Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

That is why people hate cops. Even cops who aren't murdering someone. They so often have no sense of judgment and discretion. He could have politely just told the guy that food isn't allowed to be consumed at the station or on the train, if that is indeed the law, then let the guy finish his sandwich. Better yet, just leave the guy alone altogether if he isn't bothering anyone. If he dropped his wrapper on the ground, then cite him for littering. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zombie said:

That is why people hate cops. Even cops who aren't murdering someone. They so often have no sense of judgment and discretion. He could have politely just told the guy that food isn't allowed to be consumed at the station or on the train, if that is indeed the law, then let the guy finish his sandwich. Better yet, just leave the guy alone altogether if he isn't bothering anyone. If he dropped his wrapper on the ground, then cite him for littering. 

And this is what Andy Griffith would have done.  

Meanwhile, Barney Fife would have wanted to pistol-whip the guy and throw him in jail.  

Good grief, I've eaten/drank coffee plenty of times before boarding BART. Had no idea it was against the law. I mean, if there's a quota for them they could have arrested a lot of hipsters commuting into SF with their mason jar coffees.

Edited by YChang

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And this is what Andy Griffith would have done.  

Meanwhile, Barney Fife would have wanted to pistol-whip the guy and throw him in jail.  

When you're a lawman and you're dealing with people, you do a whole lot better if you go not so much by the book, but by the heart. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:14 PM, Bama Chick said:

Eating while black?

If I read the reporting correctly, including statements made by the newly elected DA in SF.....this man would have been OK had he been pissing or shitting on the BART platform, as they are no longer prosecuting those actions, but eating get's you thrown in the slammer?  Or,  is the black thing the overriding crime here?

Edited by Reagan1k

A good officer would walk over and inform the guy that food isn’t allowed on the platform. Ask him to please follow that law in the future and let him finish his sandwich. Most people want and are willing to follow rules but they may just be ignorant of them.

The cop is 100% wrong in this video but I would like to see the interaction before the video starts. I’m curious how the cop approached him and the initial comments. Sometimes there is slightly more to a story than the video shows. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

If I read the reporting correctly, including statements made by the newly elected DA in SF.....this man would have been OK had he been pissing or shitting on the BART platform, as they are no longer prosecuting those actions, but eating get's you thrown in the slammer?  Or,  is the black thing the overriding crime here?

if he were homeless, they woud've pulled up a chair for him to eat in.

• Haha 1

At some point, like with that guy, being a raging asshole (the way he's driving and acting) has to subsume the racism, doesn't it?

I kind of had the same thought with the mental chick screaming in the parking lot.

These people are just lashing out with hateful words.

While the behavior is aberrant and abhorrent, should be roundly condemned and possibly punished, it seems like giving them "credit" for being racist gives them too much power, or something.

Edited by TwiceHorn

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

At some point, like with that guy, being a raging asshole (the way he's driving and acting) has to subsume the racism, doesn't it?

I kind of had the same thought with the mental chick screaming in the parking lot.

While the behavior is aberrant and abhorrent, should be roundly condemned and possibly punished, it seems like giving them "credit" for being racist gives them too much power, or something.

Our entire country is in a fit of irrational lashing out.  Most of us also realize that "racism" comes standard with the "ragey asshole" package.  Bottom line, we just want to hurt each other these days.  Sure, there are plenty of folks who want to help each other, and be kind -- but they aren't in power, and they aren't empowered.  Hurtful, ragey, and racist is our dominant ethos right now.  That's kinda the problem, dude.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

There are people living on the Bart trains. They ride from end of the line to end of the line, sleeping on the train. They have to piss and shit somewhere, might as well be out in the open.

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Our entire country is in a fit of irrational lashing out.  Most of us also realize that "racism" comes standard with the "ragey asshole" package.  Bottom line, we just want to hurt each other these days.  Sure, there are plenty of folks who want to help each other, and be kind -- but they aren't in power, and they aren't empowered.  Hurtful, ragey, and racist is our dominant ethos right now.  That's kinda the problem, dude.

I haven't completely thought this through, but that guy's nothing special or unique to these times.  He's just a road rage asshole whose victim this time happened to be black. 

While I don't disagree with your premise concerning the ethos, I'm not sure this guy is any kind of example of anything other than a common or garden asshole.  Dime a dozen now, 10 or 20 years ago, and 10 or 20 years from now.

The premise of this thread is a more subtle and insidious form of racism that deserves exposure and discussion.  It's that type of structural racism that's more harmful than individual idiots screaming epithets.  Those people will always be around.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I haven't completely thought this through, but that guy's nothing special or unique to these times.  He's just a road rage asshole whose victim this time happened to be black. 

While I don't disagree with your premise concerning the ethos, I'm not sure this guy is any kind of example of anything other than a common or garden asshole.  Dime a dozen now, 10 or 20 years ago, and 10 or 20 years from now.

The premise of this thread is a more subtle and insidious form of racism that deserves exposure and discussion.  It's that type of structural racism that's more harmful than individual idiots screaming epithets.  Those people will always be around.

