COVID FAFO Roll Call

MaybeACoordinator

Rolovich is a fucking waterhead:

WASHINGTON STATE LEADERSHIP became aware of Rolovich's hesitancy toward COVID vaccines in the spring and for months provided him access to its best resources to help inform his opinion.

On April 21, Rolovich was granted an audience with Dr. Guy Palmer, a world-renowned WSU regents professor of pathology and infectious diseases.

It had been about four months since the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines were both granted emergency-use authorization by the FDA, and athletic director Pat Chun arranged for the meeting to take place.

"As I am a member of the National Academy of Medicine and not affiliated with the athletic department, Pat thought Nick may be more trusting of the information and more comfortable with a dialogue where he could ask specific questions," Palmer said.

Palmer completed a postdoctoral fellowship in vaccine immunology, leads disease control programs in Africa and Latin America and has been heavily involved in WSU's COVID-19 testing program and vaccine rollout. He is considered one of the foremost experts on vaccines in the state of Washington.

Over about an hour, Rolovich drove a conversation that focused on topics that were consistent with what Palmer said has been shared by the "anti-vax crowd on social media" over the past several years.

"Kind of typical ones: Is Bill Gates involved with the vaccines? Does [Gates] hold a patent on the vaccines?" Palmer recalled to ESPN. "He asked whether SV40 is in the vaccines and whether that could be a dangerous thing. And the answer to that is no."

SV40, also known as the simian virus 40, was found to have contaminated polio vaccines in the late 1950s and early 1960s. However, multiple studies -- including one from the Institute of Medicine Immunization Safety Review Committee in 2002 -- have not found a link between that contamination and any harmful impacts. No vaccines currently contain SV40, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and it's unclear where Rolovich would have gotten the idea it was present in COVID vaccines.

(In a text message exchange with ESPN Tuesday evening, Rolovich described it as a "nice discussion with Dr Palmer" but declined to elaborate or be interviewed further.)

"I just tried to address those kind of more specific questions that have come up and I think many of those concerns were widely shared on social media, by individuals, and I just addressed them with the best data that I could and tried to give him clear answers," Palmer said.

While Palmer left what he called "a very cordial conversation" unsure if Rolovich would get vaccinated, he felt the coach's primary concerns were about possible side effects.

"I think it's fair to say that was his major hesitancy," Palmer said. (Rolovich did not bring up any religious beliefs he felt could be in conflict with taking a vaccine, Palmer said.)

Rolovich's attorney, Brian Fahling, took issue with Palmer's interpretation of the coach's primary concerns.

"If that's the inference that the doctor drew from his conversations with Nick, I would say he is fundamentally and inescapably wrong," Fahling told ESPN Tuesday night. "He doesn't know Nick. Nick is not going to go into his religious faith or his beliefs."

Nine days after meeting with Rolovich, Palmer, who told ESPN the COVID vaccines are among the most studied and scrutinized in human history, spoke to a larger group of athletic department staffers. He discussed a wide range of topics related to vaccines from the basics to how doctors can be sure it doesn't change someone's genetic code and other misconceptions.

"There was a lot in the media about [how] this vaccine was developed in unprecedented time," Palmer said. "That was a pretty common headline. It was rolled out in pretty much unprecedented time, but it wasn't really developed in unprecedented time.

"So I tried to spend a little bit of time explaining that mRNA technology [used in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines] is by no means new and what it actually does and doesn't do."

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

So we have 26,000 city workers here not vaccinated as of yesterday evening. I think it’ll be 20k by the deadline. A lot of cops aren’t getting it and I am fine with that. Covid vaccination mandates will get rid of the excess officers that DeBlasio and the city council didn’t last summer. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:15 PM, UpperWestside said:

So we have 26,000 city workers here not vaccinated as of yesterday evening. I think it’ll be 20k by the deadline. A lot of cops aren’t getting it and I am fine with that. Covid vaccination mandates will get rid of the excess officers that DeBlasio and the city council didn’t last summer. 

So is NYPD a destination cop job that they work up to, or is it a place where they start, get experience, then move out to something comfier in the burbs?

56 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

that website is depressing (it just goes on and on) and a bit ghoulish.

I know it's going against the surly grain, but sympathy seeped in. Real people, with families. Maybe i am going soft.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I know it's going against the surly grain, but sympathy seeped in. Real people, with families. Maybe i am going soft.

the real families part gets me too.  for every 40 year old that dies from this, there are a pair of teenagers that live the rest of their life with one parent.  them looking back on it a decade from now will suck.  It's not something cool like dad died in combat or something sympathetic where mom died of breast cancer.  my perfectly healthy parent was a retard ten years ago in pursuit of a political chess game she didn't understand she was playing, and she lost. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

42 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I get what you're saying but at the end of the day, if he wasn't such a stupid cunt, he'd be alive right now and his family wouldn't be in disarray.  But he was a stupid cunt and it's his fault his family is suffering.  I'm not reveling in their pain (hopefully they learn from it and get vaxxed), just his fatal dumbassery.   The world is a better place w/out these mouthbreathers...one less problem. 

So...fuck it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

I have skipped out on this kind of thing for months, after just about od-ing on r/hermancainaward.    It has been mentioned, but it is strange to me how many people live their lives on social media and share with the world.   Like even in this story, when the man passed away the lady (wife?) posts about his death and has to put sad emoticons to let us, the ever inquisitive followers, know that she is sad.  That is very odd to me. 

Like others here, I am convinced that social media can be the devil.  Sure, there are laughs to be found, and maybe local news alerts or what not.  But I think it is a net negative more than a positive.

Facebook changing their name to "meta" and openly admitting to wanting to rule all your time didn't make things less scary to me.  

I heartily recommend this easy to read book.  I don't necessarily agree 100% with all of it, but it will get you thinking, and maybe even acting.  It certainly improved my world doing the 'digital declutter.'

51JsmX0uryL.jpg  

• Hook 'Em 2