2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

On 1/21/2022 at 8:39 AM, JCHIL said:

These white turkeys have been around our feeders for a few years but we haven’t been able to harvest one yet.  I think they would make a cool mount...  Anyone ever seen white ones like these? Albino’s? 

BFE0B812-5EA2-41C3-AB95-926549DAB6DC.jpeg

Jail breakin' summbitches.  They're going feral!

turkeyfarming_14_custom-2f008793506497b3

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah,  not putting it in the feeder itself. Just want to attract them to the location. 

Today I poured a trail of corn and cherry koolaid from the original spot over to the future feeder location where there is another camera set up. Put a five gallon bucket full of corn and strawberry jello and water and will just leave it there for a few days and see what eventually shows up at night  

14 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yeah,  not putting it in the feeder itself. Just want to attract them to the location. 

Today I poured a trail of corn and cherry koolaid from the original spot over to the future feeder location where there is another camera set up. Put a five gallon bucket full of corn and strawberry jello and water and will just leave it there for a few days and see what eventually shows up at night  

We used to do that at my buds ranch in Dripping Springs.  Overrun with hogs, so we had to set up dedicated spots for them as far away from the deer feeders as we could.  Buckets of fermented corn.  Hog pipes.  Even railroad ties covered in creosote buried upright like a scratching post.  

It's so hit & miss with those damn things

Headed out tomorrow to meet up with the last of the Hole in the Wall gang that I used to hunt with.   He’s ready to shove off to South Africa and live out the end of his days.  He is giving me a few of his old keepsakes and firearms that he can’t take with him.  

I did the math with him and he was only 48 in this picture.  I was almost 26 at the time and I’m now 58.  

Time flies.  Vaya con dios, mi amigo. 

And don’t let your meat loaf.  

7DB1FAB5-8BD0-415C-940D-A510A40B45AD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Headed out tomorrow to meet up with the last of the Hole in the Wall gang that I used to hunt with.   He’s ready to shove off to South Africa and live out the end of his days.  He is giving me a few of his old keepsakes and firearms that he can’t take with him.  

I did the math with him and he was only 48 in this picture.  I was almost 26 at the time and I’m now 58.  

The guy with his arm around you looks and appears to be the same temperament of a good friend of mine.  Getting old sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

HOLY SHIT. every vid of hog hunting shows hogs running away. this is like hand to hand combat. crazy video. 

graphic. bacon getting kilt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/sdogy4/hog_hunting/

They sure as chit will charge you.  Their eyesight is crap, but they lock on to you, it can be game on in those tight, confined spaces.  Most occurrences are with hogs being ambushed at feeders, etc so they don't know where the shots are coming from.  I've been in some dicey situations in thick brush where I had a rifle and pistol and there was NO WAY I was going into that scrub with angry hogs in there.  Also why I always carry a pistol (OWB) in pig country.  

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Have you ever been to the Hole in the Wall?  

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

In Austin?  Yes.

I asked because I tried to find it once, and failed.  I am from the high plains, a half-day's drive from Cheyenne.  Back in my prime I think I hit 12 or 13 consecutive years of CFD.  One year after the rodeo my family had a reunion in Rapid City, SD.  On my drive north, and on a whim, I took off cross-country to find the Hole in the Wall.  I just wanted to get there and say, "Someone count one two three, go!"  This was prior to smartphones, and all I had was the little red square in my Rand McNally map that said "Hole in the Wall".  I drove around the mountains in my 2wd pickup until it started to rain, and then booked it out of there.  I thought, "Well, if it was easy to find, it wouldn't work very damn well for a hideout."  Haven't yet made it back with better navigation and a better vehicle.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I asked because I tried to find it once, and failed.  I am from the high plains, a half-day's drive from Cheyenne.  Back in my prime I think I hit 12 or 13 consecutive years of CFD.  One year after the rodeo my family had a reunion in Rapid City, SD.  On my drive north, and on a whim, I took off cross-country to find the Hole in the Wall.  I just wanted to get there and say, "Someone count one two three, go!"  This was prior to smartphones, and all I had was the little red square in my Rand McNally map that said "Hole in the Wall".  I drove around the mountains in my 2wd pickup until it started to rain, and then booked it out of there.  I thought, "Well, if it was easy to find, it wouldn't work very damn well for a hideout."  Haven't yet made it back with better navigation and a better vehicle.   

That IS a csb.   I like it 

Two different groups came by last night two hours apart and ate pecans off the ground for an hour but didn't go anywhere near the feeder 100 yards away with corn and the Sawaiian Crush. Can't leave a corn trail either because the damn starlings will eat it all. Starlings will also eat the hog bait, too. 

