Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

1) I wonder how this dude would react to me walking my dog. I rarely leash my dog.  I also don't let her run around.  She's more "on-leash" without one than most dogs are with one.  I do carry a slip-leash when I'm out of the neighborhood.  Never encoutered a Karen, but if people say or look like they have a dog-phobia I'll slip it on.

2) WTF, lady?

Edited by JBJ

16 hours ago, trauma babe said:
21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:
Yeah, well, FUCK Christian Cooper.  Wanna know why?  Because he's a goddamned Harvard alumnus New Yorker.  And nearly 20 years ago, I had a Harvard alumnus witness suggest we meet at the Harvard Club before his deposition.  It was dropping cold wet snow as I ducked in to the lobby to wait for him.  Dipshit snob at the desk asks if I'm a member -- no, but I'm meeting a member here in a minute.  "I'm sorry sir, you need to wait outside."  But....it's wet snow outside.  "Yes, you need to wait outside."  I did.  And when my client showed up, I told him "fuck this, we're going to that coffee shop over there."  So, fuck the Harvard Club, and fuck their snooty-ass NYC alumni.
I mean, other than that, Cooper seems like a good enough dude, and I dig birds, and really hate racist white chicks trying to get him killed.  But I swear to God if he brings up the goddamned Harvard Club, I will let him have it.

I was kicked out of the Harvard Club as a teenager while having dinner with my parents and some family friends that went to their divinity school because I wasn't wearing nice enough shoes.

Dress Code

Appropriate dress is required throughout the Club for Members and their guests.

CASUAL ATTIRE, including jeans in good repair, is permitted everywhere in the Club except on weekdays after 5:00 PM in the Main Dining Room and Harvard Hall when BUSINESS CASUAL is required. BUSINESS CASUAL includes no jeans and collared shirts for men (jackets and ties are not required) and the equivalent standard for women.

On weekends, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, Bermuda shorts are permitted on the Rooftop.

NOT PERMITTED: Gym clothes, t-shirts, sweats, torn clothing, leggings, shorts, and beach attire are not permitted anywhere in the Club, except when a person is going directly to overnight rooms or athletic floors. Hats are not permitted, except for religious purposes and medical reasons.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

She didn't bust out that little stream of consciousness on the phone out of nowhere.

if you think people that have Black friends wouldn't do what she did, you have a bad understanding of how this works

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

What’s in the water in Minneapolis?  Can't even hit the gym without having to prove you belong?

A venture capitialist in Minneapolis is being accused of racially profiling a group of black men at a WeWork office space, after video of the incident began circulating online on Wednesday. A man, who has since been identifed as Tom Austin, can be seen asking the men if they are also tenants of the building, which has a shared private gym space the men had previously used. When the men don't tell him what floor their rented office space is on, which they have rented for over a year, Austin calls the police.

"As we were working out this man approached and immediately asked us who we were and if 'WE BELONG' in this building," the three men's company, Top Figure, wrote on Instagram alongside videos of the situation. "Granted in order to enter the building you NEED a key card to enter EVERY part of the building which EACH of our team members individually have. We all pay rent here and this man demanded that we show him our key cards or he will call the cops on us. We are sick and tired of tolerating this type of behavior on a day to day basis and we feel that we had to bring light onto this situation," they explained further.

It was a fucking WeWork shared space.  Not even owned by the dude's company.

But wait, is there more?

Why yes, there is more!  Local community decided to rename a lake, that was named after a slaveholder, using a Native American name instead.  Tom Austin didn't like that one bit.

http://www.citypages.com/news/venture-capitalist-and-his-lake-calhoun-neighbors-unimpressed-by-native-americans/454492023

Tom Austin continues:

These people raised a good question: What exactly have the Dakota Indians done that is a positive contribution to all Minnesotans? What is the heroism or accomplishment that we are recognizing in order to justify renaming the lake to Bde Maka Ska? Unfortunately, nobody had any answers.

