White Lotus - HBO

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyable. Tons of plot holes. My only thought on Paula walking free was the Mossbauchers knew Paula was involved but are forgiving people and let it slide since she was obviously taking it hard. And maybe for that reason they didn’t press charges on Kai. I don’t know, they just can’t be that dumb.

Paula definitely sucked

Enjoyable. Tons of plot holes. My only thought on Paula walking free was the Mossbauchers knew Paula was involved but are forgiving people and let it slide since she was obviously taking it hard. And maybe for that reason they didn’t press charges on Kai. I don’t know, they just can’t be that dumb.

Paula definitely sucked

The plotholes are because we’re used to logic and being spoonfed. Entitled tourists committing crimes and flying back home is a time-honored tradition in the US. No CR, but thousands of people videotaped themselves storming the capital and bashing policemen, left the premises, ate at Olive Garden, then flew back home. Still, most of those assholes are at-large.

You want another episode when Paula is in an extradition hearing back in the States? Sorry, I don’t see plotholes. I see open endings, completely in line with this oddball series. I’m good with these 6 episodes without the need to wrap things neatly together.
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 5:09 PM, Red Five said:

The actor who played Shane gave an interview where he said his theory is that Shane called in a favor to have it go away. So, privilege.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/15/arts/television/jake-lacy-says-aloha-to-the-white-lotus.html

Spoiler

This interview includes spoilers for Sunday’s season finale of “The White Lotus.”

Before Jake Lacy landed in Hawaii to shoot “The White Lotus,” he had only received the first script of what was at the time a six-episode limited series. (HBO recently renewed it for a second season.) He knew a character had died — a cardboard coffin of human remains was loaded onto a plane. But who was it?

“Mike White [the show’s creator, writer and director] was like, ‘All these limited series start with a body,’” Lacy said. “So there’s an element of narrative satire along with the social satire. It’s like, If a dead body is what you want, then we’ll start with a dead body. We’re making fun of the device that is part of this very popular narrative format.”

“The White Lotus” doesn’t deal with its opening mystery right away, and only gives us a few clues at first. Before a backward time jump to a week’s events at a Hawaiian luxury resort called the White Lotus, we see that Lacy’s character, Shane, seems disturbed both by the dead body and by a friendly question put to him regarding the whereabouts of his wife Rachel (played by Alexandra Daddario). Hmmm.

“I kept asking myself, ‘When do I kill my wife?’” Lacy said. He assumed he was the killer, and she would be his victim. From the character’s perspective, the couple’s honeymoon had gone off the rails the minute they failed to get the prized Pineapple Suite they booked, and the hotel manager Armond (Murray Bartlett) put them in the Palm Suite (no plunge pool, but a nicer view) instead. Things soured further thanks to Shane’s temper tantrums and Armond’s odd responses to them.

“Either one could back down,” Lacy said, “but they both keep upping the ante.”

The actor recalls reaching the last pages of the final script — the scene in which Armond slips into Shane’s room to leave a parting gift in his suitcase — and pumping his fists with glee. “I was like, ‘Oh, this is it!’ How did I not see this coming four episodes ago? I can’t believe we’re going to have a guy defecate in my suitcase and then I murder him!”

During a phone conversation, Lacy, who was in Vermont, discussed the series’s social satire, male Karens and Season 2 possibilities. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

• Did you know you can share 10 gift articles a month, even with nonsubscribers?
Share this article.

HBO just announced a renewal of “The White Lotus” for a second season, to focus on a new location, new staff and new guests.

This is the first I’m hearing of it! I’m thrilled. I hope I get to have Shane in the background at the pool, complaining about his daiquiri.

You think he would go back to a White Lotus resort? He wouldn’t rather avoid the chain entirely?

I don’t think shame or embarrassment are in his wheelhouse. He might be haunted by what happened and make up some excuse why he’s not going back, but it would be out of paranoia. I think he assumes people are whispering, “That’s the guy who killed the guy.” The more brazen Shane move is to play the victim: “I should be able to stay at any one of these places for free, anywhere in the world, for the rest of my life, because of what they put me through! I should have sued them for this!” That might actually be his mentality, to think he’s got the short end of the stick as a multimillionaire 30-year-old. He doesn’t know he’s the villain, not the victim.