I'm gonna suggest that the acceptance -- even celebration -- of white nationalism and the like that we see right now is ABSOLUTELY permeating and influencing law enforcement.  No question, law enforcement has always had a significant racist bent/component.  But any opportunity to make progress on that is being counter-attacked -- successfully -- by the dominant cultural movement.  And that dominant movement is open white nationalism, "back the blue," rage and hate against the weakest and most vulnerable, and plain old racism.

See the APD assistant chief:

Specifically while advising President Obama landed in Austin AC Newsom stated “Negro one down”. When describing Council woman Ora Houston AC Newsom stated “She is a dumb n—– but a nice lady” •When talking about Chief Dixon AC Newsom stated “Frank is a n—– but he is our n—–” •When on a Special Response Team deployment AC Newsom called Officer LaMarcus Wells and Officer Kheston Campbell “Stupid f—— n——”. 

It's disingenuous to argue or even pretend that our current dominant climate isn't the functional equivalent of "finally, it's okay to say n------r again!"  And our law enforcement is indulging in that freedom.

So, this pickup truck guy is an example of social racism.  But he's also an example of how people -- including law enforcement -- are emboldened and willing to indulge in racism.

We're going backwards.  And we're celebrating it.  We're holding goddamned rallies celebrating it.

• Like 4

i'm spouting this from my ass but it may have started because she was driving slow in the left lane delaying brodozer dude. maybe his constant break checking her is hinting that she get in the right lane. he seemed a bit ragey. that would be a good reason to get ragey.

but the n word, yea it's just a sign of the times. people are emboldened by the political climate. which begs the question, are these newly turned racists or were previously closet racists who now revel in the freedom of "free speech" and acceptance.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

but the n word, yea it's just a sign of the times. people are emboldened by the political climate. which begs the question, are these newly turned racists or were previously closet racists who now revel in the freedom of "free speech" and acceptance.

I think it's almost entirely the second.  That's the really horrifying thing -- many of us fooled ourselves into believing that we were becoming a decent country, with very low levels of racism.  But once people were told "hey, it's okay if you're racist -- in fact, it's awesome!", well, they popped up and indulged in their new freedom.  Layer onto that the increased availability of video and other recordings of law enforcement....and yeah, we're finding out that we've got a shit-ton of racism here.  And the discouraging thing is that we're realizing that the BEST we can do is make it go relatively dormant, but it will always be there, ready to come out loudly when society gives it the green light again.

46 minutes ago, ajax said:

There are people living on the Bart trains. They ride from end of the line to end of the line, sleeping on the train. They have to piss and shit somewhere, might as well be out in the open.

As long as they don't eat anything!!! 

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think it's almost entirely the second.  That's the really horrifying thing -- many of us fooled ourselves into believing that we were becoming a decent country, with very low levels of racism.  But once people were told "hey, it's okay if you're racist -- in fact, it's awesome!", well, they popped up and indulged in their new freedom.  Layer onto that the increased availability of video and other recordings of law enforcement....and yeah, we're finding out that we've got a shit-ton of racism here.  And the discouraging thing is that we're realizing that the BEST we can do is make it go relatively dormant, but it will always be there, ready to come out loudly when society gives it the green light again.

I don't know. Some of the people turning up on these videos do not strike me a closet card carrying Nazi's. I'm not saying that there's not a shitton of full racist Nazi shitheads. I just think these videos are catching people at their worst. And when you are being filmed, most people double down on stupidity. When you are pissed, rational thought goes out the door. You want to inflict pain and damage. Short of physical violence, the easiest way to inflict pain is going for low hanging mindless insults. Insulting a person for the color of his skin and ethnicity is the easiest. No rational thought needed. Or at least this is what I tell myself to make me feel better about mankind.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

To lump this racist in with all the other garden variety assholes demeans the traumatic experience POC endure when being called the N word. There is no word that POC can use against a white man that wields the weight of the N word. What we've got here is a white man cashing out his racial and cultural capital. Hope it was worth it, because he spent it all in that one moment. Dude's gonna have to change his name.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

To lump this racist in with all the other garden variety assholes demeans the traumatic experience POC endure when being called the N word. There is no word that POC can use against a white man that wields the weight of the N word. What we've got here is a white man cashing out his racial and cultural capital. Hope it was worth it, because he spent it all in that one moment. Dude's gonna have to change his name.

Or, he'll set up a Gofundme and rake in $50,000 to make up for the losses the "out of control PC police have cost me!"

Probably a decent chance that the filming driver did something unintentionally stupid while driving that pissed the guy off. Lately I see people, in front of me, facetiming during stop and go traffic, all while letting others cut in front of them. You hear her argument of "I didn't do anything", which is probably true.  You didn't move when the light turned green, or you didn't signal when you cut me off,  etc.

