Humboldt County, CA

Tailgate

6 minutes ago, YChang said:

Get lost in the Redwood. Go look for Sasquatch. Smoke a lot of weed. Drink good beer, Lost Coast as mentioned

Yep, lots of hiking. Eureka is kind of shitty but has a nice little downtown. Stopped in Crescent City once during a road trip and there’s a surprisingly nice brewpub there. 

11 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Yep, lots of hiking. Eureka is kind of shitty but has a nice little downtown. Stopped in Crescent City once during a road trip and there’s a surprisingly nice brewpub there. 

Some of the small dead lumber towns you drive through up there is depressing as fuck… and gave me all sort of Deliverance type feels. 

4 minutes ago, YChang said:

Some of the small dead lumber towns you drive through up there is depressing as fuck… and gave me all sort of Deliverance type feels. 

We last drove through the area last October. Around Eureka (maybe Klamath) we saw a jacked up F-250 with a huge Trump 2024 sign. Couldn’t tell if the dude was a pessimist or an optimist. 

15 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

We last drove through the area last October. Around Eureka (maybe Klamath) we saw a jacked up F-250 with a huge Trump 2024 sign. Couldn’t tell if the dude was a pessimist or an optimist. 

The further north of Sacramento you go the more this area resembles the deep south

13 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

They do not like strangers there and trying to buy weed from most is a recipe for disaster.

VERY true

27 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

They do not like strangers there and trying to buy weed from most is a recipe for disaster.

If this was 20-30 years ago then I would take that as a challenge. I could get pot out of Meigs County, OH. I’ll bet I could’ve bought pot in Humboldt County without threatening anyone’s plot. I don’t even know how secretive of it they are these days. But back in the late 90’s, if I had attended a KVHW show in Arcata or Eureka, I definitely knew people who could’ve hooked me up.

If I didn’t know anyone then I’d start by talking to cab drivers and bartenders. (And I’m a good tipper.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

My buddy from SF and college (da horns) is learning all about the industry right now in hopes of creating his own thing or helping those with products market them. Apparently they have schools and certifications for this type of thing in California.

Thanks for some of the thoughts…we do know there will be plenty of places to legally buy…just curious if anyone has been to a specific place that could be interesting for smoke or food and/or just cool besides places I might get shot.

I don't want to say the market is over saturated yet... but your buddy isn't going to get rich growing. There isn't a ton of money in it unless you ship to states where its still illegal. I have a guy who used to work for me that deigns  installs electronics, lights timers fans control systems for indoor grows and he's killing it.

Buy from any number of dispensaries you'll see on the way, use leafly for reviews. I am a few counties east right now, Shasta and there is a fire between us, the Monument and it will be fire season while you are here. So keep tabs on that

As mentioned people out do not like strangers and curious people. The feds have been in the area doing raids for the past month, dea, fbi and ice so a lot of people are on edge. No idea what you or your buddys intentions are but don't go exploring looking for grows or land or asking questions, the whole murder mountain, people disappearing is not a joke, there are numerous areas that local law enforcement will not go.

There are redwoods out there, Trinidad is supposed to be beautiful, being on the coast will help minimize any haze from the fires. Was at Eel river brewing in Fortuna last month, highly recommended, though it did give me pause that the people at the table next to use spoke in Russian the entire time.. (mob here for grows). Skip all mexican food places, you'll leave disappointed and honestly most the food up here is blah. The population is afraid of spices IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the interesting takes that I got from Murder Mountain is that the California government has made it so expensive to be legal in the industry that a lot of the growers chose to remain as outlaw growers to survive.

ETA: Part of our honeymoon was a week on Maui back in the day.  We took a drive one day to the extreme west end of the island where it became very rural very quickly.  Every driveway or gate had a sign that stated that trespassers would be shot.  I guess we found where the Maui Wowie was grown.

Edited by VABuckeye

• 1 month later...

Late to the thread looking for another one, we road tripped from SF through humboldt state park, to eureka and then up the coast to OR and across the umpqua river valley to Portland a few thanksgivings ago. Samoa airfield is a great little spot to stay there on the peninsula and our 3 days through benbow, the state park and over to the coast was magical.  We did end up picking up some European migrant workers who were hitchhiking to pick bud for extra pay, both of us were worried the other ones were going to kill us. It was a mutually fearful but enjoyable ride. Delightful couple. 

• 2 weeks later...