Shane appears to escape all accountability and just walk away from the death he caused. On the other hand, Kai (Kekoa Kekumano) will likely be severely punished for stealing the Mossbachers’ jewelry.

I think that’s intentional. In this “White Lotus”-reality, here’s how one class of person is treated by the criminal justice system and here’s how someone with access, money and privilege is treated. Yes, you would normally be told, “Don’t leave the island,” or “Don’t leave the state.” But Shane’s dad probably called in a favor — a senator? a judge? That’s how at times a certain level of this world operates. Kai will be a felon, but Shane will not have to serve any time — and Shane will still paint himself as a victim, because he might become a social pariah. He might not be invited to summer parties in the Hamptons because of this.

How replicable do you think the show’s concept is as it continues as an anthology series? How many oblivious rich people can we take?

If Mike White didn’t have more to offer at this same level, he would go do something else. But you could do something more like “Upstairs, Downstairs,” with the second season being more about the service end of things.

People have been talking about how the show is about entitlement, but Mike says it’s more about how money corrupts the dynamics of every relationship, whether it’s a business relationship, a friendship or a marriage. Tanya [Jennifer Coolidge] unfairly dangles this hope to Belinda [Natasha Rothwell] of having her own spa, and it’s messed up how quickly she snatches that hope away. But you also see how Belinda changes in the face of this opportunity. Nobody’s free from it, except maybe Quinn [Fred Hechinger] and the guys in the outrigger canoe, because none of them are making money from the ocean. There is a certain equality in that relationship.

The story also seems to be about complicity. When Rachel joins Shane at the airport, she is essentially accepting his objectionable qualities in exchange for the benefits he provides. But since she spent the night in another hotel room, do you think she knew that Shane killed Armond?

Oh, man! I always assumed that she knew, but maybe she just heard through the hotel, “Oh, somebody killed somebody.” Or maybe Shane’s mother Kitty [Molly Shannon] called her and told her. But it would be a wonderful scene to show her finding out after they get on the plane. He’d be like, “I killed that guy,” and she’d be like, “What are you talking about?! Oh no, no, no, no! I thought you were just rude to waiters!”

But yeah, she’s giving Shane a get-out-of-jail-free card with her decision to stay. It’s just short of being in abusive relationship. The conclusion she’s come to is that having money is better than not having money in a capitalist society, but that’s not a healthy choice. You want to see her follow her heart, but that’s not what happens here. She makes a pretty pragmatic choice as to what she wants her life to be. Maybe she regrets it later. Maybe she walks away. But for the moment, she is settling, essentially, and the cost is the loss of some sense of self.

One of the things Shane and Rachel fight about is having sex on their honeymoon. Isn’t that when you’re supposed to have the most sex of your life?

Some of what we shot didn’t make it in. We had one scene where Shane wanted to have sex, and Rachel wasn’t quite saying no, but she wasn’t in the mood. It’s not assault, but they took it out because it ended up looking far more aggressive than what they had intended. The purpose of the story wasn’t meant to be that Shane sexually assaulted his partner as much as he was not reading when she was in the mood or not.

Some of those references about how sexed up he is maybe made more sense with those kinds of pieces in there. I think there is a multitude of things happening under that, too. She’s saying, “My concern is that is all you want from me.” She’s not saying, “This is too much sex.”

If it were a white woman trying to get Armond fired, we’d have a name for her: Karen. I don’t know if we have a male equivalent of that name, but here it seems like “Shane” might work.

I hope it does! The Karen thing is like, “I won’t stand for this,” as if they’re taking the side of justice. And Shane’s thing is, “Don’t make me make this ugly.” There is this aggression there, like, “I won’t be treated this way!” It’s the same in Shane as it is in a Karen.

