Regional Dishes/Drinks of Texas

GreenspointTexas

On 8/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, We’reTexas said:

Antone’s is still around but unfortunately it’s history and significance isn’t really appreciated, which is unfortunate because it’s one of those unique Texas things this thread is about. 

I’d add parisa in Medina County. 

HEB sells pre-made Antone's sandwiches. They're pretty damn good. It made me look the place up and want to visit.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:13 PM, horn4life said:

The Dagwood at Hut's Hamburgers, Jake's fried oysters, and an Austin's Favorite at Mad Dog and Beans....

A plate of Jake’s fried oysters cost me several thousand dollars years ago. Pearl in one and I chomped with beer fueled vigor and it perfectly landed between four molars cracking all four. Several crowns and a couple of root canals later and I am more cautious with fried O’s. Plate of Jake’s O’s with onion rings was spectacular regardless of the stray pearl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:48 PM, Brisketexan said:

Are the old Houston style semi-italian po boys still an iconic thing?  Antone's is still making them (and I love them -- cool fact, my mother served Antone's po boys at my christening).  Zinnanti's off of Braeswood was another classic, long gone now.

I only made it to Zinnante's once, and it was the closest thing I ever had to my first po'boy, and therefore my ideal -- the ones made at the deli inside the Butera's supermarket on Bissonnet and Hazard. (Not the more famous Butera's restaurants.)

On 8/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, We’reTexas said:

Antone’s is still around but unfortunately it’s history and significance isn’t really appreciated, which is unfortunate because it’s one of those unique Texas things this thread is about. 

Correct; there's a reason for that. 

On 8/17/2021 at 7:16 AM, Neonmoon said:

Antone’s is sold in all grocery stores now, but it’s not the same. I remember walking into Antone’s on Voss as a kid, the smell of fresh baked bread and cured meats was unforgettable, then having then make a sub fresh anyway you wanted it, was unbeatable. The stuff sold in stores now is a shadow of the former store. 

Correct. The aroma at the original on Taft was incredible. 

On 8/24/2021 at 8:34 PM, ztejas said:

HEB sells pre-made Antone's sandwiches. They're pretty damn good. It made me look the place up and want to visit.

No, no they are not.

You are in for a treat when you get a real one though. Pro tip: don't settle for grabbing them off the rack. Ask for them to make it fresh for you, and I get extra mayo and chow chow. You will need a stack of napkins but it is the ultimate Antone's. I kind of think the red wrapper super deluxe is not as good as the plain green wrapper original. Less on occasion can really be more, but not when it comes to chow chow and mayo.

As to why they are not as renowned as they should be, the entire Antone's clan has been at war with each other for decades. It even crosses international boundaries -- an Australian wing popped up in town about 20 years ago. They are Lebanese, and their family is like a scaled-down version of their ancestral homeland. Little tribelets that can't stand each other always at each other's throats. One wing wanted to take the brand national and for a while you could get them at the gas station around the corner from my dad's house in Nashville but that fell apart not long after it got going and I think that added fuel to the fire.

For a while there you had rival Antone's. The only difference was one used a round A on the sign's font and the other used a pointy one. One of them sucked and the other did not -- I think the round A was the good one. After that was litigated out of existence a rash of knock-off Antone's popped up all over town. Same font, same colors, but if you squint at the signs you'll that one of them is Anthonie's, another is Antoine's, and another is Anthony's. Honestly these are usually pretty good -- making those sandwiches is not rocket surgery and if you use good ingredients you can't fuck them up. 

The supermarket ones are way too dry and the bread is too old. If you doctor them at home with more mayo and chow chow, they become barely serviceable but if not, they flat suck, and I think that has destroyed their reputation over the years. I mean, the real heads know the deal, but if you were a newbie and tried them out first from the store, well, most people don't have the same reaction ztejas did.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:45 AM, After irth said:

Nonnie’s Bakery in Caldwell does them right, in my opinion. 

