionalized." Racism is a thing. It is bad. You agree with that. Racism can occur do to conscious thought, and that is definitely the thing we've targeted most of our resources to fixing. But, unconscious racism also exists. As mentioned previously, it is connected to the pattern mapping portion of our brains that has been taught through experience and repetition (even if those experiences were on TV or through stories) that we should be afraid of people of certain color. It happens without our direct knowledge, and sometimes even in spite of our efforts to resist it. It isn't a moral failing for a person to experience it. But it is a moral failing if the person refuses to even consider the possibility that it happens. 

In what countries is racism not institutionilized ??

Probably none, at least to the extent the institutionalization relates to subconscious racism? We fear things different from ourselves. Probably always will. I don't know why identifying times where that innate emotion has negatively presented itself is bad?

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Probably none, at least to the extent the institutionalization relates to subconscious racism? We fear things different from ourselves. Probably always will. I don't know why identifying times where that innate emotion has negatively presented itself is bad?

It's not a bad thing, but America gets called out all the time (by other Americans often) as a racist nation like other countries aren't. When in fact the entire world is racist, and much much more so in some cases than here.  America seems to be a country that's tried to deal with (institutionilized) racism at least at the federal level of gov't.  

We've made major inroads for sure, but ending it isn't gonna happen during anyones lifetime posting here that's for sure.

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Exactly. We all know racism exists, so why do we keep talking about it? If this thread doesn't solve racism, why start it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2