Top Date Night Spots

Washpark

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Rosewood was great Saturday night. Will go back for sure. Blood sausage stuffed quail with mole is good and the barbacoa is good. Home made flour and corn tortillas. The parisa is not really parisa but I still liked. Was closer to steak tartare with bone marrow and homemade crackers. Drinks were strong though the whiskey selection is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

went to The Peacock last night.  in the new Proper Hotel.  probably not my personal ideal spot for a date night because it was crazy loud in the dining room, but the food was top notch.  the dining room is right next to a very busy and loud bar, and the wall separating the two areas has windows built into them that they had propped open.  posting here because there isn't a "new" or "nice/fancy" restaurant thread like i seem to remember OTS - and the noise is probably less of an issue for other folks than me (i'm getting old, ha).

it is billed as Mediterranean, but seems far more Middle Eastern IMO - lots of tajines.  i suspect that is a marketing issue.

shared the roasted carrots with yogurt and blood oranges and pistachios to start, and the fish (cod) tajine with fennel and saffron broth, preserved lemons and olives, and shared a side of saffron rice with pistachios and dill.  also tried the tajine with lamb meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce with barberry and peas and mint.  shared baklava and a sticky date pudding with homemade vanilla bean ice cream.  all of it was excellent.  the date pudding is one of the best desserts i have ever had in austin. 

solid A.   will be going back soon for sure - probably on a weeknight when its probably a bit more subdued than a Friday night at 730.

they said they are opening a Oaxacan restaurant on the 5th floor of the hotel in about a month.   mmmm.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, 4th_and_18 said:

Rosewood was great Saturday night. Will go back for sure. Blood sausage stuffed quail with mole is good and the barbacoa is good. Home made flour and corn tortillas. The parisa is not really parisa but I still liked. Was closer to steak tartare with bone marrow and homemade crackers. Drinks were strong though the whiskey selection is limited.

Taking the new lady friend to Rosewood next weekend.  I would ask whether the place will get me laid, but we’re at the chemically-charged beginning of the whole dating thing where I could take her to Whataburger and still get some sex afterwards. But this place looks like it has a fairly romantic atmosphere and an interesting menu, so just hedging my bets.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, for the time being it’s the kitchen table

Posted this elsewhere, but Fleming’s is running $40 off on any order over $100.  That means their Tomahawk Tuesday (2 sales, a 35 oz. Tomahawk, 2 sides and 2 desserts), which goes for $125, is now $85.  So that was last night’s date night, with a bottle of wine

• 2 months later...

ate at uchiko sat night.  sat in the front room and they never allowed more than 4 of the tables in the room to be occupied at one time.  I thought to myself, man, I could really get used to this - nice and quiet, nobody seated anywhere close to us.  of course, I don't know that restaurants would survive long running at that capacity.

29 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

ate at uchiko sat night.  sat in the front room and they never allowed more than 4 of the tables in the room to be occupied at one time.  I thought to myself, man, I could really get used to this - nice and quiet, nobody seated anywhere close to us.  of course, I don't know that restaurants would survive long running at that capacity.

They won't, for sure. 

But I, too, have enjoyed the lack of crowding and lines at the places I've been.  It'll be fun while it lasts.

Edited by utee94

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped up a pretty spectacular couple of weeks of dining out with Barley Swine.  12 course chef's tasting menu.  Very good.  Some of the starters were not as good as Hestia, but the wagyu ribeye was spectacular.  So, my rank:

1.Hestia

2.Tie for Barley Swine/Comedor.  Little better food at Barley but better wine selection at Comedor.  

On 6/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, South Austin said:

Been wanting to try out Comedor. I’ve heard they deliver some pretty kick ass dinner kits.

i think we have had all of the small plates at comedor that don't get rotated out - but the masa spaetzle is the one dish we get every single time.  it would be worth the trip there for just that and a dessert.  

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was absolutely incredible. We told the server we didn't want to think. We just wanted to drink and eat and just keep it under 500 total. They obliged and set up a custom mezcal tasting and pairings with a bunch of courses. 

Standouts were definitely the aguachile and the bone marrow tacos, but everything was 5 star good. Highly recommend for a date spot. We were trashed after and yes, got laid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:06 AM, immamac said:

It was absolutely incredible. We told the server we didn't want to think. We just wanted to drink and eat and just keep it under 500 total. They obliged and set up a custom mezcal tasting and pairings with a bunch of courses. 

Standouts were definitely the aguachile and the bone marrow tacos, but everything was 5 star good. Highly recommend for a date spot. We were trashed after and yes, got laid. 

Was wondering how it would be after they fired Erales.  My guess is it will be fine in the short term because the sous chef and line cooks can replicate the dishes, but they will need to find someone that can innovate for the long term

Edited by AustinMT

On 1/17/2021 at 9:06 AM, immamac said:

wait.  dinner for two and you wanted to keep it under $500?