At the same time, Armond gave him the wrong room. I mean, these rooms cost $26,000 a night. It’s as if you bought a car, and they were like, “Oh, we just know this is the one you wanted,” and you’re like, “This is definitely not the car I paid for.” He booked a room, and he feels they should give him that room. Even if his behavior is increasingly inappropriate, and the way he treats people is terrible, what he wants seems pretty fair: “I want what I paid for.” Not that that excuses his behavior. In a perfect world, he would chill out and let it go.

Who do you think was the worst?

I feel like people are going to say Shane, but that’s my guy! I still have a little empathy for him. I feel like most of these characters are pretty unpalatable. In actions alone, Shane is the worst, for sure. No one else kills a guy. But Paula [Brittany O’Grady], as honest and progressive as she claims to be, is an accomplice to a felony, and when the rubber meets the road, she gets back on a plane. She doesn’t say anything. And Rachel will put up with Shane if it means she gets the nice dinners.

To me, a lot of the show is saying is, “How clean are you? How innocent are you? How free of guilt are you?” Whether it’s the opportunities you’ve had that others haven’t, or your privilege, or money, or the way you look, or the color of your skin — if you’re in a transactional world, how clean are you?

The hope is that all this gets reflected back to the audience: “You probably do some of the same things, don’t you? On some level?” Whether it’s at the Four Seasons, the carwash, in line at McDonald’s or at Starbucks, how much expectation do you have for what the world owes you and how you deserve to be treated?

That is the part of the show that most intrigues me. It’s less about who’s worse, and more about who’s kidding themselves the most.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2021 at 8:31 AM, hornian said:

But, as my wife pointed out, she also helped the Mossbacher's rekindle their romance after the husband tackled Kai and then got his face smashed by him.

Funny cause Mrs. Mossbacher was just complaining, in the previous scene, on how she's the perpetual punching bag of the family.  Then Steve Zahn ends up the literal punching bag.

Reminds me of my parents. My dad cheated so is painted the villain, but what drove him to that?  Maybe my mom was a total immasculating, manipulative, pretentious turd.

Then the bracelets get stolen and Zahn's the hero, but the bracelets were also present as a constant reminder to the affair. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/15/arts/television/jake-lacy-says-aloha-to-the-white-lotus.html

Spoiler

This interview includes spoilers for Sunday’s season finale of “The White Lotus.”

Before Jake Lacy landed in Hawaii to shoot “The White Lotus,” he had only received the first script of what was at the time a six-episode limited series. (HBO recently renewed it for a second season.) He knew a character had died — a cardboard coffin of human remains was loaded onto a plane. But who was it?

“Mike White [the show’s creator, writer and director] was like, ‘All these limited series start with a body,’” Lacy said. “So there’s an element of narrative satire along with the social satire. It’s like, If a dead body is what you want, then we’ll start with a dead body. We’re making fun of the device that is part of this very popular narrative format.”

“The White Lotus” doesn’t deal with its opening mystery right away, and only gives us a few clues at first. Before a backward time jump to a week’s events at a Hawaiian luxury resort called the White Lotus, we see that Lacy’s character, Shane, seems disturbed both by the dead body and by a friendly question put to him regarding the whereabouts of his wife Rachel (played by Alexandra Daddario). Hmmm.

“I kept asking myself, ‘When do I kill my wife?’” Lacy said. He assumed he was the killer, and she would be his victim. From the character’s perspective, the couple’s honeymoon had gone off the rails the minute they failed to get the prized Pineapple Suite they booked, and the hotel manager Armond (Murray Bartlett) put them in the Palm Suite (no plunge pool, but a nicer view) instead. Things soured further thanks to Shane’s temper tantrums and Armond’s odd responses to them.

“Either one could back down,” Lacy said, “but they both keep upping the ante.”

The actor recalls reaching the last pages of the final script — the scene in which Armond slips into Shane’s room to leave a parting gift in his suitcase — and pumping his fists with glee. “I was like, ‘Oh, this is it!’ How did I not see this coming four episodes ago? I can’t believe we’re going to have a guy defecate in my suitcase and then I murder him!”

During a phone conversation, Lacy, who was in Vermont, discussed the series’s social satire, male Karens and Season 2 possibilities. These are edited excerpts from the conversation.

