2021 CFB Polls/Rankings

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You know things aren’t going well for you when you have to result to post count shit talk. 

lmfaooooo of course the loser with NINE FUCKING THOUSAND POSTS takes offense it

Edited by SEC
  • Fuck You 2

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Any neutral observer would agree they had the more impressive resume. It wasn’t a particularly close contest. The better argument would have been to make it over Florida, but the BCS got the matchup correct. 

I am not a neutral observer though. I am filled with hate and loathing for Sooners.

Somehow what happened in 2008 made me more enraged and bitter than all of Charlie Strong's seasons combined. Complete with Switzer announcing the final rankings.

By the way how the fuck do the supposed "neutral observers" think Switzer needed to be involved somehow? Really fucking neutral. Those observers can all go fuck themselves to.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m taking about a situation where there’s 3 or 4 teams with same records for the 4th slot. Why wouldn’t you want every possible advantage. 
this team should be ranked 20th right now. It’s not a crime against humanity that we aren’t ranked or anything, but it’s an undeserved slight. 

It's a respect factor with the media. They enjoy building us up and quick af to tear us down to to shit under an ant's ass.

All this talk about how Texas doesn't deserve to be ranked is just silly.

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

As is usually the case, people have a feeling of what they think a ranked team should look like, but would have a very difficult time coming up with 25 teams who have had better seasons to date than Texas. Just like people whining about a team in the Top 10 but can't really come up with ten other teams that they think are "that good."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh okay. Just keep moving the goalposts and clarifying your stupid fucking comment for us. Are you talking about week 12 when we received 14 first place AP votes? Help me out here. 

No one was ever playing for that title but us and SC. Who almost lost to ND and played like shit against Fresno State. Didn't seem to hurt their standing in the polls that much. 

No. He’s talking about late October when we went up to Stillwater and fucked around and got down 4 TD’s to Ok State. Va Tech was undefeated, with a soft closing schedule, and people were talking them up and running bullshit pieces like “maybe VTech is more deserving than Texas.”  While we had beaten Ohio State at night in the shoe, OU was warmed over garbage and it was by far the weakest big 12 year in forever. I think that we only played 2 ranked teams all year?

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

The rankings don't make a shit until the very fucking end, even then it only matters for the teams trying to get into the playoff.

Win the big12, everything else will fall into place.

Actually they don’t make a shit then either. Only rankings that matter are CFB Playoff committee. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Actually they don’t make a shit then either. Only rankings that matter are CFB Playoff committee. 

Totally and completely right- the rankings don’t matter at all. I mean, the CFPB selection committee is a bunch of logic living Vulcans who would never let the fact that team A is ranked 4th while team B is ranked 7th influence their perception at all. 
Look, I’m not saying it’s dispositive but being behind the curve in the rankings all year long is a handicap and not a benefit. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Totally and completely right- the rankings don’t matter at all. I mean, the CFPB selection committee is a bunch of logic living Vulcans who would never let the fact that team A is ranked 4th while team B is ranked 7th influence their perception at all. 
Look, I’m not saying it’s dispositive but being behind the curve in the rankings all year long is a handicap and not a benefit. 

But it really doesn’t matter unless you’re a Baylor, g5, or similar. Teams like Texas, USC, and etc shoot up polls fast when they start ripping off wins.  If we win the next 3 we’re likely top 10

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

But it really doesn’t matter unless you’re a Baylor, g5, or similar. Teams like Texas, USC, and etc shoot up polls fast when they start ripping off wins.  If we win the next 3 we’re likely top 10

This is a top 20 team. It irritates me that it’s not ranked. What you say may play out (and probably almost certainly will if we win our last 11 games of the season, most convincingly, to finish 12-1. I’m more talking about a scenario not that cut and dried. Where you need every advantage possible. 
there’s also the publicity and perception advantage that comes from being ranked. High light placement. On the scroll all day long. Fresh in recruits minds. On the ESPN tracker. That shit is all a a benefit of being ranked that we should have. We will have it if we beat TCU. Will we remain ranked if we lose a close one to OU? 
who know. I get why people want to punish texas. It’s not logical or fair but it is. I don’t get why a certain percentage of our fan base tacitly approves of that but so be it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No. He’s talking about late October when we went up to Stillwater and fucked around and got down 4 TD’s to Ok State. Va Tech was undefeated, with a soft closing schedule, and people were talking them up and running bullshit pieces like “maybe VTech is more deserving than Texas.”  While we had beaten Ohio State at night in the shoe, OU was warmed over garbage and it was by far the weakest big 12 year in forever. I think that we only played 2 ranked teams all year?

