Running thread of white people calling cops on people of color for everyday stuff...

Pancho

30 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Lil update on the black kid who had the police called while mowing yards....

Click the link, scroll half way down and watch the video from Oakland. This stuff is nuts at this point. Also, the automatic implication that it is racism every time is a little much as well. There are times when it is just wacko people being wacko. 

Passive aggressive? Can’t be. White people are racist against blacks as evidenced by the examples in this thread that are mostly sourced from agenda leaning publications/tweets that highlight one aspect of the full story. (Even Jews and light-skinned Latinos are white now) Especially cops, who apparently have no reason to be more on guard when dealing with a black suspect despite being at least 8X more likely to be shot during the encounter. The facts on racial breakdowns of crime are in themselves racist.
I spoke my mind earlier in the thread. I am apparently part of the racism problem in this country for pointing out the hypocrisy. It doesn’t matter that I agree that blacks have a right to be angry and will fight against a racist incident vehemently. Excusing a white person’s behavior in any way, while suggesting that the race card isn’t applicable in every situation to describe the encounter, is forbidden from my privileged position. The thought that “asshole doesn’t have an exclusive skin tone” doesn’t exist here.

As usual you are full of shit. Read the first two posts you put on this thread. Fighting against racist incidents vehemently my ass. The OP posted about cops being called because of Black people being in places they presumably should not be. I assure you those aren’t Black neighborhoods. Your first post is some question about being safe in Black neighborhoods. Not to mention you’ve demonstrated repeatedly that your default is to opine about Black criminality even when it has no bearing on several threads you’ll find your way into. It seems an impossible feat for you to just say “gosh, that kid shouldn’t have had to deal with the police for just x, y, z” without some convoluted attempt to explain how crime rates in general should be the personal onus and burden of any and every Black person just standing somewhere. Trying to position yourself as some neutral, logical observer applying reason and deduction is a farcical exercise if ever there was one.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, naija said:

As usual you are full of shit. Read the first two posts you put on this thread. Fighting against racist incidents vehemently my ass. The OP posted about cops being called because of Black people being in places they presumably should not be. I assure you those aren’t Black neighborhoods. Your first post is some question about being safe in Black neighborhoods. Not to mention you’ve demonstrated repeatedly that your default is to opine about Black criminality even when it has no bearing on several threads you’ll find your way into. It seems an impossible feat for you to just say “gosh, that kid shouldn’t have had to deal with the police for just x, y, z” without some convoluted attempt to explain how crime rates in general should be the personal onus and burden of any and every Black person just standing somewhere. Trying to position yourself as some neutral, logical observer applying reason and deduction is a farcical exercise if ever there was one.

You are correct. I was referring to this thread where my debate occurred:

Although, you seemed to gloss over additional posts I made in this thread...

I’m not a neutral observer nor have I claimed to be. Why is black criminality a non-sequitor in these discussions? Do you not think that has a bearing on black people’s dealings with the police? I’ll reciprocate to you. It seems impossible to say “Geez, that cop/person is an aggressive asshole” instead of “Racist, let’s get him!” for every news story that involves a black person perceiving injustice from a white person. The only farcical thing is this thread, which Pancho says is to highlight incidents of racism for those that think it’s not a real thing, which I have yet to see a claim made on that, and sharks smelling blood in the water every time some says “Well...”. It would be equally ridiculous to start a thread highlighting crimes in the black community to prove some convoluted counterpoint. Every white guy on here has met asshole white cops in their lifetimes. (I personally have had to lay on the ground with a gun drawn until the cop sorted out the details) I’m not sure why the implication of wrongdoing is strictly based on one’s skin color. There’s plenty of videos of this out there as examples, including SJW exercising their rights. I personally don’t feel the need to get out my camera phone to document when people of any race disrespect me.

The irony is that you are victimizing the mentality towards the black community while simultaneously painting the white community in blanket racism. The idea that there’s institutional racism embedded in society is utterly ridiculous. If you show me an instance of racism, let’s fight it together...but after ALL of the facts are presented. Otherwise, kindly STFU. 

