Stones tour: Watts drops out

Gil Bang

What a steaming pile of utter horseshit...

POS Epstein is blaming the roads, Waze, the personnel companies, Captal Metro, the City, and the County. Of course it's not COTA's fault.  It never is.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/cota-points-to-hiring-difficulties-gps-app-issues-for-traffic-trouble-at-rolling-stones-concert/

KXAN has reached out to Capital Metro to ask to what extent they were involved with the concert Saturday night. A spokeswoman said a statement is expected to be released Monday.

“We further thank all the fans who endured the complications and hope you enjoyed the concert of a lifetime,” finished the statement.

Read COTA’s full statement below:

COTA itself is a small group of caring people who want to provide happiness and good memories, not frustration.   To host large events, the team hires, and must rely upon, outside staffing companies to provide mobility-assisted services, parking attendants, food vendors, ushers, and cleaning staff.  Those organizations, not unlike most, have reported that hiring has been incredibly difficult lately, and we appreciate everyone who did their best to make The Rolling Stones concert a great experience.  

Last night, a widely used GPS traffic app incorrectly displayed a major open road as being closed and further displayed a private driveway as being an open road.  Thousands of cars were wrongly directed, thereby turning heavy traffic into a mess.

We encourage Capital Metro and elected officials to heed the calls of our Councilwoman and County Commissioner when they say the residents and businesses in the southeast corridor are underserved.  Public transportation, streetlights, improved roads, and sidewalks are badly needed.   

Additionally, we understand the mobility-assist partners found themselves overwhelmed with demand.   An epic, multi-generational band like The Rolling Stones required a lot of patience, and we appreciate those understanding fans who recognize the challenges our provider partners faced.  

We call upon Cap Metro to support the Del Valle neighborhood residents, businesses, and visitors.  We further thank all the fans who endured the complications and hope you enjoyed the concert of a lifetime.   

Edited by wood

13 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Man, from the Gold Circle it was absolutely one of the cleanest, best sounding shows I’ve ever seen/heard

We were off to the side, I'm way too old to do that standing room only bullshit so that may have had something to do with it. We only had sight lines to one of the video boards too. 

And oh yeah the whole thing about "traffic apps misdirecting people" was utter bullshit.  Allegedly Waze was saying Elroy was closed which was jamming up the other entrances but we were on Elroy and it was just as backed up as every other street.  If one of the Surly legal elite wants to throw a class action suit at these assholes to at least get everyone their parking permit money back I'm in.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We were off to the side, I'm way too old to do that standing room only bullshit so that may have had something to do with it. We only had sight lines to one of the video boards too. 
And oh yeah the whole thing about "traffic apps misdirecting people" was utter bullshit.  Allegedly Waze was saying Elroy was closed which was jamming up the other entrances but we were on Elroy and it was just as backed up as every other street.  If one of the Surly legal elite wants to throw a class action suit at these assholes to at least get everyone their parking permit money back I'm in.  

I wonder how you put a price on missing all/part of The Rolling Stones last show?

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

TreeFiddy

Fuck that, I want the sixty gotdamn dollars I paid for the parking pass that bought me the privilege of sitting in a three hour traffic jam and that was completely disregarded and therefore useless when I got to actually, you know, park my fucking car. 

On edit - forgot to mention that we didn't even get to park in a parking lot.  Just in a giant fucking featureless field full of potholes and such.  

Edited by M12BH
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m thinking the audio may have been off on the sides.  I was in the silver lawn and it was just about perfect.  Loud and clean.  

Same thing goes for some of the videos showing low energy.  A 78 year old was jumping up and down and running all over the stage for two hours at the end of a tour.

Left the house at 5.  Parking was a most epic shit show of shit shows.  Took 25 minutes to get to 183 and 812 - an hour to turn in.  The C lot (thanks again @KingBobo81) didn’t have any lighting so I almost missed my lot, but overall sounds like we were lucky as hell.

Once we got to our spot and settled, it was worth every fucking dime and ounce of frustration.  Hell, Midnight Rambler alone may have been worth it.  Stayed 10 min after the encore to allow things to calm down and slowly made it to the car.  Back to the car about midnight and made it back to NW Hills before 1.  Stayed up another hour or two watching old live performances.

Only thing I wish was that we got a 19 song set instead of 18.  I still have a smile on my face.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

I’m thinking the audio may have been off on the sides.  I was in the silver lawn and it was just about perfect.  Loud and clean.  

Same thing goes for some of the videos showing low energy.  A 78 year old was jumping up and down and running all over the stage for two hours at the end of a tour.