I don’t remember that but who knows, a lot of blowhards say a lot of bull shit. All I know is Texas largest deficit to Ok State in that game was 19, 16 at halftime. Texas outscored Ok State 35-0 in the 2nd half.

Texas and USC were the only two programs in 2005 to receive 1st place votes in the AP poll. Texas was also the only other team to be ranked #1 by the BCS during the regular season other than USC.

I mean sure there was always disdain from the other coaches in the Big 12 that would shaft Texas in the coaches poll. Other than that, no major poll ever wavered from USC #1 and Texas #2

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We were never going to get screwed in ‘04 or ‘05. Mack’s politicking had no impact or worsened the situation. We didn’t get screwed in ‘08. Sure, Leach was a fucking moron, but that has remained consistent for the entirety of his life. We didn’t get screwed out of a title spot. We were in a 3-way tie with a team that was the #2 team in the country and the other team that beat that #2 team by 50. If we don’t lose to that #2 team, there is no 3-way tie. OU deserved to go ahead of us. 

Head north, webelo!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well yeah to make the playoff we are behind but since we play in this chicken shit stupid fucking conference that means we will have to play the other best team in the conference twice. Everyone looks like they suck in the whole conference so I assume that means it will be blowU.

If we win out with two wins over blowU we are probably in the playoff anyway. Especially if we are hanging huge points and blowing out people we are supposed to (no scares against inferior teams).

We shouldn't really be gunning for the playoff so quick anyway but I guess anything's possible.

And about the committee, the number next to the name isn't really as much as the name. The name brand and money is what gets teams in the playoff. Texas will get the benefit of the doubt there. Undefeated little guys don't get in, like a Cincinnati last year. Aggy got left out because they are aggy.

If Florida beats Georgia in a close one, and then somehow beats Bama in the rematch in the SEC title game, I could see people calling for all three of them to be in the playoff though lol, which would be bullshit.

Anyway, I think behind "behind" in the rankings is good for the team, they need to play with a chip on their shoulder and earn the respect.

The reality is, more people hate us than love us.  We all know the BOMC is complete bullshit and it's the opposite of reality.  People who root for teams not named Texas have to hear about us being "back" every year only to have us shit the bed on national TV like clockwork.  Because of that, outsiders/pollsters are hesitant to give us any sort of credit because they expect us to get our balls blown off the next time we sniff success.  Baylor doesn't have this problem because no one gives a shit about Baylor and there is no preconceived opinion of them.

That being said, there's no way a 1-loss Texas team doesn't make the playoffs, so it doesn't make a shit this year.  If we get to that point, the narrative will be that we are undefeated and a completely different team with the change at QB.  Just win.  Ou sux.  Etc etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Virginia_Tech_Hokies_football_team

VA Tech had a ton of hype and had beaten 3 top 15 teams plus a West Virginia team that won the big East and finished 11-1. 
after we had our scare against Ok State they had game day Visiting for a matchup of #3 va tech against #5 Miami. 
if you look at their schedule and ours it’s arguable that they played a tougher schedule. The national media was warming. Up the hype machine to make “whose the real #2” an actual question. 
not saying we would have lost out but it was a thing being talked about headed into November. 
outside of OSU win didn’t have a big win all season prior to the title game. OU was 8-4, tech ended the year barely ranked and that was it as far as quality teams we played. Colorado was viewed as shitty and wasn’t going to help in the title game. VaTech gagged as was their usual back then. They were clemsoning before that was a thing. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Assman said:

The reality is, more people hate us than love us.  We all know the BOMC is complete bullshit and it's the opposite of reality.  People who root for teams not named Texas have to hear about us being "back" every year only to have us shit the bed on national TV like clockwork.  Because of that, outsiders/pollsters are hesitant to give us any sort of credit because they expect us to get our balls blown off the next time we sniff success.  Baylor doesn't have this problem because no one gives a shit about Baylor and there is no preconceived opinion of them.

