2021 CFB Polls/Rankings

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was wondering if we’d sneak in at 25 or so. Kinda happy we did not. 
would be interested in some voter rationale for the delta between Texas and aggy. I know the answer and it’s laziness but would be fun to see them try to explain it otherwise. 

Yep. It's bullshit and polls suck ass, but the slight should provide some very good motivation.

I went to be ranked as high as possible. The idea is to go to the CFP. Being off the radar isn’t helpful with that. 
This is a really really really unlikely goal,  it a 12-1 Texas team that started the year ranked top 10 would have a much better chance than one that’s out of the rankings headed into October. 
next year in the SEC I suppose it doesn’t matter but nothing good comes of being outside the rankings right now imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was wondering if we’d sneak in at 25 or so. Kinda happy we did not.   would be interested in some voter rationale for the delta between Texas and aggy. I know the answer and it’s laziness but would be fun to see them try to explain it otherwise. 

#13 for aggy is laughable... but keeps them near the top of the aggy rollercoaster for a little longer...  😋

image.png

• Hook 'Em 5

As of now, we have 6 ranked teams on our schedule - LA, OU, OSU, Baylor, ISU, and KSU. Make that 7 if you count arky (they were unranked we played them). Take care of business and the polls will follow.

Edit: that's from espn. It looks like they haven't updated for today's polls.

Edited by Mikey4
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here's the full AP

AP Top 25 - 9/26

RK
TEAM
REC PTS
TREND
AlabamaAlabama(58)
4-0 1546
-
GeorgiaGeorgia(4)
4-0 1492
-
3 4-0 1411
-
4 4-0 1283
5 4-0 1277
-
6 4-0 1212
7 3-0 1154
8 4-0 1094
9 4-0 1076
10 3-1 1019
11 3-1 1005
12 3-0 852
BYUBYU
4-0 748
14 4-0 677
15 3-1 651
16 4-0 613
17 4-0 581
18 4-1 415
19 4-0 341
NR
20 3-1 316
21 4-0 233
NR
22 3-1 197
23 3-1 145
NR
24 4-0 142
NR
25 2-2 138

Complete Rankings

Others receiving votes: Texas 131, Maryland 91, San Diego State 57, Boston College 55, SMU 44, Kentucky 26, Iowa State 25, LSU 24, Arizona State 23, Virginia Tech 20, Wisconsin 13, Rutgers 6, Kansas State 5, UTSA 4, Oregon State 4, Louisville 3, North Carolina 1

Dropped from rankings: Iowa State 14, Wisconsin 18, North Carolina 21, Kansas State 25

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean the fact that Aggy is STILL 13 or so and Texas isn’t even ranked is laughable.

Yes you can say Texas looked worse against Pig, but that was a true road game with a freshman QB playing in his first real road game as well.

Aggy was embarrassingly bad on offense. Worse than Texas was.

• Hook 'Em 1

Coaches poll is garbage with OU at 4, aggy 13 and Clemson 19.  

they are the worst about not paying attention to what’s actually happening on the field.   

There’s at least 5 teams below OU that would be favored at a neutral site, I see maybe 2-3 teams below aggy that I think they would beat. 

clemson with all their talent but shitty QB play and 2-2 record should not be getting the benefit of any doubts right now. 

If we were to win out, the media narrative would be Sark is a mastermind and grew a terrible team into a CFP contender by making the hard call to bench Card.

Not a very likely outcome as what surfaced against pig is going to pop up at least a few times before the season is over. I’d expect Patterson/Campbell to exploit the offensive holes and Riley to exploit the defensive holes.

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I think one you say aggy was playing with their back up QB. Not saying their rank is correct. They should have dropped a few more IMO

And they will be all or most of the year. So adjust their ranking accordingly. 

also arky had to play their backup qb and that’s the only reason the loss wasn’t worse. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, txindep said:

Baylor beat then #14 Iowa State yesterday. 2-2 ISU also lost to (now #5) Iowa, but ISU’s going to be a tough out as season progresses, too much senior talent not to be. 

Except for the fact that they are schematically boring and their QB is more overrated than anyone this side of Spencer Rattler and they are also unathletic sure, that’s a reall hard team to beat. 
They are terrible and we will win convincingly. 

The only gripe I have is all the talk all offseason about how Louisiana was a really tough team and they were going to beat us because they returned everyone from a 10-1 team and blah blah blah.

Now apparently we haven't beaten anyone. I mean I was all over this board telling everyone Louisiana was overrated and we were going to cover easily but the inconsistency is dumb. Louisiana isn't that great but they're certainly better than anyone A&M has beaten.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Agree that pre-season polls make all of the early week polls useless.  But Clemson being ranked ahead of us with 2 losses while we're 3-1 with the only loss to a top 10 team is just fucking stupid.

Exactly. It's why we have aggy at 13/15, Clemson still ranked, etc, etc. There shouldn't even be a poll at all until about week 3 or so, but $$$. Preseason polls are laughable at best. Clemson & aggy are perfect examples of why. Neither one of them should have been ranked anywhere near their preseason spot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Also...

