2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I will let others respond to your lack of knowledge. 20-or-so years?

13 minutes ago, bar said:

We were in the National Championship game 10 years ago and won it 15 years ago. We aren't winning as many conference championships as we should and the last decade has been rough sledding, but c'mon man.

In my defense it sure feels like 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

Pete Kwiatkowski says "Winning is Hard" well crap we did not lose the phrase from the bingo card.
Jeff Banks says "Coming to a sleeping giant" well that is proof even the coaching staff at A&M uses the phrase and he still has it in his lingo.
So if anyone knows Banks let him know that we are not a sleeping giant since 1939. We're Texas and we played for a championship in January 2010. Unlike A&M we are a blue blood and not a wanna be and we are broken due to Mack burning it down. The administration has yet to fix the issue because Patterson made a cheap hire and then the next guy made a hasty hire in Herman. Some of us were not impressed with Sark but are very hopeful about Sark's hires and Banks is one of those impressive hires. So stop the aggy talk and work on getting this blue blood back to its' rightful place in college football.

This is, ironically, one of the most aggy things ever posted on this site
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, ousux said:

You're assuming every team we play will have their shit together? This is practice...not going against another team. We will see the real deal in roughly two weeks.

Speaking of practice...now that CFB is essentially NFL lite, how long until we see pre-season games against nearby programs? We could bring Texas State or UTSA up to DKR for scrimmages instead of going against ourselves.

Fair enough. My only concern is the QB to WR issue. If they can get that together then it could be a good to great season. If they don’t, I can see teams with strong secondaries loading the box to stop the run and suffocating the O. If you feel that these scenarios are greater than a coin flip of happening then that’s cool. I’m just not going to get my hopes up like I’ve done the last couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You guys remember the second half of the Colorado game and how good it felt thinking/knowing we had a QB ready to step in and take over after Sam left.

That was a nice time.

Lol

And Shane was the next Colt after his first game

Just now, Nope said:

Lol

And Shane was the next Colt after his first game

Yeah, the list of guys who flashed in their first college game when defenses weren’t ready for them is very long.

I didnt think Thompson could repeat that performance, but I was hopeful he could set a solid floor for the QB position this year. That’s seeming pretty iffy at the moment. 

Scipio

Let's chum the waters. I spoke with a practice observer and asked a couple of questions.

Luke Brockermeyer

Seinfeld voice: "What is the deal with Luke Brockermeyer?"

It's now clear that Brockermeyer running with the 1s is not a motivational tool for the other scholarship linebackers but rather the real current state of the depth chart. Depth charts aren't written in stone. The starters in October are not always the starters in late August. Go pull up some old depth charts from seasons past.

Nonetheless...

Why is Brockermeyer getting so many interceptions during live periods and scrimmage formats?

High football IQ. He's also longer than he looks and moves well laterally. He lets things develop and doesn't waste movement. He understands where the checks are and where a wide receiver or running back will settle against the called coverage and he baits the QB (especially Thompson). He also has good hands. So he converts his opportunities.

Has he just figured out our QBs and offense through repetition and it may not necessarily translate on Saturdays?

You don't know until game day. Maybe he just sees the game.

Why is he starting?

He's the most coachable LB and the DL frees him up.

A coach like Pete also likes to have a guy on the 2nd level of the defense who understands the larger defense.

Yes. That is an important point.

Will he remain the starter?

If the DL keeps him clean and he tackles well. He's not a physical presence with big pop, he just needs to get dudes on the ground.

Standout freshmen

I asked for three. I got three.

Hayden Conner - "He's freaking gigantic, can't be bull rushed when he keeps his base, and his feet are better than advertised. He also has an on-field mean streak and wants to f people up. He will play this year."

Byron Murphy - (I was very high on Murphy coming out of HS, as were many other mods at Inside Texas) "What you predicted about him is true. Motor and don't quit. He gets into the blocker before they can take advantage of their height and length advantage and once he's in close, his feet don't stop moving and he's tough to knock off balance. Handful."

Xavier Worthy - "Moves differently from the others. Good after the catch and downfield. Accelerates well. Very skinny but not soft. Can he hold up physically? Can he learn the offense? Freshmen wide receivers usually don't understand football....(pause)....of course most wide receivers don't understand football. You have to make it simple for them until they learn the rules."

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You guys remember the second half of the Colorado game and how good it felt thinking/knowing we had a QB ready to step in and take over after Sam left.