Edited by Spankytoes

You are right. I was referring to this thread where my debate occurred:
I’m not a neutral observer nor have I claimed to be. Why is black criminality a non-sequitor in these discussions? Do you not think that has a bearing on black people’s dealings with the police? I’ll reciprocate to you. It seems impossible to say “Geez, that cop/person is an aggressive asshole” instead of “Racist, let’s get him!” for every news story that involves a black person perceiving injustice from a white person. The only farcical thing is this thread, which Pancho says is to highlight incidents of racism for those that think it’s not a real thing, which I have yet to see a claim made on that, and sharks smelling blood in the water every time some says “Well...”. It would be equally ridiculous to start a thread highlighting crimes in the black community to prove some convoluted counterpoint. Every white guy on here has met asshole white cops in their lifetimes. (I personally have had to lay on the ground with a gun drawn until the cop sorted out the details) I’m not sure why the implication of wrongdoing is strictly based on one’s skin color. There’s plenty of videos of this out there as examples, including SJW exercising their rights. I personally don’t feel the need to get out my camera phone to document when people of any race disrespect me.
The irony is that you are victimizing the mentality towards the black community while simultaneously painting the white community in blanket racism. The idea that there’s institutional racism embedded in society is utterly ridiculous. If you show me an instance of racism, let’s fight it together...but after ALL of the facts are presented. Otherwise, kindly STFU. 

Citing this:

“The idea that there’s institutional racism embedded in society is utterly ridiculous.”

Because wow.
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Citing this:

“The idea that there’s institutional racism embedded in society is utterly ridiculous.”

Because wow.

Well, “Wow” is about all there is. Unless you can point me to a credible study/stats/research that indicates otherwise, albeit, that takes us down another rabbit hole of interpreting the data to fit both our arguments. Racism is individual, not institutionalized. There’s nothing in the white handbook stating otherwise that I’ve seen. 

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

38 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Well, “Wow” is about all there is. Unless you can point me to a credible study/stats/research that indicates otherwise, albeit, that takes us down another rabbit hole of interpreting the data to fit both our arguments. Racism is individual, not institutionalized. There’s nothing in the white handbook stating otherwise that I’ve seen. 

Wow. And this is why you are part of the problem. Or maybe you mean something different by institutionalized racism than pretty much everyone else. Here is an example, mandatory minimums on crack vs coke: a form of institutionalized racism where essentially the same offense is worse when involving a product whose users are predominantly black. 

• Like 1

If you don't believe Congress are a collection of idiots passing legislation based on "feelings" and shit, read the history of the crack sentencing disparity.

https://www.aclu.org/other/cracks-system-20-years-unjust-federal-crack-cocaine-law

A miscarriage of justice on so many levels, one of the most basic being a federal criminal law in the first place.

20 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Internet comes after Larry, so Larry nuts up an apologizes.  Gotta give my props to ol Larry.  

I hate my Mexican neighbor's music, not because they are Mexican, but because it goes until 4 in the morning and sucks. I'm white, so I guess that makes me a racist.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Didn’t watch the video but if you have an axe to grind against people just because they are black and choose to live in Oakland......

Maybe she had an axe to grind with someone breaking some law in her opinion, they just happened to be black. Not every multiple race interaction is about the race.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Racism is individual, not institutional. 

What a stupid ass thing to write. 

Institutions are made up of individuals dumbass. Or are you just trolling? 

8 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

This one is pretty good:

http://www.kmov.com/story/38586364/apartment-manager-fired-after-calling-police-on-man-wearing-socks-in-pool

Hide contents

(Meredith/WATN/CNN) - The manager at an apartment complex in Memphis was fired after she called the police on a tenant wearing socks in the community pool.

Camry Porter said she and her boyfriend were at the pool for less than 10 minutes when the manager approached them. The manager told Porter’s boyfriend to take off his socks and then asked the couple to leave when he didn’t comply.

Moments later, Porter said the manager left the pool area and called 911.

When a police officer eventually arrived at the apartment complex, Porter said the manager claimed the couple was "disturbing the peace."

"I pay rent like everyone else. I have never had any issues with a sock until today. Mind you we are the only black people out here and as soon as we walked up, she had something to say," Porter said in a video she posted to Facebook.

The Memphis native claimed the manager did not seem to have a clear explanation for what was proper pool attire.

"She said no hats, no shirts, no socks. We have two men who are her friends sitting here in two hats,” Porter said in her video. "Nothing was done to them. But as soon as we walk into the area, being the only black family, we're the only people you addressed at the time. That made me feel like it was racially motivated.”

"You can't treat people like that in this day and age. It's not right," she continued.

Porter's Facebook post has been shared more than 8,000 times. By Thursday afternoon, the corporate office for Riverset Apartments reached out to Porter and said the manager no longer worked there.

“After assessing statements from Ms. Porter and determining that this former employee’s actions violate our company’s policies and beliefs, she is no longer employed by Riverset Apartments,” the company said in a Facebook post.

Maybe he was wearing only a sock and the dude was intimidated?

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Racism is individual, not institutional. 

What a stupid ass thing to write. 

