Top Date Night Spots

Washpark

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That said, honestly, if I could get a steak frites as good as I had at Bartlett's (as Houston's) then I'd be thrilled.  I think @HenryJames swears by Hopfields, any other options?

If you want steak frites, go to Justine’s. Hopfields has it on the menu, but they use a filet. And you want wine with it and not beer.

Ya the tasting menu is your only option at Barley Swine right now. They aren’t letting you order a la crate.

It was $95 a head so $190 for food and and then $120 in drinks and a already included 20% tip got us to $375.

Not traditional steak frites but you can get steak frites for $10 during hh at VY Steakhouse. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yup. Spaced out of course, and the outdoor area looked nice. Only weird thing is that you have to use a QR code reader on your phone to look at the menu. I gather that tons of places do that now (we haven’t been out since pre-pandemic), it’s just weird at a nice date spot to have your phone out. We normally have a no phones rule at dinner. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 7:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

If my wife and I are dropping multiple bills on "date night", it's maybe $150 on dinner and the rest on patio chairs or something like that.

So, as we're rounding into herd immunity, what are some good choices for Italian/Mexican/steak/Latin/Middle Eastern that might be in that $150 range for two?  New places, preferably.  We go to Asti, Fonda San Miguel, Clay Pit, Siena, etc. fairly often but I'd hope there are some new options opening up. 

That said, honestly, if I could get a steak frites as good as I had at Bartlett's (as Houston's) then I'd be thrilled.  I think @HenryJames swears by Hopfields, any other options?

Hopfields steak frites are good, HJ knows his business. Justine's are better, a little pricier.

Edit: Crap, didn't look at the dates.  Guess it's been sorted by now. :)

I'll add that I'm super-sad that Fabi+Rosi closed, that was a seriously underrated Euro kitchen.  

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, NoName said:

any recs for a good date night spot further south? going to be out by COTA but really open to anywhere between there (ish) and Dripping Springs

Trattoria Lisina?  It's a bit south of a direct line between COTA and Dripping SPrings, but we always enjoy it.  I doubt it adds 10 minutes to the drive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

GF and I went to Josephine House Friday night - we had been there before but both of us remarked afterwards that we need to put it in our regular "date night" rotation.  had a table in the corner of the patio with no one seated near us, service was top notch - we sat for 2 1/2 hours with no rush felt whatsoever; menu is small but everything we had was very well done.  the opposite of a loud, busy, see and be seen type place (which is nice once and a while, but the quiet, intimate environment is more our speed).  i think it will fill the space left by Fabi & Rossi for us

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, justhookit said:

So I’m a big Red Ash fan. The owner recently opened a new restaurant at 5th and Red River called J Carver’s. Menu is mostly seafood and steaks. It’s fantastic.

https://www.jcarveratx.com

It's actually at 5th & Rio Grande.  A restaurant like that would not do well on Red River.  Sat at the bar the other night and had a few things.  Delicious.  Cool spot, great staff (old Holy Roller and Wahoo's Fish Taco space).  I'm worried for them though with their pricing, it comes pretty darn close to being the most expensive steakhouse in Austin based on appetizer/salad then steak and accompaniments and drink pricing (obviously wine can always swing a tab one way or the other).  They're surrounded a bunch of adult "shot bars" (Key Bar, Little Woodrow's, Star Bar, et. al.).  I don't know if it can flourish on its own as destination dining, but Red Ash continues to hit it out of the park, so it should work out.  I really liked it and wanna do dinner there on somebody else's tab. 

Edited by Lobo

Yeah thanks for the correction I’m not sure why I typed Red River. We were just there this weekend for dinner and stayed at Canopy. Maybe it was because I had it ingrained in my head to avoid Red River going to and from the game.

Agreed on the pricing but I felt like we definitely got our money’s worth.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

need a happy hour/supper spot for a date tomorrow in the central austin vicinity.  leaning towards hopfields, drink.well, fonda san miguel, or oakmont.  thoughts? suggestions?

Drink.well to start and walk across the street to Foreign & Domestic. I do that often and usually get laid.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

need a happy hour/supper spot for a date tomorrow in the central austin vicinity.  leaning towards hopfields, drink.well, fonda san miguel, or oakmont.  thoughts? suggestions?

Remember that Hopfield's is only wine/beer if you're wanting cocktails.  I love the food at Hopfield's but the menu is pretty narrow and not like in a "tasting menu" kinda way.  I haven't been to Fonda in over a decade so I'll let others chime in.  Can't speak informed to drink.well but always hear nice things.  I like Oakmont but may not be great for a date night because it's loud as shit.  South Austin's above suggestions are top notch in my book, just weighing in on what you threw out there to start.  

Thanks guys.  love  this board for just these kinds of reasons.  wink and uchiko are too fancy and stuffy.  casual is king, and yes this lady digs beer but is also susceptible to a margarita or too.  i agree about hopfields limited food and beverage menu but hotdamn if you cant beat a burger and a beer there.  maybe the best in town for both of those.

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Uchiko is stuffy?

i was thinking of uchi.  uchiko could work but not sure if she likes sushi.  

whats the consensus on brewtorium and blackstar?  never been to either.  circle brewing/huckleberry and meanwhile/distant relatives are options for our next weekend date.  need to stay keep my drive time low on a worknight.

You asked about Fonda San Miguel . . . all these years later, it still remains one of my favorites.  Fantastic bar, with seating that ranges from casual indoor courtyard to old school pull-up-a-barstool and talk to the 'keep.  Low lighting, etc. 

The food can vary from very good to transcendent, depending on staff, but more on a year over year basis, not nightly.  I haven't been there in a while due to covid, so I can't say what's happening there right now.  The dining room is beautiful, just slightly more fussy than casual, with a great vibe.  It's a fantastic all-in-one date spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

whats the consensus on brewtorium and blackstar?  never been to either.  circle brewing/huckleberry and meanwhile/distant relatives are options for our next weekend date.  need to stay keep my drive time low on a worknight.

It’s been a couple of years but my Brewtorium experience was okay beer, German pizza is whatever and it had the ambiance of an airplane hanger.  Haven’t gone back.

I used to like Blackstar a lot but it really doesn’t have a great vibe if it’s empty and that’s probably my number one date requirement.  Not every place needs people (The Tigress, for example, is just fine or even better if it’s empty) but a beer place needs the background noise.  

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I went to Fonda for happy hour a month or so ago. It’s still great and the drinks and appetizers are aolid. But dinner there (based on my last couple of pre-pandemic visits) just isn’t worth the price anymore. 

They could be on one of their downturns.  As far as price goes, while "expensive" for Mexican food, it's still inexpensive for good food.  The vast majority of their dinners are $20-$35.  I would think it would be pretty difficult for a couple to drop $200 there, which for a date seems pretty on point, depending on the desired outcome (so to speak).

On 12/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, thrillhammer said:

Had some really good food at Huckleberry last week. Menu is limited and they can run out of certain dishes sometimes, so make sure you check the menu before hand. 

• 1 month later...

I'm in Dallas so when I visit Austin for "date night," it's of the F250 variety with plans for venues I can't find in DFW.

I'm surprised it's not in this thread, but I enjoyed a fun Saturday night at dipdipdip Tatsu-Ya.  Enjoyed the 'Baller Omakase' portion with A5 Wagyu and some great Sake pairings.  Great venue to socialize and try something new.

IMG_6165.jpgIMG_6168.jpgIMG_6169.jpgIMG_6171.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 9:52 PM, Gravy Train said:

I'm in Dallas so when I visit Austin for "date night," it's of the F250 variety with plans for venues I can't find in DFW.

I'm surprised it's not in this thread, but I enjoyed a fun Saturday night at dipdipdip Tatsu-Ya.  Enjoyed the 'Baller Omakase' portion with A5 Wagyu and some great Sake pairings.  Great venue to socialize and try something new.

IMG_6165.jpgIMG_6168.jpgIMG_6169.jpgIMG_6171.jpg

did you have to make reservations?  was there a long wait?

7 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

did you have to make reservations?  was there a long wait?

Yes, reservations are pretty much a must unless you're a late-night diner.  I was able to snag a 8:30 Saturday reservation just four days in advance.  

It's a pretty fun date night spot for the unique experience and ability to socialize with neighbors along the table beside you.  They do park movable dividers between parties but they aren't tall enough to isolate your seating.

• 1 month later...

Catching an early dinner with the wife in South or Central Austin before a movie tonight. Looking for casual and not crazy expensive and not a long tasting affair. I haven't been eating out regularly since before the pandemic, so I am out of the loop on new places. 

Anything noteworthy in that vein?