Fortunately, I also met eight people who specifically supported the name Bde Maka Ska. This was an interesting group. With the exception of one person, they were angry at the "white establishment" and felt that we Minnesotans need to atone for history's wrongdoings. Ironically, none of them was able to provide specifics of what exactly we needed to atone for, other than "Calhoun was racist and we stole all of this land from the Indians."

Keep in mind they weren't taking anybody's land or anything, they were just renaming a lake a local name, changing it from being named after somebody from South Carolina who probably never visited Minnesota.  Somebody who sent surveyors to Minnesota to help take land from the Indians.  Said surveyors named it after him.   

According to Austin's well-curated Linkedin page, he possesses an "uncanny ability to 'ask the right questions at the right time.'" 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, naija said:

if you think people that have Black friends wouldn't do what she did, you have a bad understanding of how this works

Oh, I've seen some shitty behavior in action, but she just doesn't strike me as the type to have friends who don't look like her, and that was a pretty fucking vicious thing she did.  Incredibly vicious.

LOL

Austin told Newsweek in an email that he "f***ed up" and "should have handled it differently," but insisted the incident had nothing to do with race.

"They got in my face in a very threatening manner and I threatened back to call [building] security. I would have done this regardless of race. So this is bullsh**," he said.

He confronted them = "They got in my face in a very threatening manner and threatened to call building security".  I guess 911 is a direct line to building security?

• Like 1

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

https://www.startribune.com/mpls-venture-capitalist-loses-office-lease-after-viral-video-accuses-him-of-racial-profiling/570809082/

A Minneapolis venture capitalist’s office lease has been terminated after a video went viral showing him asking a group of black entrepreneurs if they were tenants of the building and thus allowed to use its gym.

In the video posted Tuesday night, Tom Austin, who is white, said he was going to call 911 on the group. (He ended up calling the building’s property manager instead.)

On Wednesday afternoon, Austin said he messed up. He had an office at the Mozaic East building in Uptown for his company, F2 Group. The office building is owned by the Ackerberg Group.

“Should have handled it differently,” he said in an e-mail. “Not my job to have done anything.”

Stuart Ackerberg, CEO of Ackerberg Group, which owns the Mozaic East building, said he was already feeling heartbroken upon seeing the Floyd video when he saw the video of the confrontation at the gym in his own building.

“My heart hurts,” he said. “This is not how we do business. … I’m alarmed by what I saw.”

He said that two WeWork members had used their key fobs to access the gym on Tuesday night. And he assumes the other people in the Top Figure group also were employees.

“It appears they had every right to be there and to use that amenity,” he said.

Ackerberg said he spoke to Austin on Wednesday and expressed his dismay.

“I shared with him that I did not think it was handled well and there are other ways to go about this,” he said. “It’s unfortunate. Our goal is to create a safe and inviting experience for everybody.”

Austin said he and the other men continued to work out after the confrontation.

“By the end of the night, we were on talking terms,” he said. “I said, ‘I’m sorry you thought I was being racist, but I was not. If you were a bunch of women, I would have done the same thing.’ ”

So he would have called 911 if they were women?

If a tenant thinks that someone else isn't a tenant, or they're unsure, then the right move is to reach out to building security or mgmt. I know some think people should mind their own business and not worry about what other people are doing but that's bs.

But with that being said, as a white guy, I ain't calling anyone out unless that person is white. Not worth losing my job over a misunderstanding. 

Clearly, striking up polite conversation and introducing yourself is a bridge too far for these fuckers.
Also, for these same fuckers, their belief that the unknown black person or people is up to no good without a shred of proof trumps any “fear” they have of them because they immediately confront them. Geez. Then once busted say they are not racists. 

On 5/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, JBJ said:

1) I wonder how this dude would react to me walking my dog. I rarely leash my dog.  I also don't let her run around.  She's more "on-leash" without one than most dogs are with one.  I do carry a slip-leash when I'm out of the neighborhood.  Never encoutered a Karen, but if people say or look like they have a dog-phobia I'll slip it on.

