Stones tour: Watts drops out

Gil Bang

• Gil Bang changed the title to Stones tour: Watts drops out

Shit, sorry to hear this.  Am looking forward to their Austin show in November, won't be quite the same without him.  Hopefully he's back by then.  I forget sometimes that in a band of very old men...he's the oldest...by far.  but also the coolest.  Get better soon Sir Watts.  

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gil Bang said:

I wonder if they will cancel the tour. 

he already gave the blessing for Steve Jordan.  kind of like what Dusty Hill did.

They will do this tour but I could see this being the last one if Keith decides he doesn't really want to play without Charlie.

42 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I could also see Keith saying that playing is what keeps him going.

I agree that that is the most likely outcome because these guys just love playing.  Jordan was with Keith in the Xpensive Winos so its all good and Charlie put out the statement that it is all good.

hell Buddy Guy and John Mayall are still going.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I still love these guys.  I hope I'm that spry when I'm 57 let alone 77.  But just look at that photo and tell me those guys don't look exactly like Team America supermarionation puppets.  Even Keith.  I expect him to turn around and say, "Oh, herro!"  

I guess the NOv 20 show is back on for COTA.  Who's in? 

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I still love these guys.  I hope I'm that spry when I'm 57 let alone 77.  But just look at that photo and tell me those guys don't look exactly like Team America supermarionation puppets.  Even Keith.  I expect him to turn around and say, "Oh, herro!"  

I guess the NOv 20 show is back on for COTA.  Who's in? 

God bless them, but I'd want seats as far away from the stage as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been watching clips from this tour.

God bless them, but it's time to hang it up. 

Good job for pushing 80, but let it go. 

Maybe play some unannounced small club gigs going back to their roots but, but the big stadium tour days are over. 

I say this as a huge fan. 

On 9/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, 4th&Five said:

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Maybe play some unannounced small club gigs going back to their roots but, but the big stadium tour days are over. 

They are old AF, but they did seem to play better in their later years. I guess there's always a point where things just don't work like they should any more. Never seen them myself, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Deej said:

4 hours ago, DougO said:

They are old AF, but they did seem to play better in their later years. I guess there's always a point where things just don't work like they should any more. Never seen them myself, unfortunately.

Have a friend who sees bands all the time, we got to be good friends going to several shows at Largo on Fairfax Av (across the street from Canter's Deli, just a block away from Fairfax High where the Red Hot Chili Peppers were formed) to see Rhett Miller do his unplugged solo gigs in the early 2000s, who just so the Stones at SoFi in LA.

He'd never seen the Stones before and he thought that the show was awesome. Again, he goes to tons of concerts, but had never seen the Stones live. 

Longtime fans are probably a little depressed by what they're running out these days, but for those who have never seen them, there is still some excitement to be had at their shows.

7 hours ago, DougO said:

I had a friend (also a musician), who has seen them a couple of times before and who saw them on the last tour.  He said the show he saw on the last tour was the best of the lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

I had a friend (also a musician), who has seen them a couple of times before and who saw them on the last tour.  He said the show he saw on the last tour was the best of the lot.

I imagine being too old do be doing hard drugs has a lot to do with it. 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, Deej said:

Kind of disagree.  I mean, would you have gone to see Muddy Waters in 1981?  I did and am glad despite the fact that he was a shadow of his younger self.  I saw the Stones in Houston the tour before the pandemic.  It was probably one of the more enjoyable times I had seen them.  Maybe they are a metaphor for the rest of us.  Doing what they like to do for as long as they can do it. None of us are as good as we were at 20.  

But, I kind of hear you in that I saw BB King shortly before he passed and it was sad.  Could not remember lyrics and seemed totally confused.  The Sones are nowhere near that.

Edited by CTC2

7 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Kind of disagree.  I mean, would you have gone to see Muddy Waters in 1981?  I did and am glad despite the fact that he was a shadow of his younger self.  I saw the Stones in Houston the tour before the pandemic.  It was probably one of the more enjoyable times I had seen them.  Maybe they are a metaphor for the rest of us.  Doing what they like to do for as long as they can do it. None of us are as good as we were at 20.  

But, I kind of hear you in that I saw BB King shortly before he passed and it was sad.  Could not remember lyrics and seemed totally confused.  The Sones are nowhere near that.

I saw John Lee Hooker at the Fillmore West in late '98, just a couple years before he died.  He was slowed a bit, but I was damn glad to see him before he died.  Charlie Musselwhite ended up doing most of the heavy lifting that night, but John had a big shit-eating grin on his face the whole night and what he lacked in vocal chops, he made up for by still slaying the guitar.  He closed with Boogie Chillun', tossed my date the apple from on top of the piano, and walked off into heaven as far as I'm concerned.  Some guys, no matter their age, you just can't miss.  

I've seen the Stones before, but it was long ago.  I'm gonna try my damndest to see them at COTA next month.  It's the last time they'll ever be in Texas most likely.  

7 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I'm saying that they're days of doing a stadium tour should be behind them. Mick doesn't need to be running around on a giant stage. I have no problem with them still playing live, but I think they'd be much more enjoyable to see if they played more intimate venues and played setlists that weren't just the hits. Hell, I'd be down for them doing like some other bands are doing and play one of their albums in its entirety. Shake it up a bit. 

13 minutes ago, stc said:

never miss a chance to see one of the greatest bands of all time. they'll be gone soon and you'll regret not going. 

This is the right answer.  I see Willie every chance I get.  Is 2021 Willie the same as 1992 Willie?  Hell no.  Do I regret going to any Willie show?  Hell no.

Same for the Stones. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That’s cool.

/csb….Way back in the day they were coming through Dallas on the Tattoo You tour. Talk on the Q102 morning show was that they sometimes would play small bars under a different name. Some band called Tattoo was booked at a club called the Beggar the night before the big show. The DJ’s thought they had it figured out and were spreading the word in the pre internet days. Lots of people apparently showed up and got disappointed.

And btw they did 2 nights at the cotton bowl. 1st night was Halloween. Fabulous Thunderbirds and ZZ Top opened. I wanted to go so bad but alas I was only 13.

I have yet to purchase a ticket for tonight and my dog-walking-in-a-Denver-winter waterproof parka with a hood is in storage in another state, along with my various pairs of ski pants.

Unless you have seats in the lower deck under the upper deck, tonight is going to be a wet one. 

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

That’s cool.

/csb….Way back in the day they were coming through Dallas on the Tattoo You tour. Talk on the Q102 morning show was that they sometimes would play small bars under a different name. Some band called Tattoo was booked at a club called the Beggar the night before the big show. The DJ’s thought they had it figured out and were spreading the word in the pre internet days. Lots of people apparently showed up and got disappointed.

And btw they did 2 nights at the cotton bowl. 1st night was Halloween. Fabulous Thunderbirds and ZZ Top opened. I wanted to go so bad but alas I was only 13.

We were young and dumb for the '89 Steel Wheels tour. But not dumb enough for 6 of us to go in and get a bunch of wristbands at Northcross over multiple days in advance of ticket sales, long sleeve shirts helped to conceal the others.  Having accumulated 40 plus wristbands over 6 people, we were in good shape that Saturday morning when they announced wristband #101236 as the first to be in line for tickets.

We cut all wristbands off except for #101239 that paid off just fine for 3rd row seats at the Cotton Bowl that Saturday night in November. Incredible night. 

• Like 1

That’s cool.

Begger/Bellringer club was by European Crossroads near Bachman lake. That area was hoppin’ late 70s early 80’s. Dude who owned them bought Norma’s Cafe.
563c1f1983fe196e44ef93debd5f3803.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk