Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

He's already showing that he's a special type of player. It's crazy.

Listening to Ross Tucker on the radio just now. Said he was at Micah Parsons first game in high school and he was playing as a freshman. Had 5 sacks. Penn St offered him a scholarship by his 4th game his freshman year in high school.

This made me curious so I looked it up - Parsons was the #5 overall recruit in 2018.

Top 2 recruits that year were Lawrence and Fields. #6 was Patrick Surtain.

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Pollard is the best back on the Cowboys, feels like Zeke will be gonezo after this year.

Any way we can trade him? I have no idea what his contract looks like and what the market for a declining RB would be. I like the 2 RB system we have. We can keep both of them fresh. Both bring different things to the table. Pollard is more of a scat back who can get us the big plays. Zeke can get the tougher yards. 

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Any way we can trade him? I have no idea what his contract looks like and what the market for a declining RB would be. I like the 2 RB system we have. We can keep both of them fresh. Both bring different things to the table. Pollard is more of a scat back who can get us the big plays. Zeke can get the tougher yards. 

I agree turning Pollard into a workhorse wouldn't be the answer.  Offload Zeke and get someone cheaper to get the tough yards.  There is no market for Zeke with his current contract. 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Pollard is the best back on the Cowboys, feels like Zeke will be gonezo after this year.

Very doubtful.  We already restructured his deal.  Zeke is very likely here next year and probably 2023 as well.  FWIW, Zeke has played really well the first two games but Pollard has juice or explosiveness that Zeke (or most guys) doesn't possess.  I don't think Pollard could hold up to 325-350 touches per year consistently but he's been playing great.  Needs to be a bit wiser in when he decides to take out kick returns though.  SD goaded him into taking it out on the final drive and he took the bait and he barely got to the 25 and we took a penalty to put us around the 10 yard line.  It's not the first time he's done this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

When is Pollard's deal up? Wonder what he'll be asking for when they guy he's better than with the ball in his hands got a massive deal

After next year.  It's important to remind folks that the running back UFA market is lacking these days.  Most teams (outside of the Cowboys) have learned that RBs are extremely fungible.  The last big FA deal where a guy changed teams was Bell and that was a disaster.  Money is better used at other positions.  This will probably create a very limited market for Pollard.  Not saying he wouldn't jump, but the money probably won't be enormous.

We also do not rely on the RB like we used to. Zeke and Murray were bell cow RBs and the offense went as they did. Especially Dak's rookie year. Now, this offense goes as Dak goes and we pass much more and are more efficient at it. We do not need a high dollar RB any longer who carries the offense like we used to. This offense has a much different look and feel than it did early on under Dak. If Pollard wants too much money, we can go draft his replacement. I like what he has done so far but I hope this front office has learned about overpaying for RBs. Pollard's replacement can be found with ease in any given draft.

My main question is what do we do at WR? Gallup's rookie deal is nearing an end. I doubt we can or should pay big contracts to Amari, Gallup and Lamb. I would think Gallup would be on the outside looking in, right? 

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

We also do not rely on the RB like we used to. Zeke and Murray were bell cow RBs and the offense went as they did. Especially Dak's rookie year. Now, this offense goes as Dak goes and we pass much more and are more efficient at it. We do not need a high dollar RB any longer who carries the offense like we used to. This offense has a much different look and feel than it did early on under Dak. If Pollard wants too much money, we can go draft his replacement. I like what he has done so far but I hope this front office has learned about overpaying for RBs. Pollard's replacement can be found with ease in any given draft.

My main question is what do we do at WR? Gallup's rookie deal is nearing an end. I doubt we can or should pay big contracts to Amari, Gallup and Lamb. I would think Gallup would be on the outside looking in, right? 

Personally, I really like what we've seen out of Cedrick Wilson.  I love Gallup, but once he comes back from injury I'd be looking at other teams and seeing if we could get some comp for him.  It's either that, or we have the ability to get out of Amari's contract after this season and we let him go and sign Gallup longterm.   

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No, he’s not the best back. Zeke is better. You’re still a moron. 

It's not even that hot of a take. The only thing Zeke does better is block. He's still fine and useful for now, but not past this year at the price tag. You continue to be a butthurt bitch.

Edited by Pam Cummings

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Personally, I really like what we've seen out of Cedrick Wilson.  I love Gallup, but once he comes back from injury I'd be looking at other teams and seeing if we could get some comp for him.  It's either that, or we have the ability to get out of Amari's contract after this season and we let him go and sign Gallup longterm.   

For sure. Wilson can make things happen when he gets the ball. I think Amari and Lamb mean much more than Gallup does. And we don't have the money to pay everyone. Not sure what Gallup will command in the open market.

5 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Didn't they also say Steele didnt allow a pressure?

image.png.04d142fa332280c0d6a9db13cfeb65da.png

No, I think he gave up no sacks, which was great going against Bosa, but his pass protection was competent (yes, he received a ton of help), while his run blocking was pretty good.

Pass protection:

Overall, Steele received 79 grade which of course means he was much better run blocking.  Still a WIP in pass pro.

On a completely different note, if Stafford stays healthy (big if), the rams are far and away the best team in the nfc. I don’t think that’s recency bias. They’re better than the Bucs. They could play that game 10 times at a neutral site and win 7 times. It’s laughable to think that there were people that tried to argue that Stafford wouldn’t make that much of a difference because he isn’t that much better than Goff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rams aren't doing anything they did not already do with Goff. McVey is the common denominator. Stafford didn't do shit in Detroit and now Goff isn't. Switch both of them and the Rams are doing what they have been doing this whole time which is win games. Are you already forgetting the 2018 season under Goff? They also got to the divisional round last year. You are acting like Stafford took over some shit team and instantly elevated them.

11 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

On a completely different note, if Stafford stays healthy (big if), the rams are far and away the best team in the nfc. I don’t think that’s recency bias. They’re better than the Bucs. They could play that game 10 times at a neutral site and win 7 times. It’s laughable to think that there were people that tried to argue that Stafford wouldn’t make that much of a difference because he isn’t that much better than Goff. 

stafford is tier one with brady and rodgers and mahomes