Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Books made an absolute killing on our game. Summer opening line was 16 in most places. Bet down to 9 over the last few months by all the knuckleheads who bought into the hype on that overrated Louisiana squad. Lots of whom apparently post here. 

My whooping hunnit bucks on Texas at -8.5 got me a cool 87 buckaroos. Really took it to em lol

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GTX Horn said:

I’ve got a really good feeling about this team. We should be able to handle Arky and there’s a good chance we can be 5-0 going into Dallas in October. Or maybe I’m just drunk on Kool-Aid

That was trashcan punch, but fuck it, Im in.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Bushwood said:

When saw Sark on the sidelines, it looked like he was thinking / assessing the field and the next play, especially with his clipboard.

I really appreciated that. Unlike Charlie looking like a deer in the highlights or Tom looking like scare as shit.

obligatory (i'm sorry)

OldOpenDachshund-size_restricted.gif.de18aafa69bd6b43ea9a10753f36b8fb.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

It is a good thing he is made of rubber between his scorpion last year and his flapjack this year. I would have broken in half on either of those.

Yeah, well, unlike Bijan, I assume you aren't one of the best athletes in the world

Team looked pretty well coached. ST had a punt for TD called back by penalty. (it was good call). Oline needs to get better in a hurry. LB is still a weakness. Card seemed to make good decisions except 2 times taking sack instead of throwing it out of bounds. Had a very tuff throw for a td between 2 defenders. That throw makes me a little bullish on the future. 

I fucking hated Tom Herman since the moment we got him. I hated him at UH and how he kissed his players and openly bragged about being in the insecure-people's scam that is mensa.

Tom Herman's first game at Texas came the day we started cleaning up my parent's place after Hurricane Harvey. The day before, the army corps of engineers had brough pumps to my parent's place and drained it, so that saturday was the very first day we could work at tearing it all down to the skeleton and throwing everything away. I had been up since sunrise working without electricity with my dad and brother all morning long when I snuck away to my place around noon to watch the game. I was already in a miserable mood and just wanted to watch Texas win to make me feel better. That game was our first upset to a not-good Maryland team.

Even when we had 10 wins under Herman, I still didn't like the guy. He seemed like a tiny dicked asshole even when he was winning. When they fired him, I figured Sam Ehlinger was gone too but I didn't care and just wanted to move on.

I had no prevailing opinions on Sark either way, but I knew he couldn't have been as bad as Tom Herman. Texas under Tom Herman, even if we turned the corner, would have taken on his jerkass mannerisms. Sark seems more into the job. I was really impressed by how well coached and ready to play the team looked today. This was every way a completely different beginning, feels like an entirely different team.

When I was at Texas in the mid 2000's, this was about the result I'd expect when I'd see teams ranked in the 20's on the schedule. They were probably going to be won by Texas by a lot. Hasn't been like that in over a decade.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

We have a coach who isn't an overt fucker, who understands things like context in terms of play calling, and playing the best players. Listening to him answer questions is a goddamned breath of fresh air. I can't remember another time in the last 15 years that I watched our first game and marveled at how prepared we were. 

The last time I felt like that was when Muschamp was calling plays. Teams would come back and try to run the same looks only to have Will's group eat them alive. His group dictated the playcalling on the other side, and baited you into running what they wanted you to so they could take advantage. I know it was only one game, but that's what I saw out there. I saw a coaching staff that baited their opponent into running looks only to shift into something to take advantage of it. We were not particularly great at anything, but we were prepared and showed competence across the board. Here is to hoping that's what this will be on a weekly basis. You can win a lot of games just by not beating yourself with stupidity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Team looked pretty well coached. ST had a punt for TD called back by penalty. (it was good call). Oline needs to get better in a hurry. LB is still a weakness. Card seemed to make good decisions except 2 times taking sack instead of throwing it out of bounds. Had a very tuff throw for a td between 2 defenders. That throw makes me a little bullish on the future. 

In addition to the OL struggling to protect our QB, at times the TEXAS pass rush did not get much pressure on UL.   

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A lot has been said about Sark's play calling but I want to give a shout out to PK for his.  That shit looked confusing on TV so I could only imagine what UL's OL was thinking each time someone different came screaming.

Oh yeah, apparently it's possible to hold a team (even a ranked opponent, for that matter) to less than 3 TDs. Who woulda thunk it?

Hope is a dangerous drug and Sark and PK got me relapsed on believing in Texas Football again.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On the subject of adjustments, they were successful with a little flare out to their right side line for a couple of series and after a few of those the defense adjusted by putting either a linebacker or safety out that direction and stopped that silliness. That was a nice thing to see.

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?