Left the house at 5.  Parking was a most epic shit show of shit shows.  Took 25 minutes to get to 183 and 812 - an hour to turn in.  The C lot (thanks again @KingBobo81) didn’t have any lighting so I almost missed my lot, but overall sounds like we were lucky as hell.

Once we got to our spot and settled, it was worth every fucking dime and ounce of frustration.  Hell, Midnight Rambler alone may have been worth it.  Stayed 10 min after the encore to allow things to calm down and slowly made it to the car.  Back to the car about midnight and made it back to NW Hills before 1.  Stayed up another hour or two watching old live performances.

Only thing I wish was that we got a 19 song set instead of 18.  I still have a smile on my face.

on the 18 song set I think we got it because of the traffic BS.  they waited longer to go on to try to let people get to the seats.  got screwed in the cotton bowl on the 18 song set because they were waiting for the rain to slow down.  

if they are going to do that I wish they would shelve the stupid Ghost town song and give us the hit they were going to play in the early part of the show.

was happy to get let it bleed.  you got the silver is a great song if keith could actually sing it properly but I would rather have had Happy or Before they make me run.

still was a great show and a good way to end it all. 

27 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Agree on Midnight Rambler, holy shit, and loved the Robert Johnson insert during the middle.  Honestly they are at their best playing the blues.  Can't believe anyone thought it was low energy.  That's where I think you lose a bit being so far from the stage and having to rely on monitor boards that, especially if you are off to the side, are showing you only 1/4 of what's going on.  

27 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

It is low energy compared to the past, and I understand it. They are old. Steel Wheels tour was 115 shows in a year and most nights they played 28 songs. Thirty years later they do 14 shows and average 18 songs. It's understandable. But at this point, they aren't even close to what they were the last time they were in Austin. 

And Mick is not jumping. He raises up on his toes, at most, and that is smart, at his age. 

33 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

on the 18 song set I think we got it because of the traffic BS.  they waited longer to go on to try to let people get to the seats.  got screwed in the cotton bowl on the 18 song set because they were waiting for the rain to slow down.  

if they are going to do that I wish they would shelve the stupid Ghost town song and give us the hit they were going to play in the early part of the show.

was happy to get let it bleed.  you got the silver is a great song if keith could actually sing it properly but I would rather have had Happy or Before they make me run.

still was a great show and a good way to end it all. 

The setlist was prepared well beforehand and they played every song on it

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

on the 18 song set I think we got it because of the traffic BS.  they waited longer to go on to try to let people get to the seats.  got screwed in the cotton bowl on the 18 song set because they were waiting for the rain to slow down

That seems to be the average length of their setlist. No different from other shows this tour. 

25 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Agree on Midnight Rambler, holy shit, and loved the Robert Johnson insert during the middle.  Honestly they are at their best playing the blues.  Can't believe anyone thought it was low energy.  That's where I think you lose a bit being so far from the stage and having to rely on monitor boards that, especially if you are off to the side, are showing you only 1/4 of what's going on.  

The great thing about where Rambler is in the set, is that it sets up the whole close.  

What a steaming pile of utter horseshit...
POS Epstein is blaming the roads, Waze, the personnel companies, Captal Metro, the City, and the County. Of course it's not COTA's fault.  It never is.
[

What's funny about blaming Waze is that when I went to F1 last month, printed on the back of my parking pass said "Use Waze to get to your lot"
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 8:07 AM, M12BH said:

I've been waiting for this to happen - for the Stones concert and for the people on F1 Sunday who had to walk 3+ miles in the weeds, in the dark, along 812 to their "Park & Ride" lot when COTA failed to provide them shuttles.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, M12BH said:

Fuck that, I want the sixty gotdamn dollars I paid for the parking pass that bought me the privilege of sitting in a three hour traffic jam and that was completely disregarded and therefore useless when I got to actually, you know, park my fucking car. 

On edit - forgot to mention that we didn't even get to park in a parking lot.  Just in a giant fucking featureless field full of potholes and such.  

You should get more than the purchase price back, esp if you missed any portion of either the Stones set or the opening act -- but with COTA you'll likely be lucky to get even a full parking refund. They probably won't even answer or return your calls or emails.

Edited by wood

12 hours ago, wood said:

I've been waiting for this to happen - for the Stones concert and for the people on F1 Sunday who had to walk 3+ miles in the weeds, in the dark, along 812 to their "Park & Ride" lot when COTA failed to provide them shuttles.

You should get more than the purchase price back, esp if you missed any portion of either the Stones set or the opening act -- but with COTA you'll likely be lucky to get even a full parking refund. They probably won't even answer or return your calls or emails.