GF and I had dinner one night last week at Summer House, which is attached to the Magdalena Hotel on Music Lane.  Its not particularly fancy, or haute cuisine or anything but we both thought it was a total A+ for a weeknight date.  there are a few tables inside which were all empty, and a bunch of tables on the patio and in the garden area - all really spaced out - that aspect, with really outstanding service, really made it sort of feel like we were the only ones there.  not a big menu but we enjoyed everything we tried - particularly the whipped feta app (which had some marscapone folded in) , and the burnt honey ice cream that came on the apple galette dessert.  i think next time i am there i will ask if they would sell me a pint - it may be the best ice cream i have ever had.  we both had the "backyard chicken" which came with spicy chimichurri and roasted sweet potatoes.  simple but really well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BayouBill said:

Any recs for an anniversary dinner spot on South Congress? We're getting a place right off there to get away from the kids for a night and wondering if there's any fancy new-ish places we could walk to.

Aba is great.  Nice but not overly fancy - the food is great and the space (especially the outdoor patio(s) is awesome.  Will definitely need a reservation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:55 AM, BayouBill said:

Any recs for an anniversary dinner spot on South Congress? We're getting a place right off there to get away from the kids for a night and wondering if there's any fancy new-ish places we could walk to.

I haven't tried Lucky Robot yet, but I've heard good things. 

Went to Barley Swine Friday night, food was really good. The duck and ribeye were both really good. The cocktails were great as well.

My main complaint is the price. It’s a not a $375 meal. We get out every other high end restaurant in Austin for around $200-$250 with cocktails.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2021 at 8:29 AM, LebongJames said:

Went to Barley Swine Friday night, food was really good. The duck and ribeye were both really good. The cocktails were great as well.

My main complaint is the price. It’s a not a $375 meal. We get out every other high end restaurant in Austin for around $200-$250 with cocktails.

Rep for following up.

Wife and I are Staying at my sister in law’s condo at the  Cambridge this weekend. Planning on walking downtown for dinner. Give me your options for outside dining. JW Marriot is an option but a bit of a walk.  Anything closer to the Capitol complex?

Had a great date night on the second level patio at Olive & June last night. Perfect weather and still solid food.

Minor complaint – They ask that you complete your meal in two hours, which is understandable, because given the revenue hit restaurants have suffered the past year they want to turn as many tables as possible to start making money again. But it made the service feel much more rushed, and we couldn’t enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine between courses, as it was all served in pretty quick succession.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:14 AM, South Austin said:

Had a great date night on the second level patio at Olive & June last night. Perfect weather and still solid food.

Minor complaint – They ask that you complete your meal in two hours, which is understandable, because given the revenue hit restaurants have suffered the past year they want to turn as many tables as possible to start making money again. But it made the service feel much more rushed, and we couldn’t enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine between courses, as it was all served in pretty quick succession.

Oh man, at that restaurant's price point, that's downright tacky and rude to overtly suggest a time limit - but let me tell you, Olive & June has been rushing meals since way before the pandemic.  On our first visit, they brought our cocktails and seemed pushy to get the order placed right then.  We said sure, we're ready to order, but please let us enjoy our drinks before bringing the appetizer, we are in no rush.  Well, the appetizer came right out, and the entree got plopped down onto our table soon thereafter, before we even touched the appetizer.  On our second visit we emphasized to our waiter that we were looking forward to a leisurely evening, and we purposely spaced out the ordering process to assure this - but we got the distinct impression over the course of the meal that they were itching to turn the table, something that shouldn't ever happen at a restaurant who fancies themselves of a certain caliber.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:56 AM, Iowa Horn said:

Oh man, at that restaurant's price point, that's downright tacky and rude to overtly suggest a time limit - but let me tell you, Olive & June has been rushing meals since way before the pandemic.  On our first visit, they brought our cocktails and seemed pushy to get the order placed right then.  We said sure, we're ready to order, but please let us enjoy our drinks before bringing the appetizer, we are in no rush.  Well, the appetizer came right out, and the entree got plopped down onto our table soon thereafter, before we even touched the appetizer.  On our second visit we emphasized to our waiter that we were looking forward to a leisurely evening, and we purposely spaced out the ordering process to assure this - but we got the distinct impression over the course of the meal that they were itching to turn the table, something that shouldn't ever happen at a restaurant who fancies themselves of a certain caliber.

I’ve been to Olive & June several times and never felt rushed. Maybe I’ve just been more resistant to the waiter pushing the orders and just take my time. The last time I was there shortly before the pandemic I was on a date and we were there for about three hours with no hurry at all.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I love Barley Swine but yeah, $375 is just too much for that meal.  I haven't been since before COVID and I don't remember it being that much the last time we did the tasting menu, but maybe I was drunk...

My first visit I did the chef’s tasting, and while excellent there was a sticker shock. Since then I’ve just ordered a la carte and it’s much easier on the wallet. Damn good food.

we’ve done the tasting menu at Barley Swine several times and if memory serves, it’s usually around $90-$95 pp, which I think is reasonable for the quality, number of courses, and portions.  

so I suspect that for a $375 bill there, booze is at least half of that. 

If my wife and I are dropping multiple bills on "date night", it's maybe $150 on dinner and the rest on patio chairs or something like that.

So, as we're rounding into herd immunity, what are some good choices for Italian/Mexican/steak/Latin/Middle Eastern that might be in that $150 range for two?  New places, preferably.  We go to Asti, Fonda San Miguel, Clay Pit, Siena, etc. fairly often but I'd hope there are some new options opening up. 

That said, honestly, if I could get a steak frites as good as I had at Bartlett's (as Houston's) then I'd be thrilled.  I think @HenryJames swears by Hopfields, any other options?

• Hook 'Em 1