Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Do we really think a national chain restaurant like that would ask a family to move because they're black ?  This smells.  

It's not an illogical complaint. If you're siting at a table with the usual noise, and then a large group sits next to you, and it's a birthday party to boot, and its Kids yelling, and generally having loud fun, that should be moved to an area a little removed from other guests.  

There's nothing unreasonable about not wanting to be sitting next to a loud party of adults or kids.  That's what this sounds like, not I don't wanna sit next to black people.  Are there generally no black folks in that area?  Cause otherwise that guy would probably be complaining about that all the time.

I agree it’s hard to fathom a national chain doing something so blatant,  and concede bc of that it does smell fishy. I’ll wait to get more info but the noise complaint doesn’t fly. 

like others pointed out, these types of bars are meant to be loud. From the bar area to the seated area. If the dude didn’t like noise, a bbw at that time of night would be the last logical place to be. 

I was only there once but it was pretty white, far out suburban Chicago. Can’t say I saw more than a handful of minorities, even my cousin out there is rather fair skinned and definitely passes. 

8 hours ago, achooloco said:

I agree it’s hard to fathom a national chain doing something so blatant,  and concede bc of that it does smell fishy. I’ll wait to get more info but the noise complaint doesn’t fly. 

like others pointed out, these types of bars are meant to be loud. From the bar area to the seated area. If the dude didn’t like noise, a bbw at that time of night would be the last logical place to be. 

I was only there once but it was pretty white, far out suburban Chicago. Can’t say I saw more than a handful of minorities, even my cousin out there is rather fair skinned and definitely passes. 

Like I said, it's also a where do you live thing.  How white is your area.  I still say it may be loud, but a birthday party for kids is louder, and more than just noise.  It's BWW not Chuck E cheese.  I wouldn't ask them to move the party, I'd ask to be moved in most cases.

• Like 1

The BWW story has some gaps in it so hopefully more will come out about it. The party group are the only people speaking to the media so even they may not have the full story but BWW did fire the employee so they’re close if not spot on to it.

its very telling that even in 2019, we still have people that publicly request black people be moved to another part of a restaurant. Now perhaps the non-black customer didn’t expect the message to be fully relayed to the party but he felt it was socially acceptable to make the request. Unreal.

They were told this before they were even sat so not a noise complaint. Maybe anticipation of noise, but still, large parties are allowed, one “regular” doesn’t get to dictate who can sit where I’m in what size of group. Also, it’s been said, BWW is designed and advertises itself as a loud place.

Update is that the staff has been fired. So it’s probably true. People suck. 

• Like 1

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/nation-world/purdue-student-puerto-rico-immigration-status-questioned-cvs/269-a3f257fb-e0a4-479d-bf04-63dd7100183c

i guess you can't expect a cashier to understand US geography. 

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind — A Purdue University student says he was denied over-the-counter cold medication because of his Puerto Rican ID.

"She said she needed a U.S.-issued ID, Canada or Mexico license. That's when I tell her that was a U.S. issued license, and I didn't need anything else but that license," said Jose Guzman Payano, a junior engineering student.

41 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The BWW story has some gaps in it so hopefully more will come out about it. The party group are the only people speaking to the media so even they may not have the full story but BWW did fire the employee so they’re close if not spot on to it.

its very telling that even in 2019, we still have people that publicly request black people be moved to another part of a restaurant. Now perhaps the non-black customer didn’t expect the message to be fully relayed to the party but he felt it was socially acceptable to make the request. Unreal.

The employee being fired makes it look like it was racially motivated, or they're just covering their ass, trying to get out in front of it, and not look like Dennys 2.0

I'd echo your comments, how the fuck does that even happen today.  The balls you have to have to tell a family they have to move because of the color of their skin.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

The employee being fired makes it look like it was racially motivated, or they're just covering their ass, trying to get out in front of it, and not look like Dennys 2.0

I'd echo your comments, how the fuck does that even happen today.  The balls you have to have to tell a family they have to move because of the color of their skin.

this whole thread is about people being shitheads to people who look different than they do. people suck.

Firing the employee is the right move, but its not uncommon to find young service workers intimidated by older people/customers. Disclaimer: I have no idea if the wait staff person fired was young or not but since that person was also dumb even to tell the party why they were being asked to move, I assume that person was inexperienced.

BWW fired the person because they stated they have a zero tolerance policy about discrimination. They should also apply that policy to customers. Make any racist statements or requests, and you'll be presented with a bill and a to-go box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Firing the employee is the right move, but its not uncommon to find young service workers intimidated by older people/customers. Disclaimer: I have no idea if the wait staff person fired was young or not but since that person was also dumb even to tell the party why they were being asked to move, I assume that person was inexperienced.

