Guess the State: Woman Fatally Shot by Toddler while on Zoom Work call, Police say

Harrison Bergeron

Since we're already on a twisted tangent here.  If I had to guess, the woman's boyfriend/baby daddy/partner brought it over one night and left it "out somewhere."  He left either fucked up or in an Irish exit to avoid her.  Forgot he left it there.  She went about her day the next day.  Toddler found it (likely somewhere low down where the mommy didn't see) and it stood out to the toddler because it looked different and out of place.  Mom likely never had any idea it was in the household.  

I'm thinking if a toddler dropped a pistol, even from just 1-2 feet up in the air, it would make a weird thud sound.  Maybe she was so wrapped up in the zoom call, she didn't hear it.  I guess I can see the toddler playing with all the little features of the weapon.  But that's crazy that they removed the safety (if it was even on to begin with), loaded a round, aimed it, pulled the trigger, and scored a head shot all in one swoop.  If they had shot once, mommy would hear it obviously and go grab it.  But it was just the one round apparently.  That's insane.  The odds of that are astronomical.  Hopefully, it reminds thousands of people to review their safety protocols with guns in the house.  We lose way too many people to accidental shootings in this country just because of stupid malaise on safety.  

What a horrible fucking tragedy.  I hope if this "an adult" mentioned in the story is the baby's biological father, they still don't let him get custody of the kid.  He's obviously a fucking idiot shitbag and the kid has already been through enough.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Since we're already on a twisted tangent here.  If I had to guess, the woman's boyfriend/baby daddy/partner brought it over one night and left it "out somewhere."  He left either fucked up or in an Irish exit to avoid her.  Forgot he left it there.  She went about her day the next day.  Toddler found it (likely somewhere low down where the mommy didn't see) and it stood out to the toddler because it looked different and out of place.  Mom likely never had any idea it was in the household.  

I'm thinking if a toddler dropped a pistol, even from just 1-2 feet up in the air, it would make a weird thud sound.  Maybe she was so wrapped up in the zoom call, she didn't hear it.  I guess I can see the toddler playing with all the little features of the weapon.  But that's crazy that they removed the safety (if it was even on to begin with), loaded a round, aimed it, pulled the trigger, and scored a head shot all in one swoop.  If they had shot once, mommy would hear it obviously and go grab it.  But it was just the one round apparently.  That's insane.  The odds of that are astronomical.  Hopefully, it reminds thousands of people to review their safety protocols with guns in the house.  We lose way too many people to accidental shootings in this country just because of stupid malaise on safety.  

What a horrible fucking tragedy.  I hope if this "an adult" mentioned in the story is the baby's biological father, they still don't let him get custody of the kid.  He's obviously a fucking idiot shitbag and the kid has already been through enough.  

The Final Destination GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Gun was already loaded and many don't have a manual safety. Also, toddlers drop crap all the time. It's generally preferable to hear your kids making noise in the background than not.

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Gun was already loaded and many don't have a manual safety. Also, toddlers drop crap all the time. It's generally preferable to hear your kids making noise in the background than not.

When it gets quiet you know shit is going down. Sometimes literal shit going into places it should not (dressers/ac vents/bathroom vanity drawers). 

13 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah I figured it was loaded.  Which would have made it even heavier for the toddler to handle.  Curious if and how the round got chambered.  Hammer wouldn't have been easy, maybe with two hands.  I guess my toddler is really good at figuring out where hands/fingers go on objects, better than I thought they would.  She drops shit all the time, but I would think a fully loaded pistol would sound different.  I guess depends on the floor surface.  Just crazy to me that the kid could find it, handle it, not drop it, make their way over to behind mommy, raise it up without struggle, and fire off a round.  I get that they could do it without alerting mommy to what was happening, I just have a hard time seeing them do all those things in one fell swoop.  Mine picks something up in one room and it's a ten minute journey of tears, stumbles, and bonks to bring it into the next room.  

Anyway, what a fucked up story.  

Also, somebody's gonna back through that zoom call (assuming it was recorded) and see the kid in the background dragging the pistol along the floor to start playing with it right behind the Mom.  That's gonna be a fucking eerie site. 

14 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lock your fucking guns up around kids and teach them to treat them with respect if they find one unattended

I shoot with my oldest regularly.   She knows that outside of that very specific circumstance, her hands don’t touch a firearm. This was more for if they happen upon one at another home, since ours are locked up tight, but we’ve had success. She’ll literally stands with her arms behind her back while I’m cleaning/handling etc.  I’m hoping her sisters take to it with the same respect. 

Definitely a tragedy, and infuriating the toddler ever had access to it.  Stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1