Next step I guess is to mix up a bucket of the fermented stuff and let it sit for a few days then bury it in a hole next to the feeder and hope they come check it out. 

This location is literally right up in the corner between neighbors' fence and the highway, there is nowhere to set up a blind or shoot them that would be safe.

Also does anyone know why these Spypoint cameras are consistently 10 degrees too cold? The ones we have out at the other ranch are the same way. 

image.jpeg.0dbc5247ea734467406d64f172664783.jpeg

image.jpeg.2d95175179bb9d89aa47373e2c6a91a7.jpeg

• Like 2

My Spypoints do the same thing on the temp. As far as the hogs and their behavior, you’re overthinking it. You don’t need to lay down corn or bait trails to the feeder. They’ll find it.  They also change up their behavior quite a bit. They may show up at the feeder the same time for a few days and then disappear for days or weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Two different groups came by last night two hours apart and ate pecans off the ground for an hour but didn't go anywhere near the feeder 100 yards away with corn and the Sawaiian Crush. Can't leave a corn trail either because the damn starlings will eat it all. Starlings will also eat the hog bait, too. 

There are two reasons THB isn’t successful. 1) it won’t make pigs/deer come in if you don’t already have any. Had a guy gripe at me that he put it out and hadn’t seen anything for a week straight! I asked when the last was he saw a pig on his property and he said a couple years ago. Doh. It won’t make them magically appear if there’s a history of them not being there.

And now #2, which sounds like your problem. If there’s a food source already there that they’re familiar with or one that they prefer, it will take a bit more time to bring them over. Just like in the spring when the grass is green and the deer traffic at your corner feeder slows way down, or at the beginning of deer season when the acorns start falling and they all but abandon the feeders for those couple weeks.

Give it a little more time and if you decide THB isn’t doing what it’s supposed I’ll make sure you get a refund.

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

There are two reasons THB isn’t successful. 1) it won’t make pigs/deer come in if you don’t already have any. Had a guy gripe at me that he put it out and hadn’t seen anything for a week straight! I asked when the last was he saw a pig on his property and he said a couple years ago. Dohemoji2357.png. It won’t make them magically appear if there’s a history of them not being there.

And now #2, which sounds like your problem. If there’s a food source already there that they’re familiar with or one that they prefer, it will take a bit more time to bring them over. Just like in the spring when the grass is green and the deer traffic at your corner feeder slows way down, or at the beginning of deer season when the acorns start falling and they all but abandon the feeders for those couple weeks.

Give it a little more time and if you decide THB isn’t doing what it’s supposed I’ll make sure you get a refund.

Ha ha - no worries. I've only had it out a few days. I'm not giving up yet. Not complaining at all about the bait. 

On the pecans, I have a ton of shitty little native pecans on the ground right now that aren't economical to pick up or sell. They will eventually will all be eaten and then I suspect my feeder will get more interest. Agree with that point 100%. 

I am sure that once they finally find the feeder they will become regulars in the spring and summer after the pecans are gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah we track the hog patterns on property and they are super pattern but in sporadic ways…

For a week they’ll hit every feeder clockwise starting with my main feeder at a set time and make their way back by 2am…

Then all of the sudden they all disappear for 2-3 days and next time the Sounders are split up and they’re coming only after my noon timers and stop coming at night.

Then for a week they completely bypass my main feeder and are sharing a feeder with the cows, for some weird reason.

We usually have 4 days a rotation and you never know if that next pattern is going to be “disappear for 4 days” right as we are showing up to shoot some fuckers.

Sometimes we stop a feeder to force them to one side of the property more regularly. You can try that so they “find” your bait instead of hitting the old spots.

Well, a disappointing duck season near Austin. Only got out to our place a couple of times, including this morning. And had @hayden_horn and his boy with me, hoping to put the boy in his first ducks. Our place is usually a solid draw - maybe not limits, but almost always a few batches of shootable birds. The first hunt, we had a single gad come in late, he circled once and bolted. This morning, a group of wigeon, gave a good circle and I thought they were about to commit, then bolted. And that’s it. No other shots.

We got to watch a kingfisher and an egret do their work, so that was cool, but really wanted to put the boy on some birds. And now, we gotta wait till next dove season.

Still, at least got the chance to teach the boy to shoot a 12 gauge….and he has a damned solid knack for it. He powdered clays like hell, and he’s itching to get back out there. Which I think is damned cool.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I don’t recall who mentioned it up thread, but the ducks appear to have stayed in Kansas this year. I don’t duck hunt but I have several friends that would probably choose duck hunting over sex with Yasmine Bleeth. They typically hunt Knox and Haskell counties and clean up, but this year the only success they had were two trips up to the Kansas plains.