BWW fired the person because they stated they have a zero tolerance policy about discrimination. They should also apply that policy to customers. Make any racist statements or requests, and you'll be presented with a bill and a to-go box.

That's the key.  BWW was presented with a choice.  It was an easy one.  "Sir, if you're not comfortable sitting near a black person, I need to inform you that our restaurant welcomes all people of all races.  So, because we can't and won't accommodate you, you need to leave.  I've covered your tab.  Please leave, and I strongly suggest you don't ever return."

• Like 3

I was surprised to see this coming from the Tribune, but then saw Naperville.  Which is the Florida of the Chicago Suburbs.  For all it’s political party monopolies, it remains by far and away America’s most segregated city.  Even among the white populations, even among the Suburbs.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I was surprised to see this coming from the Tribune, but then saw Naperville.  Which is the Florida of the Chicago Suburbs.  For all it’s political party monopolies, it remains by far and away America’s most segregated city.  Even among the white populations, even among the Suburbs.  

Segregation and racism in the north ??? !!!!!  NO WAI !!!!  I've been assured that shit only happens in the south.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well, you've farted out about 5 shitty posts justifying the actions of the company this whole thing as being totally acceptable because "kids" are loud. At a buffalo fucking wild wings.

So, my guess is, because people like you exist?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Well, you've farted out about 5 shitty posts justifying the actions of the company this whole thing as being totally acceptable because "kids" are loud. At a buffalo fucking wild wings.

So, my guess is, because people like you exist?

Yeah, Not wanting to sit next to a group of loud kids at a birthday party isn't being racist.  If you don't get the difference you're kind of a huge idiot.

And as it seems like it was racially motivated you post makes even less sense.  I'd be the father coming into a place saying hey were having a birthday party how about putting us away from everybody so we don't bother people if we or the kids get too loud.  

Manners fuck that shit, right ?  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, Not wanting to sit next to a group of loud kids at a birthday party isn't being racist.  If you don't get the difference you're kind of a huge idiot.

It's interesting that whenever one of these situations comes up, you have a consistent pattern of always bending over backward to defend the discriminating party or diminish the incidence of racism as some sort of obvious misunderstanding. Like how you assumed the black people who were asked to move tables because they were black, as was written in the article that you didn't bother to read before you immediately and passionately defended the actions of the restaurant. And you blame it on not wanting to sit next to a kids birthday party at fucking Buffalo Wild Wings, whose commercials are literally an advertisement for a giant party, on a Saturday night at 8:30pm.

But nah, you're not racist at all. Sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

It's interesting that whenever one of these situations comes up, you have a consistent pattern of always bending over backward to defend the discriminating party or diminish the incidence of racism as some sort of obvious misunderstanding. Like how you assumed the black people who were asked to move tables because they were black, as was written in the article that you didn't bother to read before you immediately and passionately defended the actions of the restaurant. And you blame it on not wanting to sit next to a kids birthday party at fucking Buffalo Wild Wings, whose commercials are literally an advertisement for a giant party, on a Saturday night at 8:30pm.

But nah, you're not racist at all. Sure.

Yeah no I don't.  And we've seen enough false calls of racism that I'm just skeptical of charges in a place like BWW.  Funny how my I can't believe there are still incidents like this could be mistaken for me defending BWW.

And that advertisement image of the scrumptious burger for any burger joint in America means that the burger you get will look exactly like that image..  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

41 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah no I don't.  And we've seen enough false calls of racism that I'm just skeptical of charges in a place like BWW.  Funny how my I can't believe there are still incidents like this could be mistaken for me defending BWW.

And that advertisement image of the scrumptious burger for any burger joint in America means that the burger you get will look exactly like that image..  

so, you do understand that actual racism is much more common than false calls of racism, right?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with not wanting to be near a party with kids, especially if its a birthday party for a kid.  The story is unclear about if it was a kid's bday party of not.  But when that situation occurs, the unhappy person is the person that needs to be moved. I don't blame kids for being kids. I blame the adults for letting kids run around restaurants like it was their house.

Everyone here agrees that the race aspect has zero acceptance and that customer should have been invited if not required to leave. 