That being said, there's no way a 1-loss Texas team doesn't make the playoffs, so it doesn't make a shit this year.  If we get to that point, the narrative will be that we are undefeated and a completely different team with the change at QB.  Just win.  Ou sux.  Etc etc.

They hate us cuz they anus

Big10 has devolved into a glorified version of the MAC, with just slightly better athletes.  Iowa struggles with CO St, Minnesota loses to Bowling Green, a 30 point dog .  Michigan barely beats some Rutgers squad.

With Clemson declining/rebuilding, Pac12 withering away, tOSU getting only a few top recruites, when UT&OU join the SEC - The SEC will win 10-12 titles in a row and Texas will be there 2-3 times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Big10 has devolved into a glorified version of the MAC, with just slightly better athletes.  Iowa struggles with CO St, Minnesota loses to Bowling Green, a 30 point dog .  Michigan barely beats some Rutgers squad.

With Clemson declining/rebuilding, Pac12 withering away, tOSU getting only a few top recruites, when UT&OU join the SEC - The SEC will win 10-12 titles in a row and Texas will be there 2-3 times. 

Rep for username

• Hook 'Em 1

Self Awareness. The rest of the football world thinks many Texas fans lack self awareness.

I know many Baylor folks. Friends. They are mostly full of shit, full of themselves, full of arrogance when it comes to football and their knowledge. With Aggies that’s a given. I’ve known associates of Tech be completely full of it.

So basically the same as what you run into here. Texas is just held to a different standard. The sheer number of vocal tshirt fans exceeds those of schools so it’s reasonable to assume you’ll hear from a higher number of Texas fans.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Actually this fucko doesn't know what he's talking about in the slightest. We can pivot and discuss this between us but please don't enable his raging idiocy. 

Even IF Va Tech edged Miami (who they lost to by 20) and edged FSU (who they lost to in the ACC title game) and assuming everything else held true - I still don't think they leap us. 

First, after beating Va Tech Miami dropped a game to Ga Tech. Our best win (tOSU) would have been better than Va Tech's best win at that point. 

Second, we kicked the absolute ever living dog shit out of Colorado in the B12CCG. Give Va Tech a 7 point win or whatever against FSU instead of a loss - an FSU team that was 7-4 at that point and not any better than CU. Anyone that watches those two games (one of them completely hypothetical) and comes away thinking "Yeah, I'd like to see the Hokies against SC instead of Texas" is maybe a bigger dumbass than the numbskull that started this stupid debate.

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Virginia_Tech_Hokies_football_team

VA Tech had a ton of hype and had beaten 3 top 15 teams plus a West Virginia team that won the big East and finished 11-1. 
after we had our scare against Ok State they had game day Visiting for a matchup of #3 va tech against #5 Miami. 
if you look at their schedule and ours it’s arguable that they played a tougher schedule. The national media was warming. Up the hype machine to make “whose the real #2” an actual question. 
not saying we would have lost out but it was a thing being talked about headed into November. 
outside of OSU win didn’t have a big win all season prior to the title game. OU was 8-4, tech ended the year barely ranked and that was it as far as quality teams we played. Colorado was viewed as shitty and wasn’t going to help in the title game. VaTech gagged as was their usual back then. They were clemsoning before that was a thing. 

As for this - see above. 

Cheers, Wulaw. 

With all due respect those are weak arguments. First, how does an undefeated #2 team not belong?  Second, if they don’t belong, our road loss is to a team that doesn’t belong. I don’t care about past talk saying MOV shouldn’t matter. In a beauty contest, it matters a LOT. 

You don’t come off as buying any opinion not of your own thinking.

Here’s some other points. OU schedule was based on TCU and Cincy versus Arky for us.

However, we easily had a more difficult Big 12 schedule. We played Mizzou and Tech at their place. OU had Tech after the biggest game in program history. And had them at home. OU may have even had a bye leading up to it.

