Eat-Mor-Chikin: My Pleasure

Enchubben

Chik-fil-a is excellent regardless, but a fucking god send if you have kids. How on earth it didn’t have its own thread here (that I could find) is unacceptable.

1) excellent chicken in any format, nuggets, strips or sandwiches;

2)pretty dang good lemonade;

3)best customer service of any fast food;

4)the most generous rewards program out there and a great app.

Made a custom breakfast sandwich on the app this morning to recreate the sausage McMuffin+. English muffin, add sausage, American cheese and bacon. Cost 1.35 and it rocked.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So you’re poor and a commie.

Yeah.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Does this include the cost of the $3k flight? Do they suck your dick and hand you a wad of 100s when you get there?

I've never paid $3k for a flight to China. Our round-trip tickets were usually $1400, using either ANA or KAL (fantastic airlines for int'l travel, by the way), going from LAX to Incheon to Qingdao.

Why Qingdao? Two reasons. One, it's my wife's hometown, and two, it is fucking beer country. Because when Europe occupied China, the Germans had Qingdao, and they built a brewery there. Now the entire Laoshan province is full of breweries, and the shit is pretty damned good. If you ever head out that way, try Laoshan #5, if you can find it. They pour it straight from a cask into plastic bags that you can take home -- you pay by the yuan. So you'll say "er yuan pi jiu" and get yourself a bagful of beer for the evening. (Pouring beer out of a bag into a glass is difficult.)

Of course, if you're white, you'll pay 20 for that. They know not to do that to me in the local neighborhood, but if I ever leave, I have to make myself scarce while my wife orders for me.

Also, if you go to large chains, like KFC, the prices are right there on the menu, so you won't get ripped off. And they are always sold out of nuggets, so you have to wait for them to be fried fresh... Yum. :P 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s clean, it’s good, they get you in and out. You see the line and think no way, but it always works out. 

I still think their spicy chicken sandwich (not the deluxe) is the best in the industry, but agree that some jalapeños would take it to 11.

Better than Popeye's?

Just now, Rimbo said:

Better than Popeye's?

Yeah, cause I like the spice in the batter and not just the mayo sauce. On balance, it’s better especially since they ALWAYS have it and I don’t have to go to a Popeyes. The worst run CFA I have been in blows the best run Popeyes out of the water. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Oh, and another reason to go Incheon -> Qingdao to get into China? Absolutely zero customs whatsoever. They basically assume that nobody smuggling anything into or out of the country would ever use that route, for some weird reason, so I've literally just walked straight to the bus from my plane.

And even if they did, we have friends there who are happy to help if we needed it.

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah.

I've never paid $3k for a flight to China. Our round-trip tickets were usually $1400, using either ANA or KAL (fantastic airlines for int'l travel, by the way), going from LAX to Incheon to Qingdao.

Why Qingdao? Two reasons. One, it's my wife's hometown, and two, it is fucking beer country. Because when Europe occupied China, the Germans had Qingdao, and they built a brewery there. Now the entire Laoshan province is full of breweries, and the shit is pretty damned good. If you ever head out that way, try Laoshan #5, if you can find it. They pour it straight from a cask into plastic bags that you can take home -- you pay by the yuan. So you'll say "er yuan pi jiu" and get yourself a bagful of beer for the evening. (Pouring beer out of a bag into a glass is difficult.)

Of course, if you're white, you'll pay 20 for that. They know not to do that to me in the local neighborhood, but if I ever leave, I have to make myself scarce while my wife orders for me.

Also, if you go to large chains, like KFC, the prices are right there on the menu, so you won't get ripped off. And they are always sold out of nuggets, so you have to wait for them to be fried fresh... Yum. :P 

China is on my shortlist of places I'd like to see eventually. Some of the countryside is incredibly beautiful from what I've seen.

Obviously it's a bit of a nervous proposition, though. 

Just now, ztejas said:

China is on my shortlist of places I'd like to see eventually. Some of the countryside is incredibly beautiful from what I've seen.

Obviously it's a bit of a nervous proposition, though. 

It is. But the pollution is so bad now, it's hard to see. And they've repainted a lot of the old buildings (think this kind of badness) in the Forbidden City and whatever, painting over a lot of the original detail.

It's been a few years since I've been there. But the pollution is just unimaginably bad. One time, I washed my hands, stepped outside, walked around for fifteen minutes without touching anything, came back home and washed my hands... and black soot came off of them.