Institutions are made up of individuals dumbass. Or are you just trolling? 

I have no doubt that this sounded great in your head before you posted it. And for that reason, you get a sticker for your efforts. Not the scratch and sniff kind though. Those are for the regular students.

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

There have been a lot of studies proving institutional racism. 

Guessing spanky is going full Tahoe and will be justifying pedophiles next 

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I have no doubt that this sounded great in your head before you posted it. And for that reason, you get a sticker for your efforts. Not the scratch and sniff kind though. Those are for the regular students.

I have no doubt you thought this post was clever both before and after you posted it. Maybe you even made yourself chuckle a little bit. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I have no doubt you thought this post was clever both before and after you posted it. Maybe you even made yourself chuckle a little bit. 

Well, you are right about that. You do realize the difference though, don’t you? An individual can be racist but society as a whole doesn’t allow for it. In the 1950’s, a completely different conversation. Don’t believe me? Try yelling the N-word in the street and see if it’s onky the black guys that beat the shit out of you.

2 hours ago, Washpark said:

There have been a lot of studies proving institutional racism. 

Guessing spanky is going full Tahoe and will be justifying pedophiles next 

Great. Post one and let’s look at it. Not an article interpreting the data to further the writer’s assertion. Post the study. We don’t need a degree in sociology to interpret the findings. We’ve already had the crack vs. cocaine theory which is BS since a white guy busted with crack will face the same consequences as a black guy by law. By that logic, federal embezzling laws are targeted towards whites since they make up the majority of Fortune 500 CEOs. 

And you guessed wrong.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Great. Post one and let’s look at it. Not an article interpreting the data to further an article. Post the study. We’ve already had the crack vs. cocaine theory which is BS since a white guy busted with crack will face the same consequences as a black guy by law. By that logic, federal embezzling laws are targeted towards whites since they make up the majority of Fortune 500 CEOs. 

Why on earth would someone waste their time discussing a study with the likes of you? 

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

If you don't believe Congress are a collection of idiots passing legislation based on "feelings" and shit, read the history of the crack sentencing disparity.

https://www.aclu.org/other/cracks-system-20-years-unjust-federal-crack-cocaine-law

A miscarriage of justice on so many levels, one of the most basic being a federal criminal law in the first place.

If I posted a story by Rush Limbaugh countering the ACLU’s assertion, would you accept it? I don’t listen to that assclown, and don’t even know his stance on the issue, but the ACLU clearly has a bias on their data interpretation. 

4 hours ago, Deej said:

I hate my Mexican neighbor's music, not because they are Mexican, but because it goes until 4 in the morning and sucks. I'm white, so I guess that makes me a racist.

Okay. 

Not sure what your point is here, but props?

6 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

So correct me if I’m wrong about what you’re trying to do. 

You want someone to post a peer reviewed journal article showing institutional racism exists and/or has been proven and until said article is posted you will continue to believe that it doesn’t exists based on your personal belief? In which you yourself have done no research/study on your own to prove that or doesn’t exist?

please if I’m wrong let me know. 

16 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Okay. 

Not sure what your point is here, but props?

I think he's saying that if you think racism is everywhere, you will see racism even when it doesn't exist.  Sometimes one guy shouting down another guy would have happened no matter what color either of them are.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

So correct me if I’m wrong about what you’re trying to do. 

You want someone to post a peer reviewed journal article showing institutional racism exists and/or has been proven and until said article is posted you will continue to believe that it doesn’t exists based on your personal belief? In which you yourself have done no research/study on your own to prove that or doesn’t exist?

please if I’m wrong let me know. 

Gladly. You’re wrong.

As stated, post the study, not the article. Articles are commonly written with a slanted interpretation of the data to fit the author’s viewpoint. A lot like 99% of the sensationalist headline tweets that get you riled up enough to post here.

Then answer me this question: Would it be socially acceptable for me, a white guy, to yell “Nigger!” on a crowded street in 2018? Let me rephrase that: In a crowded street of white people? 

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Gladly. You’re wrong.

As stated, post the study, not the article. Articles are commonly written with a slanted interpretation of the data to fit the author’s viewpoint. A lot like 99% of the sensationalist headline tweets that get you riled up enough to post here.

Then answer me this question: Would it be socially acceptable for me, a white guy, to yell “Nigger!” on a crowded street in 2018? Let me rephrase that: In a crowded street of white people? 

I don’t get riled up.  That’s hilarious that you think I do.  

I post them as an Informative. Not sure why that bothers you (and others).  

18 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I don’t get riled up.  That’s hilarious that you think I do.  

