2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

10 minutes ago, 686 said:

Nice buck! He would be awesome with another year. As you say, not likely, but there’s a chance. Things have changed in many parts of Texas. I saw at least a half dozen bucks this weekend on our little low fence place that are bigger than anything I ever saw hunting the hill country in the 80s-early 2000’s; they would have been shot years before now. Antler restrictions, trail cameras, high fences, the internet, etc have all changed hunting society. Good luck

Add great range conditions to the variables.  Lots of rain the past two seasons.

My youngest really wanted to come with me to hunt, so wtf. Let's roll lil man.

Ended up just letting him get some meat. Low fenced and not likely to see an old ass buck. He double lung shot a 3.5 yr old 7pt. My son is hooked now.
He just turned 7.

How it started..292115cd69742408b8898850ee7c8dff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

LOVE chopping wood.  Of course, all we have are GD mesquite trees.  Parts are so damn flat and sparse you can watch your dog run away for two days.  

My pops finally invested in a hydraulic log splitter. Holy fuck what a life changer. It breezed through in 2 hours what would have taken me 6-7 of manual chopping. Fucker even got through the super dense/hard lacebark elm that I had to take out of my front yard (killed by the freeze). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2021 at 7:37 AM, hookemATL said:

Looking like it will be a high of 60/low 40 on Friday -> Saturday. In that type of weather, what’s my best option for processing?  I do not have access to walk-in/large cold storage. If I recall from a few pages back I can do the cooler/ice/drain/replace ice regularly, but curious if I can skip the “aging” and just process the entire carcass. 

Once you get the skin off of the deer (the sooner the better to start the cooling process), quarter the deer, pull the backstraps and tenders, cut off any neck meat you want and organs (if you're into that) and then get all of the meat you want to process into a cooler and get it cooled off.  It doesn't have to be super-duper cold and just cooled off to the low 40 degree range is perfect.  

I'm trying to get away from the "pour ice all over it" routine.  Sure, it cools the meat but then it soaks the meat in water, pulls out all of the blood in the tissue and is an E Coli machine.  Try freezing water in quart / liter-sized and smaller individual-sized plastic water bottles and put several of those frozen water bottles on top of and around the meat.  The meat will cool nicely, won't get drowned in water. When your done, you can wash the blood off of the plastic bottles and re-use them for your next bag of bones and save a bunch of money when not having to constantly buy ice that gets half melted on the way to your deer camp.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Try freezing water in quart / liter-sized and smaller individual-sized plastic water bottles and put several of those frozen water bottles on top of and around the meat.  The meat will cool nicely, won't get drowned in water. When your done, you can wash the blood off of the plastic bottles and re-use them for your next bag of bones and save a bunch of money when not having to constantly buy ice that gets half melted on the way to your deer camp.

I use a full mix of bottles from 1 gallon down to pint. Use it fishing and it’s a damn good way to save on ice and make your coolers cold before buying ice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Once you get the skin off of the deer (the sooner the better to start the cooling process), quarter the deer, pull the backstraps and tenders, cut off any neck meat you want and organs (if you're into that) and then get all of the meat you want to process into a cooler and get it cooled off.  It doesn't have to be super-duper cold and just cooled off to the low 40 degree range is perfect.  

I'm trying to get away from the "pour ice all over it" routine.  Sure, it cools the meat but then it soaks the meat in water, pulls out all of the blood in the tissue and is an E Coli machine.  Try freezing water in quart / liter-sized and smaller individual-sized plastic water bottles and put several of those frozen water bottles on top of and around the meat.  The meat will cool nicely, won't get drowned in water. When your done, you can wash the blood off of the plastic bottles and re-use them for your next bag of bones and save a bunch of money when not having to constantly buy ice that gets half melted on the way to your deer camp.

Great tips. I started using game bags and then throw the quarters in a 3mil garbage bag, then on ice. Keeps them dry and cold while the game bags soak some residual blood from the meat. I have been spoiled by the walk in at our ranch but it isn't a common thing in the places I visit. 

Sitting in the blind with my son hoping for a pig. He wants to shoot again. 😄 he has the fever.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Been watching some 2.5 yo 8s spar all day. Action this AM, more this PM. Should have some solid bucks in my area in the next few years. Had mature does one eve but my little one spooked them, and has been nothing but bucks and young does since.  No Javelina, no pigs.   We’ve been seeing a big cat and I swear something that looks like a bear. Weirdest shit. They keep crossing about 1100 yds from one of our stands. You can see the cats tail plain as day. The other thing, I don’t know wtf. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 11/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I am counting the broke off brow tine and adding points for the killer shot at 120 yds with a rifle he had never shot before. I am over the moon i got to experience this with him.

What rifle is he shooting?

