Trust The Process

Goo Punch

A thread for the Sixers and Sixers related info, discussion, and debate. To start:

f458d7560d10dedb5845cdf5244d3910.jpg

Would be the best for both parties and would be huge for the Sixers. JJ will have to take a pay cut, but I think he believes in The Process and sees a chance for him to play for a title before he retires. I really hope that a deal gets done.

I declare The Process a success, even if they botch this off-season and don't do much in the 2019 playoffs. They have shown that full-on tanking, combined with disciplined cap management even in the tank years, gives you enough draft bullets and money to make a run at the top of your conference. It's a multi-year thing but it doesn't have to take forever.

The most impressive aspects to me were keeping the coaching staff together (and sane), as well as identifying a handful of cheap keepers from the tank years like Covington and TJ McConnell. Also the perfect timing on stashing Saric and bringing him over.

There will always be risks, like Embiid's health. And there will always be busts like Jah Okafor. I'm really only mad at the Fultz-Tatum (plus a future #1) trade and that's mainly because it was to our main rival. They thought Fultz would be a key piece which is fine, but even if he worked out better why give the Celtics such a lift as well?

How they use their salary room this summer is basically the final move(s) before The Process reaches completion.

If they had stayed at 3 and drafted Tatum instead of Fultz, they'd be in the ECF right now.  Bryan Colangelo is a mediocre, at best, GM and really just a stand in for his pops.  He traded away a lot of capital on the cheap and now needs to make a move this year before extending Simmons in a couple of years.  Embiid and Simmons may be enough in the shitty East but imagine if they hadn't sold Noel and Okafor for nothing and picked Tatum without flipping a first for the rights to Fultz.... In a lot of ways, Atlanta tanking saved his bacon this year.

That all makes sense, but I do give Bryan credit for some of the moves like Redick, Ilyasova and Belinelli, all of whom really solidified a roster that wasn't very deep until late in the season. Noel just ran out of time contract-wise, and they did get another contributor back in Justin Anderson (who really should have played more last week). Okafor was simply a bust, they probably should have traded down but at the time it looked like he could at least score in the NBA. It happens.

The Tatum thing hurts. Before the draft there was a lot of buzz that he was actually the most NBA ready guy out there. He wasn't a perfect system fit, but damn don't hand him along with a No. 1 to your rival who is already loaded.

14 minutes ago, Bartles said:

That all makes sense, but I do give Bryan credit for some of the moves like Redick, Ilyasova and Belinelli, all of whom really solidified a roster that wasn't very deep until late in the season. Noel just ran out of time contract-wise, and they did get another contributor back in Justin Anderson (who really should have played more last week). Okafor was simply a bust, they probably should have traded down but at the time it looked like he could at least score in the NBA. It happens.

The Tatum thing hurts. Before the draft there was a lot of buzz that he was actually the most NBA ready guy out there. He wasn't a perfect system fit, but damn don't hand him along with a No. 1 to your rival who is already loaded.

That was my point..... good thing the Hawks are fairly incompetent and just outright waived Ilyasova and Belinelli.  Those guys should have been traded although the Sixers were already in talks to acquire Marco.

Okafor was a bad pick and that's on his predecessor but more on ownership as it's heavily rumored they pressured Hinkie into the selection.

Keeping a solid bench guy around..... He's cheap as hell so no brainer.

Maybe losing a key assistant....

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

I declare The Process a success, even if they botch this off-season and don't do much in the 2019 playoffs. They have shown that full-on tanking, combined with disciplined cap management even in the tank years, gives you enough draft bullets and money to make a run at the top of your conference. It's a multi-year thing but it doesn't have to take forever.

I mean, I guess the ends justify the means but I still think it's deplorable. Somehow Boston managed to be in just as good if not a better situation without subjecting their fan base and season ticket holders to half a decade of completely unwatchable basketball. Golden State built themselves a monster through the draft (and a fortuitous rise in the cap that brought them KD) and did it without having a top 5 pick. Same thing with the Rockets -- they haven't had a top 10 pick in a decade. I still think there are much better ways to build a team without making a mockery of the sport and taking a jackhammer to the nuts of your fanbase.

• Like 1

I should clarify that while The Process succeeded, it is not good for fans nor advisable for a bunch of teams to emulate. The Sixers took advantage of the rules at the time. There were years of unintentional failure which made it more palatable to us, at least Hinkie had a plan and executed it. Ideally the NBA figures out a system to discourage another Process attempt.

It's also hilarious that Embiid adopted that as his nickname

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, immortal13 said:

No way I would pick him in the top 10

Not if I was building a team. Philly is right there though, and Young wouldn’t even be a starter, he’d be the exact type of complimentary piece they’d need going forward, and on a rookie contract no less. JJ Redick will likely re-sign for one more year at a discounted rate simply because he wants to, but this pick especially makes since if they can’t work that out. Having Trae Young as your fourth best player is great in the East, especially so if Bronny goes west.

Edited by Goo Punch

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That might be the best article I'e ever read from The Ringer. It's excellently written and sets a new standard for online sports journalism.

And if any of it is true, Colangelo is gone.

The NBA installed the Colangelos in Philly. He and his dad are considered untouchable. I’m not sure they don’t laugh this one off. But it might kill their chances at LeBron and a lot of other free agents for a while. Not to mention what it does for team morale. 

8 hours ago, satyanash said:

That might be the best article I'e ever read from The Ringer. It's excellently written and sets a new standard for online sports journalism.

And if any of it is true, Colangelo is gone.

Colangelo got nailed harder than Daniel Figurelli.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Machinator said:

What experience does Elton Brand have that prepares him for being an NBA GM?

Not a ton, he was a player development consultant starting in 2016 and was GM of Philly's G League affiliate last year.  Duke grad, 17 years in the NBA as a player.  

How much experience do coaches who get player personnel control really have?  How many times have they been successful?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

• 4 weeks later...