We made top 15 teams four weeks in a row. Lost to the 4th in a night game on the road. Also of note, our Arky game was pushed back due to Hurricane. So we played 7 or more straight weeks, which again likely impacted our freshness.

So again OU got the nod for the Big 12 game based on a mountain west and big east juggernaut even though their conference strength of schedule was lesser than ours. And we beat them head to head. Keep in mind they got two bs roughing the kicker penalties to extend drives. That’s equivalent to two turnovers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What you say may play out (and probably almost certainly will if we win our last 11 games of the season, most convincingly, to finish 12-1.

That sounds awesome. 12-1 with a new coaching staff is a pipe dream. Show me where this has ever happened. Be happy with 9 wins and anything above it is icing on the cake. These are Herman’s players.

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Show me where this has ever happened.

Um. Within the last 5 years: Oklahoma, Ohio State... 

I guess if you mean totally different staff then maybe you're right. Or following a coach getting canned rather than resigning.

But shit we ain't going 12-1. I could maybe see 11-2.

As of right this moment, we should be ranked in the top 25 purely because our resume is better than Clemson's at this point. Hell, I'd argue our 3 blowout wins are better than a 10-7 victory against CO. We have scored more in the past 2 games than aggy has scored all season. I really don't care if we are ranked or not though. If we beat TCU and OU, we will probably shoot up to top 15 anyway. Rankings before week 5 are stupid anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

We haven’t done anything to prove we deserve any ranking.

I mean, we beat a Top 25 team and put up 70 in pretty much 3 quarters against a 3-0 conference opponent.  Then 58-0 against a bad team.  Casey's scoring drive % is astronomical.

Now do aggy: 3 wins against bad teams, including a 10-7 thriller against 1-3 Colorado.  What have they proven?

What has Clemson proven?  They won against a MEAC team and eeked by a 2-2 Georgia Tech team.

You could play the "what have they done to deserve a ranking?" game with a lot of Top 25 teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Um. Within the last 5 years: Oklahoma, Ohio State... 

I guess if you mean totally different staff then maybe you're right. Or following a coach getting canned rather than resigning.

But shit we ain't going 12-1. I could maybe see 11-2.

Those were unique circumstances with both coaches retiring but technically youre correct.  My point was coaches who got fired. 

There were two decent arguments for Texas. The first was that Texas Tech obviously didn't belong and Texas beat Oklahoma. That's a valid argument. The other was that Texas won on neutral ground and lost on the road. Oklahoma lost on neutral ground and won at home. Tech won at home and lost on the road. Texas wins that comparison.
You also have to remember that it was around that time that there was lots of talk in the media that margin of victory was being given too much weight and it should have been about winning, not blowing people out. In fact they ordered the computers to stop considering margin of victory. But then OU goes out and mercilessly holds their way to a run of 60 point games and suddenly that matters again.

Big12 refs fucked us against Tech. They refused to call holding all game long against them unless it was during an offsetting penalty. They were Johnny on the spot for when our line held though.

I believe there was a picture with 3 holds all uncalled, including a choke hold where Orakpo was injured.

Any neutral observer who actually watched the game would have seen that and discounted that “loss.”

Fuck this conference.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Look at this tool's AP ballot: https://collegepolltracker.com/football/pollster/ben-portnoy/2021/week-5

The highlights lowlights

8. Aggy

11. Arkansas

14. Clemson

19. Iowa State

24. Wisconsin

25. North Carolina

ben-portnoy.jpg

Anyone who has aggy ranked better than Arkansas, when Arkansas is undefeated, dominated the head-to-head at a neutral site, plus has another Top 25 win (us), should be forced to explain themselves or lose their vote.