Colorado offense versus A&M - 69 plays for 288 yards, 4.17 yards per play. Pretty good showing for A&M, they do have a good defense

Colorado offense versus their other two FBS opponents Minnesota and Arizona State - 106 plays for 313 yards, 2.95 yards per play

They have a good defense but don't see much reason to think they're great yet. They still have a bunch of liabilities running around in the secondary.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

4-0 and beat a (then) ranked team vs 3-1 with a blowout of Tech

Who cares

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Baylor is being rewarded for playing Texas State and Texas Southern.

Just more reasons the polls suck. The typical level of thought & effort put into the voters' decisions is probably just thinking back to last year, looking at current records, & not even actually looking at who these teams have played.

Clemson is getting the benefit of the doubt because they’ve been a juggernaut fit the past half decade and have recruited at an elite level. Texas isn’t because they haven’t and people’s primary memory is getting punked at Arkansas.

It is what it is. There’s like two votes between the two teams and it’s not worth getting worked up over. If Texas beats TCU with any sort of decisiveness they’ll certainly be ranked going to Dallas. If they lose it confirms they shouldn’t be.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Exactly. It's why we have aggy at 13/15, Clemson still ranked, etc, etc. There shouldn't even be a poll at all until about week 3 or so, but $$$. Preseason polls are laughable at best. Clemson & aggy are perfect examples of why. Neither one of them should have been ranked anywhere near their preseason spot.
Reddit.com/r/selfawarewolves

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Clemson is getting the benefit of the doubt because they’ve been a juggernaut fit the past half decade and have recruited at an elite level. Texas isn’t because they haven’t and people’s primary memory is getting punked at Arkansas.

It is what it is. There’s like two votes between the two teams and it’s not worth getting worked up over. If Texas beats TCU with any sort of decisiveness they’ll certainly be ranked going to Dallas. If they lose it confirms they shouldn’t be.

Yup. And I'm fine without a week of Fat Pat rolling out his "playing a ranked Texas team, no one respects us, etc etc" speil.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I went to be ranked as high as possible. The idea is to go to the CFP. Being off the radar isn’t helpful with that. 
This is a really really really unlikely goal,  it a 12-1 Texas team that started the year ranked top 10 would have a much better chance than one that’s out of the rankings headed into October. 
next year in the SEC I suppose it doesn’t matter but nothing good comes of being outside the rankings right now imo. 

This is exactly how we should all feel. The “I don’t want to be ranked” crowd is idiotic. It’ll be much harder to make up ground against overrated teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, Iowa and Florida if they’ve got a 20 spot head start on us. I thought we’d be 22 this week, 17 next week and 11 after beating OU. Instead, we’ll be lucky to be top 20 after beating OU without many more impressive wins left on our schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, txindep said:

Baylor beat then #14 Iowa State yesterday. 2-2 ISU also lost to (now #5) Iowa, but ISU’s going to be a tough out as season progresses, too much senior talent not to be. 

Baylor also beat Texas State in their opener by 9.  Texas State lost  to the powerhouses known as  Incarnate Word last week by 8 and  yesterday Eastern Michigan by 38.     Baylor is overrated hot garbage just like aggy. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

This is exactly how we should all feel. The “I don’t want to be ranked” crowd is idiotic. It’ll be much harder to make up ground against overrated teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, Iowa and Florida if they’ve got a 20 spot head start on us. I thought we’d be 22 this week, 17 next week and 11 after beating OU. Instead, we’ll be lucky to be top 20 after beating OU without many more impressive wins left on our schedule. 

we are not making the playoffs in year 1

find chalkboard

write this 1000 times

show me 11-1 and we're in no matter what anyone else does because bomc

but we're not winning out so this consternation is a waste of pixels

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we are not making the playoffs in year 1

find chalkboard

write this 1000 times

show me 11-1 and we're in no matter what anyone else does because bomc

but we're not winning out so this consternation is a waste of pixels

I mean, yeah, agreed. But if we started in the top 10 and won the conference at 11-2 we be smack dab in the middle of the conversation. 
I sort of half way expect to be 10-2

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

If we go 11-2 we will be in the conversation regardless of where our preseason ranking is. This is fucking Texas. We shouldn’t be ranked right now and the hand wringing about it is dumb. 

What??? Why??? Why shouldn’t we be ranked? You think aggy, Clemson, Auburn, Baylor, NC State are better than us?

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Let the disrespect continue it will be easier for Sark to motivate and foster his culture.  We must all become Vince Young and HATE losing more than we love winning.  Sark was right about that.  Vince HATED to lose. 

Yep. He was absolutely right. I've been lucky (or unlucky?) enough to compete with and against pros in 3 sports, and I can tell you that's exactly the trait that they all had in common. Losing is the worst thing imaginable. Winning is the only remotely acceptable outcome, preferably while crushing your opponent in every imaginable way.

• Hook 'Em 1