• Did you know you can share 10 gift articles a month, even with nonsubscribers?
Share this article.  

HBO just announced a renewal of “The White Lotus” for a second season, to focus on a new location, new staff and new guests.

This is the first I’m hearing of it! I’m thrilled. I hope I get to have Shane in the background at the pool, complaining about his daiquiri.

You think he would go back to a White Lotus resort? He wouldn’t rather avoid the chain entirely?

I don’t think shame or embarrassment are in his wheelhouse. He might be haunted by what happened and make up some excuse why he’s not going back, but it would be out of paranoia. I think he assumes people are whispering, “That’s the guy who killed the guy.” The more brazen Shane move is to play the victim: “I should be able to stay at any one of these places for free, anywhere in the world, for the rest of my life, because of what they put me through! I should have sued them for this!” That might actually be his mentality, to think he’s got the short end of the stick as a multimillionaire 30-year-old. He doesn’t know he’s the villain, not the victim.

Shane appears to escape all accountability and just walk away from the death he caused. On the other hand, Kai (Kekoa Kekumano) will likely be severely punished for stealing the Mossbachers’ jewelry.

I think that’s intentional. In this “White Lotus”-reality, here’s how one class of person is treated by the criminal justice system and here’s how someone with access, money and privilege is treated. Yes, you would normally be told, “Don’t leave the island,” or “Don’t leave the state.” But Shane’s dad probably called in a favor — a senator? a judge? That’s how at times a certain level of this world operates. Kai will be a felon, but Shane will not have to serve any time — and Shane will still paint himself as a victim, because he might become a social pariah. He might not be invited to summer parties in the Hamptons because of this.

How replicable do you think the show’s concept is as it continues as an anthology series? How many oblivious rich people can we take?

If Mike White didn’t have more to offer at this same level, he would go do something else. But you could do something more like “Upstairs, Downstairs,” with the second season being more about the service end of things.

People have been talking about how the show is about entitlement, but Mike says it’s more about how money corrupts the dynamics of every relationship, whether it’s a business relationship, a friendship or a marriage. Tanya [Jennifer Coolidge] unfairly dangles this hope to Belinda [Natasha Rothwell] of having her own spa, and it’s messed up how quickly she snatches that hope away. But you also see how Belinda changes in the face of this opportunity. Nobody’s free from it, except maybe Quinn [Fred Hechinger] and the guys in the outrigger canoe, because none of them are making money from the ocean. There is a certain equality in that relationship.

The story also seems to be about complicity. When Rachel joins Shane at the airport, she is essentially accepting his objectionable qualities in exchange for the benefits he provides. But since she spent the night in another hotel room, do you think she knew that Shane killed Armond?

Oh, man! I always assumed that she knew, but maybe she just heard through the hotel, “Oh, somebody killed somebody.” Or maybe Shane’s mother Kitty [Molly Shannon] called her and told her. But it would be a wonderful scene to show her finding out after they get on the plane. He’d be like, “I killed that guy,” and she’d be like, “What are you talking about?! Oh no, no, no, no! I thought you were just rude to waiters!”

But yeah, she’s giving Shane a get-out-of-jail-free card with her decision to stay. It’s just short of being in abusive relationship. The conclusion she’s come to is that having money is better than not having money in a capitalist society, but that’s not a healthy choice. You want to see her follow her heart, but that’s not what happens here. She makes a pretty pragmatic choice as to what she wants her life to be. Maybe she regrets it later. Maybe she walks away. But for the moment, she is settling, essentially, and the cost is the loss of some sense of self.

One of the things Shane and Rachel fight about is having sex on their honeymoon. Isn’t that when you’re supposed to have the most sex of your life?

Some of what we shot didn’t make it in. We had one scene where Shane wanted to have sex, and Rachel wasn’t quite saying no, but she wasn’t in the mood. It’s not assault, but they took it out because it ended up looking far more aggressive than what they had intended. The purpose of the story wasn’t meant to be that Shane sexually assaulted his partner as much as he was not reading when she was in the mood or not.

