Escuela Me on Mexican Music

MaybeACoordinator

11 minutes ago, po elvis said:

went to a Mana concert a couple years ago. had a great time. knew like one song. didn't understand any lyrics. but there were some caliente chicas there and they were really into it. if they were an American band playing their music in English it would probably be something i despise, but it worked in Spanish.

Mana has some decent tunes, but are addicted to making some of the most cheeseball videos out there, embarrassing things where Fher (the lead singer) is sitting his mopey middle-age white ass out somewhere being all poetic and playing with his hair. Now, maybe that works in Mexico, where maybe they see any middle-age white dude as Brad Pitt's cousin. I suspect they do. But for us, I recommend cranking the volume while minimizing the window.

If you have zero interest in music, and just want to meet women, grow a three-day stubble, pop the collar on a shiny shirt, and show up at a Chayanne concert.

1 hour ago, GotThatFire said:

I like that romantic, relaxing peaceful guitar type shit, Mexican or other. Wish I knew how to search for it other than shazaming songs at my wife's parents house. 

It's been a while since I last used Pandora, but I remember that you'd feed it a few songs you already liked, and then it would try to find more that had the same vibe.

With varying levels of success. But it did work sometimes.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 2:49 PM, GotThatFire said:

I like that romantic, relaxing peaceful guitar type shit, Mexican or other. Wish I knew how to search for it other than shazaming songs at my wife's parents house. 

like this?

los panchos who are mostly mexican

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

If you want to dig into the roots of half of modern Mexican Pop, an efficient place to start is Timbiriche. Started as a kid's band in the early 80s, lots of people passed through it as singers, musicians, producers...

I just returned from a graduation party of a fancy all-girls school in guadalajara.  the kids knew all the lyrics and choreography of songs their parents were into.

flans "no controles" (cover of a spanish group's original)

magneto "vuela vuela" (cover of original song of some french group)

they played some remix of this song

• Like 1

I just returned from a graduation party of a fancy all-girls school in guadalajara.  the kids knew all the lyrics and choreography of songs their parents were into.

One thing I love about Mexico is they will not throw out anything that can still be useful, whether that's a house, VW bug, or a good old song. I run into 18 year old Mexicans who grew up in Alabama who can belt out some Vicente.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump. Stumbled along this thread. Here’s a primer on mariachi, not in any order. 

1. Best of Los Panchos, Double CD

2. Anything Juan Gabriel

3. Luis Miguel, Romance and Segundo Romance albums

4. Linda Ronstadt, Canciones de Mi Padre album 

5. Chente aka Vicente Fernandez. Anything and everything. 

6. Cuco Sánchez, Fallaste Corazón (Luis Miguel and Veronica Castro did a solid version)

7. Rocío Dúrcal, Amor Eterno

8. Pedro Infante, Cien Años 

9. Los Dandy’s, especially Gema

10. The Best of Joe Fred Volumes 1 and 2. Especially, No Me Amenaces and Si No Dejan. Y’all may know him Jose Alfredo Jimenez. 

Exhibit A of why I have always dated mostly Mexicanas. Ahua!

• Hook 'Em 2