That was a nice time.

If only we could play that Colorado defense 12 times this year all problems would disappear like a fart in the wind.  

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Buddy we're a blue blood that hasn't won its conference in 20-or-so years, we can go ahead and get called a sleeping giant and understand why.

Here is a more complete response to your assertion.

Sleeping Giant (Merriam-Webster)
one that has great but unrealized or newly emerging power

Banks said what he said because he still has aggy lingo in him. Aggy uses sleeping giant to raise themselves above their station which in reality is a wanna be. So with Bank's context in mind in which he compared us to aggy I have two exhibits.

Exhibit A: We do not pretend to have power.

Exhibit B: We realized our potential in the last 15 years, not as often as we should but it has recently happened.

Aggy
1 Top Four Finishes
0 National Champions Games
0 National Championships

Texas
3 Top Four Finishes
2 National Champions Games
1 National Championship

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didnt think Thompson could repeat that performance, but I was hopeful he could set a solid floor for the QB position this year. That’s seeming pretty iffy at the moment. 

The floor is solid, all right. It's just way closer to the basement than it ought to be.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Here is a more complete response to your assertion.

Sleeping Giant (Merriam-Webster)
one that has great but unrealized or newly emerging power

Banks said what he said because he still has aggy lingo in him. Aggy uses sleeping giant to raise themselves above their station which in reality is a wanna be. So with Bank's context in mind in which he compared us to aggy I have two exhibits.

Exhibit A: We do not pretend to have power.

Exhibit B: We realized our potential in the last 15 years, not as often as we should but it has recently happened.

Aggy
1 Top Four Finishes
0 National Champions Games
0 National Championships

Texas
3 Top Four Finishes
2 National Champions Games
1 National Championship

Sure, now do the last 10 years (aka the part that current recruits, aka the talent pipeline of the program, have any potential of remembering). We've been badly down for a full decade, with one fun Sugar Bowl year where we still lost to Maryland. I'd call that asleep. Definitely a pretty serious nap.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Now do the last 4 years. No middle schooler knows jack shit about CFB. Freshman that play varsity will pay attention though. 

Now do NIL, bag dropping, conference affiliation, social media support and how cool the uniforms look.

That reminds me, I haven’t checked in on 9.95 yet today...

Bunch of pussy ass bitches in this thread today. Some of you should be lucky I’m not the admin because I would be giving 24 hour breaks for being such gigantic weeping vaginas. The offense is going against a pretty good defense with a stout Dline that is basically seeing the same shit everyday. They should be struggling, we’d be in much worse shape if the offense was dominating the defense at this point. Also I’m sure the coaching staff has only shown so much when the practices are public. The only real issues is the WRs drops but I think that’ll take care of itself when the WR rotation is set. I still maintain this team won’t be worse than last year. Some of you need to get a grip.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

Bunch of pussy ass bitches in this thread today. Some of you should be lucky I’m not the admin because I would be giving 24 hour breaks for being such gigantic weeping vaginas. The offense is going against a pretty good defense with a stout Dline that is basically seeing the same shit everyday. They should be struggling, we’d be in much worse shape if the offense was dominating the defense at this point. Also I’m sure the coaching staff has only shown so much when the practices are public. The only real issues is the WRs drops but I think that’ll take care of itself when the WR rotation is set. I still maintain this team won’t be worse than last year. Some of you need to get a grip.

Oh I like the team this year. Good defense, good RBs, solid OL, we can get Royal-style up in this bitch and win some games while grinding smaller teams into dust.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sure, now do the last 10 years (aka the part that current recruits, aka the talent pipeline of the program, have any potential of remembering). We've been badly down for a full decade, with one fun Sugar Bowl year where we still lost to Maryland. I'd call that asleep. Definitely a pretty serious nap.

8DCB9397-0C84-474B-A321-227DAA10DD88.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, 6th Street said:

Doesn't matter how open you are if you can't catch the ball. The WR group is comprised of dudes with butter fingers and long history of injury issues. 

If you think this group can even get open in the first place, I have some bad news friendo.

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Q: Why is Brockermeyer getting so many interceptions...?     A:  He's ... longer than he looks...

...And all the ladies say
He's pretty long for a white guy.

-The Offspring-ish

Edited by Napoleon

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brockermeyer:

High football IQ. He's also longer than he looks and moves well laterally. He lets things develop and doesn't waste movement. He understands where the checks are and where a wide receiver or running back will settle against the called coverage and he baits the QB (especially Thompson). He also has good hands. So he converts his opportunities.

