impeachment - american crime story on fx

henrygandorf

34 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Jonah Hill’s little sister isn’t nearly pretty enough for ML.

But I spot character actress Margo Martindale and Smulders as Coulter is intriguing,

wait what?  holy shit I had no idea. she's great, will be curious to see how she does here

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Wasn't this announced about a decade ago?

At least for Ryan Murphy, he shelved it initially because he didn't want to tell Monica's story for her.  Once Monica got on board, he was comfortable moving forward.  Hence her EP credit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I watched the first 2 episodes...why are they 1.5 hours each?  Anyway, the highlight was probably Paula Jones's husband trying to parlay his wife's harassment into a guest spot on Designing Women as Delta Burke's love interest.

Smulders is good as Ann Coulter.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, WBT said:

I watched the first 2 episodes...why are they 1.5 hours each?  Anyway, the highlight was probably Paula Jones's husband trying to parlay his wife's harassment into a guest spot on Designing Women as Delta Burke's love interest.

Smulders is good as Ann Coulter.

Smulders with blonde hair is working for me. 

Taran Killam is pretty good on the show. His career has been on the uptick. He leaves SNL and immediately becomes funnier. 

Paulson, fat suit or not, kills as Linda Tripp. Her character reminds me of the old, bitchy, know it all secretaries I worked with. They thought they hung the moon, but it turns they graduated from high school 3-4 decades ago and learned to type. 

My only complaint is that you have to watch the show on FX live/DVR or through the FX App. It's not available on Hulu yet. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

The first time I saw Owen in makeup in a preview, I was “no fucking way” (his bulbous nose seemed too cartoony, as was Paula Jones’) but I think he’s done a great job. He’s captured the voice and has been exceptional swinging from menacing Monica to comforting her. It’s a complicated performance of a complicated man.

I’m not sure I ever saw much of the real Linda Tripp speak, but Paulson’s performance nails the self-important nature many of these career government workers have. She thrives in this FX world. Beanie is doing her best capturing the Lewinsky desperation, she’s just such a departure physically from the real thing I sometimes spend too much time thinking about that.

I want a scene where George Conway hits on Coulter, just for the lulz in the Conway household.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

The first time I saw Owen in makeup in a preview, I was “no fucking way” (his bulbous nose seemed too cartoony, as was Paula Jones’) but I think he’s done a great job. He’s captured the voice and has been exceptional swinging from menacing Monica to comforting her. It’s a complicated performance of a complicated man.

I’m not sure I ever saw much of the real Linda Tripp speak, but Paulson’s performance nails the self-important nature many of these career government workers have. She thrives in this FX world. Beanie is doing her best capturing the Lewinsky desperation, she’s just such a departure physically from the real thing I sometimes spend too much time thinking about that.

I want a scene where George Conway hits on Coulter, just for the lulz in the Conway household.

This. Beanie is rotund. Lewinsky is much thinner now, but she was never that big. She's a good actress, but the side shots really take me out of it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sarah Paulson as Linda Tripp watching John Goodman as Linda Tripp was pretty meta and enjoyable. 

I like the show. I’m ignorant to its historical accuracy, but it doesn’t go out of its way to canonize or villainize the Clintons. Bill Clinton was a creepy old man doing creepy old man things. Hillary Clinton was ambitious and more concerned with holding on to power than her marriage. Paulson is perfect at Tripp. They do a good job of showing Monica’s point of view. 

We already knew is Ken Starr zealot nut job as evidenced by his time at Baylor. 

Bill Clinton was a creepy old man doing creepy old man things. 

Clinton was 49 when he got his first blow job from ML. In fact, he was only one year older than the current day Monica. He’s still younger than the current and the most recent ex-President. So, IMO it’s a “no” on the “old,” but I’ll give you creepy.

And it’s interesting how they are divvying up the meaty parts: I thought Falco killed it tonight, and Mira Sorvino did a nice job with a smaller supporting role in the previous episode. Though I’ve been quite aware of his career, I don’t think I’ve seen much of Clive Owen’s work over the years, but I believe he’s done a terrific job as Clinton, nailing the voice and charisma. I think he’s the star of the series.

Bakkedahl is a lousy Ken Starr, but I think they liked casting the foul mouthed congressman from Veep as the holier than thou Special Prosecutor. Hanks is doing his usual “decent guy” bit. Paulson is letting the prosthetics do much of the heavy lifting, which is probably wise, but I don’t think this rises to the level of her Marcia Clark. I’ve weighed in on Beanie in an earlier post, she’s fine, but so different from the real person, it’s hard to ignore. And the use of “heavy” and “weighed in on” in the prior two sentences was unintentional but hereby acknowledged.

On 10/26/2021 at 10:38 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Edie Falco as Hillary sounds exactly like Carmela Soprano. She’s an accomplished actress for sure, but the director could have worked with her on the voice and mannerisms. 

Yeah while everything else in the show has been pretty great, I thought this was a big mis-cast.  It's just too distracting to "see" Edie Falco and not Hillary.

Edie Falco just has too distinctive of a "look" and voice to disappear into a character the way Sarah Paulson can. I feel like Paulson IS Linda Tripp, the same way she just WAS Marcia Clark in the O.J. show.

Seems like they could have either cast a relatively unknown or a different, less "distinctive" actress to play Hillary.

26 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah while everything else in the show has been pretty great, I thought this was a big mis-cast.  It's just too distracting to "see" Edie Falco and not Hillary.

Edie Falco just has too distinctive of a "look" and voice to disappear into a character the way Sarah Paulson can. I feel like Paulson IS Linda Tripp, the same way she just WAS Marcia Clark in the O.J. show.

Seems like they could have either cast a relatively unknown or a different, less "distinctive" actress to play Hillary.

Falco played Hillary exactly like Carmela in White Caps. I guess she’s Edie F***ing Falco and you can’t tell her shit, but her approach was all wrong. 

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

yep.

i never watched nurse jackie but i'm starting to think falco has little to no range.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Falco played Hillary exactly like Carmela in White Caps. I guess she’s Edie F***ing Falco and you can’t tell her shit, but her approach was all wrong. 

Agreed.

I'm trying to think who would have been a better casting.... I mean I feel like Sarah Paulsen would have knocked it out of the park, but obviously Tripp was the bigger role in this particular series. 

I feel like someone like Nicole Kidman or Laura Dern would have killed it.