2) WTF, lady?

1) probably the same thing. Almost all nyc parks are off leash before 9am and only w/in an hour of sunset (wish austin would do this) but even in Central and Prospect parks there are clearly marked off areas that say dogs are never allowed off leash in there. People aren't even all that welcome in those same parts where there is thick brush, etc cause the birds nest there or whatnot. The parks are definitely big enough that dog owners should leave those areas alone or leash up while they traverse said areas on the way to other parts of the park. I'm an asshole and love my pup but no reason to put out bad karma in the world whenever I happen to be in those clearly delineated sections. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Clearly, striking up polite conversation and introducing yourself is a bridge too far for these fuckers.

This. It’s just not that hard. Sometimes you get rebuffed but most of the time you meet someone nice enough.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If a tenant thinks that someone else isn't a tenant, or they're unsure, then the right move is to reach out to building security or mgmt. I know some think people should mind their own business and not worry about what other people are doing but that's bs.

But with that being said, as a white guy, I ain't calling anyone out unless that person is white. Not worth losing my job over a misunderstanding. 

Yeah but what are the reasons to suspect someone isn't a tenant?  Even if you're a regular the list of people with access to the gym would be constantly changing and you aren't privy to that list regardless, so you can't be calling security because you have never seen this person before.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This. It’s just not that hard. Sometimes you get rebuffed but most of the time you meet someone nice enough.

Would you strike up a conversation with a white guy or girl if you didn't know them ?  Not sure that's the answer. Hey how ya doing, who are you, and why are you here ?  I'd say you could get push back, and rightly so by anyone regardless of race or sex.  

My typical reaction to passing people on the street in my work area is a nod, and hey how ya doIng, and that's it.  I get the same response back about 80-90% of the time.  I guess these folks are all assuming the worst case.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Would you strike up a conversation with a white guy or girl if you didn't know them ?  Not sure that's the answer. Hey how ya doing, who are you, and why are you here ?  I'd say you could get push back, and rightly so by anyone regardless of race or sex.  

My typical reaction to passing people on the street in my work area is a nod, and hey how ya doIng, and that's it.  I get the same response back about 80-90% of the time.  I guess these folks are all assuming the worst case.

A polite "hey, haven't seen you down here before -- I usually have the spin cycles all to myself.  You new to the building?"  If yes, then "cool, you just get hired or you with one of the new tenants -- I saw a software shop just moved in on 19."  And if it's anything like that, you can chitchat about what y'all do, "I'm a lawyer on 12 -- been using this gym for a coupla years now -- watch out for the treadmills, they're tricky."  He can tell you about the cool games they design.  You have a 3 minute convo.  And if he instead gives you every indication that he shouldn't be there, then when you leave, you tell security that you talked to a guy in the gym who didn't sound like he worked in the building, y'all might want to keep an eye out on things.  If, of course, your questions didn't make him uncomfortable enough to bail (if he is indeed a trespasser).  Small talk is easy, and pleasant.  Shit, you might even meet a nice guy who can be a workout buddy and keep you honest.

When people start engagements from a position of hostility, then a hostile engagement is what they're going to have.

My office building has a gym.  Everyone I've ever introduced myself to has offered up where they work.  It's just what you do because it's an office gym.  For this specific scenario getting that information would be insanely easy.  Still I have no clue why anyone would suspect someone shouldn't be there though.  Like anyone has a clue if one of the other companies hired someone new.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A polite "hey, haven't seen you down here before -- I usually have the spin cycles all to myself.  You new to the building?"  If yes, then "cool, you just get hired or you with one of the new tenants -- I saw a software shop just moved in on 19."  And if it's anything like that, you can chitchat about what y'all do, "I'm a lawyer on 12 -- been using this gym for a coupla years now -- watch out for the treadmills, they're tricky."  He can tell you about the cool games they design.  You have a 3 minute convo.  And if he instead gives you every indication that he shouldn't be there, then when you leave, you tell security that you talked to a guy in the gym who didn't sound like he worked in the building, y'all might want to keep an eye out on things.  If, of course, your questions didn't make him uncomfortable enough to bail (if he is indeed a trespasser).  Small talk is easy, and pleasant.  Shit, you might even meet a nice guy who can be a workout buddy and keep you honest.