Has he just figured out our QBs and offense through repetition and it may not necessarily translate on Saturdays?

Why is he starting?

A coach like Pete also likes to have a guy on the 2nd level of the defense who understands the larger defense.

If the DL keeps him clean and he tackles well. He's not a physical presence with big pop, he just needs to get dudes on the ground.

Coach on the field who brings his lunch pail.  Sneaky athletic with a high motor.  Scrappy.  Good fundamentals.  Cerebral, plays the game the right way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Reads like something you'd find on Texags - blind optimism, devoid of reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Probably more like 'The night was moist..'

I kid.

"The night was SULTRY…. i’m getting the hell out of here! too goddamn sultry in here!"

"Where you going?"

"I’m going to kill the bitch."

Back to football, I am really liking the vibe for where we are right now (as in having concerns regarding passing game, rather then hearing how great it looks in practice only to get a reality check in Game1). Reverse Kool-Aid may be just what I needed. With all the debate about which QB will start, I am just oping our staff will be good at making the right changes when necessary when we play in real games. Those Cajuns could use a good ass kicking, so I hope the team is ready to oblige. I have a good feeling about our stable of running backs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

So is the general sentiment still trending towards Card being the guy? Trying to catch up but saw reports he got most/all 1st team reps Mon/Tue but then split evenly yesterday.

i think it depends on who you ask.  some say yes, some say no. 

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So is the general sentiment still trending towards Card being the guy? Trying to catch up but saw reports he got most/all 1st team reps Mon/Tue but then split evenly yesterday.

Slight lean to Card but really need one of them to seize the mantle

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scipio

Let's chum the waters. I spoke with a practice observer and asked a couple of questions.

Luke Brockermeyer

Seinfeld voice: "What is the deal with Luke Brockermeyer?"

It's now clear that Brockermeyer running with the 1s is not a motivational tool for the other scholarship linebackers but rather the real current state of the depth chart. Depth charts aren't written in stone. The starters in October are not always the starters in late August. Go pull up some old depth charts from seasons past.

Nonetheless...

Why is Brockermeyer getting so many interceptions during live periods and scrimmage formats?

Why is he starting?

Standout freshmen

I asked for three. I got three.

Hayden Conner - "He's freaking gigantic, can't be bull rushed when he keeps his base, and his feet are better than advertised. He also has an on-field mean streak and wants to f people up. He will play this year."

Byron Murphy - (I was very high on Murphy coming out of HS, as were many other mods at Inside Texas) "What you predicted about him is true. Motor and don't quit. He gets into the blocker before they can take advantage of their height and length advantage and once he's in close, his feet don't stop moving and he's tough to knock off balance. Handful."

Xavier Worthy - "Moves differently from the others. Good after the catch and downfield. Accelerates well. Very skinny but not soft. Can he hold up physically? Can he learn the offense? Freshmen wide receivers usually don't understand football....(pause)....of course most wide receivers don't understand football. You have to make it simple for them until they learn the rules."

Thanks. That post from Scipio where he quotes an unnamed source had some real interesting insights about Luke Brockermeyer in it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Theme for QBs -- "Work in Process"

This info from Scipio's source accurately matches what I witnessed at last night's practice..

"Neither QB is particularly impressive. Thompson is a lot more fluid in his footwork so he looks more comfortable but he isn’t a consistent or accurate passer and he has to put a lot of air on anything over 25 yards. Card is bizarrely stiff in his backfield footwork and doesn’t look great on rollouts either – looks especially bad rolling left which is a concern since we run much better going right. He’s fast when he pulls the ball but his passing footwork is choppy and you don’t see the bounce and resets you’d like to as he is going through a progression. He gets good spin on the ball and can deliver the ball a lot more directly to a lot more of the field." 

SARK has a tough choice right now, but whoever he selects for QB1 needs a lot work. But with early season success, both Card and Casey have the ability to help this offense have a good year.

Protect the ball, on the job training, and building QB's confidence are critical early this season...    

C'mon SARK, coach 'em up !!! 🤘

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

There sure are a lot of conclusions about the team being made based on reports from 9.95ers that Surly thinks are full of shit.

To be fair, some of the conclusions are based on practice reports from fellow surly posters, all of whom are equally full of shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4