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--tQTrb4tK--/t_Resized%20Artwork/c_fit,g_north_west,h_954,w_954/co_000000,e_outline:48/co_000000,e_outline:inner_fill:48/co_ffffff,e_outline:48/co_ffffff,e_outline:inner_fill:48/co_bbbbbb,e_outline:3:1000/c_mpad,g_center,h_1260,w_1260/b_rgb:eeeeee/c_limit,f_auto,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1560635924/production/designs/5076124_0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Look at this tool's AP ballot: https://collegepolltracker.com/football/pollster/ben-portnoy/2021/week-5

The highlights lowlights

8. Aggy

11. Arkansas

14. Clemson

19. Iowa State

24. Wisconsin

25. North Carolina

ben-portnoy.jpg

He should literally be horsewhipped.  Is this the deal where you let the chicken take a shit on a piece of paper with a bunch of schools names on it and assign a ranking in that way?

As is usually the case, people have a feeling of what they think a ranked team should look like, but would have a very difficult time coming up with 25 teams who have had better seasons to date than Texas. Just like people whining about a team in the Top 10 but can't really come up with ten other teams that they think are "that good."
That doesnt mean we dont think others in the poll dont deserve to be there. I see at least 10 teams on the list we could likely beat, maybe 4-5 mudholes on a good day. I think what most of us are saying is it dont make a shit at this point. Of course if we win this week and still dont get in there may be a problem somewhere..

Don’t know why I come off that way. I know that season inside and out so it’s hard to sway me. Your post doesn’t. Our gauntlet included Mizzou at home, not on the road. TCU/Cincy versus Arkansas, a team we absolutely crushed and one that finished 5-7?  TCU finished #7 that year and was 11-2. Cincy #17 and was 11-3 with an Orange Bowl appearance. 

I did not intend to infer that we played Mizzou at Mizzou, but we played them during conference. They won the North and beat Nebraska by 35. We played the North’s #1, 3 and 4 teams. We played #3 on the road. OU played #2, 3 (at home), and 5. No 2 was at home. Their conference road games were against 3 of the 4 worst Big 12 teams, and they didn’t play the 4th. Their tough road game was the #4 team from the south. We played Tech on the road. OSU at home. OU had a bye before Tech. We were in a stretch of 9 straight games when we played Tech. Mack said he took it easy the week of practice because were banged up and coming off a tough stretch and not done yet. The 4 highly ranked teams in a row was something that hadn’t been done in 50 years or whatever. We lost on the last play with our future decade long NFL DE hurt out because they hurt his ass on yet another non-call. On the road. At night. In that programs biggest game ever. If there’s ever an ok loss, that’s it. We beat OU head to head on a neutral field.

Yes, Arkansas was not good, but they were the only team in the country to play 2 of the top 3, maybe 3 of the top 10. Lost 3 other games by 6 combined points. TCU and Cincy we’re good no doubt but their rankings probably inflated due to their conferences. As a data point, Cincy lost by double digits to Va Tech in the bowl. Most likely if you allow for the conferences, those records are much closer.

So an argument, easily defensible and easily won, is that a conference decision should be based on conference results not two non-con opponents.

And secondarily when you account for the other factors in the schedule it is a shit ton closer than what a simpleton would come up with. I don’t know that computer models gave much consideration to timing, bye weeks, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Big12 refs fucked us against Tech. They refused to call holding all game long against them unless it was during an offsetting penalty. They were Johnny on the spot for when our line held though.

I believe there was a picture with 3 holds all uncalled, including a choke hold where Orakpo was injured.

Any neutral observer who actually watched the game would have seen that and discounted that “loss.”

Fuck this conference.

Ulatoski got called for the only hold, which was modest if anything. It took away a first down or very near. Pick 6 next play.

Now versus OU, Tres Way flopped twice. Both bogus. Gave them the ball back. Equivalent to two turnovers. Yes, we got two cheap late hits on Colt, but one resulted in a 1st down before the penalty. The other gave us a first down, but it was not 4th down anyway so we had another play. And I think one of those drives ended in a field goal after the “almost” OU INT. But that dude blatantly held the TE so it should have been 1st instead of 4th anyway. Not to mention the bs OU holding.

So here’s another question. How much would it have taken for us to get the nod over OU? Did we need to win by 17? 24? There is a number there that would have made a difference.
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, Huckleberry said:

I just have to say that I can in fact think of more than two teams better than Michigan.

Man you are all over the place. I was responding to your own comments and now you’re both changing what you’re saying and moving the goalposts. 

Don’t worry I’m done after this.

