2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

18 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Kstate fan here looking to soak up some longhorn tears tomorrow and checked this thread and am surprised it's all deer. Are there no pheasants or quail in TX?

Enjoy the tears, and may they keep you satisfied as you fizzle thru the new B12 and eventually land in the MAC.   Plenty of us are wing shooters who duck and quail hunt, and a few of the Yankees in the panhandle are fortunate enough to hunt pheasant.  

6 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Kstate fan here looking to soak up some longhorn tears tomorrow and checked this thread and am surprised it's all deer. Are there no pheasants or quail in TX?

My family has some shit ass land in NW Kansas that they were still giving away for free in the 1890's that has some pheasant on it. Got 6 on opening weekend 2 weeks ago.

Here are 5 of them and my German shorthaired pointer who doesn't point because I picked her up at a shelter but will jump in the nastiest weed pile there is without hesitation.

02ab1e9558c9a669b08e0e9b493c9d61.jpg

Nice cocks.  Good looking dog. 

Bring a 55 gallon drum for our tears as there will be plenty.   

My tall cull Buck just won’t come back. I’ve been watching this 9 all morning but it looks like -1 yr version of the one my wife shot so I have to pass. Also some does and spikes, enough to keep things interesting at least and beats the hell out of shopping. 

03C70840-1481-4B48-9224-DAB4A33876A4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

My family has some shit ass land in NW Kansas that they were still giving away for free in the 1890's that has some pheasant on it. Got 6 on opening weekend 2 weeks ago.

Here are 5 of them and my German shorthaired pointer who doesn't point because I picked her up at a shelter but will jump in the nastiest weed pile there is without hesitation.

02ab1e9558c9a669b08e0e9b493c9d61.jpg

There are pheasants in the panhandle but not many posters from that area in this thread. 

Quail are hit and miss but for the most part have declined just about everywhere for the past 20-30 years, just like the rest of North America. We had a few coveys appear on our place 4-5 years ago but that was an aberration and now they are gone again. Too bad, because I like shooting (at) them. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am all out of tears at this point. Maybe six weeks ago, but they are gone now and have been replaced with old fashioned French style ennui. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Bingo.   Nephew got his first buck. 4.5 year old 8 point.  Field weight 165 lbs.  .243 double-lung and heart shot.  

Got to track his blood trail 75 yards for the full effect.   

Skinned, caped, quartered and on the rocks in the box.  

Off to taxi after breakfast.  

His old man is ecstatic and my nephew is, as well.   

A great day!!
721F0A35-9A09-40E4-93DC-7DD8F76056B2.thumb.jpeg.fc5ce2fd115e6a15c1aecec39136b0d9.jpeg

Nice! That custom rifle setup looks great.
  • Hook 'Em 3

They were rutting hard in Bastrop County this morning. 5-6 different times there were does at the feeder and a buck came in and chased them down. Had a decent look at an 8 pt but he was too horny and wouldn’t stop to eat. Hope he is back next time. Hope everyone is staying dry and warm🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

They are hard to see other than on camera. Cray to see that pic.

I’m not joking when I say I see ~15 every single day. Maybe not at blind, but if not they’ll be somewhere between where I’m at and where I’m going.  What I haven’t seen lately are any hogs or javelinas.  

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Boy just dropped his first deer with one on my ARs. He is in cloud nine right now trying to get out of the blind to go see where he hit it. It made it about 30 yds. Making him ride out a few more minutes cause a couple more deer popped out. But doesn’t look like anything I was to take a shot at. 

Pic?  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

"Doe" ended up being a yearling spike in the field.  Boy seem non-phased, didn't phase his smile. I'm a little disappointed in his spotter though.  Took a buck this morning to round out the trip. Didn't make it a yard from his spot.

23-F308-CA-B41-E-4451-ACA5-0-D5389518-F0

149-A16-AA-18-A4-4-A57-BAAF-B3-F0997-FAD

FEC1-A2-E9-2-AC6-43-DD-A00-E-39-E02-EC1-

My first deer was a spike that was originally thought a doe. I still have those tiny antlers in my home office 30 years later.

• Like 1

Question:
I’m not really a deer hunter. Hogs and coyotes are more my speed.

Does a whitetail always remain a 4 point or 8 point or whatever? If I see a big 6 this year who is young, would he always be a six or can that change to an 8 or a 4 or a 12 or whatever?

They will usually put on more antler mass and usually points as they mature. Most mature 4+ year old bucks in Texas will be at least an 8 point, and then more depending on nutrition, weather, genetics, etc.

CHIEF Jr. told me he really wanted my Book Auodad more than a 170+ WT. So yesterday morning we saw the biggest one (Number One) with the herd. Number two might be a little bit longer, but doesn't have as much mass. So we made a trade. I get to shoot whatever trophy whitetail we see, this year. The big bastard was still behind a mesquite tree when CHIEF Jr. let it rip. I wasn't ready, didn't see which way it went. He was pretty confident on the shot, he had aimed for the heart between an 8 inch fork in the tree. We went down, he climbed into the pen to look for blood. I immediately put down our weiner dog and followed him straight behind the pen about 30 yards, where this sonuvabitch laid dead, with a heart and double lung shot.
Jeffrey-Auodad-Pen.jpg 
Jeffrey-Auodad-Ranger.jpg
CHIEF

1 - freaking nice ram.

2 - goddamn….when did the boy become a grown-ass man? WTF? I feel old now.

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Question:
I’m not really a deer hunter. Hogs and coyotes are more my speed.

Does a whitetail always remain a 4 point or 8 point or whatever? If I see a big 6 this year who is young, would he always be a six or can that change to an 8 or a 4 or a 12 or whatever?

There have been lots of studies done on both wild and captive populations of deer, and the results are still controversial. Some folks believe that a deer that is inferior while it is young will be inferior when it is mature. Some folks believe that environmental factors play a bigger part in how many points it will have while it is young than genetics. Just like some kids mature later than others, some deer do the same. I dont think there is any way to really tell what their genetic potential is until they reach maturity. That said, if you need some meat for the freezer and a spike walks out and that is the only legal shot you have, smoke him. In general, shoot does unless you have a buck you would be proud to post on here, but if doe days are up and you aren't on MLD property, shoot a spike if you want the meat. Just don't be one of those folks who shoots anything with horns and is to macho to shoot a doe. Also, get a muzzleloader. You get two extra weeks and can shoot does again. Extra points if it is a traditional muzzleloader with a side lock of any variety.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. told me he really wanted my Book Auodad more than a 170+ WT. So yesterday morning we saw the biggest one (Number One) with the herd. Number two might be a little bit longer, but doesn't have as much mass. So we made a trade. I get to shoot whatever trophy whitetail we see, this year. The big bastard was still behind a mesquite tree when CHIEF Jr. let it rip. I wasn't ready, didn't see which way it went. He was pretty confident on the shot, he had aimed for the heart between an 8 inch fork in the tree. We went down, he climbed into the pen to look for blood. I immediately put down our weiner dog and followed him straight behind the pen about 30 yards, where this sonuvabitch laid dead, with a heart and double lung shot.

Jeffrey-Auodad-Ranger.jpg

CHIEF

That little dog is one cocky SOB. Love it. 

I've told my son I'm at point in my life where I'd rather just eat the deer than shoot one and have to do all the attendant work, but I'd make an exception for something big and unusual like an aoudad or a nilgai.

• Hook 'Em 1