44 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It is. But the pollution is so bad now, it's hard to see. And they've repainted a lot of the old buildings (think this kind of badness) in the Forbidden City and whatever, painting over a lot of the original detail.

It's been a few years since I've been there. But the pollution is just unimaginably bad. One time, I washed my hands, stepped outside, walked around for fifteen minutes without touching anything, came back home and washed my hands... and black soot came off of them.

I was under the impression the pollution had improved in recent years. Maybe not.

53 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah.

It’s a deal.  It’s a steal.  It’s the sale of the fucking century.  In fact, you know what?  Fuck it, Nick, I think I’ll keep it.   

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You know who else loves those?

everyone GIF

Yes. Yes they do.

But they don't love tacos. At all. Or burritos. Not too fond of pizza. Don't eat hot dogs at all. Burgers? Only if they are fried chicken burgers. So among the fast food options, you have noodle shops and fried chicken joints.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah.

sweet, sweet. bookmarked for the next time I’m in Laoshan province. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yes. Yes they do.

But they don't love tacos. At all. Or burritos. Not too fond of pizza. Don't eat hot dogs at all. Burgers? Only if they are fried chicken burgers. So among the fast food options, you have noodle shops and fried chicken joints.

Fucking heathens.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Their chicken breakfast 

Biscuits are sublime.

And I'll take any on of you mouthbreathers if you think otherwise, Unless yer really big. Then I'll take 2 biscuits, and be on my way.  You can revel in your ignorance.

I just fucking wish Whataburger could start making chicken like CFA so I could have a spicy chicken biscuit on the jalapeño cheddar biscuit.   

• Hook 'Em 2

Overrated. The sandwiches that come in the pouch are soggy even 1 minute after opening the package. Fries are meh. My 5 year old loves Canes and hates CFA. If I’m going to buy fried chicken, it will be from Raising Canes. 

The only thing that Chick Fil A does well is their tea. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Overrated. The sandwiches that come in the pouch are soggy even 1 minute after opening the package. Fries are meh. My 5 year old loves Canes and hates CFA. If I’m going to buy fried chicken, it will be from Raising Canes. 

The only thing that Chick Fil A does well is their tea. 

Haven't ever had raising canes chicken , but what are your thoughts on whataburger ?

Cause that  would seriously affect my reliance on your critique of chick fil a

pro tip: again, their breakfast chicken biscuit  is among the best in the business 

CFA is the intersection of "just good enough" quality and extraordinary speed/service for a fast food joint.  There are numerous places that have better chicken, more options etc but they are not so much better than when one is looking for the fast food experience that they are gonna put up with a drive, a wait, a fucked up order whatever.   It's a brilliant way to run a fast food business because that's really the sweet spot. "I want to eat, or I need to feed all these fucking kids, I just want it to not be a hassle."  

The food is nothing special.  The "fast" is exceptionally special.

And agree, when it does come to the food breakfast is what they do best.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

CFA is the intersection of "just good enough" quality and extraordinary speed/service for a fast food joint.  There are numerous places that have better chicken, more options etc but they are not so much better than when one is looking for the fast food experience that they are gonna put up with a drive, a wait, a fucked up order whatever.   It's a brilliant way to run a fast food business because that's really the sweet spot. "I want to eat, or I need to feed all these fucking kids, I just want it to not be a hassle."  

The food is nothing special.  The "fast" is exceptionally special.

And agree, when it does come to the food breakfast is what they do best.

Spot on. The food is just okay at best. It’s every other little detail that they nail. Service, cleanliness, speed, packaging, etc. Hell their employees are trained so well they won’t even say “no problem” when you thank them. They say “my pleasure”. They even have the best ketchup packets. Just goes to show there is a lot more to a good restaurant than good food.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, cause I like the spice in the batter and not just the mayo sauce. On balance, it’s better especially since they ALWAYS have it and I don’t have to go to a Popeyes. The worst run CFA I have been in blows the best run Popeyes out of the water. 

There's a new Popeye's close to me. They've been open like 6 months, and they've already nailed the Popeye's guest experience. They're always out of something I want, the drive through line takes hours, the food is usually cold, and they almost always get my order wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Their chicken breakfast 

Biscuits are sublime.

And I'll take on any of you mouthbreathers if you think otherwise, Unless yer really big. Then I'll take 2 biscuits, and be on my way.  You can revel in your ignorance.

when oldest son was on deployment that's all he talked about craving before he got back.  Really?  no enchilada plate? No Cen-Tex brisket?

Nope, just Hu-Bu-Cu-Ba, also known as Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit.