Golfer's/Tennis Elbow

Back to the strap on my arm.  It keeps the tendon from pulling on the elbow, thus allows the irritation and inflammation to go away.  Since I'm having a flare up right now, I've been wearing it all day long.  If I'm smart, I will continue to use it when doing things that irritate the elbow like using the leaf blowers, swimming, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

have you gotten a cortizone shot?  that was the only thing that helped albeit temporarily.  

no, saw the doc a couple months ago and she said heat and gave me some scrip pain pills.  but that was before it was stiff in the mornings. 

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

no, saw the doc a couple months ago and she said heat and gave me some scrip pain pills.  but that was before it was stiff in the mornings. 

with my elbow tendinitis i was given shots every few months and then told to ice.  but that was 20+ years ago.  a little over a decade ago i had tendinitis in my heel and along with cortisone was told to apply heat.  it does seem contradictory.  

I get tennis elbow when I play golf (likely speaks to the quality of my swing; can't even get the right fucking ailment). Not really for sleeping purposes, but TheraBand flex bar exercise thing works really well for me (when I actually use it).

Looks like this (not me in pic)

_mg_0105_wide-b30c16c003ab0f1dd9fac17809

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I get tennis elbow when I play golf (likely speaks to the quality of my swing; can't even get the right fucking ailment). Not really for sleeping purposes, but TheraBand flex bar exercise thing works really well for me (when I actually use it).
Looks like this (not me in pic)
_mg_0105_wide-b30c16c003ab0f1dd9fac17809dea05bbc0861bc.jpg
This shit works great. And feels like a big dildo in your hands.
  • Like 1

I battled TE for almost two years. Ice didn’t work for me. Heat was better. The Bandit brace helped as well as did the Theraband (sp?) exercises. I was given the wristband thing to wear at night but I could not sleep wearing it. I saw two ortho surgeons and had three cortisone shots spread out over nine months and I did formal physical therapy for several months and i went to a chiropractor for the Graston treatment (hurt like hell but it helped). I ate ibuprofen like candy until it affected my kidney function. I was scheduled for surgery but i got a second opinion and was talked out of it. Lay off the offending activity until you have zero pain for two months. TE sucks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, pearlandhorn said:

I had it probably 5 years ago caused by prolonged sitting at my desk and the angle my elbow rested on the desk. Doctor gave my a wrist brace and told me to stand up at my desk more. Pain went away after a few months. I only wore the brace at work.

This is probably why I have TE. I play golf but maybe 1-2 times a year. I use the previously mentioned theraband/dildo bar and wear an elbow sleeve and both are great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was out of tennis for 14 months. I ended up resting, squeezing a tennis ball, using that twist exercise like that video, compression sleeve, deep tissue massage, PT, platelet therapy, weight training (now) and correcting my form. In the end I think all of it helped but rest was a huge part of it, I took something like 10-12 weeks off completely.  None of that would have mattered had I not corrected my form.  Once I came back, I was still sensitive and the compression sleeve helped a lot. I’ve only recently stopped using it. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/28/2021 at 5:18 AM, HouTex said:

I battled TE for almost two years. Ice didn’t work for me. Heat was better. The Bandit brace helped as well as did the Theraband (sp?) exercises. I was given the wristband thing to wear at night but I could not sleep wearing it. I saw two ortho surgeons and had three cortisone shots spread out over nine months and I did formal physical therapy for several months and i went to a chiropractor for the Graston treatment (hurt like hell but it helped). I ate ibuprofen like candy until it affected my kidney function. I was scheduled for surgery but i got a second opinion and was talked out of it. Lay off the offending activity until you have zero pain for two months. TE sucks.

This. Long term rest is the best option, assuming you don't require surgery. Short term, you have to get rid of the inflammation which gets rid of the pain. The pressure point sleeve might work for you. Cortisone shots definitely help.

But don't confuse reduced inflammation as fully healed. You might needs weeks or months to heal. You will need to get accustomed to different warm up exercises and perhaps changing your workout completely. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I played thru my tennis elbow. Got a better racket with perimeter weighting, changed out the grip frequently and the problem went away, relatively quickly.

I've heard lots of people say this, for me I was too far gone.  I played in a doubles championship and thought I could just play through it and ripped my elbow apart.  I'm lucky I didn't have a surgery requiring tear.  not ignoring pain ever again at my age.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've heard lots of people say this, for me I was too far gone.  I played in a doubles championship and thought I could just play through it and ripped my elbow apart.  I'm lucky I didn't have a surgery requiring tear.  not ignoring pain ever again at my age.

Same for me. Same thing with the doubles (mixed) tournament as well. I always healed quickly and I thought TE was something that would resolve itself by just taking it easy a bit. Also, it’s not a one size fits all injury. So the problem is that you can’t know until it’s too late whether you have a bad case that requires months, or years, of treatment.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, troph said:

6 hours ago, HouTex said:

Same for me. Same thing with the doubles (mixed) tournament as well. I always healed quickly and I thought TE was something that would resolve itself by just taking it easy a bit. Also, it’s not a one size fits all injury. So the problem is that you can’t know until it’s too late whether you have a bad case that requires months, or years, of treatment.

I assume TE runs the gamut from slight inflammation to tears in tendon. when I had it, I couldn't even open a door know with my right hand. Cortisone shots provided immediate relief but it actually only made it worse because I thought it was healed. The shots were only a temp solution and long term rest was the best solution.

Years later I can sometimes feel slight inflammation that usually occur if I fail to warm up, or have neglected TE exercises.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I assume TE runs the gamut from slight inflammation to tears in tendon. when I had it, I couldn't even open a door know with my right hand. Cortisone shots provided immediate relief but it actually only made it worse because I thought it was healed. The shots were only a temp solution and long term rest was the best solution.
Years later I can sometimes feel slight inflammation that usually occur if I fail to warm up, or have neglected TE exercises.

Same here. As part of my weight lifting routine I do wrist curls 3-4x per week. The PTs start with one pounders (some say to start with a can of soup) and I’m up to 12 lbs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm still tender in my elbow especially when lifting weights.  I do weights to strength the injury spot but I have to be careful.  I have zero pain but I can feel the weakness if that makes sense.  At this point I use good form in all exercise but especially tennis, rest, squeeze a tennis ball in the car, and weights to prevent it from happening again.  it never really occurred to me that power comes from the torque in your core and the rotation through the swing.  I just assumed it was arm strength.  I'm kinda dumb that way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Seems like this thread has taken a turn toward the lateral side (tennis elbow) rather than the medial side (golfers elbow, why isn't it just called golf elbow?).

I have dealt with medial epicondylitis (golf elbow) since January of this year.  I got it in both elbows.  I returned to rock climbing after knee surgery, so the loss of strength/tendon pliability from not climbing, weight gain from rehab/holidays, and being too aggressive upon my return did me in.

At least on the medial side, rest is only recommended while there is pain in passive positions, which is treated with the usual over the counter stuff.

Once you are pain free at rest, then you can begin t do the thera bar stuff along with other exercises prescribed.   

I was fortunate in that I only climber for a few weeks after the condition developed.  Many climbers and golfers grind through this condition for months or even years, which ends up remodeling the tendons in a whacky state and takes longer to unwhack, as it were.

Neverless, I think my condition ventured over into the tendonosis side rather than the tendonitis side, with tendonosis being a more chronic condition that simple rest will not heal on its own.

I was able to cure the right elbow with an upper limb control class that I got online.  The left side improved also but has remained stubbornly sore when activated.

I finally started seeing a PT about 3 weeks ago to deal with this and a shoulder issue, both of which seem like low hanging fruit to cure.  Right now we are doing some dry needling along with some exercises that I have not tried in the past.  There has been some improvement.

I recommend a an infrared heating pad to aid in healing and reducing pain.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 months later...

Do we have any ortho docs here? I'm pretty sure I tore a tendon or ligament in my elbow fully yesterday. It had been bothering me for months if not years occasionally and I have been lifting but obviously avoiding anything that causes pain, doing presses only to 90 degrees, etc. Ironically it was fine during my workout yesterday but after I got home I was moving a light box and I had to yelp out in pain. Could hardly move it for a few minutes. Lots of ice and naproxen and it's still messed up today. I do not have full range of motion. I cannot extend my arm out flat, as if I were in a begin position for a curl. Alternately in the curl position I cannot get my hand near my shoulder at the top of a curl. The pain is both at the point of my elbow and on the outside of inner arm/elbow. I've torn knee ligaments and this feels more like an injury of that nature than tendinitis.  I ordered an infrared heating pad, just wondering if anyone might have an informal diagnosis and thoughts on what next steps might be if something is torn. At 44 I don't really want to have reconstructive surgery but I also really enjoy lifting weights. I will make a Dr appt but given the time of year and the status of hospitals around here I don't think I'm going to have any answers for awhile.