Some of those references about how sexed up he is maybe made more sense with those kinds of pieces in there. I think there is a multitude of things happening under that, too. She’s saying, “My concern is that is all you want from me.” She’s not saying, “This is too much sex.”

If it were a white woman trying to get Armond fired, we’d have a name for her: Karen. I don’t know if we have a male equivalent of that name, but here it seems like “Shane” might work.

I hope it does! The Karen thing is like, “I won’t stand for this,” as if they’re taking the side of justice. And Shane’s thing is, “Don’t make me make this ugly.” There is this aggression there, like, “I won’t be treated this way!” It’s the same in Shane as it is in a Karen.

At the same time, Armond gave him the wrong room. I mean, these rooms cost $26,000 a night. It’s as if you bought a car, and they were like, “Oh, we just know this is the one you wanted,” and you’re like, “This is definitely not the car I paid for.” He booked a room, and he feels they should give him that room. Even if his behavior is increasingly inappropriate, and the way he treats people is terrible, what he wants seems pretty fair: “I want what I paid for.” Not that that excuses his behavior. In a perfect world, he would chill out and let it go.

Who do you think was the worst?

I feel like people are going to say Shane, but that’s my guy! I still have a little empathy for him. I feel like most of these characters are pretty unpalatable. In actions alone, Shane is the worst, for sure. No one else kills a guy. But Paula [brittany O’Grady], as honest and progressive as she claims to be, is an accomplice to a felony, and when the rubber meets the road, she gets back on a plane. She doesn’t say anything. And Rachel will put up with Shane if it means she gets the nice dinners.

To me, a lot of the show is saying is, “How clean are you? How innocent are you? How free of guilt are you?” Whether it’s the opportunities you’ve had that others haven’t, or your privilege, or money, or the way you look, or the color of your skin — if you’re in a transactional world, how clean are you?

The hope is that all this gets reflected back to the audience: “You probably do some of the same things, don’t you? On some level?” Whether it’s at the Four Seasons, the carwash, in line at McDonald’s or at Starbucks, how much expectation do you have for what the world owes you and how you deserve to be treated?

That is the part of the show that most intrigues me. It’s less about who’s worse, and more about who’s kidding themselves the most.

As shitty of a person that Shane is, he should not be criminally responsible for Armond’s death. He didn’t get away with anything there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My wife (no pics) and I started watching this and we are two episodes in and so far it is not grabbing me at all.

One major beef I have is I have three kids (on in twenties, one in HS and one in MS) and I can fucking promise you kids do not talk about dicks/clits with their dads like the daughter/friend were with the Steve Zahn's character. It's just so stupid. That whole bit added nothing and is just stupid.

None of the characters are making me give any shits about what happen to any of them. Maybe that's the point, that they are just all awful, self absorbed people (minus Daddario's character who I guess is supposed to be the person we are rooting for)

Hopefully it will get better, but it is not a show at all that gets me hooked in. I haven't read any of the posts in this forum as I don't want to spoil who the body was etc,

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

My wife (no pics) and I started watching this and we are two episodes in and so far it is not grabbing me at all.

One major beef I have is I have three kids (on in twenties, one in HS and one in MS) and I can fucking promise you kids do not talk about dicks/clits with their dads like the daughter/friend were with the Steve Zahn's character. It's just so stupid. That whole bit added nothing and is just stupid.

None of the characters are making me give any shits about what happen to any of them. Maybe that's the point, that they are just all awful, self absorbed people (minus Daddario's character who I guess is supposed to be the person we are rooting for)

Hopefully it will get better, but it is not a show at all that gets me hooked in. I haven't read any of the posts in this forum as I don't want to spoil who the body was etc,

That's what bothers you? That the kids and dad talked about dicks because he thought he might have ball cancer?

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

That's what bothers you? That the kids and dad talked about dicks because he thought he might have ball cancer?

Among many, it was the completely unrealistic way they spoke about dicks/clits etc. It was just a stupid scene. Not sure if director was hoping for “shock value” but it added nothing and was just stupid. 