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Been watching some 2.5 yo 8s spar all day. Action this AM, more this PM. Should have some solid bucks in my area in the next few years. Had mature does one eve but my little one spooked them, and has been nothing but bucks and young does since.  No Javelina, no pigs.   We’ve been seeing a big cat and I swear something that looks like a bear. Weirdest shit. They keep crossing about 1100 yds from one of our stands. You can see the cats tail plain as day. The other thing, I don’t know wtf. 

Work is fucking up my whole scene right now. I should be sitting in a fucking blind all week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What rifle is he shooting?

He started bb gun last year. Started letting him shoot the 10-22 this spring into summer. I asked if he wanted to try shooting my 308. It is a heavy barrel suppressed rig that weighs a ton so there is next to no recoil. He shot a few rounds at our range and liked it. That is what he shot the deer with. Sat it on the window so it was balanced with the bipod outside the window acting as a catch if you will. Worked perfectly.

He is the size of my 10 yr old. So he isn't your normal 7yr old. He is a big dude for his age.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Heading back Wednesday morning.  Stopping in SA to pick up oldest Pittsburgh nephew flying in for Tday.

His parents axcked him what he wanted  for Christmas and he said he wanted to go deer hunting with Aunt and Uncle Deadshank.   It will be a Hallmark moment for the entirety of his stay. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

On 11/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, Handcruser said:

300BLK is the correct answer here.

f5c1cf943daaf913e754212759467fe4.jpg

I am a fan of an AR 15 for kids shooting the first time.  Recoil is nothing.  Chamber it in a 300 BO or 6.5.  Even a 223 is fine if you use a Barnes TSX.  I like being able to adjust the stock.  Also a little pro tip for kids or rookies -- get a primo bipod with the trigger to adjust height.  Put butt of rifle on bipod and rest the front on a sandbag.  Makes the rifle rock solid and like shooting off a bench rest.  I sit to right of young uns and adjust it to up or down to where cross hairs are close to target and then let them adjust as needed and shoot.  Once I learned this trick, kids I hunt with have never missed.  Before, there were occasional misses.  Hell I use it now a lot of times when I shoot.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I am counting the broke off brow tine and adding points for the killer shot at 120 yds with a rifle he had never shot before. I am over the moon i got to experience this with him.

That is what it is all about.  Awesome!  That is a cool first buck.  Better than mine.

24 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That is what it is all about.  Awesome!  That is a cool first buck.  Better than mine.

He sat 5 times but tapped out tonight. His momma came up this afternoon to take him home tomorrow. He went out this morning and it was cold with no action. I think I broke him. Haha. Either way he told me this was the best time he had ever.  Proud dad for sure. I was worried we wouldn't have a soldier to take over this place when we are gone. No Mas. He will handle it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am a fan of an AR 15 for kids shooting the first time.  Recoil is nothing.

I put her behind a 556 this weekend for the first time (at range). The recoil was fine, that sort of percussive blast you get from the wrong brake didn’t jibe tho.  Hell I’m a grown ass man (almost) and I still don’t like it. Might build her one with a long barrel and let the gas do it’s thing.   Will have to look into a 300BO. At first glance the bolt action appears to mimic the same recoil as a .243 with light pills, or a lightly loaded 30-30 for that matter. I can tell you now she can’t handle either of those in non SA form. I keep this close because I think it’s cool to look at everything  

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I put her behind a 556 this weekend for the first time (at range). The recoil was fine, that sort of percussive blast you get from the wrong brake didn’t jibe tho.  Hell I’m a grown ass man (almost) and I still don’t like it. Might build her one with a long barrel and let the gas do it’s thing.   Will have to look into a 300BO. At first glance the bolt action appears to mimic the same recoil as a .243 with light pills, or a lightly loaded 30-30 for that matter. I can tell you now she can’t handle either of those in non SA form. I keep this close because I think it’s cool to look at everything  

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Bite the bit and get a suppressor. It solves a whole host of issues for kids. The boom stick isn't needed anymore. There is a better way. 😄 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Bite the bit and get a suppressor. It solves a whole host of issues for kids. The boom stick isn't needed anymore. There is a better way. 😄 

Yeah. I don’t understand any of the stuff involved.  I was just thinking the other day I need to get at min a .30 and .22 lined up.  One of the lease mates was showing me all his IR/NV shit he recently bought. And new suppressed something or other.  I’m over here buying up mint pre-64’s and old superposed(s) and falling far behind the (literal) arms race. 

• Like 1

I can’t wait for that day and neither can my dad. My kids are 2.5 and he’s already given me his granddads .22 for my boy and bought matching .243’s for both. My daughter surprisingly has come and sat with me behind the house a couple times. My boy can’t grasp the concept of quiet just yet, and he would rather be eating snacks and watching bluey anyways. Soon. Very soon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah. I don’t understand any of the stuff involved.  I was just thinking the other day I need to get at min a .30 and .22 lined up.  One of the lease mates was showing me all his IR/NV shit he recently bought. And new suppressed something or other.  I’m over here buying up mint pre-64’s and old superposed(s) and falling far behind the (literal) arms race. 