I post them as an Informative. Not sure why that bothers you (and others).  

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe because when people cry wolf all the time the villagers will eventually get tired of running with their pitchforks? When they see that it may not be racism but simply an incident involving a person of color they start to become apathetic?

I’m 100% with you on sniffing out racism. But, you kind of make it a sport where you are constantly changing the rules to gain an advantage rather than a social cause. That’s why you won’t answer the question, even though we both know what the answer is. You don’t know “white people” anymore than I can claim to know “black people” and what’s good for “them”. I’m telling you, as a white guy that does not represent all white people, that you’re completely off the mark based on my 39.5 years of data.

Edited by Spankytoes

I didn’t answer your question because my thoughts have nothing to do with anything.  You can yell what you want.  That’s apparent in the year 2018.  If you want to yell nigger on a crowded street, that is your life.  God bless.  

Socially acceptable?  Of course not.  Would anyone do anything to you or say anything to you?  Probably not, unless you yelled this on East Kiest Blvd in Souf Oak Cliff.

I’m not sure what rule I’m constantly changing as I’ve never stated a “rule.” 

Edited by Pancho Negro

55 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I didn’t answer your question because my thoughts have nothing to do with anything.  You can yell what you want.  That’s apparent in the year 2018.  If you want to yell nigger on a crowded street, that is your life.  God bless.  

Socially acceptable?  Of course not.  Would anyone do anything to you or say anything to you?  Probably not, unless you yelled this on East Kiest Blvd in Souf Oak Cliff.

I’m not sure what rule I’m constantly changing as I’ve never stated a “rule.” 

Finally, we agree on something. It is NOT socially acceptable. (I cringe typing it, much less saying it) How then can you claim institutional racism? If it exists, no one would even bat an eye because it would be accepted, if not expected. (Especially in company of “our own”) If the same question was posed in the 1950’s, would you agree that the answer would be different? We have laws protecting one’s right to be a racist prick and yet it’s still a faux pas in today’s society. No one wants to be labeled a racist, even if it’s accurate, because racism is evil. That’s why true racism is whispered after making sure the coast is clear first. We even have laws protecting those racist pricks from committing violence or denying employment based on their ignorance. We used to have laws encouraging such behavior, which thereby institutionalized racism in society. If we couldn’t pinch you for those, there was always reckless eyeballing and a rope.

I’m in no way suggesting that it’s perfect. But to claim that white people have an inherent bias against black people is completely incorrect. I have friends that harbor their own prejudices against black people. They know better than to pull that shit with me. (Or homophobia, for that matter) That doesn’t mean that I’m going to hang my head in shame the same way that you aren’t responsible for issues with other black people. It’s only news because the situation is an outlier from the social norm. However, most situations get completely convoluted because people need something to offend them and justify their feelings.

The “rule” is what constitues racism. This definition is constantly broadening to fit your ire because someone wants website clicks or to sell periodicals. Perhaps it’s a sensitivity issue that I couldn’t possibly understand? I make room for that possibility. I’d still buy you a beer.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Wow. And this is why you are part of the problem. Or maybe you mean something different by institutionalized racism than pretty much everyone else. Here is an example, mandatory minimums on crack vs coke: a form of institutionalized racism where essentially the same offense is worse when involving a product whose users are predominantly black. 

And yet weed has less severe laws and is even legalized in some States/cities despite being classified as a drug.

What are the laws against heroin possession, a drug more commonly used by white people than black? Or X? Or meth? These are all relatively newer drugs of choice. Show me the disparity targeting black people.

Edited by Spankytoes

11 hours ago, Deej said:

No it doesn’t, but does make you a bit of a idoit for posting it here. Go post that in the “my neighbors play music too damn late” thread. Because late night shitty music is not at all mentioned in the link or article (that I saw, could be wrong though). It’s pretty clear that the fact it WAS playing at all on the 4th is why it made an appearance on this thread. Or were you just trolling and didn’t understand that?

6 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Finally, we agree on something. It is NOT socially acceptable. (I cringe typing it, much less saying it) How then can you claim institutional racism? If it exists, no one would even bat an eye because it would be accepted, if not expected. (Especially in company of “our own”) If the same question was posed in the 1950’s, would you agree that the answer would be different? We have laws protecting one’s right to be a racist prick and yet it’s still a faux pas in today’s society. No one wants to be labeled a racist, even if it’s accurate, because racism is evil. That’s why true racism is whispered after making sure the coast is clear first. We even have laws protecting those racist pricks from committing violence or denying employment based on their ignorance. We used to have laws encouraging such behavior, which thereby institutionalized racism in society. If we couldn’t pinch you for those, there was always reckless eyeballing and a rope.

I’m in no way suggesting that it’s perfect. But to claim that white people have an inherent bias against black people is completely incorrect. I have friends that harbor their own prejudices against black people. They know better than to pull that shit with me. (Or homophobia, for that matter) That doesn’t mean that I’m going to hang my head in shame the same way that you aren’t responsible for issues with other black people. It’s only news because the situation is an outlier from the social norm. However, most situations get completely convoluted because people need something to offend them and justify their feelings.

The “rule” is what constitues racism. This definition is constantly broadening to fit your ire because someone wants website clicks or to sell periodicals. Perhaps it’s a sensitivity issue that I couldn’t possibly understand? I make room for that possibility. I’d still buy you a beer.

Racism is not as socially acceptable as it was 40 or 50 years ago, however it is still a big problem in our society. It doesn't need to be plainly malicious before it can be called racist. Just because the KKK is not running around terrorizing and lynching people with impunity does not mean that these people don't take their personal bias and bigotry to work or other social spheres because they do, and we see all kinds of studies supporting that. No one wants to be labeled a racist, you're right about that, even racists don't want to be called racist after openly saying/doing racist shit. 

This country enslaved blacks for 250 years, instituted Jim Crow for another 100 years, we've only had a little over 50 years of equal protection under Federal law. The law can change how we are treated in the public sphere but it cannot undo 350 years of social conditioning which has affected whites and blacks alike whether we are aware of it or not.  All of the racists didn't drop dead once the 1964 Civil Rights Act passed or had a change of heart a la Care Bears style. A lot of those Alt-right/Neo-Nazis in Charlottesville were young, 20s-30s, and people like that are becoming bolder in their ignorance. 

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

No it doesn’t, but does make you a bit of a idoit for posting it here. Go post that in the “my neighbors play music too damn late” thread. Because late night shitty music is not at all mentioned in the link or article (that I saw, could be wrong though). It’s pretty clear that the fact it WAS playing at all on the 4th is why it made an appearance on this thread. Or were you just trolling and didn’t understand that?

You’re an idiot if you don’t see his point. Some of these interactions are just interactions between people, color not withstanding. However, now race is being brought into more interactions whether it’s the base of the issue or not. If he says something to his neighbors, is it going to be viewed through the prism of race or just you suck as a neighbor?

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

You’re an idiot if you don’t see his point. Some of these interactions are just interactions between people, color not withstanding. However, now race is being brought into more interactions whether it’s the base of the issue or not. If he says something to his neighbors, is it going to be viewed through the prism of race or just you suck as a neighbor?

Sure, some interactions are just interactions but he quoted a situation that CLEARLY was about race/ethnicity what have you. I’d guess a ton of interactions happen all the time throughout the country where people are just assholes to each other or there are misunderstandings and shit happens and we never hear about them. No one is going to call him a racist for complaining about 4am music, that shit happens a shitload. And to post it in a thread where innocent people are getting called cops on them only bc of their skin color comes off as whining. 

30 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Sure, some interactions are just interactions but he quoted a situation that CLEARLY was about race/ethnicity what have you. I’d guess a ton of interactions happen all the time throughout the country where people are just assholes to each other or there are misunderstandings and shit happens and we never hear about them. No one is going to call him a racist for complaining about 4am music, that shit happens a shitload. And to post it in a thread where innocent people are getting called cops on them only bc of their skin color comes off as whining. 

You and I may not, but his neighbor may. The point is it has brought it back into the thought process just as ORC stated in the post right above yours.

Edited by Brew

5 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Finally, we agree on something. It is NOT socially acceptable. (I cringe typing it, mich less saying it) How then can you claim institutional racism? If it exists, no one would even bat an eye because it would be accepted, if not expected. If the same question was posed in the 1950’s, would you agree that the answer would be different? We have laws protected one’s right to be a racist prick and yet it’s still a faux pas.

I’m in no way suggesting that it’s perfect. But to claim that white people have an inherent bias against black people is completely incorrect. I have friends that harbor their own prejudices against black people. They know better than to pull that shit with me. (Or homophobia, for that matter)

The “rule” is what is considered racist. This is constantly broadening to fit your ire.

The problem Spanx is I’ve never said this thread is for racists acts.  This thread was to show you there’s been an increase in white people calling the popo on people of color for everyday acts.  No where did I say “hey look at how racist white people are!” And some people have taken it like that. 

I know all white people aren’t racist. Hell, the 80 year old white lady neighbor to my parents (who remembers me being in middle school and still gives me a hug every time I go home) is all the proof I need.  I’ve never created a rule on what’s racist and what isn’t.  I’ve only created a thread to highlight what’s happening in America to people of color as they live their lives to highlight this for those who may not realize what’s happening because they are busy living their lives. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

Can't believe people are falling for this game. Just watch, wait and see. They'll finally get the white folks to stop calling the cops every time they turn around and BAM! Your riding lawnmower is gone! Long game is long, folks. 

But the Lawn jockeys are safe ?  Right ??  Right ??!

12 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

And yet weed has less severe laws and is even legalized in some States/cities despite being classified as a drug.

What are the laws against heroin possession, a drug more commonly used by white people than black? Or X? Or meth? These are all relatively newer drugs of choice. Show me the disparity targeting black people.

Things have been improving, but we aren't there yet. You see a stat showing that a higher percentage of blacks are imprisoned in this country than any other race and your thought is: but blacks commit more crimes. The fact that you don't see a problem with that is disturbing to me. The fact that you don't see a connection between poverty and crime, and poverty and 200 years of our country actively attempting to oppress blacks is even more disturbing. 

It seems to me that you are reacting to those that see racism in every interaction. Yes, there are people that overreact to any perceived slight. Just as you overreact to what your perceive as slight: white people being called racist. But, and this is absolutely true, racism does in fact exist. And, it is more pervasive than you think. Not all of it is transparent, in fact much of it is hidden or subconscious.

For instance, I know I am slightly less comfortable around a large number of black folks or when passing by a group at night. I dislike these feelings and actively try and stop them, but they are ingrained to a large extent. I suspect movies and shows like Cops are at least part of the cause. My point being, I have never had a negative interaction (to contrary my best childhood friend was black), and yet I still have these feelings. That strongly suggests to me that our society subtly reinforces negative perceptions. That to me is institutionalized racism. It isn't intentional. But it is pervasive and influential. Maybe you are immune, but given your posts in this thread I suspect you are simply unaware of the cumulative effect it has had on you. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Great. Post one and let’s look at it. Not an article interpreting the data to further the writer’s assertion. Post the study. We don’t need a degree in sociology to interpret the findings. We’ve already had the crack vs. cocaine theory which is BS since a white guy busted with crack will face the same consequences as a black guy by law. By that logic, federal embezzling laws are targeted towards whites since they make up the majority of Fortune 500 CEOs. 

And you guessed wrong.

Here is a classic one from 2003 that has been replicated dozens of times since then. When you put a black sounding name on a job application, loan application, etc, you are much less likely to get a response than a "white" name even when the qualifications are identical.

The author's summary:

Employers' Replies to Racial Names

"Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback."

A job applicant with a name that sounds like it might belong to an African-American - say, Lakisha Washington or Jamal Jones - can find it harder to get a job. Despite laws against discrimination, affirmative action, a degree of employer enlightenment, and the desire by some businesses to enhance profits by hiring those most qualified regardless of race, African-Americans are twice as likely as whites to be unemployed and they earn nearly 25 percent less when they are employed.

Now a "field experiment" by NBER Faculty Research Fellows Marianne Bertrand and Sendhil Mullainathan measures this discrimination in a novel way. In response to help-wanted ads in Chicago and Boston newspapers, they sent resumes with either African-American- or white-sounding names and then measured the number of callbacks each resume received for interviews. Thus, they experimentally manipulated perception of race via the name on the resume. Half of the applicants were assigned African-American names that are "remarkably common" in the black population, the other half white sounding names, such as Emily Walsh or Greg Baker.

To see how the credentials of job applicants affect discrimination, the authors varied the quality of the resumes they used in response to a given ad. Higher quality applicants were given a little more labor market experience on average and fewer holes in their employment history. They were also portrayed as more likely to have an email address, to have completed some certification degree, to possess foreign language skills, or to have been awarded some honors.

In total, the authors responded to more than 1,300 employment ads in the sales, administrative support, clerical, and customer services job categories, sending out nearly 5,000 resumes. The ads covered a large spectrum of job quality, from cashier work at retail establishments and clerical work in a mailroom to office and sales management positions.

The results indicate large racial differences in callback rates to a phone line with a voice mailbox attached and a message recorded by someone of the appropriate race and gender. Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback. This would suggest either employer prejudice or employer perception that race signals lower productivity.

The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note in Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination (NBER Working Paper No. 9873). It indicates that a white name yields as many more callbacks as an additional eight years of experience. Race, the authors add, also affects the reward to having a better resume. Whites with higher quality resumes received 30 percent more callbacks than whites with lower quality resumes. But the positive impact of a better resume for those with Africa-American names was much smaller.

"While one may have expected that improved credentials may alleviate employers' fear that African-American applicants are deficient in some unobservable skills, this is not the case in our data," the authors write. "Discrimination therefore appears to bite twice, making it harder not only for African-Americans to find a job but also to improve their employability."

From a policy standpoint, this aspect of the findings suggests that training programs alone may not be enough to alleviate the barriers raised by discrimination, the authors write. "If African-Americans recognize how employers reward their skills, they may be rationally more reluctant than whites to even participate in these programs."

The experiment, conducted between July 2001 and January 2002, reveals several other aspects of discrimination. If the fictitious resume indicates that the applicant lives in a wealthier, or more educated, or more-white neighborhood, the callback rate rises. Interestingly, this effect does not differ by race. Indeed, if ghettos and bad neighborhoods are particularly stigmatizing for African-Americans, one might have expected them to be helped more than whites by having a "good" address.

Further, discrimination levels are statistically uniform across all the occupation and industry categories covered in the experiment. Federal contractors, sometimes regarded as more severely constrained by affirmative action laws, do not discriminate less. Neither do larger employers, or employers who explicitly state that they are "Equal Opportunity Employer" in their ads.

Another finding is that employers located in more African-American neighborhoods in Chicago are slightly less likely to discriminate. There is also little evidence that social background of applicants - suggested by the names used on resumes - drives the extent of discrimination.

The advantage of their study, the authors note, is that it relies on resumes, not actual people applying for jobs, to test discrimination. A race is randomly assigned to each resume. Any differences in response are due solely to the race manipulation and not to other characteristics of a real person. Also, the study has a large sample size, compared to tests of discrimination with real applicants.

One weakness of the study is that it simply measures callbacks for interviews, not whether an applicant gets the job and what the wage for a successful applicant would be. So the results cannot be translated into hiring rates or earnings. Another problem of the study is that newspaper ads represent only one channel for job search.

Here is the study: http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873.pdf

There seems to be a segment of older, white people for whom the only thing that counts as racism is yelling the N-word. And if society frowns on yelling the N-word then society can't possibly be racist.

Things like discrimination in getting jobs, getting credit, and customer service don't count. Being more likely to be arrested for the same behavior as whites doesn't count. Harsher sentences for the same crime doesn't count. Getting the cops called on you for hanging out at the pool certainly doesn't count.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

The problem Spanx is I’ve never said this thread is for racists acts.  This thread was to show you there’s been an increase in white people calling the popo on people of color for everyday acts.  No where did I say “hey look at how racist white people are!” And some people have taken it like that. 

I know all white people aren’t racist. Hell, the 80 year old white lady neighbor to my parents (who remembers me being in middle school and still gives me a hug every time I go home) is all the proof I need.  I’ve never created a rule on what’s racist and what isn’t.  I’ve only created a thread to highlight what’s happening in America to people of color as they live their lives to highlight this for those who may not realize what’s happening because they are busy living their lives. 

Fair enough, though the thread title kinda of contradicts your argument a bit. (I.E. Running thread of WHITE PEOPLE calling cops on people of COLOR for everyday stuff) That seems to suggest, or at the very least imply, racism as a root cause. So do the retweets you’ve posted that have nothing to do with cops or white people calling them but may or may not be a racist act committed by a white person against a person of color. (I admit, this is a blind assertion as I may be lumping your posts with others that have done so and haven’t gone back to fact-check myself) And perhaps I’m projecting my own biases on you as I feel that white people get blamed unfairly for all of the world’s problems. We may not see eye to eye, but I do respect your viewpoint. You at least keep things on a civil level, which is more than I can say for some. Obviously, it’s a sensitive issue for completely different reasons. Having said that, I don’t think that I’m alone in my interpretation of your intent. It comes across as stirring the pot more than an educational lesson. Especially the tweets, where the assertion doesn’t really hold water and are in fact tweeted to rally against the Caucasian persuasion. Maybe it’s not the number of issues that have increased but the ability to propagandize them is more widespread? Perhaps so.

Guest Lobo

Mandatory drug sentencing laws as a way to keep blacks from holding proper jobs and voting is finally crumbling to an end.  Even the damn TPPF has taken it on as a passionate directive, so you know traditional Republicans even realize the rouse is up...

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, FWD said:

There seems to be a segment of older, white people for whom the only thing that counts as racism is yelling the N-word. And if society frowns on yelling the N-word then society can't possibly be racist.

Things like discrimination in getting jobs, getting credit, and customer service don't count. Being more likely to be arrested for the same behavior as whites doesn't count. Harsher sentences for the same crime doesn't count. Getting the cops called on you for hanging out at the pool certainly doesn't count.

I don’t know that I agree with your assessment. I’m not quite 40 yet, so I wouldn’t classify myself as “old”. But, there are blatant acts of racism that occur everyday where white people are the culprits. I’m not denying that in any way. However, I think people can misrepresent data in a myriad of ways to fit their argument. If you look at education, how do blacks stack up percentage-wise against whites? The more educated you are, typically, the more ROI you will see. What are the average credit ratings down racial lines and how does that impact a bank’s decision, which is further parsed into individual cases? Are black people with a 720+ credit score getting turned down en mass from obtaining a loan? Customer service sways towards criminal statistics, so I’ll leave that one alone. Of course it’s not fair that black people that just want to spend their hard earned $ have to feel targeted for what others do. I think it’s ridiculous that I have to pay for the privilege of not taking my shoes off at the airport.

People keep beating the “whites get away with the same thing” drum. What are we basing this assertion on, besides that’s the way you feel or you read it on the internet and accept it as true? You have a burden of proof to present that white kids would not have the cops called on them for trespassing on private property. Saying “because I said so” isn’t a compelling argument. Maybe those incidents don’t make the front page of Reddit.

Edited by Spankytoes

I don’t know that I agree with your assessment. I’m not quite 40 yet, so I wouldn’t classify myself as “old”. But, there are blatant acts of racism that occur everyday where white people are the culprits. I’m not denying that in any way. However, I think people can misrepresent data in a myriad of ways to fit their argument. If you look at education, how do blacks stack up percentage-wise against whites? The more educated you are, typically, the more ROI you will see. What are the average credit ratings down racial lines and how does that impact a bank’s decision, which is further parsed into individual cases? Are black people with a 720+ credit score getting turned down en mass from obtaining a loan? Customer service sways towards criminal statistics, so I’ll leave that one alone. Of course it’s not fair that black people that just want to spend their hard earned $ have to feel targeted for what others do. I think it’s ridiculous that I have to pay for the privilege of not taking my shoes off at the airport. People keep beating the “whites get away with the same thing” drum. What are we basing this assertion on, besides that’s the way you feel or you read it on the internet and accept it as true? You have a burden of proof to present that white kids would not have the cops called on them for trespassing on private property.

So....you want a double-blind peer-reviewed study where 1000 folks commit a certain act, and 1000 black folks commit the exact same act, and we examine the rate of 1) police calls, and 2) arrests, to see if there any bias?

Seriously?

Your bar is a study that can’t even ethically be conducted?

Do you really think that if we did such a study, it wouldn’t reflect a higher rate of calls and arrests for black people? Again...wow.

13 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I don’t know that I agree with your assessment. I’m not quite 40 yet, so I wouldn’t classify myself as “old”. But, there are blatant acts of racism that occur everyday where white people are the culprits. I’m not denying that in any way. However, I think people can misrepresent data in a myriad of ways to fit their argument. If you look at education, how do blacks stack up percentage-wise against whites? The more educated you are, typically, the more ROI you will see. What are the average credit ratings down racial lines and how does that impact a bank’s decision, which is further parsed into individual cases? Are black people with a 720+ credit score getting turned down en mass from obtaining a loan? Customer service sways towards criminal statistics, so I’ll leave that one alone. Of course it’s not fair that black people that just want to spend their hard earned $ have to feel targeted for what others do. I think it’s ridiculous that I have to pay for the privilege of not taking my shoes off at the airport.

People keep beating the “whites get away with the same thing” drum. What are we basing this assertion on, besides that’s the way you feel or you read it on the internet and accept it as true? You have a burden of proof to present that white kids would not have the cops called on them for trespassing on private property.

If you look at my post, there is one of many studies in it where they controlled for things like education and credit score. Please go back and read the study before commenting.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

So....you want a double-blind peer-reviewed study where 1000 folks commit a certain act, and 1000 black folks commit the exact same out, and we examine the rate of 1) police calls, and 2) arrests, to see if there any bias?

Seriously?

Your bar is a study that can’t even ethically be conducted?

Do you really think that if we did such a study, it wouldn’t reflect a higher rate of calls and arrests for black people? Again...wow.

No. The fact that it cannot be done is exactly my point. You cannot control the environment. Race can certainly be a contributing factor. So can age, weight, gender, mannerisms of attendees, neighborhood, attitude of tenants, noise level, time of day/day of week, capacity, economic status, etc. No pun intended, but it’s not so black and white. Bitchy neighbor is gonna bitch and trespassing is against the law.