Austin neighborhood suggestions

While I lived of and on in Austin for 10 years, it’s also been nearly 10 years since the last time I lived there. Thus, I am not up to date on all the new neighborhoods and quality of schools. So I need some input.

My boss is moving to Austin from Europe by the end of the year. The office he will be working out of is near Bergstrom. Obviously I don’t want to suggest north Austin to him. Suburbs are fine. I don’t have a budget but let’s assume $450k and at least a 3/2. One kid will go into 1st grade.

I was going to suggest Buda. Commute wouldn’t be slit your wrist bad. More affordable (lulz) and schools are good (I think?). Why about far south Austin? Suggestions on which areas have best schools?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

While I lived of and on in Austin for 10 years, it’s also been nearly 10 years since the last time I lived there. Thus, I am not up to date on all the new neighborhoods and quality of schools. So I need some input.

My boss is moving to Austin from Europe by the end of the year. The office he will be working out of is near Bergstrom. Obviously I don’t want to suggest north Austin to him. Suburbs are fine. I don’t have a budget but let’s assume $450k and at least a 3/2. One kid will go into 1st grade.

I was going to suggest Buda. Commute wouldn’t be slit your wrist bad. More affordable (lulz) and schools are good (I think?). Why about far south Austin? Suggestions on which areas have best schools?

Thanks.

the commute coming out of buda will eat him up alive, but he will be able to find something decent in the $450K range.

he won't be able to get jack shit anywhere in south austin for $450K. 

he can always look in round rock or pflugerville off 130. the commute isn't that bad on the tolls, and he should be able to find something ok for that price range

the commute coming out of buda will eat him up alive, but he will be able to find something decent in the $450K range.
he won't be able to get jack shit anywhere in south austin for $450K. 
he can always look in round rock or pflugerville off 130. the commute isn't that bad on the tolls, and he should be able to find something ok for that price range

What about the 45 to 183 from Buda? I know it’s not the most direct approach, but can’t be worse than 35, no?

I pulled up some houses near Brodie and Davis and a few not far from there that were under $450. What is the school situation around there?

There are lots of developments out east near Bergstrom, e.g., Easton Park. People who are moving here from out-of-state and don't know any better are snatching them up. The schools out there are Del Valle, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new developments take the area over, a la Dripping Springs over the past 15 years.

Edited by Red Six
Homonyms
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What about the 45 to 183 from Buda? I know it’s not the most direct approach, but can’t be worse than 35, no?

I pulled up some houses near Brodie and Davis and a few not far from there that were under $450. What is the school situation around there?

We lived near Brodie and Davis up until about a year ago. Elementary school in our neighborhood was good, but the middle school was so-so and the neighborhood mostly fed into Crockett (which isn't terrible, but isn't great, either). It's a great area for access to Bergstrom, though -- all that was between us and the airport were two stop signs in the neighborhood, and then you just went MoPac to Ben White.

• Like 1

There are lots of developments out east near Bergstrom, e.g., Easton Park. People who are moving here from out-of-state and don't know any better are snatching them up. The schools out there are Del Valle, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new developments take the area over, a la Dripping Springs over the past 15 years.

I hear ya, but this is imminent. I want to steer him in the right direction. Especially since I am contract haha.

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] Congrats on the job!!   Mueller area is nice and not too far.  

Thanks. But that might be too expensive. Again, I don’t know budget, but I wouldn’t think it would be more than $450-500k.

We lived near Brodie and Davis up until about a year ago. Elementary school in our neighborhood was good, but the middle school was so-so and the neighborhood mostly fed into Crockett (which isn't terrible, but isn't great, either). It's a great area for access to Bergstrom, though -- all that was between us and the airport were two stop signs in the neighborhood, and then you just went MoPac to Ben White.

We used to live in Westcreek of William Cannon. Loved that location. Fucked up not buying.

Easton Park is a nice neighborhood and they are newer homes. They are starting construction on a new development at the front of the neighborhood with a CVS/ Summer Moon Coffee and McDonalds. South Park Meadows is really close with everything you get in any suburb shopping center.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7204-Brick-Slope-Path_Austin_TX_78744_M77673-99032

Commute would be really nice.

There is an elementary in the neighborhood but it feeds to Del Valle HS and a pretty mediocre junior high. 

• Like 1

We actually just bought a new home just south of 45 toll off Bliss Spiller. Me and the wife both work Southwest Austin so our commute is different but we absolutely love the area. Close enough to Austin to go in whenever we want, but you also feel jus the right amount of disconnected. 

• Like 1

Lot of hidden lots and neighborhoods in SE Austin near McKinney Park and south of slaughter or Old Lockhart Rd. The Goodnight is a mixed development that could be an alternative to Easton Park. Easton Park has lots of amenities with pools and trails and dog parks, but seemed like everyone had to park in the street even though everyone has a garage. If I remember right they have a pretty high tax rate for a Del Valle ISD.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Does he have kids that he needs to put in school?

He has one that will be in 1st grade and speaks Spanish (not sure about his level of English).  I assume good schools and amenities are high on their list.

I should mention that he is aware that real estate in Austin is ridiculous.  And I think that is why he asked me for help, after all, this isn't part of my job.  He really should be in Houston, but this company has some issues (mostly because of acquisitions) when it comes to centralization.  Anyways, it looks like he is headed there, rather than here, so I am trying to help him out.  Hopefully helping him, helps me.

We actually just bought a new home just south of 45 toll off Bliss Spiller. Me and the wife both work Southwest Austin so our commute is different but we absolutely love the area. Close enough to Austin to go in whenever we want, but you also feel jus the right amount of disconnected. 
If you don't get some brisket & cee-ment pond time from [mention=453]paco[/mention] then you're doing it wrong. He's the Manchaca Welcome Wagon.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

If he's working near ABIA then I might see what's available in Bastrop.
This is the correct answer. Plenty of amenities if you are 15 minutes W of the commercial strip in Bastrop (Mr. Butts house of groceries, Whataburger, Academy, Home Depot) & maybe another 20 minutes in rush hour to ABIA.

I cannot speak to the quality / ratings for schools.

If he DOES get into Del Valle, the kid would have an easy time chatting with a large % of the other kids, so there's that...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We live in north Austin, two exits south of round rock. My wife just started a job in del Valle. She takes 183 and hops off at Loyola then jumps back on right before the bridge to avoid the tolls. Takes her 30 minutes to get to DV. Free flowing traffic all the way, that new 183 is pretty great.
  • Like 2

We live in north Austin, two exits south of round rock. My wife just started a job in del Valle. She takes 183 and hops off at Loyola then jumps back on right before the bridge to avoid the tolls. Takes her 30 minutes to get to DV. Free flowing traffic all the way, that new 183 is pretty great.

… for now.

Damn. I’d love to be a fly on the wall when his wife gets to see the hoods she’s gonna have to live in after coming from Europe. All those amenities like a WalMart, Academy, Big Lots, and a Mr Gattis are sure to impress. She’s gonna blame her husband and he’s gonna blame you for it.

You may be asked to find a divorce attorney next, right before you have to update your resume.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 2:50 PM, Paco said:

Manchaca is closed.

I just saw a development sign today.  You're about to get a mixed-use project at the southwest corner of Bliss Spillar and whatever they call that tollway (Mopac?  45?).  Sounds like maybe a little Domain for the bubbas.  The only thing missing is a trendy nickname.  

• Like 1