Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

Here is the advanced box score for Texas/TTU

https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401287911

and here is the advanced stats for the conference YTD

full pictures below:

Hide contents

FAOHekAWQAIy422?format=png&name=900x900

FAOHu9yUYAgEYFC?format=png&name=small

FAOH1YxUcAMZE6O?format=png&name=360x360

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Our D has a long way to go and our O is arguably best in conference. Definitely not what I expected 4 games in.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jinx said:

Good stuff, thanks for posting. Our D has a long way to go and our O is arguably best in conference. Definitely not what I expected 4 games in.

silly me. For some reason I thought we would have a very salty defense this year. I thought the offense was very suspect early on.....

Note to board: Do not take any tips from me to your bookie!

7 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
8 hours ago, Thatguy said:
   There is a Tech board? What do they talk about?

Wanting to beat Texas, being mad that they couldn't beat Texas, and the PUF. That's pretty much it.

7 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Valtrex

6 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Sounds like they talk about all of their sports in that case

5 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

It's literally a bulletin board on the county courthouse. get there early, if they run out of push pins you're fucked.

5 hours ago, jw4381 said:

Photography Flying GIF by 60 Second Docs

blue-toronto.gif

That's why I love you guys, you never disappoint.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That was a fun read. Much like Malcolm Roach, those no-hype big Louisiana kids can really turn into something (Myron Warren aside).

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Recruiting Retrospective: How Barryn Sorrell could prove to be a diamond in the rough for Texas

ByMIKE ROACH 102 minutes ago

When Texas landed Barryn Sorrell in the 2021 class, it didn’t exactly send shockwaves through the country. The three-star defensive lineman from New Orleans (LA.) Holy Cross was previously committed to Northwestern, but an offer from Texas changed that.

Now in his first year at Texas, Sorrell is logging heavy minutes in the rotation up front accounting for 6 tackles on the year through two games played. Sorrell looks to be a young building block for Pete Kwiatkowski up front, and that’s no surprise to Sorrell’s trainer Clyde Alexander, owner and operator of “Edge Assassins” training in New Orleans.

“You know, he was one of the harder workers I had,” Alexander said. “Like, the discipline that kid had at such a young age. I remember taking them on road trips to different universities and everything and while we're on the road, everybody stopping for Popeyes to eat and everything, and Barryn’s not eating any of that He'll tell you like, ‘hey coach can we go somewhere else’ or he would go hungry. He just like he will not eat that. The kid can look at different food items and tell you how many calories are in it. That's how disciplined this kid was you know when it came to his body and all that. So, from day one I knew the kid was special. He’s doing everything right now that I thought he would be.”

Sorrell excelled on the football field, but he excelled more in the classroom. A great student with a bright future ahead, Sorrell knew early he wanted to combine strong football with strong academics. Alexander asks all of his kids where they want to ideally play so he can put together a plan for them to get there, and Sorrell always had an eye on Austin.

“From the beginning, Barryn was highly interested in Texas because he’s a highly intelligent kid. The kid graduated high school with a high GPA you know, because of taking honors classes and what have you. So, he was looking for a school that not only had a great football team in a big conference, but he was looking for a school that was high in academics in order to be successful for life after football.

“So, I would say right off the bat what I say my other kids. I ask them in a perfect world what school would you want to go to. Everybody you know from Louisiana so they say I like LSU coach, but you know that with Barryn, I remember like it was yesterday. Barryn told me Notre Dame, Penn State, Stanford, Vanderbilt. Like he wrote down all of these schools that were highly ranked academic institutions. Texas was one of them, so I just started targeting those schools that they want to go to. It took a year before that offer came and then, I didn't fully trust it because they were so close to signing day.”

Though Sorrell had finally received an offer from the Longhorns, Alexander wasn’t sure if it was just a last-minute offer to fill a spot or genuine interest. Sorrell didn’t really care as he had the education in front of him that he wanted. It all worked out for the better when Steve Sarkisian was hired and brought Bo Davis with him.

“Some teams will say we've missed out on this guy and that guy so I’d say let me circle back around just try to get something for this kid. Barryn and his father, we had to talk about that and I told him he might not want to do that. Like I said from the beginning, the kid was highly interested in Texas, so it wasn't even about football. He just said, ‘I like Texas as a university, so I'm going. We had a discussion about it and I gave him my full blessing. Not too long after that, that's when that previous staff got fired, and it was almost like a blessing.

“Coach Sarkisian was in there, but during that time, Coach Bo Davis was his was going to be the defensive line coach. A mentor of mine actually play ball with Bo, so I called them and talked to him, and after that I felt comfortable with him being in Texas. Even more so recently, you got the news that they're going to be moving to SEC, so I mean, the kid is in a perfect situation and I'm glad he's happy. I actually just talked to him the other day. When you talk to kids and you can hear that they're just genuinely happy to be where they are, that's priceless.”

Sorrell is just scratching the surface on his talent now, and Alexander is identifying areas for improvement. When Sorrell gets back to New Orleans in the offseason, Alexander has a list to work off of.

“Barryn is such a strong kid to the point where he likes to use power moves a lot. I want to work a couple of different things and add some more finesse to his game. We are going to work on adding a lot more flexibility for a kid his size. He's quick as a cat and very explosive. I would like to see him, like I said, use a little bit more finesse.

"We are going to work on some zone drops. Since he’s playing more of a linebacker role, we are going to work on some linebacker drills as well as on drops those that sort of thing. Just because of the pass-rushing, I just want to give him some tools to kind of put his tool belt to where he can succeed. He's going to be at that level playing for a long time now, so I just get them to where he can effectively pass rush and not have anybody kind of choreograph his moves.”

• Hook 'Em 2

Big XII is not strong this year at all...after a month it's clear that Texas will be challenging OU for the conference. I don't see any team that will be able to come into DKR and win so we should go undefeated at home. The only two road games I'm concerned about are Baylor/ISU but I think we at least get the split. 9-3 or 10-2 are strong possibilities and should earn a spot in Arlington for the conference title.

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'd like to see Sark find a way to get Keilon more touches.  Put him in the backfield with Bijan, maybe.  He's to explosive to not be more involved.

2 back set with the Robinsons would be unstoppable.  I'm hoping we are keeping this for RRS. We used it just once today. 

Big XII is not strong this year at all...after a month it's clear that Texas will be challenging OU for the conference. I don't see any team that will be able to come into DKR and win so we should go undefeated at home. The only two road games I'm concerned about are Baylor/ISU but I think we at least get the split. 9-3 or 10-2 are strong possibilities and should earn a spot in Arlington for the conference title.

This Texas defense can’t be counted on to just assume OSU and KSU are Ws. Oklahoma State has a salty defense and gets a bye while Texas goes and plays OU. If they limit giveaways they can absolutely beat Texas because they will put some points up on this defense. Kansas State, if Thompson is healthy, will run all over Texas. I don’t know that their defense can contain Texas but if they play ball control the way they did with OU for much of their game today there will be intense pressure for Texas to score every time they touch the ball. Both of those games can go badly if the defense remains this bad and the offense doesn’t come to play.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?