2018 NBA awards

Machinator

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh my god. I don't like to wish ill on people, but please let a coach get fired the same year he wins COTY.

I really think that will be the case.  Gonna be awkward

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

Maybe it will force the NBA to pull the plug on having their regular season awards show in fucking June.

"And now, the 2017-2018 coach of the year winner is... ex-Raptors coach, Dwane Casey. Dwane couldn't make it tonight, but he has asked that we leave the trophy with Masai Ujiri, to be immediately deposited in his ass."

It might literally give Jeff Van Gundy a stroke.

Edited by aggie08

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Maybe it will force the NBA to pull the plug on having their regular season awards show in fucking June.

"And now, the 2017-2018 coach of the year winner is... ex-Raptors coach, Dwane Casey. Dwane couldn't make it tonight, but he has asked that we leave the trophy with Masai Ujiri, to be immediately deposited in his ass."

That might actually get me to watch that shit show.

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

😀 Well, that's one way to spice up some off season ratings...

35 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i don't like the awards show thing either.  i liked it better when guys won their awards and got to make a quick speech to their home fans right before tip off of a playoff game.

all sports have gone for the made for TV specials.   It fucking sucks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Oh my god. I don't like to wish ill on people, but please let a coach get fired the same year he wins COTY.

What halfway decent coach would Toronto be able to get if they knew that's the way they treat their coaches?  I'm sure it's already a pain in the ass living in Toronto having to go through immigration 82 times a year.  

On 5/9/2018 at 5:05 PM, aggie08 said:

On 5/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, d2o said:

It might be your lucky year.

22 hours ago, d2o said:

Prolly the easiest all-rookie vote ever and still someone managed to fuck it up.    How do you find five rookies better than Tatum and put him on the 2nd team?

Did I misread something? Tatum is on the first team.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Did I misread something? Tatum is on the first team.

Mitchell and Simmons were unanimous.   Tatum got 99/100 first team votes.    He should have been unanimous as well.   There were not 5 rookies better than him.   It's minor but still valid.

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

He definitely should have been. A pretty ridiculous oversight:

If the voting was done in January, I'd agree.  His--and the entire team's--effort for most of 2018 left a lot to be desired.  Even Draymond's inclusion is a little bit of a courtesy for how good everyone knows he is when he actually cares.

20 hours ago, HookEm said:

You could make an argument that Durant should have been on one of those All-Defensive teams.

Really surprised he didnt make either team.    Especially with how much his defense was being pumped up early in the season.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If the voting was done in January, I'd agree.  His--and the entire team's--effort for most of 2018 left a lot to be desired.  Even Draymond's inclusion is a little bit of a courtesy for how good everyone knows he is when he actually cares.

I get it, but guys like Gobert and Embiid played an average of what, 55 games? We all know that GS was cruising/experimenting/looking ahead to the playoffs, so some leeway should be afforded imo. 

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I get it, but guys like Gobert and Embiid played an average of what, 55 games? We all know that GS was cruising/experimenting/looking ahead to the playoffs, so some leeway should be afforded imo. 

Valid point.  Gobert is going to win DPOY on the strength of those 55 games because there's no particularly strong alternative. I'd like to see the voting.  I'm guessing the KD was behind Giannis (and maybe even George) in the forward slots as well.

Edited by aggie08

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So I'm not a huge Portland fan and this may be a dumb question, but why did Lillard get so many 1st team votes?

Steph missed 30 games, and Lillard's team overachieved, while Westbrook's underachieved.

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So I'm not a huge Portland fan and this may be a dumb question, but why did Lillard get so many 1st team votes?

His stretch of games in March secured him the spot. I predicted as much when it was happening.

It's absolutely regarded that Lillard is on the first team instead of Giannis.  I'm sure the voting had to do with strict positions, i.e. KD and LBJ took a lot of the Forward votes, but the NBA is pretty much positionless at this point. Put Giannis on the first team. 

The idea that you have to select 2 Guards, 2 Forwards, and a Center is silly. Most teams don't play with a Center and instead have 3-4 wings on the floor at once.

• Like 1

I haven't watched any Spurs game, so excuse the ignorance.  Is Dejounte Murray a better defender than Rubio, Klay, or CP3?  Not that they are more deserving but I just need to gauge his defensive level compared to players that I know.

Edited by Chapo

42 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I haven't watched any Spurs game, so excuse the ignorance.  Is Dejounte Murray a better defender than Rubio, Klay, or CP3?  Not that they are more deserving but I just need to gauge his defensive level compared to players that I know.

I dunno. Honestly, I'm not sure he's worthy of being second team all defense. I think the thing that stands out for him is his uncanny rebounding from the point guard position. 

And whoever gave Dwight Howard a vote on any all-NBA team should have his voting privileges revoked immediately. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I dunno. Honestly, I'm not sure he's worthy of being second team all defense. I think the thing that stands out for him is his uncanny rebounding from the point guard position. 

And whoever gave Dwight Howard a vote on any all-NBA team should have his voting privileges revoked immediately. 

It is probably the Russian Chinese voters

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

He had a great yr and like mentioned his team wasn't expected to be good and ended up #3 in the west.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

This.   I knew Murray was improved this season but I didnt realize he was even playing enough for consideration.

This is going to be two years out of two where the guy who wins MVP does so unceremoniously because if the timing of the stupid thing. Imagine if the Heisman voting had taken place already but they waited until after the Rose Bowl to announce that Reggie Bush had won.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 5/24/2018 at 3:19 PM, d2o said:

This.   I knew Murray was improved this season but I didnt realize he was even playing enough for consideration.

Many spurs fans were also surprised, but he was a starter for most of the season.  I assume the voters saw the crazy rebound numbers on the stat sheet.  I also thought he got the raw end of the calls being a second year player and all, so hopefully this will get him a little more respect next season.  

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It'd be pretty funny from our point of view.  I agree though.  Should just announce all awards during the first round.  Give it to the player at a home game.  And call them what they are: "regular season mvp", etc.

That's how it always was.    Allow the winners to get some love in front of their home crowd.   This made for TV shit is some real BS and completely detracts from the awards.    The NBA usually makes very good moves.    This was not one of them.

• 4 weeks later...