Nonnie’s in Caldwell slams, but why get the boudin one? There’s so many better options for a kolache, it’s like Hank Hill says about Christian Rock— you’re not making church music better, you’re making rock and roll worse. 

Rice doesn’t belong inside bread. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Nonnie’s in Caldwell slams, but why get the boudin one? There’s so many better options for a kolache, it’s like Hank Hill says about Christian Rock— you’re not making church music better, you’re making rock and roll worse. 

<insert dumbass little girl “why not both?” meme here>

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 1:56 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

If you are not getting your Kolache's at Jake's in Caldwell you are missing out.  They are only open a few days a year though.  I discovered them while driving through on a Thanksgiving morning to the MIL's house and it was life changing.

edit.  Just realized it is Kolache Fest in Caldwell this weekend.  

Edited by Moby Ric
  • Like 1

No, no they are not.
You are in for a treat when you get a real one though. Pro tip: don't settle for grabbing them off the rack. Ask for them to make it fresh for you, and I get extra mayo and chow chow. You will need a stack of napkins but it is the ultimate Antone's. I kind of think the red wrapper super deluxe is not as good as the plain green wrapper original. Less on occasion can really be more, but not when it comes to chow chow and mayo.
As to why they are not as renowned as they should be, the entire Antone's clan has been at war with each other for decades. It even crosses international boundaries -- an Australian wing popped up in town about 20 years ago. They are Lebanese, and their family is like a scaled-down version of their ancestral homeland. Little tribelets that can't stand each other always at each other's throats. One wing wanted to take the brand national and for a while you could get them at the gas station around the corner from my dad's house in Nashville but that fell apart not long after it got going and I think that added fuel to the fire.
For a while there you had rival Antone's. The only difference was one used a round A on the sign's font and the other used a pointy one. One of them sucked and the other did not -- I think the round A was the good one. After that was litigated out of existence a rash of knock-off Antone's popped up all over town. Same font, same colors, but if you squint at the signs you'll that one of them is Anthonie's, another is Antoine's, and another is Anthony's. Honestly these are usually pretty good -- making those sandwiches is not rocket surgery and if you use good ingredients you can't fuck them up. 
The supermarket ones are way too dry and the bread is too old. If you doctor them at home with more mayo and chow chow, they become barely serviceable but if not, they flat suck, and I think that has destroyed their reputation over the years. I mean, the real heads know the deal, but if you were a newbie and tried them out first from the store, well, most people don't have the same reaction ztejas did.

You are very picky. In the mid 80’s I had a poboy every single day for lunch from the original Taft location during my 1L year in law school. What I get now at HEB is not substantially different.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

You are very picky. In the mid 80’s I had a poboy every single day for lunch from the original Taft location during my 1L year in law school. What I get now at HEB is not substantially different.

I’m with @MaybeACoordinator on this one. I picked one up at heb a while back because I heard they were good.  It was just like he said, dry, old bread and not much flavor.  

I’m with [mention=77]MaybeACoordinator[/mention] on this one. I picked one up at heb a while back because I heard they were good.  It was just like he said, dry, old bread and not much flavor.  

Switch HEBs. The Antones poboys at the Fountainview/San Felipe location are fresh with lots of flavor.

37 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m with @MaybeACoordinator on this one. I picked one up at heb a while back because I heard they were good.  It was just like he said, dry, old bread and not much flavor.  

The ones I've had are very passable for a $5 pre-made sandwich. Maybe a little soggy but the chow chow meat and cheese was fine and the bread was decent for what I was expecting.

15 hours ago, HouTex said:

In the early 2000s my dad would pick me up from Gregory-Lincoln middle school football practice, and if we were hungry we'd stop at the original Taft location and grab a sandwich. 

I've gotten a couple (literally 2) in the past years HEB has carried them, and after each poboy I admit that I only got it for nostalgia, because there's really nothing special about that sandwich. The pre-made HEB sandwiches are better.