Top Date Night Spots

Washpark

On 12/24/2018 at 5:41 PM, Mr.Hovis said:

Went to Salty Sow for the first time last night. Thought it was decent, somewhat limited menu and with good drinks, the beignets and homemade ice cream might have been the best part of the meal. If we go back it may be just for the  happy hour menu.

The bananas foster beignets are my favorite desert in Austin

Three great "hidden" mezcal bars in Austin---above Mi Madre's, below Buenos Aires, and behind Clive.  
Here not There also has a great selection.  Also kinda "hidden"  

I’ve been to the illegal place behind Clive it’s fun I’ll try the other two soon. Gf doesn’t like mezcal but does drink tequila.

Austin tasting menus are not going to compare to the places in NY and SF. 
Having said that I think Barely Swine is the besting tasting menu in Austin right now. 

I love BS but every time we go I pine for the original gastro pub where less pretentious small plates paired with beer in a hole in the wall location made for the best dinning experience in town.

Odd duck and brewers table are the next best thing. Thankfully they are a decent substitute.

We like bufalina on east C Chavez too for a pizza and wine date - doesn’t work with the keto plans though. Especially like it at the bar. The bartenders are friendly and they don’t mind it if we get handsy. Pretty casual spot so it’s paired better with a show or a movie after.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm genetically predisposed to order carbonara.  Asti's is good . . . not quite as good as La Traviata's, but good nonetheless.  Plus, no downtown fuckery.

right, the drawback for me in terms of asti being a "date night" spot is, IMO, that most of the tables are right on top of each other.  the two tops, anyways.  

On 2/7/2019 at 7:53 AM, South Austin said:

Heading to Asti on Friday night with Mrs. South Austin.  Sure, there are better places in Austin, but it's always been a favorite date night spot for us going back to our newlywed days.  Solid menu, great atmosphere, and for the most part douchebag-free.

I've lived in Austin for 20+ years and have never been for some reason.  Oddly enough, wife and I have a standing date night across the street at Julio's every Friday.  Guess we need to stroll across the street.

another one i haven't seen mentioned here - GF and I have hit Fabi & Rossi for weeknight date night a few times recently.  food is excellent, service has been top notch, ambience (for lack of a better term, i suppose) is great - there are probably 14 or so tables in there total (not including what looks to be a large party table in the back), in a charming old house.  not loud at all, not crowded on top of other tables, and you can usually walk in and be seated right away (weeknights, anyway) .  nice little patio area out front when the weather is nice.  one of my favorite spots.

• Like 1

I've never been to F&R.  I used to take dates to whatever it was years ago, but the name escapes me.  Nice house, nice neighborhood, easy parking, etc.  (Well, I assume easy parking -- they probably have all those stupid "Residents Only" regulations in place now, which make me very ragey.)

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never been to F&R.  I used to take dates to whatever it was years ago, but the name escapes me.  Nice house, nice neighborhood, easy parking, etc.  (Well, I assume easy parking -- they probably have all those stupid "Residents Only" regulations in place now, which make me very ragey.)

re: parking - the surface lot of the commercial building directly across Hearn is open for F&R customers.  

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It was Zoot. I loved that place. Probably my first introduction tasting menu dining back when I was a law student (the fact that you could eat ton of small courses, pair each one with wine, and roll out full and toasted was a revelation in my mid 20s). When it moved out to Bee Caves it wasn't the same (and didn't last long out there). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

another one i haven't seen mentioned here - GF and I have hit Fabi & Rossi for weeknight date night a few times recently.  food is excellent, service has been top notch, ambience (for lack of a better term, i suppose) is great - there are probably 14 or so tables in there total (not including what looks to be a large party table in the back), in a charming old house.  not loud at all, not crowded on top of other tables, and you can usually walk in and be seated right away (weeknights, anyway) .  nice little patio area out front when the weather is nice.  one of my favorite spots.

Love the place. Their chocolate mousse is my favorite dessert in Austin.

What was the joint on Bee Caves Road about where Westbank Drive has its terminus?  It was a Belgian restaurant, and I think it was literally called the Belgian.  

Wife and I went once with one of those coupons you got in those big white coupon books from the Girl Scouts or whatever.  It was still beyond my budget, but we had a great meal there.  I think it was literally our first date night after moving in together (sinners) back in about '03 or '04.  And I think the restaurant closed down shortly after that.  

Was in Austin this weekend because my wife got us tickets to the Basketball game for Christmas, just the two of us. I come down a few times a year for football games, but haven’t brought my wife in a few years because she usually stays home with our daughter and the boy comes with me.

All that to say, we haven’t looked for a nice dinner in Austin in a while, and decided to go to Garrison Grill. Despite being inside a hotel, and downtown being a complete cluster fuck for the marathon (poor timing on our part), holy fuck what a great meal that was. Honestly one of the top 5 meals we’ve ever had, and we’ve been to most of the top spots around DFW and a handful around San Jose/Monterey area.

Sourdough bread with avocado spread was absolutely “I want to mainline this” amazing, grilled octopus was good, but the mole with it was delicious, steaks were perfect...seriously perfect, and was such a great pair with the bitter/hot shishito peppers, tator tots were awesome although I would have liked a cheese with a bit more substance/body than the gruyere. Top it off with a great chocolate soufflé, fuck yes. If you haven’t been, put it on your short list.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Looking at places in or near the Domain for Friday night.  Flemmings, Urban, Copper???

there is a Sway in the Domain and I've walked in and been seated with no wait every time I've been.  may or may not fit your parameters of a date night spot.

My wife and I usually go to Hopfields.  She loves the mussels and I like the beer.

Dude don’t be such a pansy ass tell her that when she looks at other guys it hurts your feelings. It’s okay it upsets all of us....

Oh wait...

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I actually went to Bartlett's for the first time ever last week.  It was for lunch, and I liked it, but it didn't seem to have a date-night feel to it at all for me. 

It's pretty dark at night.  Half the patrons are probably cheating on their spouses.

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

I actually went to Bartlett's for the first time ever last week.  It was for lunch, and I liked it, but it didn't seem to have a date-night feel to it at all for me. 

The wife and I have been going to Bartlett's/Houstons since the mid-90s, so there are memories that go along with dinner.  Once we showed up, she said that she was contemplating going there for our anniversary next month - so I ended up with some extra points.