This COTA traffic shitshow needs its own thread in the Daily Texan section. This is a huge example of all the bullshit going on in that SE area because it’s mostly ETJ out there with no infrastructure.

It is bizarre how binary the experiences out there are in terms of ingress/egress.  Everyone I know that went either zipped right back to the highway with no wait, or it took them 2-3 hours.  Nobody had the usual 30-minute wait that I bake in as a cost of attending a concert.  

Same thing with U.S. Grand Prix races out there.  I've either zipped right out or had to wait hours on end, regardless of parking status.  

I'll admit, ten years ago I fell for the "It's gonna be so awesome out there...new roads, infrastructure, development, a world class facility."  Over a decade later, the only thing they do is lay down some fresh mulch each year so you have something to walk on.  

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

This COTA traffic shitshow needs its own thread in the Daily Texan section. This is a huge example of all the bullshit going on in that SE area because it’s mostly ETJ out there with no infrastructure.

Sure, but don't fall for COTa's bs deflections. The biggest shitshow began AFTER folks turned onto COTA property.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

It is bizarre how binary the experiences out there are in terms of ingress/egress.  Everyone I know that went either zipped right back to the highway with no wait, or it took them 2-3 hours.  Nobody had the usual 30-minute wait that I bake in as a cost of attending a concert.  

Same thing with U.S. Grand Prix races out there.  I've either zipped right out or had to wait hours on end, regardless of parking status.  

I'll admit, ten years ago I fell for the "It's gonna be so awesome out there...new roads, infrastructure, development, a world class facility."  Over a decade later, the only thing they do is lay down some fresh mulch each year so you have something to walk on.  

A lot of it depends on which lot you're in, how close to the exit you are, whether you know the best ways to go, and how long it takes to even get to your car.

And yeah, with all the money they're getting from the State ($300 MILLION so far), youj'd think a bit more reinvestment would be in order. He's spending the absolute bare minimum on everything, including staffing. That's just another of the many reasons I think he knows the end is near and he's just getting what he can on the way out.

And don't fall for the BS 'personnel shortage' excuses, either. He just doesn't want to pay. They turned away 600 temps at 4am on the Friday morning of F1 this year, & told them they wouldn't be needed for the weekend. Then they told the remaining workers they'd be working 16 hour shifts all three days, which of course led to tons of no-shows on Saturday and Sunday.

You can tell when Epstein is lying, 'cause his lips will be moving. 

Oh, and here's their statement about the latest COTA debacle. I love how now they're just a quaint little Mom & Pop, family operation. Just don't pay any attention to the $300M in subsidies behind the curtain. And of course, none of it was their fault. It was all on everyone else ... just blatantly begging for even more taxpayer assistance.

FE-wAW7XoAQfbtX?format=jpg&name=large

The sad thing is, COTA does bring in a lot of business to Austin.  It swamps the $25M per year subsidy.  If it were in Dallas or Houston, no politician would give a shit, but it's in Austin, so it's automatically bad.

I think it's a gem in the city's crown, but I also think that race is about to leave and the remaining events won't float the difference.

3 hours ago, wood said:

Sure, but don't fall for COTa's bs deflections. The biggest shitshow began AFTER folks turned onto COTA property.

I’m not falling for the COTA line of bullshit. I’m just saying that SE Austin and the ETJ areas are operating with a degree of lawlessness because there is no jurisdiction for what can be done. My sister bought a house out there right on the edge of the City of Austin 3 years ago and a club recently opened up 2 miles down the road across the street from the city boundary. There is no sound ordinance out there so they have to deal with that shitty thumping music every weekend. I thought she was being a Karen but when I went to visit her one weekend it was crazy. We were sitting outside and the noise sounded like a house party down the block. Its not even noise, it’s thumping vibration music that can’t be appropriately measured with the decibel level used to enforce a sound ordinance. Its not the same thing as those people who move next to a club and then complain about the music. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I'll be goddammed...

Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 1:23 PM
To: Hospitality <hospitality@thecircuit.com>
Subject: Circuit Customer Service // Rolling Stones

Good afternoon,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on your experience at The Rolling Stones show and apologize for not meeting your expectations and for the frustration that occurred.  

We have refunded your card for parking. Please know that it can sometimes take up to 4-6 weeks to see on your next statement.

Warmest regards, 

Beverly

BEVERLY MARTIN

Customer Service, Hospitality & Guest Services

Circuit of The Americas

9201 Circuit of The Americas Blvd . ATX 78617

hospitality@thecircuit.com

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...