When people start engagements from a position of hostility, then a hostile engagement is what they're going to have.

In a situation like that sure, I'm doing about the same thing, but a random person at/in the lobby of a building or outside on the street at the building entrance, maybe not.

• Like 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

In a situation like that sure, I'm doing about the same thing, but a random person at/in the lobby of a building or outside on the street at the building entrance, maybe not.

Outside on the street is exactly where random people that don't belong in the building belong.  Why in the hell would you be hassling them?

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Outside on the street is exactly where random people that don't belong in the building belong.  Why in the hell would you be hassling them?

I'm not hassling them (I ain't got time for that shit, I got places to be), I'm just going to acknowledge a person Im walking past, to be polite.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Would you strike up a conversation with a white guy or girl if you didn't know them ?

If they’re in a workout room designated for a complex of retailers/lessees then yes. It’s a small group of individuals and I would like to know who else is doing business near me. Networking type stuff.

Random person at Gold’s gym then no.

Plus I probably will take the extra step to say something friendly but not SJW creepy to a black guy so this middle aged white guy can hopefully break down a possible perceived barrier. Hope I’m not wrong with that but it’s gotta suck pretty bad to walk around wondering if the dude standing near you has already judged you because the color of your skin.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I'm trying to think back over myriad office buildings I've worked in over the years...I'd say at least 3 had gyms.  All those hours way back when, it never once even occurred to me to ask somebody about their ability to be in there.  Not because I'm a color-blind United Colors of Benetton Saint but because I simply don't give a shit.  

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Username fits...

On 5/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, JBJ said:

2) WTF, lady?

I am sure your dog is the best dog in the world and acts "on-leash" without one. I am also sure that 80% of dog owners would say the same thing. If you were walking around with your dog without in a leash in an area that was explicitly marked that dogs should be leashed, you'd be a dick. In this situation I imagine he would approach you in the same way.

Now if you were just walking in your neighborhood, I doubt he would react the same way. I doubt he woke up that day thinking "I am going to cause a shit-storm at the first person I see walking a dog without a leash". 

• Like 2

There’s a guy that walks his dog through my neighborhood every morning off the lease because of course his dog is the most well behaved dog in the world. Except for that one time I was taking the garbage out and left my front door open for a minute. Fucking dog decided it would be a good idea to take a morning run all through my house. So put a fucking leash on your dog if you’re in a public place that’s not a dog park or your a douche bag and should be called out as a douche bag

• Like 4

My dogs are leashed unless it's somewhere they are allowed to be unleashed, and even then, they have to be responsive to voice commands. If they cant be trusted with that, they stay on the fucking leash. I have a Husky mix with a high prey drive and a desire to run for days. She is never not on a leash with a harness.

Get control of your shit.

45 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

There’s a guy that walks his dog through my neighborhood every morning off the lease because of course his dog is the most well behaved dog in the world. Except for that one time I was taking the garbage out and left my front door open for a minute. Fucking dog decided it would be a good idea to take a morning run all through my house. So put a fucking leash on your dog if you’re in a public place that’s not a dog park or your a douche bag and should be called out as a douche bag

You should have slammed the door shut and screamed “I GOT ME A FREE DOG MOTHERFUCKER, WE ARE GOING TO EAT WELL TONIGHT,” and if he starts to approach your house, say “I’ve got two words for you, ,castle doctrine”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

NippyImpishFruitbat-size_restricted.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 2