2022 DB Champ Lewis

RGBIII

• 1 month later...
How does a dual sport track athlete with double digit interceptions fly under the radar in New Orleans? Glad to have him. 

Definitely weird. The name sounds familiar, but I’m probably just thinking of Champ Bailey. From people who’ve seen him play it sounds like we got a good one there. Hook em!

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, sidis said:

not a good look at all.  don't like it either.  any kid who stuck by the commitment that we accepted through this shit storm of a season and watching us be a fucking laughingstock should not get trap door'd imo unless perkins or harris are ready to commit.

I’d add Brooks to that list

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

This might be the kid who the anonymous SEC assistant said he couldn’t believe we offered.  His offer list isn’t very good.  But other things being equal we should honor the offer.  I believe he was recruiter by Terry Joseph so if that guy is leaving it would be at least somewhat justifiable. 

thought that was Cain the WR we took from there last cycle?

25 minutes ago, Sarks Personal Bartender said:

I don’t like this.

I like the implication (that we may get someone better) but this is brutal. Dude wanted to be a Horn.

Just so you understand, we are paying players a minimum of 100k and some position groups will be 150k a year or higher. People will get processed now. This is effectively a professional team now. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Just so you understand, we are paying players a minimum of 100k and some position groups will be 150k a year or higher. People will get processed now. This is effectively a professional team now. 

second quarter of the kansas game has me more in the "this is a fucking 8th grade team" state of mind but okay.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Yea. If college gets too close to being the NFL, I'll lose interest.

No, you won't. You happen to root for a team that has more money/brand profitability than any of its peers. Chances are your favorite team will benefit from this new environment more than any other team. 

Once we start winning, it'll be tough to ignore as a fan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He got processed. Welcome to NIL. 

Thats kinda messed up, not sure we can get away with that sort of thing in the programs current state. Theres a reason Saban can trap door anyone he likes yet still be welcomed at the school tied to said trap dooring.

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yea. If college gets too close to being the NFL, I'll lose interest.

Its already there.

11 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

No, you won't. You happen to root for a team that has more money/brand profitability than any of its peers. Chances are your favorite team will benefit from this new environment more than any other team. 

Pretty much this. I don't like the NFL and I don't like where college football is now (not that I don't agree with paying players - they are definitely entitled). But its big business and Texas is the biggest so while you may not like it, the fact of the matter is we should be pretty dominant going forward. Maybe not Alabama levels, but we should be in the discussion for the SEC championship and Playoffs every season going forward. I'll give them a pass in 2022 with the enormous roster turnover and likely several freshmen playing on the lines. There's a new world order and no other program is better suited to take advantage than Texas. So even if you don't like college football as much, at least enjoy Texas being in the best position to take advantage. You (and all of us) deserve it after the last 11 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  Also to consider:

1. We, presumably, still have a private school kicker from Austin and a long snapper committed.  How are the first moves not asking those guys to take a walk-on spot instead of getting scholarships year 1?

2. Lewis goes to a high school that produces a lot of talent from New Orleans.  I understand that won’t be our primary recruiting territory, and doing it to an in-state kid is probably worse.  But I don’t think it’s the best place to make enemies, either.  

3.  Do we even really feel that good about Harris or Brooks?  I guess we will find out soon.  

He probably shouldn’t have ever been offered - his offer list at the time was pretty gross - but this is an unfortunate way to deal with it.  

How did they deal with it? I honestly haven't seen anything confirming he was processed. If so, that's the nature of the beast now. These are no longer amateur athletes, they are professionals. With that comes a business approach. Gotta take the bad with the good.

57 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

You have no notion of how I think or feel. I don't watch pro sports. My team's record may benefit, but if I'm watching mercenaries with no real connection to the University I will indeed lose interest. Time will tell.

These changes were inevitable the same as Austin growing from a two story town to a metropolis. Doesn't mean I have to like it no matter how well the change has gone.

So fuck off telling me what I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

What sucks is it’s 1 day before early signing. Perhaps he shut it down and now he has to scramble to find a landing spot. And I. Agree he held true to his word during this dogshit season  it does suck but early dose of sometimes life is a mother trucker I just wish we didn’t wait until the 23rd hour 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You have no notion of how I think or feel. I don't watch pro sports. My team's record may benefit, but if I'm watching mercenaries with no real connection to the University I will indeed lose interest. Time will tell.

These changes were inevitable the same as Austin growing from a two story town to a metropolis. Doesn't mean I have to like it no matter how well the change has gone.

You think you’re a tough guy….

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agreed.  Also to consider:

1. We, presumably, still have a private school kicker from Austin and a long snapper committed.  How are the first moves not asking those guys to take a walk-on spot instead of getting scholarships year 1?

2. Lewis goes to a high school that produces a lot of talent from New Orleans.  I understand that won’t be our primary recruiting territory, and doing it to an in-state kid is probably worse.  But I don’t think it’s the best place to make enemies, either.  

3.  Do we even really feel that good about Harris or Brooks?  I guess we will find out soon.  

He probably shouldn’t have ever been offered - his offer list at the time was pretty gross - but this is an unfortunate way to deal with it.  

Roster construction has to be accounted for as well. If you think you have too many at db, asking a kicker to walk on doesn’t solve that problem. There are 85 traditional scholarships, can’t be using them on players you think won’t ever see the field over others at the position.  And sometimes those calls have to be made, as not everyone is on your schedule. 

25 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What sucks is it’s 1 day before early signing. Perhaps he shut it down and now he has to scramble to find a landing spot. And I. Agree he held true to his word during this dogshit season  it does suck but early dose of sometimes life is a mother trucker I just wish we didn’t wait until the 23rd hour 

This is actually where the early signing day works in his favor as he has a LOT of time to find another landing spot. It's not like he's being dumped in February. So this is anyting but the "23rd hour". He has 2 months - not one day. 

Yeah iirc the Harbaugh one mentioned was on the eve of February’s signing day. It’s still sad, I’m sad for him, but it’s necessary if we want to land Brooks and/or Harris.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen to D. Brown or Trevell though. Those guys have just been too active recruiting.

54 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Lol so once we start winning you're going to stop watching cfb, even though you've watched this shit-show faithfully over the last decade-plus? Look, I get the “purist” sentiment, but come the fuck on.

You’ll still be here like I said, and I’ll be sure to remind you on occasion.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is actually where the early signing day works in his favor as he has a LOT of time to find another landing spot. It's not like he's being dumped in February. So this is anyting but the "23rd hour". He has 2 months - not one day. 

Most everyone signs on early signing day. He’s going to have a super hard time finding a school to take him, all schools have their scholarship allotments filled.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Most everyone signs on early signing day. He’s going to have a super hard time finding a school to take him, all schools have their scholarship allotments filled.

Not really. Schools that were holding spots open for guys making ESD decisions suddenly have to reset their boards. Mid-tier players at need positions can become incredibly sought-after.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Helobious said:

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not really. Schools that were holding spots open for guys making ESD decisions suddenly have to reset their boards. Mid-tier players at need positions can become incredibly sought-after.

yeah, texifornia is dead on.  a mid-level guy like him, there are plenty of spots at the memphis or louisiana lafayettes of the world.

wish him the best wherever he lands and wish it didn't go down quite like this.

43 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think "Champ" Lewis planned on being an early enrollee, so now he's gonna need to get busy finding another school pretty quickly... 

13 minutes ago, sidis said:

yeah, texifornia is dead on.  a mid-level guy like him, there are plenty of spots at the memphis or louisiana lafayettes of the world.

wish him the best wherever he lands and wish it didn't go down quite like this.

Might even be several B12 schools that give "Champ" a look too...