Ain't nothing wrong with that. Ask here or Google it. Suppressors are the answer to a whole host of stuff. Especially momma talking about hearing loss in her babies. I got a whole host of shit for letting him shoot that deer. Trust me this was way off schedule.  I will pay for this one way or the other.  Everyone is cool for now. Haha 

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

I can’t wait for that day and neither can my dad. My kids are 2.5 and he’s already given me his granddads .22 for my boy and bought matching .243’s for both. My daughter surprisingly has come and sat with me behind the house a couple times. My boy can’t grasp the concept of quiet just yet, and he would rather be eating snacks and watching bluey anyways. Soon. Very soon.

Mine went form not caring to 11 real quick. My oldest is pissed his little bro beat him to the punch. I told him to come out with me tonight and he can shoot something but he skipped. Video games are better for him.

All this kid gun talk (which I love) reminds me of a customer of mine who did probably the coolest thing imaginable for his two boys.  I was late to the game when I learned about it, otherwise I would've followed suit.  From their birth until their 18th birthday, he had a complete list of guns that he vowed (and fulfilled) to buy his kids.  1911 pistol at birth, Henry Golden Boy 22, youth single action 410... all the way up to a nice O/U 12 gauge (can't remember what brand) and a 300 Win Mag with a nice scope.  Significant birthdays were matched with significant guns, but ultimately, they had 19 guns including rifles, pistols and shotguns of all shapes and sizes that they could call their own when they were an adult with the intent that some were youth models that they could then pass down to their kids.   Maybe I can get my shit together and make this happen for my grandkids in the next decade or so.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Lol I’m kinda in that boat.

My 9yo and I built his first 300bo ar pistol together, decided on an optic that worked for him and it’ll be his when we go shooting or hunting…. That’ll be it outside of maybe a bolt action later when he’s committed to hunting. Anything else will be his own purchases when he’s much older or his inheritance when I’m gone.

10 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

All this kid gun talk (which I love) reminds me of a customer of mine who did probably the coolest thing imaginable for his two boys.  I was late to the game when I learned about it, otherwise I would've followed suit.  From their birth until their 18th birthday, he had a complete list of guns that he vowed (and fulfilled) to buy his kids.  1911 pistol at birth, Henry Golden Boy 22, youth single action 410... all the way up to a nice O/U 12 gauge (can't remember what brand) and a 300 Win Mag with a nice scope.  Significant birthdays were matched with significant guns, but ultimately, they had 19 guns including rifles, pistols and shotguns of all shapes and sizes that they could call their own when they were an adult with the intent that some were youth models that they could then pass down to their kids.   Maybe I can get my shit together and make this happen for my grandkids in the next decade or so.

Yeah that's a lot of guns for a kid.  I tried doing something similar with mine but on a reduced scale.  Goal was a decent arsenal: 22 youth rifle, 22 semi-auto rifle, 22 pistol, 9mm pistol, AR, centerfire rifle, shotgun.  I've done the 22 rifles, 22 pistols, 9mm pistols, AR and 1 shotgun.  I have a 30-30 lever gun one will get and the other will get a 30-30 Win that is my dad's.   Need to finish up the list I guess.

I’ll be in the stand by 3pm Friday. Hope this thicc bitch pokes her head out. If not the rest of the night will be spent stalking piggies.

Saving the bucks for my buddie who has never deer hunted before.  Hoping to give him the best experience possible.  Good luck to everyone!

85C9099A-4039-4517-9F25-31006F33C776.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

I’ll be in the stand by 3pm Friday. Hope this thicc bitch pokes her head out. If not the rest of the night will be spent stalking piggies.
Saving the bucks for my buddie who has never deer hunted before.  Hoping to give him the best experience possible.  Good luck to everyone!

85C9099A-4039-4517-9F25-31006F33C776.thumb.jpeg.2525a59132ad70c19fbc9ab6e93732d0.jpeg

Is the kiddie pool a watering station?

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

85C9099A-4039-4517-9F25-31006F33C776.jpeg

It's unos  to aces, but I feel like starting new folks out on does sets a better precedent to teach folks to properly manage the local deer population. In my experience they are just as excited to shoot their first deer. That said, if a nice bick walks out...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

It's unos  to aces, but I feel like starting new folks out on does sets a better precedent to teach folks to properly manage the local deer population. In my experience they are just as excited to shoot their first deer. That said, if a nice bick walks out...

I agree. If it’s someone who will be hunting again, have them take a doe or a spike their first hunt. It’s still a huge adrenaline rush (my son’s first deer was a doe, and it was a huge moment for him). And it really gets them on board with management, and makes the eventual buck that much more exciting.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1