2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

Interesting quote from Mack Brown interview replay (from elsewhere) on the Ticket this morning. "Once I saw that Riley had married the Leach offense with a power run offense, I knew that is what I wanted to install in my next job and was the key to winning."

• Haha 1

Interesting quote from Mack Brown interview replay (from elsewhere) on the Ticket this morning. "Once I saw that Riley had married the Leach offense with a power run offense, I knew that is what I wanted to install in my next job and was the key to winning."

Interesting, as in ragey?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, closetohumping said:

And everything I've heard, given the circumstances, Simms is a solid guy.  Major, not so much

I got to be friends with Major’s grandfather, who was a total badass. Let’s just say,  I should have pulled harder for Simms.

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Also, is this thread somehow now attempting to spin the defensive experience on the depth chart into some sort of concern? Is that happening? It seems more logical to stick with handwringing about the hobo bag full of WR depth and the two JAGs attempting to win the starting QB spot. 

This is where I am. I think our offense will be exceptionally pedestrian unless Bijan is truly other worldly. Outside of Bijan, it’s a whole lot of blah or question marks as far as the eye can see. Maybe Whittington finally stays healthy and lives up to his pedigree, Moore keeps his head on straight, Worthy is the rare Great Freshman Hope who actually lives up to ridiculous expectations, and Keilan Robinson is the next coming of Ramonce Taylor. Maybe…

But, there is absolutely no reason our defense shouldn’t be fucking awesome, based on both talent and coaching pedigree. You can pick nits and wish we had more talent at the edge, a second proven linebacker, and maybe more speed and ball skills at safety, but all of those positions are at least filled by competent players.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Next man up. I bet Ballaholics Under Armor All-American Game Co-MVP Marcus Washington is one of those guys that does a lot better in games than practice.

I hope so but he has the yips bad. The spring game was the epitome of headscratching with two bad drops then a penalty for running into the KR. The same game he makes a nice 20 yard gainer catch then catches that sweet sweet dime from card where the ball was completely out of view covered by the DB until the last second for the TD. It feels like every catch he fights the ball and it's maddening bc of how talented he is. Hopefully the light turns on. 

16 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Seriously they need to have him with a yoga instructor for a hour every morning and get him to quit lifting too much.  

Lifting doesn’t make you inflexible, that’s a myth. Not stretching like you should makes you inflexible.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Wait wait wait.  So we have a qb with small hands throwing to nobody who can catch. Kirk Johnson has another injury. Our defense is full of 30 year old grown men. Our recruiting sucks shit. Next year we will suck worse than this year.  I think we are fucking doomed. Or not doomed. 

shiiit, defense is gonna have to pitch shut outs now…  and omiere and whitt are hurt again what the hell did the do that shit for - Alvin Mack 

• Hook 'Em 1

I respected Mack.  I thank him for his contribution but after we "lost" to Bama in 2009 Mack fucked us.  We were ahead of the game in terms of offense, but no he decided to change the direction of the program by trying to be a run first team.  "More like Bama" he said.  The thing is more offense was spreading to the SEC and in short order Saban incorporated more of the future and what we were already doing.  The rest is history, terrible decision.   For that alone he deserved to be fired.      

Having Colt and Ship hid the disfunction of the dink and dunk offense, as did having an awesome defense and special teams.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Whittington really needs yoga like a mf. Stretch, dude, stretch. For the love of God.

He needs to lengthen his muscles under load. Deep paused squats, Nordic hamstring curl, and deficit Romanian deadlifts should be in his strength routine. Static stretching has really been proven ineffective. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

At first I was like ehh, but I'm sure he's not the only one who has done wild shit like that. His just happened to be especially vicious, callous, and caught on video for public consumption.

Props on him for putting himself out there again to tell his side of his story of recovery.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yall act like our WR group can get any worse than last year. Theres no getting worse from “dogshit”

Eagles was a disappointment and stupid to go pro- but he was better than anything we had here.  Smith gave you some catches and might well be better than Worthy will be this year.  Moore could always get hurt or thrown in prison.  There is definitely a roadmap for us to be worse at receiver this year than we were last year. It's not written in stone that it happens but I'd rather not tempt the God's by saying it's impossible.

Lucky for us receiver is the only position we suck at.  We should be good/great on defense depending upon if we are any good at linebacker and if we can get 1 credible edge rusher. Our floor is good but if we get satisfactory answers to those questions are ceiling is great.  Our RB room is awesome. Our special teams will be good/great this year.  OL is average to above average. TE is average to above average. I'm convinced that between the two QB's they won't be a negative that drags the team down. WR is our only place where you say, damn, we need to get a little lucky here.  Or a lot lucky.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Omeire is probably gone for the season. That will be the same knee getting blown out twice. He ran and played like a baby giraffe in high school. His speed and quickness measurements before his injuries were ... not good coming out of high school. He was a Tom Herman Special, a guy that could take up space and might catch passes against the sideline. That class' version of Malcolm Epps. Surly recruiting dorks, myself included, if not leading it, hated the take versus alternative choices at the time and low expectations were set. 

