The Memphis Tigers

shadow_operative

OT:  Watched a bit of the '73 NCAA Finals on YT the other day, the game Big Red went 21-22 for 44pts. and the Bruins won their zillionth title in a row.  But that MSU team was pretty damn good, Larry Finch and Larry Kenyon on their roster and Bartow's a very underrated/under-appreciated coach.  

On 8/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, Nolacycling said:

He cheats in recruiting, right?

Most coaches would have gotten away with what he did at SMU at most schools. But because he's Larry and because we're us, that was a disaster waiting to happen. Not sure about his past transgressions. 

No idea what the AAC will look like this year but it seems like it's UH and everyone else. Not sure what's going on at WSU and SMU and Cincy are kind of question marks as well. I'd think Memphis should at least make the tourney. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As a Memphis fan, I'm not shocked, perhaps pleasantly surprised, by Penny pulling off the number 1 recruiting class. I still have some doubts about his coaching abilities, but hopefully all the coaching help he has brought in can remedy his shortcomings.  My biggest concern going into this season is not the coaching or players' ability, but the very real possibility that the Infractions Referral Committee brings the hammer down and guys quit (literally or figuratively). I'll be at the forum either way, I guess. 

On 8/19/2021 at 8:46 AM, Underdog said:

OT:  Watched a bit of the '73 NCAA Finals on YT the other day, the game Big Red went 21-22 for 44pts. and the Bruins won their zillionth title in a row.  But that MSU team was pretty damn good, Larry Finch and Larry Kenyon on their roster and Bartow's a very underrated/under-appreciated coach.  

Underdog, we beat that MSU team at Mid South that year. If I remember, Larrabee hit a couple of free throws to win the game at the end. Finch came back to coach the tigers but I think that he had a medical problem and he passed away. A helluva player as was Kenon. Bartow was one of the best coaches in those days.. When they came to Austin, they had a 6'10 kid that could move. I think his name was Washington. When they played zone, his area was from the top of the circle to the hoop and he would rotate up and down the lane depending where the ball was. Some really good teams back in the day.

I think after Wooden stepped down, they had a former UCLA player try to take over but that didn't work. Bartow was their next pick but replacing Wooden wasn't easy for anyone.

• Like 1

It's not cheating any more. It's NIL. There's no real enforcement mechanism for money going to players any longer. And yes, Memphis is doing it better than anyone else at the moment. At least in basketball. FedEx is a key player there.

Also, I don't believe there's a highly competitive basketball program in the country that hasn't done plenty outside the rules over the last 30 years or so. Singling out either Memphis or SMU at this juncture doesn't make sense to me.

The NCAA is still obviously enforcing impermissible contact with players and recruits, but I highly doubt we'll see any more punishments handed down for compensation.

• Like 1

When you think about it, this is the perfect era for Penny and Brown to be coaching. I love Larry and think he might be the best XO coach of all time but damn that guy doesn’t give a shit about the (old) rules in recruiting. He just wants to coach and doesn’t care who you put on his court or how he got there. He will coach hard as hell. 

On 9/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, HtownHorn said:

Memphis should petition for the Big East and go indy in football. Losing Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF to the Big 12 is going to turn a decent league into a single bid league.

The Big 12 said it may not be done expanding and Memphis was the next school on its list.  If the B12 loses a school like Kansas, Tech or Okie St then they’ll get their invite.  Without UH, Cincy, and UCF in the AAC, Memphis should be able to dominate.  No reason to join the Big East, just win.