Among many, it was the completely unrealistic way they spoke about dicks/clits etc. It was just a stupid scene. Not sure if director was hoping for “shock value” but it added nothing and was just stupid. 

Steve Zahn’s midlife crisis and yearning for respect is relevant. I don’t recall the scene but its in character for that family.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Sydney Sweeney and her friend are in college, I believe, or at least about to graduate HS. That is a conversation that can 100% take place in a household, especially in that situation. Connie Britton works a shit-load and Zahn isn't exactly the strictest parent in the world. I would never have dreamed of talking to my parents about things my 16-year-old daughter and I casually talk about now.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Sydney Sweeney and her friend are in college, I believe, or at least about to graduate HS. That is a conversation that can 100% take place in a household, especially in that situation. Connie Britton works a shit-load and Zahn isn't exactly the strictest parent in the world. I would never have dreamed of talking to my parents about things my 16-year-old daughter and I casually talk about now.

Pretty sure they're already in college, and I could definitely see that sort of conversation happening in this day and age.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

they are sophomores in college. and i hate to break it to Brazil...but a lot of kids do talk like that with adults/parents nowadays.

man we're in a completely different age...kids have hardly any hangups about sex anymore. no modesty, hardly any inhibitions, they are very matter-of-fact about all things sexual. 

ask the guys in the Sugarbaby thread lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mchookem said:

they are sophomores in college. and i hate to break it to Brazil...but a lot of kids do talk like that with adults/parents nowadays.

man we're in a completely different age...kids have hardly any hangups about sex anymore. no modesty, hardly any inhibitions, they are very matter-of-fact about all things sexual. 

ask the guys in the Sugarbaby thread lol

yeah, the wife and i were in a constant conversation about everyone's ages.  eventually it comes out that the girls are sophomores in college and the son is 16.

• 2 weeks later...
This fucking show, finished watching it yesterday. I swear it was designed specifically to annoy the shit out of me. The music…it made my brain hurt. The douchebag Shane and the two bitch friends.

The music was very odd for sure.

The worst plot holes were that both Rachel and Nicole have sex with their shirts on.

• 1 month later...

At first I thought coughing Uncle Rico had cancer...then i started to wonder if it was the covid, and half the cast would be on ventilators at show's end.

csb/ Mike White's dad Mel White used to be a speechwriter for Jerry Falwell Sr and Pat Robertson. In 1995 he came out the closet and left fundagelicalism and the gop behind. Mike White really got a phone call like that but he was 25 or so. He himself is bi.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, wild_turkey said:

Really enjoyed the show.

Armand was the most entertaining character and I’m sad to see him be the one who was killed. I’m slightly confused why his body was being loaded on a plane back to the U.S., although I guess we were never explicitly told that’s where the plane is headed.

Quinn was my favorite character and his transformation was perfect.

Sad to see Rachel accept Shane back so easily. I guess she made a Faustian bargain after all and it means all characters minus Quinn returned to their former selves.

Late to the party, but I'm thinking it's not a plane to the mainland, it's a plane to Oahu. I had initially made the same assumption, flying back to states.

I am now certain of that conclusion, because the plane is a 717, used only inter-island (DC9 with T tail).

Edited by TwiceHorn

I guess I enjoyed it.  It was funny and the cringiest show I think I may have ever watched.

I realized after about the third ep that it had kind of released a mild case of holiday depression, it was so bleak.

I either got inured to it or it lightened up a little in the end.

A bit tidy at the ending, considering the chaos before.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Imperioli is a vegan and a Buddhist. He'll fit right in as a yoga instructor/spiritual guru. 

Before somebody points out he's been on a CBS show I've never heard of before, I'm glad to see him back on HBO. 

You never watched Detroit 1-8-7? Man.....

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Imperioli is a vegan and a Buddhist. He'll fit right in as a yoga instructor/spiritual guru. 

Before somebody points out he's been on a CBS show I've never heard of before, I'm glad to see him back on HBO. 

He is also a big Shoegaze / My Bloody Valentine fan. (for those up on that kind of thing)