I don’t recall who mentioned it up thread, but the ducks appear to have stayed in Kansas this year. I don’t duck hunt but I have several friends that would probably choose duck hunting over sex with Yasmine Bleeth. They typically hunt Knox and Haskell counties and clean up, but this year the only success they had were two trips up to the Kansas plains.
You have some messed up friends.

12 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

2020 Yasmine and I don't blame them.  Time was not kind. 

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

My depravity knows no bounds.

• Like 1

We put in a new hog motion green light today and re-baited our other 2 light stations.  We put these up after deer season about 50-75 yards away from our feeder pens.  Our formula is rice bran topped with corn topped with a 1lb bag of brown sugar.  We have been feeding every 3-4 days and the hogs are coming like clockwork every day before dark and all night.  We are getting ready for a hog contest starting next week so it’s game on in a few days.  

New bait around 4 pm today...

0342305E-1600-4F0C-A74F-3A548ED658F5.thumb.jpeg.9fb81488f711f505ac0f59698e6aed7e.jpeg

3 hours later - elbows and assholes: 

84F86ADA-8C79-4945-81DF-0F7FE5AA598E.jpeg.2908187953577efc519decf7e2cf7d4f.jpeg

I like using rice bran and corn because the deer like it too.  Here is our new light installed today :

A082C4C9-6E4D-4ABE-84EB-2947B442494E.thumb.jpeg.b54f02a2d882d795c35cb4caf1884a89.jpegand 3 hours later:

741B6371-2644-4924-8821-3341F42F6AB2.jpeg.68078ec92a45e34b925894409463c015.jpeg75CDE5F1-0F12-416C-840D-F3EA91F5F618.jpeg.2af300bd147d51432b747503434d8ce0.jpeg

2985685D-93A5-452C-AE3E-D302E3B9939A.jpeg

Edited by JCHIL
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, a disappointing duck season near Austin. Only got out to our place a couple of times, including this morning. And had @hayden_horn and his boy with me, hoping to put the boy in his first ducks. Our place is usually a solid draw - maybe not limits, but almost always a few batches of shootable birds. The first hunt, we had a single gad come in late, he circled once and bolted. This morning, a group of wigeon, gave a good circle and I thought they were about to commit, then bolted. And that’s it. No other shots.

We got to watch a kingfisher and an egret do their work, so that was cool, but really wanted to put the boy on some birds. And now, we gotta wait till next dove season.

Still, at least got the chance to teach the boy to shoot a 12 gauge….and he has a damned solid knack for it. He powdered clays like hell, and he’s itching to get back out there. Which I think is damned cool.

yeah he can't stop talking about how much he enjoyed himself. thanks for taking your time to give him the excitement and experience. 

he's also nice enough not to rub it in his old man's face that he's a better shot. haha. 

Question for those who know:

I am going to order a tank blind for my place in Scurry County. The only question left is whether to pay for the extra insulation. I'm tempted to do it, but also worried that it could get especially hot whenever it's not 20 degrees outside, especially hog hunting in the spring and summer and there are 2-3 people inside the blind. 

Any opinions here?

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I am going to order a tank blind for my place in Scurry County. The only question left is whether to pay for the extra insulation. I'm tempted to do it, but also worried that it could get especially hot whenever it's not 20 degrees outside, especially hog hunting in the spring and summer and there are 2-3 people inside the blind. 

Any opinions here?

None of our fiberglass blinds are insulated except for carpet on the floor.  If the windows seal up, you're going to be fine.  I always wind up shedding layers inside the blind, even in the coldest weather

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Any opinions here?

Mine is insulated, but it was going to a buyer in Alberta, Canada. It's really big inside, so it still took a lot of propane to warm up. I went through a propane container about every three hunts. Uninsulated, I would think you would go through a container per hunt, you would need to leave the heater on at all times instead of intermittent. For what Travis will charge to insulate the blind, it is worth it. We hunt fairly close to each other, the temperatures are a lot closer to Kansas than South Texas.

CHIEF 

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

None of our fiberglass blinds are insulated except for carpet on the floor.  If the windows seal up, you're going to be fine.  I always wind up shedding layers inside the blind, even in the coldest weather

What glass blind? Most a made with a sheet of foam that’s glassed over. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What glass blind? Most a made with a sheet of foam that’s glassed over. 

Dillon blinds.  I may be wrong on the construction material, but they are not insulated (they are also getting pretty long in the tooth as well.  Maybe 10+ years old)

Edited by BabaYaga