COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Never really stuck with me either.  I mean I can watch videos and shows now and see that the guy was vlearly super talented. But it just was not in my parents music mix and so never really entered my consciousness front and center growing up.  And didn't really creep in later.  Seemed too dramatic. 

There was plenty of that overwrought pop dreck going on at the time, for sure.

Laura Brannigan -- "Gloria"

Kim Carnes -- "Betty Davis Eyes"

Bonnie Tyler -- "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (ironically written by Jim Steinman)

Air Supply "Making Love Out of Nothing At All" (see Steinman)

Nothing but crappy schock.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:31 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

She capitalized almost every word and didn’t use spaces after commas.  Covid is too good for her.

why are or, every, and other not capitalized?

She's Cher, and Cher can type however she damn well pleases.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

Bonnie Tyler -- "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (ironically written by Jim Steinman)

I KNOW a motherfucker didn’t just crap on Laura Brannigan…..tell me you didn’t….
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is a lot wrong with this post

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

I was in High School when Bat out of Hell II came out, and man that album was way hyped up. And we were all listening to Grunge like "what the fuck is this shit?"

I remember full page ads in Billboard for the first one before I ever heard it. Can't really remember anything getting that label push behind it.

Granted, Meatloaf...

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I was in Meat Loaf's target demo when his first album came out. As noted, there were a couple of kids in high school who were really into him, and for the rest of us, he was part of the late-70s ambiance. Pretty sure we had just survived The Great Overplaying of Frampton.

This was when you turned on whichever 3 radio stations you could get, and what they were playing was what you listened to.

I don't have specific memories of his music, it's just the sort of thing I associate with sitting in the car at Sonic, or maybe the bowling alley or the skate place. Kind of like being skinny or having hair, it was just something you assumed would always be that way.

The choice is yours, RD.  Open this spoiler.  Or not.  Are you man enough?

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I hated meat loaf as a kid, and now I love it. If you’re looking for a quick meal, Central Market’s pre-cooked meat loaf in the grab-and-go section is the shit.

Damn, I do remember grabbing some Central Market meatloaf four or five years ago now. They didn't have the King Ranch Chicken I went there for.

14 hours ago, Deej said:

1977. I'm guessing cocaine.

I was listening to Elvis Costello, the Clash, the Police, the Cars, etc. 

Meat Loaf was a hard pass for me. 

But the guys who were into Canned Heat a few years earlier were all over it. 

18 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

https://twitter.com/MPRnews/status/1485327929798275082?s=20

Man gets court injunction to stay on a vent. Family moves him to Texas. He doesn't make it.

Another unvaxxed idiot dies by being an idiot. For some unknown reason his family prefers he dies in Texas. Not sure why but I bet the reason is stupid. 

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Paul Prudhomme meat loaf with jalapeno brown gravy is the shit....If you want to get real fancy make it with ground lamb instead of ground pork (and beef). 

“Nearly Perfect Meatloaf” recipe from Petaluma Pete’s column in the AC, back when.

Edited to include the jalapeños and KC bbq sauce in the meat and bbq sauce and bacon on top.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2022 at 12:49 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

he has one of the top 10 (5?) biggest selling albums of all time? can that be right?

Fucking New Jersey and the upper East Coast ate that shit up when it was released.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't know if the word "notorious" is correct.  Is there a big nazi band scene that has infiltrated common culture I'm not aware of?

Skinheads had kind of a moment in the late '80s and early '90s and Skrewdriver was the Beatles of that scene. The singer died in 1992 or thereabouts and the whole scene was circling the drain anyway, White Power rock was a thing there for awhile. It was basically shitty punk with a lot of racial slurs in it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/22/2022 at 8:18 PM, JimmyJames said:

Meat loaf was popular for the same reason Chips was a popular TV show. Because there are a shit ton of idiots in the world.

And so you don’t call me an elitist I used to like meat loaf and chips. And the dukes of hazard. I used to be an idiot.

WTF, no.  Chips was awesome because John and Ponch were hot.  Also Bo and Luke, and for the challenged among you, Daisy.  Meat Loaf did not have that going for him.  At all.

Terrible terrible take.