BWW and every restaurant should teach their employees about what is and isn't acceptable by the customers. Customers are not always right. That motto is bs.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah not gonna play this game with you.   I don't need you trying to educate me about racism. I grew up in the 60's 70's in the south. I've seen it first hand.   

it's not really a game. it's fairly simple. you have this strange, unhinged belief that racism is gone. it's evident in your posts on the topic. i'm just pointing out to you that racism is still real, and there a many more instances of real, actual racism than there are of faked racism. 

but you hang your hat on the jussie smollets of the world. cling to that when faced with actual racism and ignore what is actually happening in the world around you, as displayed time and again in this very thread.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's not really a game. it's fairly simple. you have this strange, unhinged belief that racism is gone. it's evident in your posts on the topic. i'm just pointing out to you that racism is still real, and there a many more instances of real, actual racism than there are of faked racism. 

but you hang your hat on the jussie smollets of the world. cling to that when faced with actual racism and ignore what is actually happening in the world around you, as displayed time and again in this very thread.

Gosh thank you sir.....  you've shown me the errors of my ways, too bad what you posted is not even close to the reality.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is it really , though? If you're following anything going on around us these days, it's not surprising to me at all. But the details would raise an immediate accusation of "cloak room" which is supposedly a mortal sin around here.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That's the key.  BWW was presented with a choice.  It was an easy one.  "Sir, if you're not comfortable sitting near a black person, I need to inform you that our restaurant welcomes all people of all races.  So, because we can't and won't accommodate you, you need to leave.  I've covered your tab.  Please leave, and I strongly suggest you don't ever return."

That wouldn't work. They'd have an army of guys in khakis and tiki torches protesting outside about "reverse racism." A bunch of radio stations would support them, and at least one national "news" outlet. Because something, something, something, cloak room. 

The only thing you can really do there is tell him that we cannot honor that request. Maybe he would just leave on his own.

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Is it really , though? If you're following anything going on around us these days, it's not surprising to me at all. But the details would raise an immediate accusation of "cloak room" which is supposedly a mortal sin around here.

That wouldn't work. They'd have an army of guys in khakis and tiki torches protesting outside about "reverse racism." A bunch of radio stations would support them, and at least one national "news" outlet. Because something, something, something, cloak room. 

The only thing you can really do there is tell him that we cannot honor that request. Maybe he would just leave on his own.

2019 twist: it should be store policy for managers to record all such interactions (in states where it's legal).  Just have your phone on audio record, and ask "I understand you want to have that table moved -- why is that?"  And when he says something about their race, you politely grant his request to be located away from them by asking him to leave.  When he raises a stink and gets his tiki torch gang, you release the audio.

I'm all for racist-shaming, outing, and doxing, when it's unambiguous and it's their own words.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Those tiki torch guys are behind every blade of grass these days.

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And we've seen enough false calls of racism that I'm just skeptical of charges in a place like BWW.

I mean, a Hispanic dude literally had acid thrown on him by a racist, and a nutjob was arrested by the FBI for plotting to blow up a synagogue. And that all happened just today. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, Helobious said:

No sympathy for the snowflake racist customer, no sympathy for the black family. BWW is trash in every sense of the word, anyone eating there deserves to have their day ruined. 

This. I once saw a server get into a fight with a customer there. I declared BWW the Wal Mart of sports bars, and I have never again returned to one. 

You should at lest add what the costumes were if you are going to drop this into the story...

“Police observed a group of teens in the vicinity and when they approached the group, the group fled and discarded a wooden baseball bat, a knife and backpacks which were recovered by police,” McCrorie said, without specifying whether the blade was illegal or not. “Several males were stopped.”

In a large group of teens, how did they conclude these were the owners?  Or were they the only kids they caught so good enough?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

45 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Eating while black?

Good protest

https://abc7news.com/society/protesters-hold-luncheon-inside-bart-after-man-detained-for-eating-on-platform/5686666/

On Saturday, some gathered to protest the incident by eating their own sandwiches on BART property.

"I've got my lunch here, it's very threatening as you can see," said JJ Naughton from San Francisco.

There was a defiant lunchtime eat-in on the platform inside the Embarcardero BART station, where eating isn't allowed.

About 30 people gathered for lunch to protest an incident recently captured on cellphone video at the Pleasant Hill BART Station.

Law or not, Kelly Groth was passing out breakfast sandwiches in the station Saturday for what she called brunch on BART.

"People should be able to eat on the platform without getting harassed," said Groth.

"I wanted to make sure I showed up and ate on the plaza which I've done hundreds of times before to show what they did to us was embarrassing for BART Police," said John Jacobo from San Francisco.

BART Board of Directors member Janice Li was also here and brought her own lunch. Li believes there are bigger issues to deal with.

"I realize some things are illegal with our penal code, but I want to be mindful of how we're using resources to enforce our system," said Li.