But that doesn't excuse that guy one bit. Besides if you ever allow another driver to get you that upset, you have an anger issue. And now his anger and/or racist attitude could cost him public embarrassment if not real damage like losing a job.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Probably a decent chance that the filming driver did something unintentionally stupid while driving that pissed the guy off. Lately I see people, in front of me, facetiming during stop and go traffic, all while letting others cut in front of them. You hear her argument of "I didn't do anything", which is probably true.  You didn't move when the light turned green, or you didn't signal when you cut me off,  etc.

But that doesn't excuse that guy one bit. Besides if you ever allow another driver to get you that upset, you have an anger issue. And now his anger and/or racist attitude could cost him public embarrassment if not real damage like losing a job.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A good officer would walk over and inform the guy that food isn’t allowed on the platform. Ask him to please follow that law in the future and let him finish his sandwich. Most people want and are willing to follow rules but they may just be ignorant of them.

The cop is 100% wrong in this video but I would like to see the interaction before the video starts. I’m curious how the cop approached him and the initial comments. Sometimes there is slightly more to a story than the video shows. 

Onboard'd

Edited by irishtexan

Please. I can't believe the behavior of both people.  And I fully admit that I'm nosy in that I like to see the full story behind anything even if it has zero chance of changing my mind. Take the video in on the Lulz threads where a guy intentionally pins a guy between 2 cars. The video starts in the middle of the argument. I want see what happened before the video not that anything could justify attempted murder.

Unfortunately videos usually start after initial confrontations so we don't see the full context. 

And once again both guys in the videos on this page were 100% wrong. The cop should be fired. I'm not arguing against that. 

15 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

If it was the Popeyes sandwich he would have been in the clear. It’s crack. 

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

i'm spouting this from my ass but it may have started because she was driving slow in the left lane delaying brodozer dude. maybe his constant break checking her is hinting that she get in the right lane. he seemed a bit ragey. that would be a good reason to get ragey.

Is there the possibility of a third option, a non racist asshole who now feels emboldened to use the worst language he can think of in an instant of evaluation because he just wants to be hurtful?

or does that fold into the other options?

• Like 1

Hey, I get pissed off at distracted drivers, too.  Especially, when I'm on my motorcycle.  The race of the asshole drivers is all over the map.  Regardless, of how close they come to running me off the road, I've never pulled next to them and started yelling racial epithets.  

I don't care what she did, his response was pathetic and racist.  I imagine he's gotten his ass kicked a lot, in life. 

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Hey, I get pissed off at distracted drivers, too.  Especially, when I'm on my motorcycle.  The race of the asshole drivers is all over the map.  Regardless, of how close they come to running me off the road, I've never pulled next to them and started yelling racial epithets.  

I don't care what she did, his response was pathetic and racist.  I imagine he's gotten his ass kicked a lot, in life. 

But, have you said stupid woman driver ????  

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

But, have you said stupid woman driver ????  

I don’t think I’ve thought about the race or gender of the driver.  Admittedly when I can tell the person is really old or young, I may think of some stereotypes.  I nod my head knowingly when I see an Aggie sticker,  and cringe when it’s a longhorn sticker. 

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

While it's true that all drivers faster than you are assholes, and all drivers slower than you are dumb asses, it's woman who historically seem to get the call out for horrible drivers.

Faster/slower doesn't bother me.  Lane drifting, cutting across 3 lanes and running red lights/stop signs most definitely do.  I've yet to see any one race or gender own shitty driving. 

10 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Faster/slower doesn't bother me.  Lane drifting, cutting across 3 lanes and running red lights/stop signs most definitely do.  I've yet to see any one race or gender own shitty driving. 

Disagree, damn near every white luxury SUV driven by an middle aged woman in Houston is a threat to every other driver on the road 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Disagree, damn near every white luxury SUV driven by an middle aged woman in Houston is a threat to every other driver on the road 

Phone use is the biggest culprit.  But, again, I've yet to see any demographic or age group dominate the category.  People are self-absorbed assholes behind the wheel.  

On 11/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, crash_davis said:

I don't know. Some of the people turning up on these videos do not strike me a closet card carrying Nazi's. I'm not saying that there's not a shitton of full racist Nazi shitheads. I just think these videos are catching people at their worst. And when you are being filmed, most people double down on stupidity. When you are pissed, rational thought goes out the door. You want to inflict pain and damage. Short of physical violence, the easiest way to inflict pain is going for low hanging mindless insults. Insulting a person for the color of his skin and ethnicity is the easiest. No rational thought needed. Or at least this is what I tell myself to make me feel better about mankind.

Ten years ago or so your garden variety asshole wouldn't even think to yell the n-word for any reason. Then cloak room happened when one of "them" became president. Our current situation is a direct result of that. Maybe this guy isn't actually a racist, maybe he's just angry and used that word to be as hurtful as possible. I find it hard to believe that any garden variety asshole would use that word unless there is racism underlying their worldview. But even if there is something to your theory, the overall problem is that it has become acceptable to a large portion of this country to say things like that even for garden variety assholes. Again, ten years ago it wouldn't even cross a person's mind to do that just to hurt someone. Now it does. That's a huge fucking problem, and 60 million voters are cool with that and think you're a PC run-amok SJW if you find it problematic.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1