And I didn’t change jackshit. I was curious on some of the details so I looked them up which was an extrapolation of my original point. Our conference schedule was clearly more difficult which offset the clearly less difficult non-con schedule. There was little, if any, discussion about the conference schedule. Never did I say the Pigs were better than TCU or Cincy.

The justification for the Sooners was an overrated Cincy and a likely overrated TCU. Those two bested Arkansas who wasn’t good but might have won 8/9 games with TCU or Cincy schedules. We played Missouri. I said it came down to Arky, TCU and Cincy, which it did. Then I provided some details as to why it was more than that albeit much of it was ignored in that discussion back in 08.

But I’m certain you know all the details of that season.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Ulatoski got called for the only hold, which was modest if anything. It took away a first down or very near. Pick 6 next play.

Now versus OU, Tres Way flopped twice. Both bogus. Gave them the ball back. Equivalent to two turnovers. Yes, we got two cheap late hits on Colt, but one resulted in a 1st down before the penalty. The other gave us a first down, but it was not 4th down anyway so we had another play. And I think one of those drives ended in a field goal after the “almost” OU INT. But that dude blatantly held the TE so it should have been 1st instead of 4th anyway. Not to mention the bs OU holding.

So here’s another question. How much would it have taken for us to get the nod over OU? Did we need to win by 17? 24? There is a number there that would have made a difference.

We should have been in over Florida, but ESPN shut that down immediately before it became a question with their "no one wants to see the repeat of an earlier game".  And then helped push OU with their margin of victories OU had over the season...

As for rankings mattering, we've always bitched about overrated SEC teams in the top ten only kept there to feed other SEC teams rankings when they play, because rankings do matter the entire season. The playoff committee watches about as much football as the pollsters.  Like the pollsters, they rely of ESPN to tell them where to rank teams.

If Texas won out, but slowly climbed the ranking to finally make into the top 8 late in the year, they won't jump someone like ND, tOSU,or UG with the same record, even if one of them have a lucky survival game. Texas needs to be close to the top 10 like asap to be in position to jump teams if they struggle.  If we beat TCU, and end up around 20th, then beat OU and end up 11 or 12th, it could be hard to crack into the playoffs before the season ends, but if we were ranked around 20th now then around end up around 15th after thrashing the roaches, 9th or 10th after pounding OU, breaking into the playoffs would be much easier.  It's easier to climb into playoff spots with dominating performances from inside the top 10 than outside of it, the last 1/4 of the season.  

Us inside the top 10 after OU would have us in playoff range even if OU implodes. Us outside the top 10, could easily need help from others to break into a playoff spot...   Not that I see playoffs happening this year for us.  I think we have another loss or two.  Hopefully not

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

We should have been in over Florida, but ESPN shut that down immediately before it became a question with their "no one wants to see the repeat of an earlier game".  And then helped push OU with their margin of victories OU had over the season...

As for rankings mattering, we've always bitched about overrated SEC teams in the top ten only kept there to feed other SEC teams rankings when they play, because rankings do matter the entire season. The playoff committee watches about as much football as the pollsters.  Like the pollsters, they rely of ESPN to tell them where to rank teams.

If Texas won out, but slowly climbed the ranking to finally make into the top 8 late in the year, they won't jump someone like ND, tOSU,or UG with the same record, even if one of them have a lucky survival game. Texas needs to be close to the top 10 like asap to be in position to jump teams if they struggle.  If we beat TCU, and end up around 20th, then beat OU and end up 11 or 12th, it could be hard to crack into the playoffs before the season ends, but if we were ranked around 20th now then around end up around 15th after thrashing the roaches, 9th or 10th after pounding OU, breaking into the playoffs would be much easier.  It's easier to climb into playoff spots with dominating performances from inside the top 10 than outside of it, the last 1/4 of the season.  

Us inside the top 10 after OU would have us in playoff range even if OU implodes. Us outside the top 10, could easily need help from others to break into a playoff spot...   Not that I see playoffs happening this year for us.  I think we have another loss or two.  Hopefully not

If we beat TCU convincingly and beat OU under any scenario at all we will 100% be in the top 10.