Then last summer the reports, from $9.95ers that everyone here reads religiously yet mocks violently, started putting out the feed from Carrington and Herman that Omeire "is blowing up" at summer workouts. Hype train somehow starts. Then knee gets blown out. We've never heard a positive word since and the new staff certainly hasn't been singing any praises at any point.

This seems like a zero impact issue without all of the noise. Bad fit for this offense, good luck elsewhere in the future. 

Also, is this thread somehow now attempting to spin the defensive experience on the depth chart into some sort of concern? Is that happening? It seems more logical to stick with handwringing about the hobo bag full of WR depth and the two JAGs attempting to win the starting QB spot. 

Not that it really matters now, but Omeire straight up dominated last year's camp. That's directly from someone who was there. And he's not named Carrington or Herman. 

I was underwhelmed with taking him too... until I saw his senior tape. He flipped a switch and was a different player. 

Oh well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I mean the reality is that we were ranked 13th in SP+ Offense with absolutely shittastic scheming and a possibly similar to slightly better WR corps. Assuming Sark’s scheming neutralizes losing Sam for one of our two candidates and Bijan is actually unleashed, I’m willing to bet we are ranked in the top 20 this season, if not the top 10 in offense. 

We were ranked 34th in SP+ Defense. If Kwiatkowski can get us into the top 20 I will be very happy, and I think we actually have a lot of upside to that if things really gel (maybe even top 10 considering how good of a defensive playcaller he is and the experience on our defense).

If the above both pan out, I really struggle to see how we don’t win every game on our schedule with the exception of Oklahoma and Iowa State (because away game and they also return a ton of people). 10-2 is the floor and I actually don’t think it’s impossible we go undefeated.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Eagles was a disappointment and stupid to go pro- but he was better than anything we had here.  Smith gave you some catches and might well be better than Worthy will be this year.  Moore could always get hurt or thrown in prison.  There is definitely a roadmap for us to be worse at receiver this year than we were last year. It's not written in stone that it happens but I'd rather not tempt the God's by saying it's impossible.

Lucky for us receiver is the only position we suck at.  We should be good/great on defense depending upon if we are any good at linebacker and if we can get 1 credible edge rusher. Our floor is good but if we get satisfactory answers to those questions are ceiling is great.  Our RB room is awesome. Our special teams will be good/great this year.  OL is average to above average. TE is average to above average. I'm convinced that between the two QB's they won't be a negative that drags the team down. WR is our only place where you say, damn, we need to get a little lucky here.  Or a lot lucky.  

Moore was MUCH better than Eagles last year. And it's not like he was awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I respected Mack.  I thank him for his contribution but after we "lost" to Bama in 2009 Mack fucked us.  We were ahead of the game in terms of offense, but no he decided to change the direction of the program by trying to be a run first team.  "More like Bama" he said.  The thing is more offense was spreading to the SEC and in short order Saban incorporated more of the future and what we were already doing.  The rest is history, terrible decision.   For that alone he deserved to be fired.      

Wonder how different outcomes would have been if Mack had Bijan Robinson from 2010-2014 to run his new ground focused offense. Who knows, but I will say I hope Sark focuses on run first this year given our weakness at the WR position. We need to run the ball 2 out of 3 plays to have a good season imo. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Wonder how different outcomes would have been if Mack had Bijan Robinson in from 2010-2014 to run his new ground focused offense. Who knows, but I will say I hope Sark focuses on run first this year given our weakness at the WR position. We need to run the ball 2 out of 3 plays to have a good season imo. 

We're not running the ball 66% of the time - that's just ridiculous.  There will be a lot of play action and the TE's are going to be a huge part of the offense - but I don't care how many WR's we lose - we're not turning into Wisconsin.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Moore was MUCH better than Eagles last year. And it's not like he was awesome.

That's fair I guess. But the point remains Eagles is gone and Moore is a headcase and medical question mark, so... it's easily possible to imagine last years WR group being better than this yeas which was the over arching point.  

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We're not running the ball 66% of the time - that's just ridiculous.  There will be a lot of play action and the TE's are going to be a huge part of the offense - but I don't care how many WR's we lose - we're not turning into Wisconsin.

Ironically Wisconsin is going to pass a lot this year because of how badly their previous RBs coach whiffed in recruiting in the '18 and '19 cycles.

14 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Ironically Wisconsin is going to pass a lot this year because of how badly their previous RBs coach whiffed in recruiting in the '18 and '19 cycles.

Seriously, how do you fuck up as the Wisco RB coach? Go to every big state's second-best RB (after their flagship grabs the top one), point at all the stats, Doak Walker awards, and draft results, and hand them a pen.

2 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

I haven't read anything negative about Worthy except that he is currently sick. Has he been dropping passes or not getting separation? Or maybe just young and learning a new system?

Coach Banks says he has the football IQ of a JR.  Could have been limited to special teams but would guess he's talking about offense as well.  Most "reporters" expect him to start at slot.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 1